Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who should get the final Elimination Chamber Spot?
This poll is closed.
Finn Balor 5 6.58%
Seth Rollins 0 0%
Squeeze them both into one pod 35 46.05%
Give THE BIG DOG! two pods to himself 36 47.37%
Total: 76 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

VJeff posted:

Nakamura's probably gonna be WWE champion, so...

...you're still probably right. :(

He'll be champ for a while, lose to AJ in an understandable move, then drop to midcard hell forever.

Yes, he's going to get Ambrose'd.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

SamuraiFoochs posted:

Seriously RIP any meaningful matches for Ambrose, Nakamura, Balor, any NXT call-ups, Miz, Elias, Corbin, any tag team, Bray... Christ this is awful.

Ambrose, Nakamura, Balor, Miz and Elias will all be fine. What sucks is we're not going to have a PPV like No Mercy with three women's and two cruiserweight matches.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

SamuraiFoochs posted:

Seriously RIP any meaningful matches for Ambrose, Nakamura, Balor, any NXT call-ups, Miz, Elias, Corbin, any tag team, Bray... Christ this is awful.

You’re right, we should look on the bright side.

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames

SamuraiFoochs posted:

He'll be champ for a while, lose to AJ in an understandable move, then drop to midcard hell forever.

Yes, he's going to get Ambrose'd.

In the end, though, even if the brand split gave Nak (and AJ, and others) the chance to become WWE champion, it was always a facade really. Nak as WWE champion -- or AJ as WWE champion -- would never, ever main event a PPV that has Universal Champion Roman Reigns on it. in management's eyes, they're paper champions.

Granted, WWE Champion CM Punk rarely main evented a show that non-champion Cena had a match on, but it's doubly guaranteed now.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Hm, less time for Dean Ambrose matches you say?

Sorry, that was a negative?

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Rarity posted:

Ambrose, Nakamura, Balor, Miz and Elias will all be fine. What sucks is we're not going to have a PPV like No Mercy with three women's and two cruiserweight matches.

No they won't. We've got one cross brand PPV a month. IF you defend every title, that's 8 matches right there. 9 if you count cruiser. RIP one on one feuds, tag teams, midcard titles, and women.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

This whole "list Elias with all the unused talents" thing is just one of those "Yeah, sure, Ryback is totally a star", "Fandango's hugely over" things that will pass, right?

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

SamuraiFoochs posted:

No they won't. We've got one cross brand PPV a month. IF you defend every title, that's 8 matches right there. 9 if you count cruiser. RIP one on one feuds, tag teams, midcard titles, and women.

You're acting like Roman, Rousey, AJ and Asuka are the only people who are going to be wrestling. Yes it's bad but you're being ridiculously hyperbolic.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Yeah, all those guys you listed will be in 6 way matches and 8 man tags.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Having the midcard crammed up with multi man matches could really hurt the Miz. Feuds suffer when you they aren't one on one and it's hard for a guy to shine on the mic in that environment.

RacistGuidingLight
Apr 5, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
I liked the brand split, and it's execution. Not heavily a fan of two big belts, but it's understandable and necessary.
Smackdown was always the lesser of the separate but equal and the uppercard of it will mostly be eaten by the Raw one. Another false start for Mojo, Corbin won't get much next to Stroman, maybe the Usos will supplant Sheamus and Cesaro in the tag team holding pattern?

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
There is a regrettable lack of Sheamus on most of these lists, so here I come to tell you you want him, and also Cesaro because they are a ton of fun together. My own 10:

Sheamus, Cesaro, Rusev, Braun Strowman, Luke Harper, AOP, Samoa Joe, KANE, Kevin Owens, Aleister Black

Sheamus/Cesaro/Joe/Owens to build up the cruiserweight division, Black is the Hornswoggle of the promotion, i.e. my illegitimate son.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

MassRafTer posted:

Having the midcard crammed up with multi man matches could really hurt the Miz. Feuds suffer when you they aren't one on one and it's hard for a guy to shine on the mic in that environment.

This is the biggest problem for me. Not just Miz but the entire midcard is destroyed by this. Same with tag teams and women.

Also RIP to Joe, Rusev, Sami, and probably Owens as well actually.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

https://twitter.com/BillyGunnFact/status/964632969590779905

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

This is true. Road Dogg almost singlehandedly killed SmackDown and job prospects for probably like 2 dozen guys and ladies when you factor brand split, tag teams, women, and potential NXT success stories. It's almost impressive.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Imagine a full year of the midcard being booked like it was that time they had the IC title be in a multiman clusterfuck ladder match where the build was 95% "random person steals belt this week" and 5% "call Bryan a turd"

god, I'll never forget the spoiler thread for that Smackdown. Almost everyone genuinely didn't believe that turd segment happened until the second it aired

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y62iJTHz3ZY

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

I wanna know what that deleted tweet said.

