Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Veni Vidi Ameche! posted:

I don’t even have to click that to know that it’s Will’s father abandoning him, again. That’s a rough scene.

I don’t think Will Smith is an amazing actor (his wife is, though), but he is very good, and his career arc has been pretty phenomenal.

He was really good in Enemy of the State.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Mind
Mar 20, 2009

I'm not a real doctor,
But I am a real worm;
I am an actual worm

BiggerBoat posted:

I think they've left a lot of fruit on the vine with the Halloween episodes.

JAWS: Wiggum, Sea Captain and Professor Frink on the Orca hunting the shark. Mrs. Crabapple gets eaten in the opening scene. Ralph is the kid on the raft. Quimby wants the beaches open, etc.

EXORCIST: Lisa is possessed. Rev. Lovejoy and Ned come in to perform the exorcism. Bart thinks the whole thing is hilarious.

HALLOWEEN: Springfield IS Haddonfield. Maybe make make Bart a young Michael Myers

PSYCHO: Skinner and his Mom. Practically writes itself.

BLAIR WITCH PROJECT: Lisa, Bart and Nelson (or Milhouse) lost in the woods. Writes itself again. Crazy Cat Lady can be the witch if you need one.

SEVEN: Wiggum and Lou hunt down the killer. Comic Book Guy is gluttony, Homer is sloth, Burns is greed, Crabapple is lust, etc.

TEXAS CHAINSAW: Cast the Simpsons as the crazy family. Homer is Leatherface. Grandpa is grandpa and so forth. Insert other characters as victims.

You're about as likely to get an Edna appearance these days as you are Troy McClure.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Between the ads/filler/ten minute long couch gag how long does a segment on treehouse of horror even get these days?

Haschel Cedricson
Jan 4, 2006

Brinkmanship

They already did the dolphin one, I don't see Jaws getting a separate segment.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Inescapable Duck posted:

I wonder what a Simpsons take on Get Out would be.

Terrible?

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Law and Order SVU aged so bad. Why can’t original l and o, or CI be streaming anywhere? Those were fantastic.

I'm pretty sure there's a broadcast/antenna channel that does a huge block of Vanilla Law and Order (and maybe CI, occasionally) episodes once a week. I think "Ion" is the channel. But I seem to think everytime I've turned it on and seen a random episode they've been post-Briscoe/Logan ones.

Just eyeballing their schedule for this week: It looks like 16 Hours of Vanilla in a single day, but they all seem to be season 15/16 episodes.

Technocrat
Jan 30, 2011

I always finish what I sta

BiggerBoat posted:

EXORCIST: Lisa is possessed. Rev. Lovejoy and Ned come in to perform the exorcism. Bart thinks the whole thing is hilarious.

The Simpson comic did this one, she was possessed by Madonna instead of Satan though

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
Not so much an episode, but a small pop culture segment from SNL's Weekend Update. I think it's a Tina Fey/Jimmy Fallon episode, but the exchange goes something like:

Fallon: *something about the Lord of the Rings movies, gets characters names wrong.*
Fey: *Corrects the characters' names*
Fallon: *coughing* "Nerd" *coughing*

Given how hugely important and popular the nerd/geek stuff has gotten in the last few years, the joke in 2014-onward would be the person NOT knowing the names of all these character being called stupid for their mistake.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

JediTalentAgent posted:

I'm pretty sure there's a broadcast/antenna channel that does a huge block of Vanilla Law and Order (and maybe CI, occasionally) episodes once a week. I think "Ion" is the channel. But I seem to think everytime I've turned it on and seen a random episode they've been post-Briscoe/Logan ones.

Just eyeballing their schedule for this week: It looks like 16 Hours of Vanilla in a single day, but they all seem to be season 15/16 episodes.

When I think Law and Order: Vanilla I imagine a show about investigating food crimes, like Ramsey's Kitchen Nightmares

Obsoletely Fabulous
May 6, 2008

Who are you, and why should I care?

JediTalentAgent posted:

It is Ion. My wife leaves it on all the time. I think they show Law and Order, Blue Bloods, Criminal Minds, and Psych. I’m sure there are other shows but they seem to show those ones in like 8-16 hour blocks constantly. I don’t even like the shows (except Psych), but I’m pretty sure I think I’ve seen or heard at least half of the episodes for each one.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

JediTalentAgent posted:

Not so much an episode, but a small pop culture segment from SNL's Weekend Update. I think it's a Tina Fey/Jimmy Fallon episode, but the exchange goes something like:

Fallon: *something about the Lord of the Rings movies, gets characters names wrong.*

Given how hugely important and popular the nerd/geek stuff has gotten in the last few years, the joke in 2014-onward would be the person NOT knowing the names of all these character being called stupid for their mistake.

