Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Incessant Excess posted:

Is there something Hydra does beyond searching multiple indexers at once that I'm not seeing? It seems like it'd be completely useless when using a single indexer.

Hydra is just a convenience and a cool thing to do since you get stats about your indexers...and only useful if you have a few of them.

I've got 6 indexers. It's interesting to see how much their performance varies.

Thermopyle fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Feb 7, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg
I decided to check my Hydra for the first time in a while, and here are my stats:

NZBGeek and PFMonkey are the best, as I'd suspected, though NZBCat has a notable advantage on response time. DogNZB just sucks.

I wish there was some way to migrate Usenet Megasearch stats into NZBHydra (if megasearch even kept stats?). I used that for years before Hydra rolled around.

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
there was this racist piece of shit in your av so I fixed it
you're welcome
pay it forward~
Been a couple years since I've used Usenet, I used to use an Astraweb block account. Is that still a good deal? $50 for 1TB then I used to pair with Blocknews (maybe 200GB) as the backup. I am not a heavy downloader obviously, just like having access to usenet when I wish. 1TB lasted me two years before.

I just don't want to buy an Astraweb block if they've turned to poo poo. They weren't great before but good enough. I know blocknews used to be the gold standard though they were pretty pricey, though they seem cheaper now so maybe I should just go with them for $75?

Retention time/completion is the most important thing for me. Don't give a poo poo about speed because I am on slow rear end DSL anyway.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

I decided to check my Hydra for the first time in a while, and here are my stats:

NZBGeek and PFMonkey are the best, as I'd suspected, though NZBCat has a notable advantage on response time. DogNZB just sucks.

I wish there was some way to migrate Usenet Megasearch stats into NZBHydra (if megasearch even kept stats?). I used that for years before Hydra rolled around.

Look again, the pie chart is how many times an indexer actually served the NZB for you. PFMonkey is the biggest but #2 is Dog not Geek. I checked my stats and I'm 60 Dog, 30 geek, 10 everything else. But that's just what my material is. I may look at PFMonkey though. Hell I fully forgot I had dog, I thought that I was mostly just geek.

insularis
Sep 21, 2002

Donated $20. Get well, Lowtax.
Fun Shoe

Thermopyle posted:

Hydra is just a convenience and a cool thing to do since you get stats about your indexers...and only useful if you have a few of them.

I've got 6 indexers. It's interesting to see how much their performance varies.

I've got about 6 indexers as well. Hydra is great for different content (some are great for ebooks, bad for movies), fault tolerance (2 indexers went down forever, no problem, my system keeps rolling), and simplicity (one API key for Radarr, Sonarr, Lidarr, Lazy Librarian, etc).

It's definitely a convenience thing. But it's also a low resource, quick to setup thing, so why not?

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Hughlander posted:

Look again, the pie chart is how many times an indexer actually served the NZB for you. PFMonkey is the biggest but #2 is Dog not Geek. I checked my stats and I'm 60 Dog, 30 geek, 10 everything else. But that's just what my material is. I may look at PFMonkey though. Hell I fully forgot I had dog, I thought that I was mostly just geek.

Dog is fourth; PF, .org, and Geek are all above it.

They also have the lowest percentage of unique results.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

Dog is fourth; PF, .org, and Geek are all above it.

They also have the lowest percentage of unique results.

Ok then I'm just completely blind / missled by circle parts. The dog really looked larger :)

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

Hughlander posted:

Ok then I'm just completely blind / missled by circle parts. The dog really looked larger :)

Pie charts are a terrible way to display information. The same data presented two other ways:

e: a third because I like excel

More clear, right?

SymmetryrtemmyS fucked around with this message at 09:31 on Feb 8, 2018

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

I gave up on Dog, too many damned problems there. Problems with their payment methods, the awful way they handled lifetime sub reversion and continual performance problems. I left them in Hydra with an API limit for the free account but even with priority they contribute very few of my grabs.

porksmash
Sep 30, 2008

Incessant Excess posted:

Is there something Hydra does beyond searching multiple indexers at once that I'm not seeing? It seems like it'd be completely useless when using a single indexer.