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

Okay, I'll admit it took me a bit to get into it... But I think I kinda love this!! I'm Spider-Man!! I'm actually Spider-Man!! HA!
This will suck because of WWE, but it's not something that's bad in a vacuum.

You can actually follow WWE's logic every step of the way as to why they did what they did with the brand split.

1. Do a brand split so people will watch Smackdown
2. Turns out smackdown ratings are highly correlated with Raw ratings, so let's try to spike people's interest in raw
3. People don't want to come to the monthly brand-split ppvs, so we cut down on those
4. People still don't wanna come to the brand split ppvs even with 2 months between them (and it's probably hurting our tv because we can't write)
5. End brand split ppvs

I'm sure you could figure out ways to make this work out well. Big blow off shows on the go home for angles that won't make the ppv; raw and sd stars interacting in the back once a month to tease future angles or switches

jackofarcades fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Feb 17, 2018

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
https://twitter.com/WWE/status/964958805162364928

RacistGuidingLight
Apr 5, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Chris James 2 posted:

Imagine a full year of the midcard being booked like it was that time they had the IC title be in a multiman clusterfuck ladder match where the build was 95% "random person steals belt this week" and 5% "call Bryan a turd"

god, I'll never forget the spoiler thread for that Smackdown. Almost everyone genuinely didn't believe that turd segment happened until the second it aired

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y62iJTHz3ZY

I think it was a dark segment they decided to air.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

jackofarcades posted:

This will suck because of WWE, but it's not something that's bad in a vacuum.

You can actually follow WWE's logic every step of the way as to why they did what they did with the brand split.

1. Do a brand split so people will watch Smackdown
2. Turns out smackdown ratings are highly correlated with Raw ratings, so let's try to spike people's interest in raw
3. People don't want to come to the monthly brand-split ppvs, so we cut down on those
4. People still don't wanna come to the brand split ppvs even with 2 months between them (and it's probably hurting our tv because we can't write)
5. End brand split ppvs

I'm sure you could figure out ways to make this work out well. Big blow off shows on the go home for angles that won't make the ppv; raw and sd stars interacting in the back once a month to tease future angles or switches

People didn't wanna come to the monthly brand-split PPVs because Brock barely loving showed up to the Raw ones and Jinder was champion on the SmackDown ones.

Also, most of them sucked! It's kind of been forgotten by this point but SmackDown had a string of truly loving awful PPVs this year. Backlash, MitB, Battleground were all just truly vile PPVs. Hell in a Cell and Clash of Champions were only marginally better and were mostly carried by tag team matches. Elimination Chamber was okay. On the other side of the coin, Fastlane loving sucked. No Mercy was a huge letdown. Payback and Extreme Rules were firmly in "just a show" territory. Great Balls of Fire was good and TLC was really good. That's it.

Out of the 12 single-brand PPVs from 2017, two were good-to-really-good. Three were decently watchable but mostly one match shows. Seven of them loving sucked. If more than half of the PPVs loving suck because of the booking and agenting of the matches, I don't think you can blame low attendance on the brand split.

Hooray, let's dilute the poo poo out of our PPV main event right before the PPV! They did this exact same poo poo for Extreme Rules and Money in the Bank.

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST

VJeff posted:

It said Billy Gunn was gay. Road Dogg is most likely a homophobe.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

VJeff posted:

It was a tweet from like 2011 saying 'Billy Gunn is gay'

Shayna Baszler
Oct 24, 2001

i'll always take care of you
Muldoon
i would watch a Smackdown booked by Billy Gunn where everyone is obsessed with asses and constantly talking about asses and showing off their own rear end and talking about their own rear end and other people's asses

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Baron Corbin posted:

i would watch a Smackdown booked by Billy Gunn where everyone is obsessed with asses and constantly talking about asses and showing off their own rear end and talking about their own rear end and other people's asses

that's basically just 1999 WWF

Shayna Baszler
Oct 24, 2001

i'll always take care of you
Muldoon

Feels Villeneuve posted:

that's basically just 1999 WWF

yeah and that's when the product was the best its ever been

WrasslorMonkey
Mar 5, 2012

SamuraiFoochs posted:

Christ this is awful.

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money
So WWE'S constant reinforcement of "working here is a privilege and an honor, and you owe us for the opportunity" ensures there's never ever going to be any labor improvements in the company right

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Baron Corbin posted:

Naomi is the WWE Champion.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Baron Corbin posted:

FinnBalorjiggle.gif

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!

