Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Atlas Hugged posted:

That relationship was strange. Outside of the one line earlier in the film, it's not mentioned again until the very end. They could have built that up a lot better and really ratcheted up the emotional tension and symbolism of the final battle.

The final battle was the usual marvel thing where it gets needlessly complicated just to make sure everyone has something to do. W'Kabi's move from 'I'm kind of disappointed that you didn't catch Klaw the first time out' to 'I am not merely backing the new king, but actually fighting and killing my own people for him' just felt a bit too obviously a way to give T'Challa some random goons to fight before the final showdown.

Snowman_McK fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Feb 17, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Need time to process this (generally super dug it), but between Get Out, the Black Mirror episode he was in, and this movie, Daniel Kaluuya characters have a huge habit of having his plans screwed by his lovers, doesn't he.

Also, Martin Freeman being all sorts of confused for 80% of the runtime is just wonderful.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
That cool final line "like my ancestors who threw themselves from the ships, i would rather die than be held in bondage" is insanely dumb if I don't consider it a purely metaphorical statement. Dude, your ancestors didn't do that, because the people who did that are all dead and didn't have kids.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I truly disagree with the notion that a comedic scene undercuts a dramatic scene. For me, it's super palpable to have mad tension, and then laugh as a release. It's supposed to be a calming moment to let you know that the shift has happened. I don't think it ruins anything. It just shifts it.

Adder Moray
Nov 18, 2010

MisterBibs posted:

Need time to process this (generally super dug it), but between Get Out, the Black Mirror episode he was in, and this movie, Daniel Kaluuya characters have a huge habit of having his plans screwed by his lovers, doesn't he.

Also, Martin Freeman being all sorts of confused for 80% of the runtime is just wonderful.

Real missed opportunity not having him ask for a pair of pants after waking up.

ungulateman posted:

That cool final line "like my ancestors who threw themselves from the ships, i would rather die than be held in bondage" is insanely dumb if I don't consider it a purely metaphorical statement. Dude, your ancestors didn't do that, because the people who did that are all dead and didn't have kids.

I mean 'ancestors', unlike 'forefathers', doesn't have to mean direct lineage.

garycoleisgod
Sep 27, 2004
Boo

ungulateman posted:

Also, it could mean parents who did it but were survived by their children.

garycoleisgod fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Feb 17, 2018

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
I dunno, the rhino struck me as a really great and fitting scene. The animal that was used to represent traditional Wakandan lifestyles (in the scene on the farm at the beginning) refuses to take part in kinslaying and brings the fight to an end by not participating.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
someone ruin all 5 of the stupid stinger scenes for me, please

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Firstborn posted:

someone ruin all 5 of the stupid stinger scenes for me, please

There was only two, summarized as some white dude asking what Wakanda could possibly provide the world and oh, hey, Bucky is in Wakanda.

(I think, the theater turned down the audio and people leaving made it hard to hear audio)

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

MisterBibs posted:

There was only two, summarized as some white dude asking what Wakanda could possibly provide the world and oh, hey, Bucky is in Wakanda.

(I think, the theater turned down the audio and people leaving made it hard to hear audio)

We already knew he was there. But last we saw him he was going into cryosleep or something. This time he seems fully healed, just in time for Infinity War.

Z. Autobahn
Jul 20, 2004

colonel tigh more like colonel high

ungulateman posted:

You do understand it’s possible to first have a kid and THEN die, right?

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
I like how that how for a country with the most advanced medical technology in the world the process for rehabilitating a brainwashed super-assassin involves having him live in a remote hut with a bunch of kids around.

It was nice how much fun everyone appeared to be having doing whatever they were doing like how Klaw came out of the botched vibranium deal like he'd just got off a roller coaster, and the whole chase scene afterwards.

And the opening action scene basically being T'challa dropping in on his ex-girlfriend at work to see if she'll come to his coronation thing.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

ungulateman posted:

What a bizarre critique.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
I did think it would have been neat if the reveal with the mountain tribe was that they had a whole secret garden of the magic plant that they could have used at any point to overthrow the kings but had chosen not to as they weren't interested in ruling or forcing their lifestyle on the other tribes. I guess now there just won't be any more Black Panthers.

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum
Pretty much every character ruled.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

Atlas Hugged posted:

I did think it would have been neat if the reveal with the mountain tribe was that they had a whole secret garden of the magic plant that they could have used at any point to overthrow the kings but had chosen not to as they weren't interested in ruling or forcing their lifestyle on the other tribes. I guess now there just won't be any more Black Panthers.

I thought it would be revealed that Killmonger was aided by the heart-shaped herb when he challenged and defeated T'Challa for the throne. Nope he is just badass

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

gohmak posted:

I thought it would be revealed that Killmonger was aided by the heart-shaped herb when he challenged and defeated T'Challa for the throne. Nope he is just badass

Resulting in another awesome King Gorilla line.

EAB
Jan 18, 2011
So I saw this today and it was alright. 7/10

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

CelticPredator posted:

I truly disagree with the notion that a comedic scene undercuts a dramatic scene. For me, it's super palpable to have mad tension, and then laugh as a release. It's supposed to be a calming moment to let you know that the shift has happened. I don't think it ruins anything. It just shifts it.

You're right in that doing that doesn't inherently ruin the moment but some of the Marvel movies do it to the point where it becomes a very obvious trope and gets less interesting the more it is done.

Bill Dungsroman
Nov 24, 2006

Z. Autobahn posted:

I swear to god every time an MCU film comes out CD spirals further and further into abject lunacy. That you even had to post this is proof.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.
"I will feed you to our children......Just kidding. We are vegetarians."

