Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
not that i think you're wrong, mind you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

less laughter posted:

To make you feel a bit old today is exactly 5 years after Sylveon was first revealed.

Ah the days when we thought there was a Bug Eevee.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
I thought it was Flying before the Fairy type was revealed

Phweengee
Nov 5, 2012
A request for insight please.

I finally got a timid Poipole/Naganadel with Hidden Power Ground, unfortunately the 3 maxed stats are HP, attack, and defense. It's speed stat IV is lower than special attack, but the actual value of speed is 116 vs SPA of 114. Assuming I don't put more ev into SPA than speed, i don't need to worry about that SPA stat creeping higher than speed, do I?

I'm trying to make sure in the long run that beast boost continues to buff speed and not SPA.

I think, based on the core stat chart, it shouldn't be a problem, but I want to be sure.

Also, I plan to use bottle caps, will that affect beast boost? If so, then my concern is moot.

Yuwe
Apr 6, 2009

Phweengee posted:

I finally got a timid Poipole/Naganadel with Hidden Power Ground, unfortunately the 3 maxed stats are HP, attack, and defense. It's speed stat IV is lower than special attack, but the actual value of speed is 116 vs SPA of 114. Assuming I don't put more ev into SPA than speed, i don't need to worry about that SPA stat creeping higher than speed, do I?

I'm trying to make sure in the long run that beast boost continues to buff speed and not SPA.

I think, based on the core stat chart, it shouldn't be a problem, but I want to be sure.

Also, I plan to use bottle caps, will that affect beast boost? If so, then my concern is moot.

With Timid nature and 31 IVs + 252 EVs in both, Speed will still be higher than Special Attack, since the nature is a 10% boost after everything else. For the purposes of Beast Boost, your final stats are what's considered, so a bottle capped stat is equivalent in that determination to a 31 IV.

Phweengee
Nov 5, 2012

Toraen posted:

With Timid nature and 31 IVs + 252 EVs in both, Speed will still be higher than Special Attack, since the nature is a 10% boost after everything else. For the purposes of Beast Boost, your final stats are what's considered, so a bottle capped stat is equivalent in that determination to a 31 IV.

Good deal. Thank you.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Phweengee posted:

I gotta say that I really hate the way Hidden Power works. It feels like unless you have great luck or the ability to edit Pokemon via a 3rd party program you can never get the HP that you want.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

Phweengee posted:

Bottle caps change the stats, so yes beast boost will be affected.

The only way a bottle capped mon differs (in battle) from a non-bottle capped mon is that its apparent IVs might not match its Hidden Power type (c/d?)

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Hammerite posted:

Bottle caps change the stats, so yes beast boost will be affected.

The only way a bottle capped mon differs (in battle) from a non-bottle capped mon is that its apparent IVs might not match its Hidden Power type (c/d?)

Correct. The only thing its 'real' IVs matter for are hidden power and breeding post- Bottle Cap.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Bottle Caps don't change Hidden Power, it just acts like the IV is 31, so you might as well bottle cap your stats to max and then EV appropriately, that's what will change what gets boosted by Beast Boost.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

bottle caps are a sin

Phweengee
Nov 5, 2012
Y'all are confirming several things I thought I understood, thank you. Except for bottle caps being a sin. Hammerite, I appreciate your DROD avatar.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Next week's pokemon episode looks a little different...
https://twitter.com/morningmoonmeme/status/964171217166000129

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe

Phweengee posted:

Y'all are confirming several things I thought I understood, thank you. Except for bottle caps being a sin. Hammerite, I appreciate your DROD avatar.

I am always pleased when somebody recognises my avatar, and also when I am asked why my avatar is a clown's head coming out of a vagina, as has been known to happen

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal
Giving everyone an update on history's greatest atrocity:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I fail to see the problem :colbert:

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Next week's pokemon episode looks a little different...
https://twitter.com/morningmoonmeme/status/964171217166000129

Pokemania 2018. Now all we need is Hawlucha.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

CubeTheory posted:

Giving everyone an update on history's greatest atrocity:

You think you have it rough, my favorite gen 7 is Araquanid. That head bubble makes most merchandise unfeasible.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Ometeotl posted:

You think you have it rough, my favorite gen 7 is Araquanid. That head bubble makes most merchandise unfeasible.

