Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

i'd play this mod

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

RabidWeasel posted:

Behold, the best thing that will ever be posted on Reddit

I'm the Baltic Tasmania.

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

well, DO snow crabs live?

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

Should have replaced the american great lakes with the african great lakes, apart from that it's 10/10.

e: okay wow gently caress me he apparently made an updated one that did just that:

Morzhovyye fucked around with this message at 07:50 on Feb 17, 2018

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

iceland go home you're drunk

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
To add context I guess this is a plan for a wacky alt history mod but I really liked the idea of using existing geographical features and moving them around rather than making a totally new map. And it handily removes a bunch of empty ocean and generally compresses the map which seems cool from a gameplay perspective.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

what's a good country to play a diplo-heavy game? I've still got a bunch of vassal-focused achievements to do, as well as the 5 allies with 100 trust one.

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince
is that Madagascar in the Gulf of Mexico?

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

double nine posted:

what's a good country to play a diplo-heavy game? I've still got a bunch of vassal-focused achievements to do, as well as the 5 allies with 100 trust one.

Go full WC crazy Austria? By 1550 you can already have privileges revoked and most of europe vassalized.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Xinder posted:

is that Madagascar in the Gulf of Mexico?
I think its Taiwan; I think Madagascar is in the Med between Crete and Cyprus.

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

I think its Taiwan; I think Madagascar is in the Med between Crete and Cyprus.

Oh yeah, I think you're right.

I'm digging Sri Lanka being in the "Black Sea"

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

it's october 1445 as austria and, having never been in a war yet, i got the Families Left Behind event what the heck

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Rynoto posted:

Go full WC crazy Austria? By 1550 you can already have privileges revoked and most of europe vassalized.

yeah, austria's the obvious one, and I'll probably go with them, but I was wondering if there were other countries tailored for a diplo-heavy game.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

oddium posted:

it's october 1445 as austria and, having never been in a war yet, i got the Families Left Behind event what the heck

I think it just requires low % manpower which Austria has for no reason at the start since the last nerf.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

you deffo need to have been in a war up to 3 years ago

# The Families Left Behind
country_event = {
id = aow_events.15
title = "aow_events.15.t"
desc = "aow_events.15.d"
picture = FARMING_eventPicture

trigger = {
NOT = { manpower_percentage = 0.1 }
had_recent_war = 3
is_at_war = no
NOT = { has_country_modifier = post_war_tax_relief }
NOT = { has_country_modifier = decreased_drafting }
NOT = { has_country_modifier = suffering_bereaved }
}

oddium fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Feb 17, 2018

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

Fister Roboto posted:

Yeah no, this is just wrong. What it actually means is that a full engagement width of heavies is only 1/3 as effective as it used to be. 8 heavies vs. 25 galleys is about evenly matched, and in an inland sea the galleys will pretty much always win.

And yeah, spend less on transports.

Galleys still get picked off individually quicker than heavies, which means the fighting power of their fleet tanks much faster in comparison + they lose morale much more quickly though doesn't it?

Cost effectively they're probably still better but personally I still run heavy fleets outside inland seas and I've never had any trouble with naval combat.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

oddium posted:

you deffo need to have been in a war up to 3 years ago

# The Families Left Behind
country_event = {
id = aow_events.15
title = "aow_events.15.t"
desc = "aow_events.15.d"
picture = FARMING_eventPicture

trigger = {
NOT = { manpower_percentage = 0.1 }
had_recent_war = 3
is_at_war = no
NOT = { has_country_modifier = post_war_tax_relief }
NOT = { has_country_modifier = decreased_drafting }
NOT = { has_country_modifier = suffering_bereaved }
}

I believe Austria participated in the crusade that ended right before the game starts.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

actually i'm pretty sure it's because i set the date to 1820 to get venice in the hre before going back to 1444.

austria remembers the scars of future war..........

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Huh a mod caused something screwy? Why I never...

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Senor Dog posted:

Huh a mod caused something screwy? Why I never...

No mod involved

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
It's not a mod, it's an unintended feature that has further unintended behaviour!