That's the main purpose, but here's the full list: https://github.com/theotherp/nzbhydra#features

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
Blocknews has a sale, 500GB for 15 dollars using this link:

https://billing.blocknews.net/signup/cryptosale

Limited to one per account and you can use paypal or a credit card.

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
there was this racist piece of shit in your av so I fixed it
you're welcome
pay it forward~
Thanks just what I'm looking for

Jesse Iceberg
Jan 7, 2012

What's best practice for integrating NZBHydra with Sonarr?

I used to have all my indexers configured in Sonarr to do both RSS sync and episode search, which I guess is the default behaviour.

If I'm moving the indexers to NZBHydra (to get at those juicy stats), should I just have that configured as the sole indexer in Sonarr, and then disable RSS sync and episode search on the rest of the indexers inside Sonarr?

Or should I leave RSS sync enabled for them, but disable episode search so searches only go through Hydra?

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Jesse Iceberg posted:

What's best practice for integrating NZBHydra with Sonarr?

I used to have all my indexers configured in Sonarr to do both RSS sync and episode search, which I guess is the default behaviour.

If I'm moving the indexers to NZBHydra (to get at those juicy stats), should I just have that configured as the sole indexer in Sonarr, and then disable RSS sync and episode search on the rest of the indexers inside Sonarr?

Or should I leave RSS sync enabled for them, but disable episode search so searches only go through Hydra?

Only go through hydra.

ILikeVoltron
May 17, 2003

I <3 spyderbyte!

Incessant Excess posted:

Blocknews has a sale, 500GB for 15 dollars using this link:

https://billing.blocknews.net/signup/cryptosale

Limited to one per account and you can use paypal or a credit card.

They take dogecoin as payments... lol ok, unloading $15 worth of a useless coin. That was an easy decision.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
https://www.bulknews.eu/ who I have never heard of but are apparently a Cheapnews (maybe Abavia, not sure) reseller, are doing some Valentine's Day promos, among them a 1000GB block account for 10 Euros with promo code "love18" during checkout.

Here's the link to the 1000GB Block store page cause the site is kinda bad: https://www.bulknews.eu/en/usenet-block-1000-gb/

Incessant Excess fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Feb 13, 2018

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Does Tweaknews ever do block discounts? I had 200GB as a backup and chewed through it relatively quickly, even when it's at the bottom of my priority list.

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?
I'm really impressed with how snappy nzbhydra2 runs after some initial testing.

The old one was constantly trashing the disk with writes and using way too much CPU time when I had it set up in sickrage and couchpotato, and searches were timing out so often it was the cause of lots of missed releases and had to be taken out. Kept the software running a while longer for manual searches, but in the end the whole thing sort of imploded on itself and got so hosed it was impossible to even access the web interface.

Will have to see how this successor performs over time, but it's several magnitudes faster than the old codebase ever was.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe
I played around with it when it was first released, there were some high CPU usage bugs that got annoying. I downloaded a fresh docker image a few days ago and its been running well since so it looks like they sorted it out. Query speed is very fast and I don't even notice the memory bump.

The v1 migration stuff wouldn't work for me if I included the historical DB, kept erroring out same as before. I just unticked that and stuck with the indexers, I don't care if I lose the nzb stats so long as I don't have to redo the indexer setup haha.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Keito posted:

I'm really impressed with how snappy nzbhydra2 runs after some initial testing.

The old one was constantly trashing the disk with writes and using way too much CPU time when I had it set up in sickrage and couchpotato, and searches were timing out so often it was the cause of lots of missed releases and had to be taken out. Kept the software running a while longer for manual searches, but in the end the whole thing sort of imploded on itself and got so hosed it was impossible to even access the web interface.

Will have to see how this successor performs over time, but it's several magnitudes faster than the old codebase ever was.

What kind of system were you running the old one on?

I'm still running the old one and it never even comes close to the top 10 processes on my i5 server.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Usenet.farm has 30% off with VAL2018.

Block accounts are 15€ for 500GB normally. They aren’t a reseller (I think).

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
Sonarr is down at the moment, in case anyone else tries to add a new series for 10 minutes wondering why it's not working.

ClassH
Mar 18, 2008

Incessant Excess posted:

Sonarr is down at the moment, in case anyone else tries to add a new series for 10 minutes wondering why it's not working.

