Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Buccaneer
Jun 24, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
Metal Gear Survive (aka MGS) is the new entry in the legendary Metal Gear series and the first one made without the series creator Hideo Kojima. It has gotten backlash from some fans of the series for changing the focus, from story driven single player stealth gameplay to online cooperative base defense against a horde of enemies. Sneaking in this game takes a back seat to using crafted melee weapons, guns, and traps and there are skill trees you can use to customize your playing style. There is a single player story mode in the game but not much is known about it besides that it is about soldiers trying to survive in a harsh alternate dimension and it was supposedly influenced by the "Divine Comedy".
There was a beta test for it already and it seems like it should be pretty good but if you are still on the fence then you can try it this weekend during the second beta which will be on Ps4, Xbox one and PC. And it comes out on the 20th

edit:

Buccaneer fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Feb 22, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

My uncle works at Metal gear survive studios and he said this game was going to be great.

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

:matters:

How do I sign up for beta, OP?

Buccaneer
Jun 24, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
I played it on psn and it was just a download from the store, I can only assume its going to be the same for xbox and Steam

Buccaneer
Jun 24, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
People who might enjoy this game shouldnt pass on trying it because of the Metal Gear title and its associations

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
Want to buy it... but it's real expensive in my Steam store for no reason, equivalent to like 55 bucks when most games out come out at half that. Need to figure out a way around that, thinking maybe look for someone in america to buy a code from GMG.

Buccaneer
Jun 24, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
Open beta for this game begins at midnight on psn, xbox, and steam

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003

Buccaneer posted:

Open beta for this game begins at midnight on psn, xbox, and steam

It was midnight UK so it's up: http://store.steampowered.com/app/797470/METAL_GEAR_SURVIVE_BETA/

Buccaneer
Jun 24, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xtZOQelhsoA

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

:matters:

This game doesn't seem good?

If they would have made it more of an action tower defense thing without the need to hack at wooden boxes and gather a bunch of tedious garbage I might be interested

The current system doesn't seem that bad but the UI makes it real cumbersome

I wanted it to be good, there's potential in there somewhere

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

New Zealand can eat me posted:

If they would have made it more of an action tower defense thing without the need to hack at wooden boxes and gather a bunch of tedious garbage I might be interested

the potential is called 'the mgsv engine and assets'. the bad parts are called 'metal gear survive'.

Oriental Hugs
Jun 15, 2001

Nothin' about hugs, though
I played the last beta on the ps4. This games... ok! I love stupid unlock and multiplayer games.

Buccaneer
Jun 24, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

New Zealand can eat me posted:

You dont have to gather stuff

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

You know what the OP needs?

Something that says "make drill go fast for s rank" or similar.

Caros
May 14, 2008

widespread posted:

You know what the OP needs?

Something that says "make drill go fast for s rank" or similar.

This, holy gently caress. I thought it was something to do with the damage the drill was taking, but after I aced it I still couldn't get better than a B. Was so drat confused.

Buccaneer posted:

You dont have to gather stuff

This is super true.

For maybe the first game or two you might want to smash some barrels or something to grab some iron for upgrades. After that, though, just finishing a mission showers you with materials, so I don't even bother. Short of grabbing some easy stashes on the run through, I don't even bother collecting stuff.

Honestly, it isn't any worse than collecting herbs and resources for mgs V, at least for the beta.

That said, I am really cautiously optimistic. The campaign mode actually looks good, they brought back codec, and even the cut scenes have a very mgs1 feel to them, which is neat.

Add that to the fact that the general gameplay is more or less the same as mgs V, and I'm kind of onboard.

Honestly, I'd Kojima hadn't gotten hosed over, and just decided to make this game, I have a feeling people would be pretty drat hype for it.

Painful Dart Bomb
May 23, 2012

And he was talking 'fore I knew it, and as he grew he'd say "I'm gonna be like you, dad" "You know I'm gonna be like you".
One thing I'm not crazy about is having to craft eeeverything. I only played a few matches but it got kind of annoying. Is there a way to craft a bunch of bullets at once?

