Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Wait, so will Dark Souls Switch have a Funky Mode or not

Oh man, it would be so sweet to just surf across Blighttown.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

A funny thing about Bayonetta on Switch is that the game now loads too fast to do any combo practice. Which is a tradeoff I'll happily take, but it'd be nice to have an option somewhere to play with the combo list as long as you want.

Junkie Disease posted:

Only gripe with bayonettas is the levels are not fun to explore

veni veni veni posted:

Platinum doesn't really do exploration. It's really all about beating poo poo up and over the top antics.

I think the problem is that Bayonetta has hidden content that would benefit from discovery-by-exploration, but instead you just backtrack at random spots to find stuff that illogically appeared after you went past it.

Although maybe the Alfheims shouldn't be secret at all; they really force you to practice certain mechanics and principles that you might otherwise muddle through the whole game not fully grasping.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Guys I just bought Bayonetta

Now I can play it for the first time

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

The Bloop posted:

Guys I just bought Bayonetta

Now I can play it for the first time

hosed up

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
but :same:

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

Supercar Gautier posted:

A funny thing about Bayonetta on Switch is that the game now loads too fast to do any combo practice. Which is a tradeoff I'll happily take, but it'd be nice to have an option somewhere to play with the combo list as long as you want.

Bayonetta has a practice mode that you can enter during the loading screen. I've never entered it myself, but reading online people say to press back during the loading screen.

E2M2
Mar 2, 2007

Ain't No Thang.

Real hurthling! posted:

The sequel is great

Yea I believe you. Might check out some video reviews first. Hollow Knight looks closer to my jam.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Tried playing Axiom Verge with the pro controller today. I got so pissed off after 20 minutes I took the loving thing apart and did the tape fix on the D pad. Much better now, but I might eventually do it one more time and cover up the "up" conductors a little more to get it perfect.

Also Axiom Verge is ok but I get annoyed when I get to an area that won't let me backtrack (jumped down, can't jump high enough to get back, etc) until I get some item, but then I'll inevitably have to go back to the very beginning to get stuff later. There's no sort of fast travel or anything (which would be nice, if I'm honest), so it feels like early Metroids. Most of the gun upgrades don't really feel like they matter so far which kind of sucks. It's an interesting setting and take on Metroid-y games and I think I'll manage to finish it. I'm only a few hours in at this point though.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Supercar Gautier posted:

They thought of that for the Switch version.
https://twitter.com/pg_kamiya/status/964774000692903938

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

That was in the Wii U version too.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Larrymer posted:

Tried playing Axiom Verge with the pro controller today. I got so pissed off after 20 minutes I took the loving thing apart and did the tape fix on the D pad. Much better now, but I might eventually do it one more time and cover up the "up" conductors a little more to get it perfect.

Also Axiom Verge is ok but I get annoyed when I get to an area that won't let me backtrack (jumped down, can't jump high enough to get back, etc) until I get some item, but then I'll inevitably have to go back to the very beginning to get stuff later. There's no sort of fast travel or anything (which would be nice, if I'm honest), so it feels like early Metroids. Most of the gun upgrades don't really feel like they matter so far which kind of sucks. It's an interesting setting and take on Metroid-y games and I think I'll manage to finish it. I'm only a few hours in at this point though.

Don't think it's a spoiler to say you get an easier way to do your backtracking later on.

Zaa Boogie
Sep 13, 2007

"Suckle on this receptacle!"
Huh, they changed the difficulty names in Switch Bayo2 to match what they were called in Bayo1. I was wondering why I was a bit confused.

Also for your Metroidvania needs The Mummy Demastered is pretty good.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Larrymer posted:

Just use the analog stick.

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP
You'll get stone trophies for dying and missing alfheims. Probably best to get through the game once for storyline then play it again with all the powerups.

I had just been practicing in the free roam zones. Glad to know how to practice now though.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Augus posted:

Don't think it's a spoiler to say you get an easier way to do your backtracking later on.

It still sucks

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

I'm almost certain that trying to play fast games with the joycons is causing tendonitis in my right wrist. I started noticing it around when I got Puyo Puyo Tetris and was playing it all the time, so I put the switch away for a few weeks thinking it was a gym injury. I was able to lift and exercise just fine until I got Bayonetta yesterday, which seems to confirm that it's the Switch that's causing the issue.

How does the Switch Pro controller feel compared to the 360 controller? I think it's either because of the lack of handles, or because of how the face buttons are placed in relation to the analog stick, so hopefully it fixes the problem.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

I bought Bat Within as soon as it was available. To be honest, I'm probably not going to bother backtracking for loot I missed and I'm certainly not going to bother replaying stages for high score.

The main reason is I suck. The rest of it is Grace and Glory are rude and making you fight TWO of them back to back is beyond rude. It's MEAN.

When I get to the end I'll just move right on to Bayonetta 2.

E2M2
Mar 2, 2007

Ain't No Thang.

Zaa Boogie posted:

Huh, they changed the difficulty names in Switch Bayo2 to match what they were called in Bayo1. I was wondering why I was a bit confused.

Also for your Metroidvania needs The Mummy Demastered is pretty good.

Just looked up videos and that looks awesome, and right up my alley.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

E2M2 posted:

Just looked up videos and that looks awesome, and right up my alley.

its never ending plate of flying medusa heads ala castlevania stopped me cold

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
Oh btw heads-up for anyone else like me who was annoyed by video recording being blocked during certain scenes in Bayonetta -- basically it seems to just happen whenever a song with a vocal track is playing. If you turn the in-game music off, it'll let you capture video whenever you want. Still annoying but not as bad

E2M2
Mar 2, 2007

Ain't No Thang.
Forgot that Shantae was coming out soon too. At least the ultimate edition.

E2M2 fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Feb 18, 2018

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Silver Falcon posted:

I bought Bat Within as soon as it was available. To be honest, I'm probably not going to bother backtracking for loot I missed and I'm certainly not going to bother replaying stages for high score.

The main reason is I suck. The rest of it is Grace and Glory are rude and making you fight TWO of them back to back is beyond rude. It's MEAN.

Yeah Bayo 2 is probably where I'll do most of my obsessive playing. Using Bayo 1 as a practice to get down the mechanics, strategies, and story.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Lodin posted:

For fucks sake, people! A couple of pages back a bunch of you were complaining about how the Joycons were too small.
Just saw the Grip that comes with the console in two. There's nothing in there and it's built sturdy enough to take it.
I started out with a Dremel but the blade wasn't big enough so I finished it off with a carpenter saw. The duct tape is just there because. It works a treat.

people will hate you for your genius.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

Mr. Locke posted:

Holdover from the Wii U version.

Bayo won an award for accessibility to people with physical disabilities because of stuff like touch screen controls and easy automatic mode.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy

BisterdDave posted:

Oh man, it would be so sweet to just surf across Blighttown.

Put BotW shield surfing in Dark Souls.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Silver Falcon posted:

You’re going to love Gracious and Glorius

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

Coxswain Balls posted:

I'm almost certain that trying to play fast games with the joycons is causing tendonitis in my right wrist. I started noticing it around when I got Puyo Puyo Tetris and was playing it all the time, so I put the switch away for a few weeks thinking it was a gym injury. I was able to lift and exercise just fine until I got Bayonetta yesterday, which seems to confirm that it's the Switch that's causing the issue.

How does the Switch Pro controller feel compared to the 360 controller? I think it's either because of the lack of handles, or because of how the face buttons are placed in relation to the analog stick, so hopefully it fixes the problem.

GoNintendo did his Today's Big Story yesterday or thereabouts on someone who had his hand cancer diagnosed because the Joy-cons hurt to play with because of the HD Rumble. I say get it checked, he thought it was tendonitis too. I'm not saying you have ~HAND CANCER~ but you never know.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Amiibos were on sale so I bought one for the first time, a squid. It has a bonus for Splatoon 2 of course but still not sure what to do with it re: other games.

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Samurai Sanders posted:

Amiibos were on sale so I bought one for the first time, a squid. It has a bonus for Splatoon 2 of course but still not sure what to do with it re: other games.

Where was the sale? I have no amiibos but I do have a weird ghost pikachu thing on my desk that needs some amiibo friends.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Strawberry Panda posted:

Where was the sale? I have no amiibos but I do have a weird ghost pikachu thing on my desk that needs some amiibo friends.
At Yodobashi Camera in Japan.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Im real slick at the regular parts of bayonetta but im real bad at the vehicle stages and any of the fights with like flying around or weird camera angles.