If they can make a Rotom plush and just forget about his blue aura I think they can make an Araquanid one.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Pokemon Showdown is a fun game.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-705338660

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

The handy way to know who the best player in the match is whomever nicknamed their pokemon is the better player.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
i remember last march when i was in the pokemon megacenter in ikebukuro they only had merch for like, pikachu, eevee and its evolutions, and various alola pokemon

two of my friends wanted absol and gardevoir and i wanted togekiss and i walked out without any of em

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
Holy poo poo! A shiny Steenee! I’ve never found a shiny before! She’s gorgeous :3:

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
Would anyone with PKHex access mind helping me out with my Poipole today? I remembered to bring a Synchronize pokémon for its nature, but I forgot about IVs and now its speed IV is wrong. :(

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
I evolved my random-encounter shiny Steenee and now she is kicking things in the face. I'm so happy. Named her Gloriana.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

HopperUK posted:

I evolved my random-encounter shiny Steenee and now she is kicking things in the face. I'm so happy. Named her Gloriana.

Tsareena is a true queen, and you're lucky to have a shiny one. The one plant queen to rule them all.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
Where in hell can I teach my Smeargle a move? I thought I could try the Battle Tree doubles but the AI is like predestined to kill a Smeargle ASAP or some poo poo and I can't be bothered to level him up super high so he can survive three hits, that's crazy.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Diet Poison posted:

Where in hell can I teach my Smeargle a move? I thought I could try the Battle Tree doubles but the AI is like predestined to kill a Smeargle ASAP or some poo poo and I can't be bothered to level him up super high so he can survive three hits, that's crazy.

Find a wild Smeargle, get it into SOS calling, use a move to kill one Smeargle while the other sketches, bring out your own Smeargle, sketch it? I think that would work.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe

Diet Poison posted:

I assume battle facilities wouldn't work for teaching Smeargle since pokemon are reset after each battle.

dungeon cousin
Nov 26, 2012

woop woop
loop loop

oddium posted:

bottle caps are a sin

Don't worry. They'll be gone next gen.

notoriousman
Nov 18, 2007

I'M AWARE I'M
AN IDIOT

Diet Poison posted:

Get a Pokémon that knows the move, put it in front of a wild Ditto, then send out your Smeargle. For an easier time use the move deleter to erase any move but the one you want used.

And yeah, any battle <facility>, link battle or the like won't let Smeargle permanently learn a move.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
The new Team Plasma menu themes for the 3DS once again confirm that the official abbreviation for B2W2 is B2W2. :toot:

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
All right, so I've managed to snag two Anticipation Eevee's from Wonder Trading a whole box of Cubones (I was hunting for the Thick Club), and one of them already became a Sylveon, but I wonder what hould I do with the other one. I don't know which other eeveelution can make good use of their hidden ability, especially in story (just got to Ula Ula). Any tips? I'm playing USUM.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Magic Bounce Espeon can be pretty good. Guts Flareon can be gimmicky if necssary. but jolteon and vaporeon are usually better off with their normal abilities.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Kikas posted:

All right, so I've managed to snag two Anticipation Eevee's from Wonder Trading a whole box of Cubones (I was hunting for the Thick Club), and one of them already became a Sylveon, but I wonder what hould I do with the other one. I don't know which other eeveelution can make good use of their hidden ability, especially in story (just got to Ula Ula). Any tips? I'm playing USUM.

Espeon has the best hidden ability of the lot. Magic Bounce is super good. Leafeon probably wants Chlorophyll too since Leaf Guard is pretty trash.

Most of the rest want their normal abilities though. Jolteon's is trash, Vaporeon's is incredibly situational, Glaceon's is trash, Umbreon's is trash and Flareon's is... okay I guess and mostly a tradeoff from its normal one.

Zore fucked around with this message at 09:23 on Feb 19, 2018

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
I just learned that Dedenne is a Fairy-type because it’s based on this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Little_Mouse
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ratoncito_P%E9rez

Finally it all makes sense.

less laughter fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Feb 19, 2018

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
Thanks for the feedback, Espeon it is. Goddamnit I hate friendship evos.

TroubledWaters
Aug 9, 2007

Some kind of...
oil trap!
If I run from my second Stakataka, will I ever encounter another one?

I'd like to farm up a Lucario but I can't do it without running into one of these things and feeling the need to soft reset. I'd rather put off until later the required IV checking that I should do for Stakataka.

e: I had completely forgotten I had already asked something similar to this, but the guy who responded killed his and did not know if the nature resets during the next encounter. Now that awhile has passed, does anyone know if running from and encountering again resets Stakataka's nature, or is it set the first time I meet one?

TroubledWaters fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Feb 19, 2018

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

Kikas posted:

Goddamnit I hate friendship evos.

Yesterday I had a Buneary that I fully EV trained with items & Festival Plaza stuff evolve after its very first battle, so it's definitely faster than it used to be.

(Lopunny's design is so much worse and creepier in 3D, dear god.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Pokemon Bank renewal time for those who have had it since it was stable.