Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hong kong divorce lunch
Sep 20, 2005
I remember Rainbow 6 was one of the first games I played online when we got unlimited dial-up. On the shooting house i'd stand on top and just toss down frag grenades and spawn kill everyone. What a game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I don't really understand why they can't just bundle some of these games with dgVoodoo, or at least point people in its direction? It's remarkable for how useful it is.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

I don't really understand why they can't just bundle some of these games with dgVoodoo, or at least point people in its direction? It's remarkable for how useful it is.
Apparently they signed an agreement at some point to bundle dgVoodoo with games, they just... never did anything with it.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
poo poo, even if they did something like Home of the Underdogs and had a "utilities" section with links to everything (and/or alternate download mirrors) and little guides on how to get everything working, we'd be good.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

You can kinda get that sometimes with some of the forums' sticky posts. It's sad, but since my disappointment with Interstate '76, I now check the forums before every purchase for missing features, late patches, compatibility issues... I don't mind it usually, but it can be a PITA to hunt down old patches or guides that are offsite.

GOG will sometimes include unofficial patches in published products (Master of Orion II, I think, includes a fan patch), and if you're lucky or persistent, you can raise the interest of a team member, but maybe that's not really their focus anymore, like all those extra goodies old games used to have.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

Gonkish posted:

"Want some rye? 'Course ya do!"

I can still hear it. I last played that game when I was 8. I can still hear that voice.

Thank you...

(Technical Director, The Return To Zork)

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
EDIT: Nevermind, moved this to another thread.

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Feb 23, 2018

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

What shall we do with him? A permaban, perhaps? Probate him for a few years? Or...shall we employ a big red custom title? You, the goons of SA, shall decide his fate.

VideoGameVet posted:

Thank you...

(Technical Director, The Return To Zork)

There's a theory I've had about that game for years. Whenever Morpheus turned someone to stone, he absorbed one of those person's traits. From Canuk, magic. From Rebecca Snoot, fast learning. And from the player, he intends to take strategy. So what did he take from Rufus Rooper? His charisma? No. His business prowess? No.

His voice.

And his loving GAME-OVER LAUGH THAT TERRIFIED ME AS A KID.

Rufus: "I would like to talk with you about your... strategy. Hmm-hmm-hmm-hmm-hmm..."
Player: (eyes roll into back of head, passes out)

BiggerJ fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Mar 11, 2018

Twobirds
Oct 17, 2000

The only talking mouse in all of Britannia.
I'm playing Where The Water Tastes Like Wine, which I really like, but you get out west and one of the characters you meet, Rose, is a 1960's flower child. I'm not going to complain if the game was a pastiche of different time periods, but so far it's been pretty consistent about staying in the 1920's and 1930's. This is the only bit that is wildly out of place. She talks about the Haight and following the Dead around. Was I just not seeing the differences? Some cars and stuff aren't quite right, but they weren't a major part of the story like this is.

Also, it bugs me unreasonably so that the clouds roll over the USA in the wrong direction.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
St. Patricks Day sale is up. It has lootcrates. You'll probably buy six, if past sales are any indication.

Sand Dan
May 15, 2017

welcum 2 our
sick cyberpunk h e l l
out of curiosity, does anybody put together a list of what you can get in the mystery games when there's a GOG sale? statistically speaking am I going to get copies of Jack Keane 2: The Fire Within for me and five of my friends?

Sand Dan
May 15, 2017

welcum 2 our
sick cyberpunk h e l l
oh ya just throwing this out there, but I bought KOTOR1 and 2 for a friend the other day and customer support gave me a store credit refund and I was able to rebuy at the sale price

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Sand Dan posted:

out of curiosity, does anybody put together a list of what you can get in the mystery games when there's a GOG sale? statistically speaking am I going to get copies of Jack Keane 2: The Fire Within for me and five of my friends?

They're usually tracked obsessively by folks on the GOG forums and/or the GOG subreddit.

Christ, it's hats now.

Anyway, the pool of games is from all the ones on sale: https://www.gog.com/games?price=discounted&sort=popularity&page=1

What you could do, I guess, is take that whole list, randomly pick six from it that you don't already own, and see how you feel about what comes up.

edit: apparently the pool extends beyond sale games

doctorfrog fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Mar 12, 2018

Sivek
Nov 12, 2012

I usually pick up one of these blind-boxes whenever they have one because I like to kick a small amount of money towards a viable alternative for mainstream pc gaming.

I got Strategic Command: European Theater. :flaccid:

Its not on sale so it apparently includes non-sale games as well.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
One of the greatest adventure games of all time is now on GOG.

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer
For those out the loop: http://www.somethingawful.com/photoshop-phriday/mystery-druids-art/1/.

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

Accordion Man posted:

Oh my loving god I'm on my phone and the background image loaded first before any of the text and it was a perfect combination of horror and hilarity for a brief moment there.

e: Alternatively, a bad case of the abyss staring back (literally)

Veib fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Mar 12, 2018

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

It comes with a wallpaper, because of course it does.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

doctorfrog posted:

It comes with a wallpaper, because of course it does.

I wanna bet a non-negligible part of its buyers will get it for the wallpaper and never play the game.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Accordion Man posted:

Judging by the first screenshot, GoG knows exactly how big a turd that game is.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

I remember I had massive trouble getting the steam version to work properly and eventually gave up so I'm not sure I'd want to buy it even for 'irony'

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Sivek posted:

I usually pick up one of these blind-boxes whenever they have one because I like to kick a small amount of money towards a viable alternative for mainstream pc gaming.
That's one way to justify it. The other way is that you're telling them that Literal Lootboxes work and that they'll never get any blowback over it.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

The Kins posted:

That's one way to justify it. The other way is that you're telling them that Literal Lootboxes work and that they'll never get any blowback over it.

