Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Adder Moray
Nov 18, 2010

poptart_fairy posted:

Erik didn't have anyone interfere on his behalf. :colbert:

Nowhere in the rules does it say that's not allowed. In fact, it's very obviously allowed and expected, only prevented by you bringing your own crew (see first fight with M'Baku's people and the Dora Milaje surrounding them in case the other group jumped in).

It's yield or death because:

1. If you can't kill a threat to the throne, you're not fit to be king.

2. If you can't submit to your king, you're too dangerous to be a subject.

Erik proved the former and T'Challa the latter.

Adder Moray fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Feb 17, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit
I'm disappointed that Man-Ape didn't show up in a gorilla-like power armor.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

I liked it, not as quipy as the last few marvel movies but still fun, and the action was cool too. Closer in tone to winter soldier, and I didn't feel like it got much more preachy or political than that one, either.

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit
The plot unfolded pretty much as I expected from looking at the trailers. I knew that T'Challa would be challenged for the throne by a long-lost relative, because that's the sort of lazy plot you have when the hero is the heir to great wealth and power. We saw this with Thor and Iron Man. I knew this would be the case here as soon as I heard Michael B. Jordan's American accent in the trailers, and the Golden Panther suit. I knew there would be a scene in a museum where Klaue steals a Wakandan artifact. I knew one of the character would remark on the primitive tech of the outside world. The only surprise was the death of Klaue. It's a loving crime that they killed him off, Andy Serkis stole every scene he was in. Serkis would make a great Joker.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Kurzon posted:

The plot unfolded pretty much as I expected from looking at the trailers. I knew that T'Challa would be challenged for the throne by a long-lost relative, because that's the sort of lazy plot you have when the hero is the heir to great wealth and power. We saw this with Thor and Iron Man. I knew this would be the case here as soon as I heard Michael B. Jordan's American accent in the trailers, and the Golden Panther suit. I knew there would be a scene in a museum where Klaue steals a Wakandan artifact. I knew one of the character would remark on the primitive tech of the outside world. The only surprise was the death of Klaue. It's a loving crime that they killed him off, Andy Serkis stole every scene he was in. Serkis would make a great Joker.

Well done for predicting the plot of a film.

Movie was really great. Marvel's been on a role with films that actually have something to say and say well.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

Steve2911 posted:

Well done for predicting the plot of a film.

Movie was really great. Marvel's been on a role with films that actually have something to say and say well.

He is full of poo poo because nobody predicted T’Chaka’s baby brother being OG organizing a vibranium aided Community Revolution In Progress in American ghettos and ultimately being vindicated.

gohmak fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Feb 17, 2018

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Lmao, you are so smart. Able to figure out the plots of super hero movies.

Where the trailers and promos had scenes of Killmonger literally saying "I'm coming for the throne"

The high level thinking of being able to put together that Killmonger was a royal family member in someway since you know the heart shaped herb requires a member to have royal blood and Killmonger is shown in the BP suit.

I applaud your genius of figuring out the general plot of a movie after like 3 trailers and tons of promos.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

CelticPredator posted:

Guardians Vol 2 worked the best for me but apparently no one else here so I don’t now.

I actually really like Guardians 2 also.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Guardians 2 is the best MCU film.

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007

Shanty posted:

White weighs in.

No surprises here. He burns the Democrats and praises Snyder, After Earth and Chronicles of Riddick of all things. It rules.

Well, it’s better that Breitbart’s review, I guess.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Steve2911 posted:

Guardians 2 is the best MCU film.