Michael Bayleaf
Jun 4, 2006

Tortured By Flan
is it just me or is this game worse in most ways than it was, say, 1 year ago? I took a long break and now that I'm back the AI is loving awful, sending groups of 8k to be stack wiped, forever. They used to at least keep armies that would be around the supply limit. Boats are just as bad, with England refusing to gather its superior navy together to fight my French fleet. I landed my whole army in England, saw that they had no troops at all there, and left in disgust (though that's an old school issue). Then England kills off its whole fleet to pay off dept.

Also the reformation is so much worse than what it once was and in some games might as well not exist, and in the others it will just convert one blob. It's 1586 and maybe 5 nations are protestant including Naples for some reason, 0 provinces are reformed, and there are no centers left. I bet Austria is pretty dull to play now

At least AI Brandenburg seems to have a chance of living these days

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Other than Reformed being bugged at the moment, I'm fairly certain all of those things are the same as they've always been :shrug:

Michael Bayleaf
Jun 4, 2006

Tortured By Flan

AnoHito posted:

Other than Reformed being bugged at the moment, I'm fairly certain all of those things are the same as they've always been :shrug:

If it was always this bad, I don't remember it. At this moment in my paused game, against Russia, I see one good stack of 19 troops, which is a little less than the average supply in Finland. Otherwise I see a stack of 10, 9, two of 8, and one of 7. I've been picking them off with my one army of 24 that I'm loaning to Sweden. And I know the AI used to be much better at keeping your navies locked away in a port

Also nations used to convert themselves so at least the religions could spread out a bit

edit a month after posting this the stack of 19 troops was split up.

oh yeah the AI was at one point way less annoying with their ability to run away

Michael Bayleaf fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Feb 18, 2018

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

it is funny when the ai chains like 4 stacks of 2s/3s to relieve a siege and it keeps kicking the siege progress up when they get wiped

Nightgull
Jan 22, 2018

TOTALLY NOT A CONSERVATIVE
or a fucking nazi
Rights of Man, Common Sense, and Art of War are the three big DLCs, right? That -55% deal on the Empire Founder's Pack looks pretty good. All I have at the moment is the base game with Women of History, Conquest of Paradise, and El Dorado.

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012

Ethiopia's a really fun game, but sometimes the game just decides it hates you.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

:pwn:

Talk about an unholy alliance.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Biapas: I'm helping!

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Kibbles n Shits posted:

What's the bare minimum dogshit graphics card that will run this game acceptably?

It'll run on an integrated graphics card.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Playing as Korea, when I saw Europe I saw this

I know Castille/Spain usually ends up eating a bunch of poo poo lately but wow that AI Granada

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I'm going to make a mod that forces all rulers to have the trait that makes them care about pretty borders.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

Fister Roboto posted:

I'm going to make a mod that forces all rulers to have the trait that makes them care about pretty borders.

What does that trait actually do? Does it make the AI only take territory that will complete a state?

Big Hubris
Mar 8, 2011

Fister Roboto posted:

When this backfires, post screenshots.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

how challenging is it to win the 100 years war as england these days? I haven't played either nation, but from the outside it seems more than manageable, given that the maine event forces both participants to duke it out 1v1.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I thought it counts as an English offensive war so France gets to call in their friends

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

double nine posted:

how challenging is it to win the 100 years war as england these days? I haven't played either nation, but from the outside it seems more than manageable, given that the maine event forces both participants to duke it out 1v1.

Maine lets France call their allies defensively. It's still not too hard though, all you need is Austria and/or Castille and for France to get unlucky with allies and you can usually pull it off pretty easily.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

double nine posted:

lucky for you someone just made a video on this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HQCtLAU-1UA

basically in involves restarting for good allies and then savescumming the war

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

double nine posted:

It's a little challenging but not too hard as long as France doesn't get any powerful allies, you're good at exploiting AI stupidity, and you're willing to take out several loans to fund a merc army.. I did it like nine months to a year back and I don't think it'd be much different these days. The key was figuring out that you can bait and out-maneuver the French armies by ferrying troops between Normandy and Gascony, giving you opportunities to outnumber the French in most battles despite them having the bigger army. Eventually, after enough French army wipes, you should be able to siege down Paris and win the war.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

The real key is to start as Scotland, at which point England will of course be completely invincible with zero openings and PU half of Europe by 1500 :v: