Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

La morte non ha sesso

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Nah, Brave New World never got much traction due to its relatively limited character generation compared to its contemporaries (i.e. Champions and its descendants).
Yeah, having an actual setting where there's a limited number of superpowers and limitations on how they work makes for a good superhero setting. But I find superhero RPG finds also tend to be "kitchen sink you-can-create-literally-anything-in-this-universal-system fans by default.

8one6 posted:

Eclipse Phase is my favorite game I'll never get to play because none of my friends have any interest in running it and their only interest in playing it is just the surface level "action movie but with robots and talking apes" parts.
Run Fragged Empire for them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Nah, Brave New World never got much traction due to its relatively limited character generation compared to its contemporaries (i.e. Champions and its descendants). There's a reason the game line never finished; it's basically the forgotten game as far as Pinnacle games go. It has fans, but far as I've seen when most people talk about liking it, it feels like they enjoyed the narrative or setting more than the actual game itself.

The fact that there isn't a Savage Worlds version speaks volumes about its legacy as a game.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
It doesn't help that Brave New World felt that "Immune to damage" and "Really good at hacking, no like, really good" to be roughly equal and balanced powersets, oh, and then there was a dude who made a deal with the devil and could do both.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
Well, also superhero RPGs have rarely been sold on original setting material anyway, despite the constant attempts to do so. Most of the notable "superhero settings" that I feel like actually have some reverence (like Godlike) are more superhuman-based sci-fi than traditional superheroes. Which, admittedly, Brave New World verges on, but not quite. It's mostly intensely 90s in both the comic and RPG sense.

Hunt11 posted:

I guess that is a good way to check if somebody is actually reading your 20 pages of backstory. Throw in some really creepy poo poo and see if they comment on it. Seriously though, 5000 words is insane, especially if you are in a group. As in I doubt there are many gms who want to read about 40 pages about the characters in the campaign before the first session.

I used to do application vetting for a online freeform superhero game or two, and there are absolute horrors that reside in the corners of this hobby. Ignorance may be a blessing.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
I remember one of those freeform supers games that didn't care about what you wrote or how well it was phrased, it only measured whether an app was complete based on how large your text file attachment containing the app was. They'd auto-reject anyone under 10KB.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

unseenlibrarian posted:

It doesn't help that Brave New World felt that "Immune to damage" and "Really good at hacking, no like, really good" to be roughly equal and balanced powersets, oh, and then there was a dude who made a deal with the devil and could do both.

Except the devil guy was basically not good at either one, IIRC.

Hostile V
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Yeah the Covenant were way better than Bargainers at everything. Hell, even that one Bargainer who made pacts with an angel instead of a demon was better than your average Bargainer because the angel would give him power in return for good deeds instead of the Bargainer trade of magic/totems for petty cruelty/heinous acts.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Alien Rope Burn posted:

It's mostly intensely 90s in both the comic and RPG sense.
Yeah, it's pretty much all of the pathologies of 1990s RPGs turned up to 11. Giant rigid metaplot with iconic characters doing all the important things, slowly doled out across the supplement treadmill, complete with multiple "everything you know is wrong" revelations. Books were padded with lots of in-character fiction and big margins and fonts and whitespace. Stupid dice system. No balance. Just a complete shitshow.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I'm now required to leave this for Jef, just in case:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UO_KZdyWkoA

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 22 hours!
The loud music drowns out the dialogue but it can't do the same for the awful production value.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Did Burcato pitch Powerchords as being system agnostic? Because lol at spending 7 years writing an RPG when you don't even include a rule set with it.

The Chad Jihad posted:

Idle thought, is Federation and Empire a candidate for this thread or would that strictly be Prime Directive

Go for it, I'm dying to hear more about the Star Fleet universe after Jef & Jon tore into it.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

unseenlibrarian posted:

I remember one of those freeform supers games that didn't care about what you wrote or how well it was phrased, it only measured whether an app was complete based on how large your text file attachment containing the app was. They'd auto-reject anyone under 10KB.

OH christ, I remember that site.