The stealth and horde mode gameplay don't seem to jive that well either. In the matches I played everybody just ran to the drill and never really bothered sneaking around gathering stuff. Maybe the full game will have some different stuff to do.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
It looks like you break down or craft bullets one thing at a time so you won't cheese maps. So annoying that you can't do that on your down time.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
Is shitposting allowed in this thread? Be honest

No, I'm joking. I love the MGS series, I'm still pretty disappointed about Konami. They also make Castlevania, another one of my all-time favorite series and hosed that up, too. Now I'm bummed. gently caress you MGSurvive.

Buccaneer
Jun 24, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Scalding Coffee posted:

It looks like you break down or craft bullets one thing at a time so you won't cheese maps. So annoying that you can't do that on your down time.

You can

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I mean to make or break stuff in seconds without having it take minutes.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

As a heads up for UK/EU folks, The Game Collection has the game on sale for £21.95 with free shipping, all but making it a budget title in my eyes. For that kind of price, I'm willing to forgive a lot.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
https://twitter.com/Spalooncooties/status/964704978425262085

Agent Escalus
Oct 5, 2002

"I couldn't stop saying aloud how miscast Jim Carrey was!"

Firstborn posted:

Is shitposting allowed in this thread? Be honest

No, I'm joking. I love the MGS series, I'm still pretty disappointed about Konami. They also make Castlevania, another one of my all-time favorite series and hosed that up, too. Now I'm bummed. gently caress you MGSurvive.

Yes, but on the other hand, their fuckup management won't be in power forever and when new blood comes in and IF Konami is still a viable entity at that point...look, they made a Switch Bomberman game and pumped out updates and extra content for it - and that franchise got kicked to the gutter after that asstastic Act Zero entry. Hope isn't totally lost that the dolts who declared that pachinko and a single mobile game should be all their output and more important than their whole gaming legacy will either realize their errors or get booted. What happened with Kojima was awful and very public and PT might have been a classic, but it's either we the players reward the good moves or we watch the whole thing wither while the classic franchises either die for good or get scooped by someone else...wait, maybe that last one ain't so bad.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Will Metal Gear survive this entry in the franchise???

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Because of nanomachines.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003

Agent Escalus posted:

Yes, but on the other hand, their fuckup management won't be in power forever

https://kotaku.com/konamis-profits-increase-by-almost-230-percent-1792335574

Agent Escalus
Oct 5, 2002

"I couldn't stop saying aloud how miscast Jim Carrey was!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tbd4t-ua-WQ

Buccaneer
Jun 24, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Scalding Coffee posted:

I mean to make or break stuff in seconds without having it take minutes.

It doesnt

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

So uh.. is there really any other beta skill I should take? I got CQC Counter (might not be worth it to be quite honest), Quick Hands, that one that lets you grab the enemy and shove said enemy to one side, and I forgot what else. I just know I sunk a point into STR, AGI, and VIT.

Also as it turns out I managed to get worse despite picking up how to drop fences and other goodies. Died on the second wave twice of the easy mission via what I assume is overextending and jumping into the fray too often.

Also also, if the non drill missions still involve doing something useful with 5k Kuban Cigarillos, I'd recommend just using the five minutes you get to get 5k Kuban Cigarillos. It's five clusters or 10 kills or some combo.

Caros
May 14, 2008

widespread posted:

So uh.. is there really any other beta skill I should take? I got CQC Counter (might not be worth it to be quite honest), Quick Hands, that one that lets you grab the enemy and shove said enemy to one side, and I forgot what else. I just know I sunk a point into STR, AGI, and VIT.

Also as it turns out I managed to get worse despite picking up how to drop fences and other goodies. Died on the second wave twice of the easy mission via what I assume is overextending and jumping into the fray too often.

Also also, if the non drill missions still involve doing something useful with 5k Kuban Cigarillos, I'd recommend just using the five minutes you get to get 5k Kuban Cigarillos. It's five clusters or 10 kills or some combo.

From the other metal gear thread.

First off, for people who didn't get to see it, here is a re-host of the campaign footage. It's pretty good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EPHeWXAlZDM

Secondly, for those who are on the fence, I've got a few tips:

Mission One tips

Don't listen to the title - You are unlikely to win your first deployment. The start of the second wave throws five bombers at you right at the get go, enemies you aren't really equipped to kill if you don't know what you're doing. That is fine. Even if your digger gets destroyed, you still get your rewards, unless you yourself die. For your first few times, don't necessarily worry about trying to win so much as figuring out patterns etc. If possible, try and kill about 10 enemies/grab some kuban crystals so that you can speed up the drill right out of the gate. This can get you as high as a b ranking if you pay attention to it.