If you live on a planet where crack grows on trees, sure.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Guardians 2 played a lot better the second time I saw it, when my expectations were a little more reasonable. It's quite good, but it's not the best MCU film. I think the first GOTG, Winter Soldier, and original Iron Man still kind of top the list in a kind of revolving order. But I'm seeing Black Panther tonight, so that might change for me.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

that first scene in Oakland tells the story of the film, that the battle to keep traditions the same creates untold tragedy. T'Chaka has to kill his brother in the name of keeping Wakanda hidden. Killmonger has to grow up without his dad in a world where he knows the two truths: that black people all over the world suffer due to Wakanda staying hidden, and that Wakanda is the embodiment of black empowerment and innovation. Killmonger and T'Challa are opposed when in reality they could have been allies had T'Chaka taken pity on him and brought back his nephew to be raised like the prince he was supposed to be

the fragility of tradition is explored as well, seeing as how quickly Wakanda turns itself over to Killmonger and how quickly it becomes a civil war once the tension between the age old conundrum explodes outward

I need to watch this again real soon

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Timby posted:

If you live on a planet where crack grows on trees, sure.

It’s the best.

CityMidnightJunky
May 11, 2013

by Smythe

Snowman_McK posted:

And what one can take from that is that black people, even those who've suffered horribly, shouldn't lose their temper and be angry.

The guy was a terrorist. He says himself that he didn't care how many people he killed, or who they were, as long as he got Wakanda. They stole his birthright, killed his father, and abandoned him. His motivations were much more personal than he let on, as were his goals, which is why he took it too far. For all of his talk of black oppression, which he believed because it was true, He really just wanted personal revenge.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

One of my favorite parts was the apartment ancestor scene.
"What, you don't have any tears for me?"
"Nah, people die all the time. It's normal around here."
Then it cuts to the brother crying and suddenly killmonger's grown up again and crying was good.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
I've seen all the Marvel movies, but if I mention it to my dad and/or sister who haven't that I plan on seeing it, I'll probably get roped into taking them along.

How will this play for someone who hasn't seen Civil War?

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Apart from a couple of side jokes it stands perfectly by itself.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Dr Christmas posted:

I've seen all the Marvel movies, but if I mention it to my dad and/or sister who haven't that I plan on seeing it, I'll probably get roped into taking them along.

How will this play for someone who hasn't seen Civil War?

It has flashbacks to the bits in Civil War that matter to the story. The very final end stinger won't mean anything to them, but that's it.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I guess Tim from the Office's role makes more sense with prior knowledge but even that's dirt simple to grasp.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Then it cuts to the brother crying and suddenly killmonger's grown up again and crying was good.

All the ancestor scenes were fantastic. This movie is definitely one of Marvel’s best-looking.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Pigbuster posted:

All the ancestor scenes were fantastic. This movie is definitely one of Marvel’s best-looking.

It's also probably the least brightly coloured Marvel film. Even the South Korea scenes weren't that brightly lit.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Steve2911 posted:

It's also probably the least brightly coloured Marvel film. Even the South Korea scenes weren't that brightly lit.

I wouldn’t be surprised if that wasn’t done on purpose to make Wakanda really shine; I don’t think we ever see the city at night.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Yeah, drat. Again, stuff like that makes me wish they'd reined in Killmonger's needless cruelty more. Have the antagonist truly make the hero rethink his life in the way that Iron Man 2 chickened out of. It kinda happened here, with T'Challa realizing Wakanda's isolationism must change, but I would've loved something like Killmonger and Panther beating the hell out of each other while crying for having to.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

So black panther is most definitely the best mcu movie to date. It helps that coogler has an editor who isn't afraid of tension or takes longer than 4 seconds. Killmonger being the embodiment of what Trump voters think Blm is was really annoying. And not even doing the king thing and forcing him to live and killing him with kindness to actually show distance from the other Kings would've been nice.

The other thing that bothered me was how in every other mcu film, every bad guy is a coded outsider and everyone is a hyper Nazi. In this, it was a straight civil war where those who eventually surrendered only did so because they would've died other wise, not from any sort of enlightenment other than that black on black crime is bad. The false dichotomy presented between white genocide or full on publicity of wakanda didn't play well, when they show a potential answer at the end that doesn't involve flashing the cash to the world.

Killmonger's final lines really irked me.

bushisms.txt fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Feb 17, 2018

Adder Moray
Nov 18, 2010
Guys. Guys.

Erik Killmonger is good motivations weilded by someone who only knows how to get his way through emulating US foreign policy.

The film is not at all subtle about this. Ross literally tells us, the audience, that that's what he's doing.