I have a friend who occasionally staffs at sites like that, and she's shared some fun stories. Mostly pretty tame, but there's still something amusing about the guy who threw a poo poo fit because they wouldn't let him paste a katana to Doctor Strange, then apped a non-communicative, animal-intellect velociraptor shortly afterward still has me scratching my head.

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

When they passed out body parts in the comics today, I got Cathy's nose and Dick Tracy's private parts.

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Waiting for the narrator to offer me a pizza roll.

Simian_Prime fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Feb 15, 2018

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Alien Rope Burn posted:

I love this so much. I've been trying to find a copy of the full-length one for the Great War of Magellan pilot but have had no luck.

Also hell yeah do Prime Directive. It was a really really early one for us and we're still all grumpy and serious in that episode. That book sucked though.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

The Chad Jihad posted:

Idle thought, is Federation and Empire a candidate for this thread or would that strictly be Prime Directive

Whether you like it or hate it, we are dumb for consumption in this thread. Post away.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Funnily enough, Brave New World was relatively popular at my gaming club back in the day (a few years before my time), enough that my friend who's got a dozen homebrew systems made his own version of the game (heavily modified through years of playing) that we're still playing to this day. Among other mechanical changes, there's a poo poo-ton more power packages, actual rules for Alphas (now called Asura,s with Delta being Devas, due to wanting to make the game his own thing), keeping two dices instead of one thus making difficult rolls actually possible, etc.

Instead of evil fascist Kennedy, the gameplay is centered around various spy agencies (usually MI6) fighting against a new wave of supercriminals.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Bieeanshee posted:

OH christ, I remember that site.

I have a friend who occasionally staffs at sites like that, and she's shared some fun stories. Mostly pretty tame, but there's still something amusing about the guy who threw a poo poo fit because they wouldn't let him paste a katana to Doctor Strange, then apped a non-communicative, animal-intellect velociraptor shortly afterward still has me scratching my head.
When you say Dr. Strange here, are you saying the dude wanted to be a Dr. Strange-style original character (with a katana) or that he wanted to give Stephen Strange the blessing of Hanzo steel?

(Dr. Strange can't handle sharp objects reliably anyway, it's why he became a wizard!)

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
It was a Marvel based game, and he wanted to give Doctor Strange, the Sorcerer Supreme... a katana. And the training to use it. I'm not even sure he offered a rationale.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Every gamer has, at some point, wished to play a katana wizard.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Obviously the dude was a big fan of What If #83, where Dr Strange is in fact a ninja with a katana who trained Daredevil instead of Stick.

Mr. Maltose fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Feb 15, 2018

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

MonsieurChoc posted:

Funnily enough, Brave New World was relatively popular at my gaming club back in the day (a few years before my time), enough that my friend who's got a dozen homebrew systems made his own version of the game (heavily modified through years of playing) that we're still playing to this day. Among other mechanical changes, there's a poo poo-ton more power packages, actual rules for Alphas (now called Asura,s with Delta being Devas, due to wanting to make the game his own thing), keeping two dices instead of one thus making difficult rolls actually possible, etc.

Instead of evil fascist Kennedy, the gameplay is centered around various spy agencies (usually MI6) fighting against a new wave of supercriminals.

And there it is. The thing that would actually get me to play BNW, because don't think playing SHIELD doesn't sound exciting more than whatever BNW is supposed to be.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I remember when somebody applied for the sentient embodiment of the force of gravity in a game I staffed at.

It was, of course, a guy with a trenchcoat and a katana.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
I want to play a sentient katana/trenchcoat partnership that possess losers and drives them around like the title characters in Bad Boys 2 drive cars.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

JackMann posted:

Welp, I know what my next Sgt Nerd column's going to be about.
My pithy way of putting this is that "it should not be easier to permakill a character than it is to make a new one". But yes, I love that blog and by all means keep putting out columns. (If only so I have some backing material to work with whenever a gaming buddy decides to play Amateur Game Designer.)

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.

Alien Rope Burn posted:

I used to do application vetting for a online freeform superhero game or two, and there are absolute horrors that reside in the corners of this hobby. Ignorance may be a blessing.

That sounds like storytime.

Foglet
Jun 17, 2014

Reality is an illusion.
The universe is a hologram.
Buy gold.

