Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

Caros posted:

It really does.

I have a feeling that the main game is going to have some bitching melee options, but just the option to use your guns more often makes the game considerably more fun.

Oh absolutely. I went ahead to look and see if you can find this via tutorial and yes there is a tutorial for customizing option parts.

It's just waaaaaay at the bottom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oriental Hugs
Jun 15, 2001

Nothin' about hugs, though
Aw man Im having trouble finding games on pc. I bought the pc version from GMG for 30 dollars but I can still cancel in time. Are there any good ps4 deals for SUrVIVE?

Quicksilver6
Mar 21, 2008

Scalding Coffee posted:

What is the point of having a suppressor when you can run past them?

Extra points for stealth kills, also cool pew pew noises

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003

Oriental Hugs posted:

Aw man Im having trouble finding games on pc. I bought the pc version from GMG for 30 dollars but I can still cancel in time. Are there any good ps4 deals for SUrVIVE?

If you are american and interested I could give you the equivalent in Steam Wallet cards. I'm looking a code because the game is twice as expensive in my region for no reason.

someone pls help me buy this game ;w;

Caros
May 14, 2008

Quicksilver6 posted:

Extra points for stealth kills, also cool pew pew noises

I suspect there are going to be actual stealth missions in the main game as well.

phourniner
Feb 19, 2007

When you're in a town like this all covered with smoke, you forget that there's a world outside. Nothing amazing happens here. And you get used to that, used to a world where everything is ordinary. Every day we spend here is like a whole lifetime of dying slowly.

Kinda iffy on this game still. I remember them saying when it was announced that that was going to be a co-op focused game, as in you can co-op the entire game which would include the campaign, but that doesn't seem to be the case?

If the co-op is just mission based, then it's a hard pass. :/ I just want to play MGS with a buddy. :(

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
Man today's hard mission is awesome. Every enemy coming from just a couple lanes really lends itself well to shenanigans.

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012
Another tip is that defenses get destroyed after each wave only when they are in the red circle around the drill, and the size of the circle depends on how much iris energy you drilled. With smart placement you can accumulate a gently caress ton of turrets and other traps all over. Actually melee is much more viable when you just put wire fences everywhere.

The game's alright in coop but the beta is really just a glorified demo with very limited content. The only long term appeal I've seen so far is just farming upgrades, which I can do without. I want to see more mission types and such.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
The demo sold me on it.

Scalding Coffee fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Feb 19, 2018

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
https://www.konami.com/mg/survive/products
Pre-order stuff. No Metal Gear helmet.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003

The Rex helmet is for playing the beta. The Ray helmet is for having played MGS V.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

God I hope we can get an eyepatch outside of playing TPP.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
They better have hair that works with Kabuki.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

Friendly reminder: games now release at 9PM PST on PS4 for some loving raisin.

Metal Gear Survive is now released.

... I'll get to it eventually maybe.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Weird that steam says the 21st, but everywhere else is saying the 20th. I am annoyed.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
The co-op missions are quite a bit more difficult, but also I was playing with idiots. Don't know if there's a way to try them solo but I only just unlocked them anyway.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Haven't gotten a chance to start this yet but for those that have, how's the single player mode so far? Also, do any familiar faces show up eventually or is it all just leftover MSF soldiers?

Buccaneer
Jun 24, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
About to play some Metal Gear Survive

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Buccaneer
Jun 24, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
This game is getting owned on metacritic by people posting copy pasta as the review, saying it isnt worth 60$ etc

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

Well of course people are mad. They got scammed into paying 1.5x the actual retail/digital price. :v:

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Buccaneer posted:

This game is getting owned on metacritic by people posting copy pasta as the review, saying it isnt worth 60$ etc
At least Survive has the attention of CNN now.:30bux::30bux:

PBnJamo
Feb 11, 2014
Just want to say I bought after watching a stream for a good while. Survive is a good title since it is pretty much just a survival game. I really get the same vibes playing that I got playing something like State of Decay or some other open world zombie game you see fairly commonly on steam. That loop of leaving base, scavenging, returning, and crafting is constant. It's also required for coop play as resources you use for the coop digging missions is the same stuff you make in single player. While you can scavenge quite a bit of stuff in online play, you still need food and water.

As you probably saw, hunger and thirst govern max health and stamina respectively which influences combat mostly. Given the consistency between the modes, I'd say how much you like the game hinges on how much you like scavenging in the Dust as you spend most of your time in it. The Dust requires use of a limited o2 tank (which can be filled with energy a limited number of times, but lowers durability) and restricts visibility. It even makes the map not update your position. This requires you to use the compass as well as landmarks like roads and lights to guide you. This leads you to safe zones for more hunting and water, chests that hold resouces and crafting plans, other survivors, but most importantly memory discs that contain major base plans (upgraded crafting tables for example) which also further the main plot.

My time spent was either hunting down new memory while exploring new locales or hunting for food. I literally just went online once to try coop which gives broken randomized equipment which you need resources found in single player to fix and use. It also gives a lot of exp if you want to level up fast. Areas all seem to be from Afghanistan tileset with some pieces of motherbase. Melee combat is diificult as well. It's very easy to die and lose progress as the game only saves when you get back to base. You get 5 revives, I assume more are microtransactions. There are more than just zombies.

Tl; dr If you enjoy open world survival games, you will probably like this.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

When I saw the start of the first image, I got all hopeful that the game had implemented curling.

Way to let me down, MG:S

Vlaada Chvatil
Sep 23, 2014

Bunny bunny moose moose
College Slice
Single player is kind of lame so far. I've gotten as far as unlocking fast travel, a couple hours in. It's like playing Phantom Pain, except instead of cool, strong daddy Snake you play as an asthmatic pensioner. I've spent the whole game so far with an empty stamina bar, and dying from tapeworms because I haven't unlocked the ability to boil water.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
why on earth would anyone play this over, say, subnautica?

Buccaneer
Jun 24, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Vlaada Chvatil posted:

Single player is kind of lame so far. I've gotten as far as unlocking fast travel, a couple hours in. It's like playing Phantom Pain, except instead of cool, strong daddy Snake you play as an asthmatic pensioner. I've spent the whole game so far with an empty stamina bar, and dying from tapeworms because I haven't unlocked the ability to boil water.

Turn your monitor on!! Lol

Buccaneer
Jun 24, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Willie Tomg posted:

Subnautica isnt a Metal Gear game

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Buccaneer posted:

Subnautica isnt a Metal Gear game

Neither is this :troll:

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Willie Tomg posted:

Sounds like random words strewn together to flip cards kind of game.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
i'm sorry, i should clarify. is there a positive reason to play this over another entry in the genre? subnautica is kind of my jam right now for that lonely-survival-in-a-hostile-clime feeling, but this game could be better, i don't know which is why i'm asking!

Buccaneer
Jun 24, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-l8Ckq0vYMg

Buccaneer
Jun 24, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Willie Tomg posted:

i'm sorry, i should clarify. is there a positive reason to play this over another entry in the genre? subnautica is kind of my jam right now for that lonely-survival-in-a-hostile-clime feeling, but this game could be better, i don't know which is why i'm asking!

Its fun and I cant wait to get home from school so I can play it some more

Agent Escalus
Oct 5, 2002

"I couldn't stop saying aloud how miscast Jim Carrey was!"
Meanwhile Konami laughs all the way to the bank twice over. One, a copy was sold; two, now it can't be traded in and re-sold so they won't lose out on that revenue either!

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
"fun" isn't helpful. everyone likes fun. this guy is having fun:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6lutNECOZFw&t=15s

but what he likes is "old trains going down a track"

what do people like about Metal Gear: Survive?

why is everyone being so evasive about a thing they're having fun with?

StabMasterArson
May 31, 2011

Willie Tomg posted:

why is everyone being so evasive about a thing they're having fun with?

probably because whenever someone mentions they like this game theres 5 others completely baffled that someone likes a thing they don't like

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
That's a weird phobia to have in a discussion forum. People should feel free to discuss things they like/are enthusiastic for, and the reasons for that enthusiasm, beyond merely signaling brand engagement behind a screen name on a paywalled forum.

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

phourniner posted:

If the co-op is just mission based, then it's a hard pass. :/ I just want to play MGS with a buddy. :(

Real gamers have no friends

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Willie Tomg posted:

I have a feeling that you really wanted to say undertale

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

ditty bout my clitty posted:

I have a feeling that you really wanted to say undertale

That's not really a resource-gathering/survival game, so it'd be a weird comparison. I also don't like Undertale. Since you brought it up though: I don't like bullet hells or the culture of fandom, and my parents were death on video games in general during the 8-bit RPG heyday that undertale is supposedly lionizing, so that game bounced right off of me because I don't have any nostalgia for that stuff. Other people came at it from other experiences, and liked it better. Good for them.

See, I didn't just say "game SUCKS" I gave reasons for why I personally didn't like it and why other folk might've liked it much more than me. I'm asking people to do that, but for Metal Gear: Survive instead. So far we're up to "its fun [for me personally]" which is a starting point but I'd like to hear more.

• Locked thread