Ammo Resupply is your friend - After one or two 'successful' missions at C rank or above you should be given an automatic weapon and a shotgun. All of your weapons get filled when you use an ammo resupply, which means if you carry a handgun, shotgun and rifle, you've got 21, 10, and 90 rounds respectively, before adding any ammo pouches. Say goodbye to your ammo problems for that mission. One sad note, however, is the resupply does not carry over, all extra ammo is dropped out of your inventory at the end of the stage (I think back to what you started with) so it isn't a long term solution.

Surviving wave 2 - Now that you've got bullets galore, you can take on wave 2 with ease, even if you lose a bunch of health to the explosion fest at the start. Make sure you reengage the drill if it takes a bunch of hits. Other than that, shoot a bunch of zombies in the head. If you survive this wave you should make it to the end.

Wave 3 - Walker gear resupply. Even in solo campaign you get two of these, and so long as you don't suck at shooting the stage will be over before you run out of ammo. Don't forget to take both during the break.

Enemy tips

Bomber - Three ways to kill these guys. Body shots will do it but you'll have to put a decent number of shots into them to kill them that way. Don't shoot the 'head' as it is super armored. Secondly, you can circle around them and unload on the weak spot on their back. One shotgun shot, a few rifle shots and one or two pistol shots will do the job. Third way, is to do the running clothesline. If you hit them with this, they get stunned for about two seconds, during which you can circle around them. The timing is a bit weird, because the stun lasts longer than it takes you to get into position, but once you do, you can 'stealth kill' them instantly. Bombers will explode on target, or if they are killed by anything but the destruction of their weak spot, so keep that in mind. Sometimes better to blow their legs off if they are in a crowd.

Armored - These guys are a bitch. Grenades do the job to some extent, as does machine gun fire, but most of your handheld weapons are not great. A few strong shots to the head will pop their helmet, at which point they are easy to kill.

Detonator - These ones only show up in tier two missions. When they spot you they start to suicide bomb. You want to stop them, usually by stealth killing them. If you succeed, they drop some pretty good materials, up to and including ammo boxes that fill your entire inventory.

Jumping type - I haven't come across these guys enough to make a comment so far, sadly.

General tips

Drill - Make sure it is running at all times. The max rank you can get without doing so is Rank B. Also, you can restart it whenever you want, so don't feel the need to dick around looking for something to do between rounds if you don't have to.

Walker Gear - Don't forget your kick. The walker gear kick instant kills any wanderer I've come across, including armored and bombers.

Wormhole - Set a point and return there for free. Useful for jumping back to the base if you get super far out for some reason. Also useful to make sure you get a walker gear in multiplayer, because you can leave your wormhole next to their spawn point well before they spawn.

Healing items - The game doesn't do a great job of telling you this, but if you get hit, you can gain mgs3-esque injuries. To heal them, open your idroid and tap to the right. It'll highlight the injury and you can use the appropriate healing item to fix this. Took me ages to figure this one out.

Upgrades - You get 15 total upgrades for the beta. I recommend picking a weapon and sticking to it, I'm a fan of the spear myself. Ignore the 'stomp' ability, it sucks. One 'must have' ability is the quick move ability. It costs some stamina, but the combat system is designed around the idea that you have this ability. This way, if you see a zombie attacking, you can actually get out of his way. The melee feels a million times better once you have this.

Item Upgrades - After one or two missions you should have enough materials to upgrade your gear. Make sure you 5 star all your gear, and add the option parts which give you extra ammo. The ammo resupply combined with say, the rifle pouches, means you get a total of 390 rounds with each resupply, which is just hilarious at that point.

Final thoughts

Honestly, the game looks really good. It is a tad shallow right now, but as far as I can tell, that is just because we're in the beta. The feel of the campaign material presented so far feels very MGS, and the overall game mechanics are pretty fun. About my only complaint/request is that I'm hoping the campaign/other mission types lean a little bit more into the stealth aspects, as right now it is a bit too action heavy.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003

widespread posted:

The sidestep is REALLY good, it's more like a dash. It lets you skip some windup animation for attacks and cancel moves too.