Nessus posted:

(Dr. Strange can't handle sharp objects reliably anyway, it's why he became a wizard!)

I dunno, he's been quite handy with a battleaxe more than once in the current run.

edit: No, really, that's a big part of how his iconic appearance is depicted these days.

Foglet fucked around with this message at 13:04 on Feb 16, 2018

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
He should be using Swords, Staves, Cups and Coins.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Pfft. Like he'd stoop to the minor arcana.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

La morte non ha sesso
He already had too many coins and cups; that's why he crashed his car.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Halloween Jack posted:

He already had too many coins and cups; that's why he crashed his car.

:golfclap:

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Hostile V posted:

Found a video about your character.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bGcsH5miL44

I mostly posted that to counteract the great evil of Goatman typing one-handed and editing by banging his head against the antique artisanal all-natural home-grown vintage keyboard that he assumes resembles Edgar Rice Burroughs' typewriter.

Yes, Edgar Rice Burroughs, I assume Goatman would accidentally mistake the author of Tarzan for the author of Naked Lunch, trying to write the latter when the Great White Savior and Noble Savage themes of the former are way more up Goatman's alley.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Cyberpunk/comments/272n0d/the_jungle_rot_kid_on_the_nod_by_philip_jose/

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I'm a digital savage of the cyberjungle.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Inescapable Duck posted:

I'm a digital savage of the cyberjungle.

My section of the Information Superhighway has been adopted by the University City Kiwanis Club #91.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Leraika posted:

That sounds like storytime.

Not really? There isn't a lot more to say to than that. He wanted to play the concept of gravity with a katana, I told him no, and it's been too long to remember much more accurately. I could go on about bad characters I had to deny, I suppose. But it's been many, many years since I was foolish enough to wallow around in the dumpster of fandom those games tend towards, and it's probably more suited to something like the catpiss thread, should I ever catch up with that.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
But really, I mixed all these ideas up and want to play cyberpunk Tarzan.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Not really? There isn't a lot more to say to than that. He wanted to play the concept of gravity with a katana, I told him no, and it's been too long to remember much more accurately. I could go on about bad characters I had to deny, I suppose. But it's been many, many years since I was foolish enough to wallow around in the dumpster of fandom those games tend towards, and it's probably more suited to something like the catpiss thread, should I ever catch up with that.

It is a shame modding PC applications is not as story rich as one thinks it might be. Like, 90% of the bad ones are just that, bad. I did it for a WW site for a good while and most of them were things like either super ancient and powerful or wanting to play a member of the clan who is hideously ugly but they of course are beautiful for reasons.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Dawgstar posted:

It is a shame modding PC applications is not as story rich as one thinks it might be. Like, 90% of the bad ones are just that, bad. I did it for a WW site for a good while and most of them were things like either super ancient and powerful or wanting to play a member of the clan who is hideously ugly but they of course are beautiful for reasons.

I mean, I have a lot of bad stories to tell, that's just not one of them. Also I have mixed feelings about beating this sort of dead horse, knowing how self-indulgent I can be with my characters. Everybody wants to play the cool rad thing they had in mind. The real issue comes to a head when they don't know how to read the proverbial room.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Dawgstar posted:

I have to concur, and most of the time - the rejections isn't due to hilaribad apps, but more often due to players either making characters that do not fit the game, or because they had gained a reputation for being creepy or a pain in the rear end to deal with.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Years and years ago, I hung out on a forum dedicated to savaging bad character descriptions and arguing over the validity of roleplay and garbage like that, until I realized that... y'know? gently caress it. Sure, the Baphomet-thing with beachballs tits and three cocks long enough to bruise its lips was gross, and the disease-ridden supervillain with lovingly detailed symptoms was fishing for admiration for not being pretty and perfect, but who the gently caress cares? They didn't. They were just looking for excuses to shout at each other.

Like the time someone asked if it was really, honestly valid for someone to roll maxed Manipulation+Seduction to force another player to have TinySex with them on a non-consent WoD game. At random. That really should have been a no-brainer, but no. God, no.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Dare I ask what TinySex is?