Baron Corbin posted:

Even in this parallel rear end Universe, Bayley’s still on the wrong show to get a push :saddowns:

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

fart blood posted:

In the end, though, even if the brand split gave Nak (and AJ, and others) the chance to become WWE champion, it was always a facade really. Nak as WWE champion -- or AJ as WWE champion -- would never, ever main event a PPV that has Universal Champion Roman Reigns on it. in management's eyes, they're paper champions.

Granted, WWE Champion CM Punk rarely main evented a show that non-champion Cena had a match on, but it's doubly guaranteed now.

that's fine, I got to watch a TV show every week where they're given time and are important. I mean Smackdown sucked since Road Dogg took over for Ryan Ward and they decided Jinder Mahal should be champ because he's the same color as a large population of India even if they know he's Canadian but the point is there. I really don't want two versions of The Roman Reigns Show, one is fine

Big Coffin Hunter fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Feb 17, 2018

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Looking forward to all the booking opportunities afforded by the Raw men's, Raw women's, Smackdown men's, and Smackdown women's Money In The Bank briefcases later this year! :getin:

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

STAC Goat posted:

This whole "list Elias with all the unused talents" thing is just one of those "Yeah, sure, Ryback is totally a star", "Fandango's hugely over" things that will pass, right?

Idk Ryback and Fandango both have done some very entertaining stuff even if one of them was dumb as gently caress. Wrestling is rarely about technical ability these days.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
So just because I'm feeling salty, the following people probably would get focus and shine in a brand split with exclusive shows who no longer will.

Could be main event level, won't be

Ambrose
Sami
KO
Nakamura
Finn
Miz (also fits next category)

Midcard guys who could be future main event guys in a brand split, won't be

Bray
Elias
Corbin

Guys who could be solid midcard guys, now nothing

Jinder
Dolph
Roode
Tye

Tag Teams Who Are Good or at least could be, Will Almost Surely Be Nothing

The Club
The Bar
Shelton and Gable
Bludgeon Brothers
Titus Worldwide, especially if you went Crews/Tozawa
Breezango

NXT Call-ups who could be real successes in a brand split, will now be nothing

Aleister
Velveteen Dream
Sanity
AOP
Undisputed Era
Andrade
Johnny Gargano
Ricochet
Nikki Cross
Ember Moon
Drew

Unless my math is off, that's 40 people. And that doesn't count cruisers or main roster women, AND I'm likely forgetting some.

Even if you insist on cutting off a fourth of that, it's still 30. That's insane.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Aphrodite posted:

It was a tweet from like 2011 saying 'Billy Gunn is gay'

I mean, this is only stating fact. Just ask Chuck Palumbo.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

reignofevil posted:

Idk Ryback and Fandango both have done some very entertaining stuff even if one of them was dumb as gently caress. Wrestling is rarely about technical ability these days.

Oh, I get that. I don't care about like Miz being listed as a talent that could get screwed by this.

I'm just an Elias hater, don't get what everyone sees in him, and it feels very much like one of those "hot for a moment" things that happen with WWE a lot. People hook into a gimmick and ride it for awhile until it tops out.

At least that's my take. But I'm a hater.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Feb 17, 2018

John Dudebro
Dec 3, 2013

SamuraiFoochs posted:

So just because I'm feeling salty, the following people probably would get focus and shine in a brand split with exclusive shows who no longer will.

Could be main event level, won't be

Ambrose
Sami
KO
Nakamura
Finn
Miz (also fits next category)

Midcard guys who could be future main event guys in a brand split, won't be

Bray
Elias
Corbin

Guys who could be solid midcard guys, now nothing

Jinder
Dolph
Roode
Tye

Tag Teams Who Are Good or at least could be, Will Almost Surely Be Nothing

The Club
The Bar
Shelton and Gable
Bludgeon Brothers
Titus Worldwide, especially if you went Crews/Tozawa
Breezango

NXT Call-ups who could be real successes in a brand split, will now be nothing

Aleister
Velveteen Dream
Sanity
AOP
Undisputed Era
Andrade
Johnny Gargano
Ricochet
Nikki Cross
Ember Moon
Drew

Unless my math is off, that's 40 people. And that doesn't count cruisers or main roster women, AND I'm likely forgetting some.

Even if you insist on cutting off a fourth of that, it's still 30. That's insane.

OK I know wwe is bad and all but this is some INSANELY specific getting mad about things that haven't happened yet

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism

Low Desert Punk posted:

Why even have a loving brand split then

They dont really want one. They had to do it to be able to get Smackdown on USA.

I dont want a brand split because I want to watch one show to follow WWE.

"Blah blah blah you want a bunch of people to lose their jobs"--save it please.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

John Dudebro posted:

OK I know wwe is bad and all but this is some INSANELY specific getting mad about things that haven't happened yet

yeah but if you watch wwe long enough and remember the point between brand splits it makes sense

• Locked thread