People I know IRL regularly call Gandalf "that Merlin guy" so who knows.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

BiggerBoat posted:

There was actually a Treehouse of Horror comic where this happened; Lisa was listening to too much Madonna, became possessed and started dressing up like Madonna and then Lovejoy had to exorcise her.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Veni Vidi Ameche! posted:

I don’t even have to click that to know that it’s Will’s father abandoning him, again. That’s a rough scene.

I don’t think Will Smith is an amazing actor (his wife is, though), but he is very good, and his career arc has been pretty phenomenal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lFuKgleL63M

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

JediTalentAgent posted:

Many, many people think Emilia Clarke's character on Game of Thrones is named Kelly C

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
A while back, my media player clocked a few episodes of the Big Bang Theory in at 19:20 with theme song, characters standing around while the audience laughs, commercial stingers and credits to the Chuck Lorre text at the end.

It's a lovely show, and the episodes are too short.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

evobatman posted:

A while back, my media player clocked a few episodes of the Big Bang Theory in at 19:20 with theme song, characters standing around while the audience laughs, commercial stingers and credits to the Chuck Lorre text at the end.

Gotta jam as much advertising space in there as possible since it is the most watched show in the US.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

BioEnchanted posted:

When I think Law and Order: Vanilla I imagine a show about investigating food crimes, like Ramsey's Kitchen Nightmares

I would give this pilot a shot.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I would give this pilot a shot.

The scollops were in no state to defend themselves... I guess they were too... fried YEEEEEEAAAHHHHHH

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Technocrat posted:

The Simpson comic did this one, she was possessed by Madonna instead of Satan though

I once checked out a Treehouse of Terror collection comic from my local library. They went in...weird ways. I definitely did not expect a parody of the 80s Cat People to crop up.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

JediTalentAgent posted:

Ion only shows like seasons 12 or 13 and everything after that. WE TV, however, also does large blocks of the original series a few times a week and they show everything prior to that, maybe with one season of overlap, but not past season 13 or so.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
Speaking of old Law & Order, am I the only one who liked Stone way more than McCoy?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

JediTalentAgent posted:

It's 2018 and I still take joy in telling my co-workers their nerds when they start talking about GoT. It's just a fun low hanging fruit joke.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
When it's on, GoT is basically the only "water cooler" show that just about everyone discusses in my workplace. The only one that comes close is Derry Girls and I'm pretty sure that's just because it's a local show.

Other than that, I can't think of any other programme that has people asking, "Did you see X last night?" when they get in.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Wheat Loaf posted:

When it's on, GoT is basically the only "water cooler" show that just about everyone discusses in my workplace. The only one that comes close is Derry Girls and I'm pretty sure that's just because it's a local show.

Other than that, I can't think of any other programme that has people asking, "Did you see X last night?" when they get in.

It’s pretty much the only water cooler show in general in the age of steaming and too many options.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Wheat Loaf posted:

It's pretty much GoT and Walking Dead

ryonguy
Jun 27, 2013

JediTalentAgent posted:

When RU-486 went over the counter, Fallon was doing weekend update with Fey. Went something like this (as verbatim as I can remember):

Fey: And in other news, RU-486 is now available over the counter.
Fallon: Price check on whore pills! Hey can I get a price check on whore pills? I got a teenage girl in prom dress here, people.
Fey: :stonklol:

Probably not the original script if Tina's reaction was anything to go by.

duck trucker
Oct 14, 2017

YOSPOS

SomeJazzyRat posted:

Why make jokes about cruddy old scary movies when you can do the most biting satire audiences have ever seen!

Like Avatar! (circa 2011)

Or Paranormal Activity! (circa 2012)

And Hunger Games! (in 2016)

I don't get this complaint. Those movies were all a big part of pop culture (maybe paranormal activity less so) and Simpsons have always had references to current pop culture events.

gently caress I think the idea of them just redoing Avatar but changing all the cat people to Kang and kodos aliens pretty clever.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

duck trucker posted:

I don't get this complaint. Those movies were all a big part of pop culture (maybe paranormal activity less so) and Simpsons have always had references to current pop culture events.

gently caress I think the idea of them just redoing Avatar but changing all the cat people to Kang and kodos aliens pretty clever.

The complaint is that they’re behind the times (though there were still sequels being made to PA and the Hunger Games at those times)

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

fartknocker posted:

Ion only shows like seasons 12 or 13 and everything after that. WE TV, however, also does large blocks of the original series a few times a week and they show everything prior to that, maybe with one season of overlap, but not past season 13 or so.

Law & Order: The only show large enough to syndicate in two separate blocks.

tactlessbastard posted:

Speaking of old Law & Order, am I the only one who liked Stone way more than McCoy?

Nah, they're very different EADAs. McCoy and Cutter's antics are entertaining but Stone's strong, unshakable beliefs really help get the show going. "American Dream" is a top 10 episode for sure, and that's all Stone.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Avatar can't be behind the times because they've still got like 2 sequels planned.

By the time James Cameron gets all his sequels done, the Simpsons will be celebrating their 45th anniversary.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

WampaLord posted:

Many, many people think Emilia Clarke's character on Game of Thrones is named Kelly C

I mean, you can't fault them, she really likes her people and also has some dragons

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Krispy Wafer posted:

Avatar can't be behind the times because they've still got like 2 sequels planned.

By the time James Cameron gets all his sequels done, the Simpsons will be celebrating their 45th anniversary.

Four.

Though they are being filmed two at a time and Cameron has said if the first one bombs he won't make the last two. Disney is going to promote the poo poo it off them, though, so they'll probably do fine.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

BioEnchanted posted:

The scollops were in no state to defend themselves... I guess they were too... fried YEEEEEEAAAHHHHHH

"The pancake batter agreed to turn State's evidence against the bacon."
"So you got him ... to flip?"
YEEEEEEAAAHHHH

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

The Bloop posted:

Four.

Though they are being filmed two at a time and Cameron has said if the first one bombs he won't make the last two. Disney is going to promote the poo poo it off them, though, so they'll probably do fine.

I almost said 4, but figured I had remembered it wrong and Cameron couldn't possibly be making 5 Avatar movies.

Kind of like when people mention Afghanistan as our longest war and we couldn't possibly have been at war for 17 yea...oh poo poo we have.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

CannonFodder posted:

YEEEEEEAAAHHHH

That's not Law and Order: Anything. It's CSI: KFC

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Solice Kirsk posted:

Gotta jam as much advertising space in there as possible since it is the most watched show in the US.

I remeber watching Justified on DVD, and one ep ran for 38 minutes.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

evobatman posted:

The Chuck Lorre text at the end is the only redeeming part of any of his shows. They aren't even that great in reality but just the idea that his stinger is a page-long manifesto detailing his thoughts life, love, economics, the nature of reality that's been going on for 20+ years is loving hilarious to me.

kupachek
Aug 5, 2015

This man’s brain is trembling in the balance between reason and insanity, and as he stalks on with clenched fist and sword in hand, as though he still saw those murderous Russians gunners.

Solice Kirsk posted:

It's like the Super Bowl. People watch it for the commercials.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Haschel Cedricson posted:

They already did the dolphin one, I don't see Jaws getting a separate segment.

And it loving sucked. I remember seeing the open and getting psyched that they were finally gonna do JAWS and then...I...uh...don't really know what that dolphin episode became. A Krusty the Clown send up of IT seems like a no brainer this year. You've already got the clown and the kids right there. Hire me, FOX.

To stay on topic: man, the Treehouse of Horror episodes used to be a real high water mark for the show. I think you can gauge the quality of the seasons based on the THOH episodes alone and the last 10 or 15 of them have aged terribly and most weren't any good to begin with. They were great when they were riffing on classics and standards of the genre (The Raven, The Shining, King Kong, Omega Man, Nightmare on Elm Street, Dracula, Twilight Zone, Monkey's Paw, Night of the Living Dead) and seem to have gotten worse as the've tried to be more contemporary.

Several of them aren't even horror movies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

BiggerBoat posted:

And it loving sucked. I remember seeing the open and getting psyched that they were finally gonna do JAWS and then...I...uh...don't really know what that dolphin episode became. A Krusty the Clown send up of IT seems like a no brainer this year. You've already got the clown and the kids right there. Hire me, FOX.

To stay on topic: man, the Treehouse of Horror episodes used to be a real high water mark for the show. I think you can gauge the quality of the seasons based on the THOH episodes alone and the last 10 or 15 of them have aged terribly and most weren't any good to begin with. They were great when they were riffing on classics and standards of the genre (The Raven, The Shining, King Kong, Omega Man, Nightmare on Elm Street, Dracula, Twilight Zone, Monkey's Paw, Night of the Living Dead) and seem to have gotten worse as the've tried to be more contemporary.

Several of them aren't even horror movies.

I liked the superhero one with Lucy Lawless, but that's because she owns.