What broke, it's api to thetvdb?

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
I'm not sure what exactly the problem is but you can't add new shows anymore, I tried and it just times out basically.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe
Some of the sonarr servers are toast at the moment. You can still add shows by using the tvdb ID.

ILikeVoltron
May 17, 2003

I <3 spyderbyte!

Boris Galerkin posted:

Usenet.farm has 30% off with VAL2018.

Block accounts are 15€ for 500GB normally. They aren’t a reseller (I think).

Usenet.farm is a hybrid. They have their own storage which has (iirc) a short retention of under or around 1 month. After their retention they use one of the large providers (I think giganews?) as a backend.

With that said, I find them to be the best primary account with blocknews being my #2. Between those two I never hit my 3rd provider (astra).

Edit: Also, blocknews is doing a sale: https://billing.blocknews.net/signup/cryptosale

They took doge coins as a payment... I'm just amazed that worked.

ClassH
Mar 18, 2008

The Gunslinger posted:

Some of the sonarr servers are toast at the moment. You can still add shows by using the tvdb ID.

I honestly didn't know the program actually went back to their servers for anything other than updates.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

ClassH posted:

I honestly didn't know the program actually went back to their servers for anything other than updates.

It's probably fairly necessary for them to run their own caching proxy since thetvdb would ban their API key pretty quickly with the amount of traffic they would send their way.

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?

Thermopyle posted:

What kind of system were you running the old one on?

I'm still running the old one and it never even comes close to the top 10 processes on my i5 server.

It's a Debian box with Core 2 Q6600 (loving ancient at this point, I know). The CPU load was really bad but even worse was honestly the insane disk I/O that came with every single search, completely making GBS threads up everything. I know Python is slow and that this was the guy's language learning project that spiraled way out of its intended scope, but regardless of that you should as a programmer be aware of how expensive disk writes are and try to minimize them.

Good on him for being able to realize the foundation was hosed and deciding to take on the massive job of rewriting the entire software from scratch, it's not something you see very often.

Thermopyle posted:

It's probably fairly necessary for them to run their own caching proxy since thetvdb would ban their API key pretty quickly with the amount of traffic they would send their way.
Maybe they should do the same for XEM, IIRC Sonarr users account for like 80-90% of the total traffic there.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Can i have Sonarr/Radarr download only mp4 files?
I'm running into some transcoding limitations on my Synology NAS with the mkv files Sonarr/Radarr usually grabs where it maxes out the CPU when streaming to Plex and i get stuttering unless i tell it to lower the quality. Googling says that this is because it has to transcode and that it wouldn't have to transcode if they were mp4 files.

Alternatively can i get something to have the files be converted to mp4 ON the Synology NAS? They are too big to download from the NAS to my computer or fit on any USB thingy i have.

insularis
Sep 21, 2002

Donated $20. Get well, Lowtax.
Fun Shoe

Dongattack posted:

Can i have Sonarr/Radarr download only mp4 files?
I'm running into some transcoding limitations on my Synology NAS with the mkv files Sonarr/Radarr usually grabs where it maxes out the CPU when streaming to Plex and i get stuttering unless i tell it to lower the quality. Googling says that this is because it has to transcode and that it wouldn't have to transcode if they were mp4 files.

Alternatively can i get something to have the files be converted to mp4 ON the Synology NAS? They are too big to download from the NAS to my computer or fit on any USB thingy i have.

Well, it looks like you can install ffmpeg on a Synology, so changing containers shouldn't be hard. Basically just make a script that runs every so often that looks for .MKV extension files and pipes that result into

code:
ffmpeg -i %scriptoutput.mkv -acodec copy -vcodec copy out.mp4  && rm %scriptoutput.mkv
That way you're not transcoding the content and hammering your NAS processor, just changing containers.

Here's a Synology forum thread about installing ffmpeg that you can read through whenever their forums come back up.

Here's a little script to do everything in a directory:

code:
#!/bin/bash
if [ -d "${1}" ] ; then
  cd "${1}" && for f in *.mkv; do ffmpeg -i "$f" -acodec copy -vcodec copy "${f%.mkv}.mp4"; done
fi
Save that as mkv2mp4 and
code:
chmod +x mkv2mp4
it to make it executable.

and then use it by calling:

code:
find /mnt/media/series/SomeDirectoryWhereYourMKVsAre -type d -exec ./mkv2mp4 "{}" \; && rm *.mkv
This took about 30 seconds to complete the conversion in a TV directory with 13 MKVs on my FreeNAS array.

