Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who should get the final Elimination Chamber Spot?
This poll is closed.
Finn Balor 5 6.58%
Seth Rollins 0 0%
Squeeze them both into one pod 35 46.05%
Give THE BIG DOG! two pods to himself 36 47.37%
Total: 76 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

It did lead to the creation of the Austin 3:16 shirt which was a gigantic money-maker, which did make WWE aware that the guy was more than just a good hand and a next-best option for when they were pissed off at Hunter Hearst Helmsley.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

VJeff posted:

This brings up a question I wonder about. WWE naturally treats the Austin 3:16 promo at King of the Ring as a watershed moment, but did it particularly resonate with anyone at the time or indicate that like, wow, this guy is goin' places.

Yes and no? It did remind the brass that Austin was a gifted talker with star potential (remember that he was just starting to recover from the Ringmaster gimmick at this time), but he stayed a firm midcard heel for several months after that. Even winning KOTR wasn't really seen as a huge deal, given that he beat a washed-up Jake Roberts in the final.

It wasn't until the Bret feud in late 96 that Austin really started gaining momentum as a top guy.

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

went to the house show in portland tonight and was sitting pretty close to the ring.
house shows are fun!

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Yeah KOTR bumped Austin up to the status of "protected midcarder," at best. At SummerSlam he wrestled on the pre-show! Then he really caught fire with the Bret feud.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Basically the Austin timeline goes like this

KOTR: Opens up peoples' eyes, but not a game-changer at the moment
Bret feud: Elevated by working with Bret, gets over as a cool heel
Double turn and Hart Foundation feud: Established as a main event player
Mike Tyson/DX feud: Cemented as The Guy

Austin/Vince had some teases and seeds planted here and there, but it didn't really kick in until he won the belt at WM14

Benne fucked around with this message at 09:32 on Feb 17, 2018

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

the escape goat posted:

house shows are fun!

Hell yeah they are, everybody is just having fun or trying out new stuff and these isn't mad pressure to hit time cues for commercial breaks and the like. House Shows rule.

Web Jew.0
May 13, 2009
1. Braun Strowman
2. Samoa Joe
3. Big E
4. Rusev
5. Akam
6. Kassius Ohno
7. Killian Dane
8. Lars Sullivan
9. Rezar
10. Ronda Rousey

Web Jew.0 fucked around with this message at 09:59 on Feb 17, 2018

WrasslorMonkey
Mar 5, 2012

Web Jew.0 posted:

1. Braun Strowman
2. Samoa Joe
3. Big E
4. Rusev
5. Akam
6. Kassius Ohno
7. Killian Dane
8. Lars Sullivan
9. Rezar
10. Ronda Rousey

*opens envelope and reads*

The cast of The Marine 7

RacistGuidingLight
Apr 5, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

WrasslorMonkey posted:

*opens envelope and reads*

The cast of The Marine 7

Is Kassius still really loving fat? If so, he should be The Marine. Otherwise, Big E.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Dammit I forgot Dream and Gargano :negative:

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

NowonSA posted:

Hmm, my 10 right now would be:

Rusev, Rollins, Zayn, Miz, Gargano, Lesnar, Asuka, Sasha, Charlotte and Ronda Rousey, or if we don't consider Rousey a worker yet then Andrade Almas. I'm just looking at it from a business PoV where salary hasn't been raised as a concern, so I want people who will put butts in seats and eyeballs on the screen, Miz to help the new talent I bring in be better talkers and people like Rollins and Zayn to help them get better in the ring.

There's something to be said for having good young talent and loads of people from NXT or just out of it, but if I'm a McMahon then I don't want to take too many risks and I want to succeed at all costs, dammit!

drat how did I forget to put Braun in there. Sorry Gargano, I'm really looking forward to your future but I need to make the most of my big talent raid and make uncle Vince proud so you're out and Braun's in.

Blaise330
Aug 13, 2007

GOD'S FAVORITE CHAMPION

Mons Hubris posted:

I saw WWE Superstar Seth Rollins at baggage claim at the Portland airport this morning. He seemed to be signing stuff for people. That’s my Seth Rollins story

The Seth curse makes me picture some kind of Final Destination-esque scenario that begins with Seth's pen breaking and ends with 4 people somehow maimed by the baggage conveyor belt.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
Cesaro, 10 times. They just have uppercut contests every day.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Johnny Gargano, Velveteen Dream, Aleister Black, Tyler Bate, Pete Dunne, Noam Dar, Kairi Sane, Candice LeRae, Becky Lynch, and Sarah Logan

Reasonable spread of people who can form a backbone I can build off of. Few easy things to build off of, and once I get off the ground I can do the important stuff.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

VJeff posted:

This brings up a question I wonder about. WWE naturally treats the Austin 3:16 promo at King of the Ring as a watershed moment, but did it particularly resonate with anyone at the time or indicate that like, wow, this guy is goin' places.

Austin really started catching fire a few months later. It was a notable promo and you'd see Austin 3:16 signs, but he didn't turn into a sensation that summer.

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST
It's official, all PPVs going forward will be dual branded.

http://www.wwe.com/article/wwe-2018-pay-per-view-schedule

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
Only 9 PPVs too which is nice

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

achillesforever6 posted:

I would rather have 16 PPVs that are 2 to 2 1/2 hours long, than 9 PPVs that are 4+ hours long.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

achillesforever6 posted:

They've been doing monthly PPVs since Summerslam.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

If you're keeping track, so far the only difference between this brand split failure and last brand split failure is this one is going to have a period where every PPV is minimum 4 hours

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money
Why even have a loving brand split then

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

How many times have they done brand specific ppvs and then gone back on them?

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

Low Desert Punk posted:

Maybe the matches will just have Smackdown competitors facing each other instead of having matches where performers from each brand face each other.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Brand split would work great if they actually let their writing team actually write.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

TV Zombie posted:

Maybe the matches will just have Smackdown competitors facing each other instead of having matches where performers from each brand face each other.

I can't wait for the Survivor Series tagline to get even more ridiculously specific and also incorrect as Vince screams about getting it exactly right

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

oldpainless posted:

How many times have they done brand specific ppvs and then gone back on them?

Twice including this one. Also this sucks and is bad.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

TV Zombie posted:

They have said this is what will happen. Still awful though.

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames

Low Desert Punk posted:

I'VE BEEN SAYING THIS SINCE 2002!

SamuraiFoochs posted:

Twice including this one. Also this sucks and is bad.

This is the second time. Back in 2004, the brand-specific PPVs were doing really low buyrates so they merged them all again.

Then they started having talent cross-over.

Then it was quietly killed.

Then it was brought back.

We're going through that. Again.

Because the brand split is poorly executed and bad. :colbert:

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

That reminds me...isn't a Superstar shakeup supposed to be scheduled sooner or later? Isn't that a yearly thing?

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

TV Zombie posted:

That reminds me...isn't a Superstar shakeup supposed to be scheduled sooner or later? Isn't that a yearly thing?

They usually do that after Mania don’t they?

Blaise330
Aug 13, 2007

GOD'S FAVORITE CHAMPION
This still isn't a good excuse for losing Great Balls of Fire. Coulda did a logo with 2 different color balls.

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage
Watch me try to laugh this title off like the dickbag I am.

I also hang out with racists.
My idiot fantasy-booking 10 is just one of those 80s jobbers who has had ten different names over the years.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Yeah, this is...a bad choice. The brand split is already suffering horribly under the total misuse of breathing room, this is only going to leave us in a helldimension where one on one feuds don't exist anymore. And the inevitable death of the split entirely.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

By WM35 the brand split will be dead

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
No sir, I don't like it.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
There won't be any house shows on the night of PPVs so a bunch of talent will have an unpaid night on the road in a hotel they are paying for.

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
The PWInsider story is a hell of a read. The usual stuff from WWE not telling talent yet/first etc

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Seriously RIP any meaningful matches for Ambrose, Nakamura, Balor, any NXT call-ups, Miz, Elias, Corbin, any tag team, Bray... Christ this is awful.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

DLC Inc posted:

Something a few people and I have asked ourselves today: Imagine you have the opportunity to start creating a new company, and due to being Vince McMahon's lost nephew or some poo poo, you are allowed to pick any 10 workers from WWE's main roster/NXT/205/UK to help start your new fed (with the exception of Cena/Big Dog/Orton). Which 10 do you choose?

Mine:

Andrade Almas, Akira Tozawa, Cedric Alexander, Mustafa Ali, Pete Dunne, Aleister Black, Rusev, Kairi Sane, Becky Lynch, Ruby Riott

Stuff like this is fun

The Miz (#1 heel, big time name recognition, excellent talker, capable of having good matches with certain opponents)
Adam Cole (Young and crazy talented)
Kevin Owens (One of my favorites of all time, capable of doing almost anything you need from him)
Cesaro (One of the best athletes I've ever seen in wrestling, an absolute freak)
Andrade Almas (charisma for days, terrific worker, gives you some diversity to appeal to different markets)
Big E (my #1 babyface)
Braun Strowman (Andre the Giant role)
Tomasso Ciampa (Cole's rival)
Luke Harper/Brodie Lee (#2 heel)
Finn Balor (#2 face)

I'd also make offers to Rey Mysterio, RVD, 2 Cold Scorpio, Chuck Taylor, Tim Thatcher, John Morrison (who has really stepped up his game imo), Masato Tanaka, Tim Donst, David Starr, Zack Sabre, John Skyler, Arik Royal, AR Fox, Maxwell Jacob Friedman, and WALTER to shore up my singles divisions. Tremendous Investigations, The Gymnasties, The Ugly Ducklings, The Lucha Bros., and Scarlet and Graves are my tag teams. I'm also offering a deal to Stokely Hathaway to form another version of Dream Team or Black Friday, or whichever name he sees fit.

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Feb 17, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

SamuraiFoochs posted:

Seriously RIP any meaningful matches for Ambrose, Nakamura, Balor, any NXT call-ups, Miz, Elias, Corbin, any tag team, Bray... Christ this is awful.

Nakamura's probably gonna be WWE champion, so...

...you're still probably right. :(

• Locked thread