I just cleared chapter 4 od the sequel with all platnums and a stone for the boss cause i just couldnt see him with a giant battle in the background.

Good stuff they went all out

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Strawberry Panda posted:

Yeah Bayo 2 is probably where I'll do most of my obsessive playing. Using Bayo 1 as a practice to get down the mechanics, strategies, and story.

this seems pretty backwards seeing how much easier bayo 2 is and how impenetrable the story in 1 is

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Kaubocks posted:

this seems pretty backwards seeing how much easier bayo 2 is and how impenetrable the story in 1 is

Hmmm never played them so I guess I'll have to make that decision after going through them both.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

The Lobster posted:

GoNintendo did his Today's Big Story yesterday or thereabouts on someone who had his hand cancer diagnosed because the Joy-cons hurt to play with because of the HD Rumble. I say get it checked, he thought it was tendonitis too. I'm not saying you have ~HAND CANCER~ but you never know.

If it was the rumble, all the time I put into Mario Odyssey would have detected any cancer earlier. I'm pretty sure it's because I sprained my wrists biking back in November, and rapidly getting at the buttons on the right joycon is aggravating it. Left one is fine, however.

Xeras
Oct 11, 2004

Only a few find the way, some don't recognize it when they do - some... don't ever want to.

Dehry posted:

Amazon did a price match on most of the Walmart deals today.

I believe the pro controller is no longer $50 on amazon.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

After 5 chapters I'd say that B2 is one of the safest sequels I've ever played to the point that it almost feels like an expansion, but hey Bayonetta is good so I'm not complaining.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Pug Rodeo posted:

I liked it so much I immediately started again after I finished it and focused on Gregg instead of Bea this time.

Oh I'm definitely doing that. I'm glad I'm doing Bea's route, but she's a stick in the mud. Though Mae's does things super differently from how I would. Still she reminds me way too much of my ex from high school.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

I want to like Night in the Woods but it made too many design mistakes. Things like automatic conversations made up for the bad pacing and unnecessary travel of Oxenfree. It’s also misrepresented as being more supernatural and mystery like than it is. It’s basically just a game about conversations with townies and friends and then sleeping. It also follows many American storylines where characters never really develop in a positive way, instead becoming worse at times. I get that people will say it resonates with their sad rust belt childhoods but it’s not a well written story.

So a little more about what I didn’t like. The game is a battery drain fiend. It also doesn’t allow you the freedom to explore like it should. There really isn’t that much going on in the game graphically or otherwise to explain why you are on such tight rails. Choices your character can make are largely superficial and there are basically two archs. Way too many loading screens.

Shammypants fucked around with this message at 11:55 on Feb 18, 2018

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

XyrlocShammypants posted:

I want to like Night in the Woods but it made too many design mistakes. Things like automatic conversations made up for the bad pacing and unnecessary travel of Oxenfree. It’s also misrepresented as being more supernatural and mystery like than it is. It’s basically just a game about conversations with townies and friends and then sleeping. It also follows many American storylines where characters never really develop in a positive way, instead becoming worse at times. I get that people will say it resonates with their sad rust belt childhoods but it’s not a well written story.

So a little more about what I didn’t like. The game is a battery drain fiend. It also doesn’t allow you the freedom to explore like it should. There really isn’t that much going on in the game graphically or otherwise to explain why you are on such tight rails. Choices your character can make are largely superficial and there are basically two archs. Way too many loading screens.

That's all very true. I do like those conversations since it reminds me in a way of my youth. It's more universal than rust-belt though, since I grew up in the never-ending suburbs of New England, and the story has resonated with me quite a bit so far. The story isn't any breaking any new boundaries but it does its coming-of-age thing well so far.

Now, I agree it's rail-roaded but I don't think that's an issue since the gameplay is very repetitive, I'd rather have less to explore in that case than a bigger town, especially since you're just going through the same motions day-by-day. It does have way too many loading screens, but I'm patient enough. They could've made a better game, but anyone who likes text-heavy games/visual novels, it's one worth playing.

I've also really enjoyed the mini-games (bass and Demontower) thus far, they're nice touches.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Takoluka posted:

Just use the analog stick.

It's more comfortable doing this playing handheld, and it's been fine for that. Still, it was nice to make the D pad a little better. I'll have to try shovel knight again because it pissed me off during that as well.

• Locked thread