They took a broken kid and taught him how to be really good at killing people and toppling nations. So that's how he goes about getting his revenge. If he had instead been taught more diplomatic strategies, Erik would have been a different man. And still would have probably taken Wakanda.

Adder Moray fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Feb 17, 2018

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

It's a film that shitheads could deliberately get the wrong message from if they did some logical backflips, but that's most films.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

That he's not nuanced at all is the problem. If he was nuanced, those box office record breaking ticket sales get militarized.

Lupita needs to be Poison Ivy. She was killing it in the green, made me feel bad objectifying her every time she was on screen. That outfit she had in Korea, phew.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Moreso than a lot of other villains, they really do a good job of establishing how Killmonger is a product of his environment, upbringing, and circumstances. The "Everybody dies. That's just what life is like here." line really sold that for me.

I like how it's hinted that a lot of the Wakandan spies in other countries refused to carry out their orders, but the ones in London, Hong Kong, and...what was the third one? Was it New York?...were like "Oh yeah, sure, let's nuke these mofos. Finally!"

Adder Moray
Nov 18, 2010

bushisms.txt posted:

That he's not nuanced at all is the problem. If he was nuanced, those box office record breaking ticket sales get militarized.

He is nuanced in ends, but not in means. That's the point I was making. What he wanted was either straight up a good thing (notice when he's in the throne room, in the same scene he talks about murdering oppressors and their children, he doesn't talk about just arming black folks but the oppressed in general. Folks seem to be missing that) or understandable given his circumstances (revenge on T'Challa for what T'Chaka did to his father). But the means by which he knows, or believes he knows, how to accomplish these ends are where he goes off the deep end. But the thing is, all of it comes from what he learned during his time working black ops.

He's concentrated 'when all you have is a hammer...'

Adder Moray fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Feb 17, 2018

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

He's talking about folks who "look like" him. Black folks. Him being shown to be a genocidal maniac who will talk about ancestors dropping out of slave ships left a bad taste in my mouth. He's a strawman. That SheldonK isn't even a more nuanced counter point to erik's off the deep end, compounded with giving up on him when bp could've been a king and shoved a life saving bead in his chest, really didn't send a great message. I've got a roommate who talks like MBJ, and we live down the street from Fruitvale station, should I stop debating his issues like when he brings up his issues with people going to see this over the thurgood Marshall flick, or continue reaching out and talking it out?

Notice how Loki is as burnt up over relatively nothing and he's a franchise regular. Just felt the writing let down a fantastic film.

bushisms.txt fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Feb 17, 2018

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
Did they only say the name Killmonger like two times in the movie because they were ashamed of it

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

How can they have an end credits scene about the white man who killed their father living in redemption, but not try and save their own blood?

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

bushisms.txt posted:

How can they have an end credits scene about the white man who killed their father living in redemption, but not try and save their own blood?

Which white man are you talking about?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Bucky

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Oh this is a reference to a different movie isn't it

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Yeah um Bucky didn't kill T'Chaka.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

BrianWilly posted:

Yeah um Bucky didn't kill T'Chaka.

Oh yeah, setup for that one, he only killed the starks and others. Point still stands, we have a veritable monster and he's cooling out, while they rather just give erik a dope spot to die at. Complete the circle they started with mbaka and give him his back and raise him as a wakandan.

bushisms.txt fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Feb 18, 2018

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Bucky was mind-controlled by Nazis into committing his crimes. No one ever forced Erik Stevens to do anything.

Bill Dungsroman posted:

I swear to god every time an MCU film comes out CD spirals further and further into abject lunacy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

BrianWilly posted:

Bucky was mind-controlled by Nazis into committing his crimes. No one ever forced Killmonger to do anything.

That's the thing, every one else has an out, but they tie erik to real trauma and proclaim him wrong. It only kind of works for magneto because of the sheer repercussions any perpetrator of the Holocaust faced. We have yet to see Justice, probably never will, so his response to this, on top of being orphaned by his people, is only slightly off base.

Wow they have the same name.

• Locked thread