The heavy attack for each weapon is good, each one is really different and has different uses but they all hit hard.

The running attack sounds nice but in practice zombies will often hit you as you run in. You need VIT to really use that well or something, maybe combine it with lures so they are distracted.

The standing stomp is kind of lovely. In my experience, it doesn't do that much damage and I only see it being useful if both your main weapons are ungodly slow or maybe if you are focused on guns and shot at legs.

The crouching kick that knocks down enemies looks super cool but I'm not sure it's that useful. I got it thinking I could quickly knock down enemies and sledgehammer them but it's not as fluid as I wish it were.

I haven't tried the dive attack or the push. I think the push might knock multiple enemies back so it might be kind of nice, I need to try.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

the menu setup for this game is nightmarish. bombers have a giant glowing red anus weakpoint on their back. i have no idea how to get more drinkable water. this is what i have learned from playing the beta of metal gear survive today.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Cowcaster posted:

the menu setup for this game is nightmarish. bombers have a giant glowing red anus weakpoint on their back. i have no idea how to get more drinkable water. this is what i have learned from playing the beta of metal gear survive today.

If you have empty bottles, there outpost you start the game on normal has a ton of water. I imagine in the full game it'll be easy to come by.

Buccaneer
Jun 24, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Cowcaster posted:

You dont really need food, water or medical supplies in multiplayer

Caros
May 14, 2008

Buccaneer posted:

You dont really need food, water or medical supplies in multiplayer

It helps a little on the hard mission, since you'll get down to about 60% stamina by the end if you don't drink. But yeah, not really.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Saving up your gunpowder and crafting the static machine gun and automatic machine gun, is loads better than wasting it on crafting bullets.
Hard mode has some poo poo kicker zombie that knocks you down in one hit and I can't tell the difference.
S ranking Hard mode requires constant drill upgrading, because you have a few seconds of leeway before failure.

Quicksilver6
Mar 21, 2008

In summary from the other Metal Gear thread

- Wear any chest armor aside from the mother base fatigues - you can customize them to have Magazine Pouches under Option Parts. Double 5.56 pouches take you from 120 rounds to 400. Note that emptying all 400 rounds will take you to about 50% rifle durability. Beware.
- Option Parts for guns under Customize are how you make suppressors. Suppressor durability is tied into weapon durability, so they last quite a bit longer. Make them!
- Ammo resupplies mid-mission are far, far better than crafting ammo at base. Take enough to survive a round, then do the side missions, stealth kill detonators, or call in ammunition if possible from the drill.
- You want the highest ranks if you want new equipment - power that drat drill!
- You can withdraw whenever. If you just need mats, survive a round while powering the drill up to C/B and then leave. There's no penalty as opposed to the drill being destroyed which costs you some rank, or dying which gives you nothing.

Also Beret 4 lyfe

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

Quicksilver6 posted:

In summary from the other Metal Gear thread

- Wear any chest armor aside from the mother base fatigues - you can customize them to have Magazine Pouches under Option Parts. Double 5.56 pouches take you from 120 rounds to 400. Note that emptying all 400 rounds will take you to about 50% rifle durability. Beware.
- Option Parts for guns under Customize are how you make suppressors. Suppressor durability is tied into weapon durability, so they last quite a bit longer. Make them!
- Ammo resupplies mid-mission are far, far better than crafting ammo at base. Take enough to survive a round, then do the side missions, stealth kill detonators, or call in ammunition if possible from the drill.
- You want the highest ranks if you want new equipment - power that drat drill!
- You can withdraw whenever. If you just need mats, survive a round while powering the drill up to C/B and then leave. There's no penalty as opposed to the drill being destroyed which costs you some rank, or dying which gives you nothing.

Also Beret 4 lyfe

Wait, the gently caress, YOU CAN CARRY OBSCENE AMOUNTS OF BULLET?!

THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
What is the point of having a suppressor when you can run past them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caros
May 14, 2008

widespread posted:

Wait, the gently caress, YOU CAN CARRY OBSCENE AMOUNTS OF BULLET?!

THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING.

It really does.

I have a feeling that the main game is going to have some bitching melee options, but just the option to use your guns more often makes the game considerably more fun.

• Locked thread