M'Baku loving rules.

Adder Moray
Nov 18, 2010

MisterBibs posted:

More accurately: oh, hey, Bucky is in Wakanda and might end up becoming White Wolf if that wasn't just an Easter egg.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Z. Autobahn posted:

And isn't it possible to use "ancestors" to refer to your people in general, rather than just your exact specific ancestors?

DC Murderverse posted:

You're right in that doing that doesn't inherently ruin the moment but some of the Marvel movies do it to the point where it becomes a very obvious trope and gets less interesting the more it is done.

It's really not that comedic, though. Yall are acting like the dude slipped off his rhino and fell into some poopy. Most of that moment comes from "ohhhh right, they were an item, of course the rhino would like her".

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Pigbuster posted:

It's really not that comedic, though. Yall are acting like the dude slipped off his rhino and fell into some poopy. Most of that moment comes from "ohhhh right, they were an item, of course the rhino would like her".

oh i didn't mean it about that scene, i thought that was just fine. It's just a broader complaint about a lot of the Marvel films and some of them have it more than others. I don't remember any really egregious instances in BP

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

DC Murderverse posted:

oh i didn't mean it about that scene, i thought that was just fine. It's just a broader complaint about a lot of the Marvel films and some of them have it more than others. I don't remember any really egregious instances in BP

...whoops yeah sorry, I was using your post to respond to that overall subject. I feel the same way.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is

Bill Dungsroman posted:

I swear to god every time an MCU film comes out CD spirals further and further into abject lunacy. That you even had to post this is proof.

lmao I was just nitpicking a line I explicitly recognised as metaphorical you abject lunatic

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

"I will feed you to our children......Just kidding. We are vegetarians."

M'Baku loving rules.

Nobody that ripped is a goddamn vegetarian.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

poptart_fairy posted:

Nobody that ripped is a goddamn vegetarian.
I'm a hardcore meat-lover and this is one of the dumbest things I've ever read. Denis Leary and other shithead comedians have done irreparable harm to our culture on this topic since I was a literal child.

You have no idea what you're talking about, and have fallen victim to the real men eat meat meme.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Insincerity, on my Internet?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

DC Murderverse posted:

Guardians Vol 2 worked the best for me but apparently no one else here so I don’t now.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Atlas Hugged posted:

We already knew he was there. But last we saw him he was going into cryosleep or something. This time he seems fully healed, just in time for Infinity War.

This is actually a little confusing because in the post-credits for that he's shown going into a cryo-sleep, but then the events of BLACK PANTHER seem to come pretty soon after CIVIL WAR. Either stuff got cut, which is likely, or he's in cryo-sleep for about 2 days. I also feel a little like the actual ending to the movie and the first post-credit scene got switched. I thought it was a nice mirror to a similar scene in IRON MAN.

I do like that the only link to the larger MCU is the line "Great, you've given me another broken white boy to fix".

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Well we know it only takes a day to cure poo poo in Wakanda so...

Fat_Cow
Dec 12, 2009

Every time I yank a jawbone from a skull and ram it into an eyesocket, I know I'm building a better future.

Anyone know the title of the song off the OST that played during during T'chanka being crowned king and during the credits at some point?

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

Fat_Cow posted:

Anyone know the title of the song off the OST that played during during T'chanka being crowned king and during the credits at some point?

If you mean the one with chanting that sounds like it includes t'challa's name it is 'Warrior Falls'. The soundtrack to this was way better than I expect from marvel. They did a great job layering western style orchestral stuff with african musical influences, and it adds a lot of energy to the action sequences.
My favourite is the one that plays during the Korean club fight sequence with that fast paced female vocal bark (I'm not sure what the proper term for that noise is).

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Man loses kingdom through legitimate channels, usurps throne through sordid, drug related means.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Moon Atari posted:

If you mean the one with chanting that sounds like it includes t'challa's name it is 'Warrior Falls'. The soundtrack to this was way better than I expect from marvel. They did a great job layering western style orchestral stuff with african musical influences, and it adds a lot of energy to the action sequences.
My favourite is the one that plays during the Korean club fight sequence with that fast paced female vocal bark (I'm not sure what the proper term for that noise is).

I’ve been listening to the soundtrack on Apple Music and it’s great. It might be on Spotify too but I’m not sure.

This doesn’t really have anything to do with you but I just wanted to point out you can stream some of the music.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

DC Murderverse posted:

Only really big instance here was the rousing "let's go attack the bad guy" moment is immediately undercut by Gorilla Guy instead of embracing it.

Adder Moray
Nov 18, 2010

poptart_fairy posted:

Man loses kingdom through legitimate channels, usurps throne through sordid, drug related means.

The rules are clear. The fight isn't over until one of them yields or dies. Not T'Challa's fault Erik went and assumed he was dead, then cheated before the fight was over by using the Heart-Shaped Herb to heal his wounds and gain the powers of the Black Panther while T'Challa was still in the river. Should have made sure.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Erik didn't have anyone interfere on his behalf. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ghostinmyshell
Sep 17, 2004

I am very particular about biscuits, I'll have you know.

Boris Galerkin posted:

I’ve been listening to the soundtrack on Apple Music and it’s great. It might be on Spotify too but I’m not sure.

This doesn’t really have anything to do with you but I just wanted to point out you can stream some of the music.

I might pick this up too, I haven't heard really good bad rear end walking into the room tracks by a villain in a long time.

• Locked thread