So, just put command in a scheduled task or cron job (not sure how Synology handles those), and all your .mkv files will be converted to .mp4 every time it runs, and then the .mkv files will be deleted.

insularis fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Feb 19, 2018

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
I have all my indexers set up individually in Sonarr, is there any point in adding Hydra as an indexer to Sonarr if I'm using the same indexers there? Do I need to remove the individual indexers in Sonarr so I don't ping em twice whenever Sonarr looks for stuff? I'm asking because Sonarr is not finding a specific release despite it showing up in Hydra/when I search on the website of the indexer.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Incessant Excess posted:

I have all my indexers set up individually in Sonarr, is there any point in adding Hydra as an indexer to Sonarr if I'm using the same indexers there? Do I need to remove the individual indexers in Sonarr so I don't ping em twice whenever Sonarr looks for stuff? I'm asking because Sonarr is not finding a specific release despite it showing up in Hydra/when I search on the website of the indexer.

one of the main points of hydra is that you use only it in Sonarr/Radarr/whatever.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe

Incessant Excess posted:

Yes you should only use Hydra. It is just way easier to point to a single thing when your config or install inevitably get trashed one day rather than redoing it all. Also if something isn't showing up it is probably due how its named, retention or etc. Keep fiddling with settings until you figure it out.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
Is there readily available 4K stuff through Sonarr and Radarr? Is the HDR preserved?

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

KingKapalone posted:

Is there readily available 4K stuff through Sonarr and Radarr? Is the HDR preserved?

Stuff on usenet is available on indexers, you add those to Sonarr/Radarr and Sonarr/Radarr then automatically search those indexers depending on the quality profiles you specified, you can specify 4K content. HDR can be preserved or can be stripped away, depends on the type of release. It's easier to find something with HDR if there is a UHD Bluray release of it, so don't expect every currently airing TV show to have a HDR version available.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
Oh I'm a long time usenet user, but I've got an LG OLED on the way so I'm going to want 4K HDR stuff. I looked up a new blu-ray movie but there's only one 4k file up and the filename doesn't mention HDR so not sure about that plus it's only 17GB. Looked at another that had 3, two had NL subs, and one is a remux with Atmos that is 83GB.

Looked up an episode of a show that I know has both and there are two files which are huge (~20GB).

TV I can probably just use Netflix directly. For movies, just wondering if I'm going to need to get a UHD player to get 4K, HDR, Atmos, and/or DTS-HD MA / TrueHD 7.1.

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005
If you're looking for HDR content you'll want to look for '2160p remux' as part of the title, particularly if they're movies. Scene encodes for 4K/HDR content are currently total garbage until the settings for x265 encodes are optimized by scene and p2p groups. The remux files will often be 30-50gb but the difference between Scene/Remux releases on 4K HDR content is currently significantly more different than Scene/Remux comparisons on x264 encodes.

If a file name doesn't say SDR and it's a Remux or scene encode then it will be in HDR - it's merely implied and assumed unless it suggests otherwise in the file name so long as the original release was in HDR.

You'll get HDR10 support but currently there's no way for you to playback Dolby Vision on a remux or other file, only a full BD50 and you'd likely need access to a private tracker (ideally PTP) to obtain most of those. HDR10 should be plenty good though, very little content is available in DV right now aside from Netflix and bitrate starved garbage on iTunes.

Nairbo fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Feb 17, 2018

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
What do i do when Sonarr/SABNZBD finds a download with missing archives and skips that download? I need it to go find a different download i assume, but i don't know how to do it.

Also thanks insularis for helping me with the mp4 converting thing and pointing me towards ffmpeg/scripts, i wanted to post and say thanks when i figured out how to do it, but i'm not quite there yet!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bred
Oct 24, 2008
Sonarr will see the download as failed, mark the nzb as failed, then try another nzb until it has a good download or runs out of nzbs that fit your criteria. It depends on how many results your indexers provide and how strict your criteria are.