I'd honestly say they're not as bad as lootboxes, it's just openly-admitted gambling.

They aren't required to progress anything, and what you get out of them is almost certainly going to be 3-4 times the value of what you paid in. The prize pool (assuming most/all of GoG's catalogue) is generally decent enough to be well in the player's favour of getting something either good or interesting enough to try for $3. The reaction it's laid out to trigger in the player also isn't one of "BIG WINNER FLASHY PRIZE SCREEN, PLAY AGAIN!!"; It just casually flips the token icon to show the prize for a reasonable "huh, neat for $3". It's also part of a much larger sale, with quite decent discounts, so the overall surrounding tone is one of "toss a few coins, see what you get :shrug:", rather than "ROLL YOUR BONES, BIG TITLES TO BE WON!!"

The point of lootboxes is to force player to chase the high of that One Big Win to the detriment of everything else. Common rewards are to be ignored, real money is to be slammed in repeatedly in the hopes of getting The Big Prize and the rush of that "BIG WINNER FLASHY PRIZE SCREEN!!"

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 10:10 on Mar 13, 2018

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

The Kins posted:

I've yet to understand what all the fuss with lootboxes is about; maybe I'm not playing the type of games that are relevant, or the term is used loosely to describe a bunch of pay-to-qqqq stuff that I don't care about.

I do actively hate the trend of offering bundles with hidden items and allowing customers to buy a "box" to discover what game it "contained" afterwards -- are refunds even applicable for that?.
Is this what marketing has decided that works with gamers with huge backlogs of great games in their libraries? The "surprise! it's something else you probably won't play any time soon but also probably didn't want in the first place any time ever"?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

AbstractNapper posted:

I've yet to understand what all the fuss with lootboxes is about; maybe I'm not playing the type of games that are relevant, or the term is used loosely to describe a bunch of pay-to-qqqq stuff that I don't care about.

The problem with lootboxes in games like Battlefield 2 and Overwatch is that they instill the same dopamine reaction slot machines do; Slam your coins in, chase the high of seeing the big lights and hope of the big prize at low odds. While you might not care, and may never get beyond "oh well, one won't hurt", that's because you're not the real target; It's the gambling addicts. The ones that will just sit at the Lootbox screen and cram their savings into that slot machine to hope Big Prizes come tumbling out.

What also makes it worse is because of the general demographic for Overwatch, Battlefield 2, etc, it's actively targeted at children. So you, know, unhealthy predatory tactics and all to get Wee Timmy hooked on gambling.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I'd honestly say they're not as bad as lootboxes
There's no public list of what can be attained and no public listing of your chances of getting any particular item from an opening, so it's both worse and against proposed regulations of such things in many countries.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

The Kins posted:

There's no public list of what can be attained and no public listing of your chances of getting any particular item from an opening, so it's both worse and against proposed regulations of such things in many countries.

Except the goal isn't "SHOOT FOR YOUR CHANCE* TO WIN THESE SPECIFIC $20-40+ GAMES", it's "you're gonna get a game at random; toss some coins in, see what happens :shrug:". It's not trying to lead people into the belief they could make off with some major title for all of $3 if they just keep trying, it's a lucky dip. Something to toss in with the rest of your order for a couple of bucks.

If they opened with a list of "YOU COULD WIN THESE SPECIFIC $40 GAMES IF YOU'RE LUCKY", then you'd have something. As-is, it is nowhere near as malicious as you seem to think.

1:1000 odds

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Neddy Seagoon posted:

It's not trying to lead people into the belief they could make off with some major title for all of $3 if they just keep trying
It's exactly what they're doing. Oops, you spent three bucks on an absolute pile that you'll never want to look at, let alone play! What a shame. Maybe if you keep putting in three bucks, you'll exhaust all the piles and get something you actually want, and maybe you'll only spend twice the sale price getting it!

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

The Kins posted:

It's exactly what they're doing. Oops, you spent three bucks on an absolute pile that you'll never want to look at, let alone play! What a shame.

To be honest, that sums up a lot of my non blind steam/GOG purchases.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

The Kins posted:

It's exactly what they're doing. Oops, you spent three bucks on an absolute pile that you'll never want to look at, let alone play! What a shame. Maybe if you keep putting in three bucks, you'll exhaust all the piles and get something you actually want, and maybe you'll only spend twice the sale price getting it!

That only works if you show, specifically, what kind of prizes can be won. This is how you get the addicts on the hook because "I GOTTA GET THIS ONE THING, I CAN TOTALLY DO IT WITH ENOUGH TRIES! :rolldice:". As-is, all that happens is you will get A Game. There is no encouragement, subtle or otherwise, to get more because all you will still get is A Game. There is no Legendary Tier Golden Box to chase, all there is is A Game, whether odds are evenly weighted across the entire library or not. Hell, a bad game works to break that reward loop anyway, because it's gonna sour your encouragement to try again while it sits in your library forevermore.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Neddy Seagoon posted:

That only works if you show, specifically, what kind of prizes can be won.
The sale surrounding it provides enough advertising to raise hope. "Ooh, maybe I'll get Pyre! Crap, I got Daikatana. Lemme try again. Crap, I got Mystery of the Druids. This time for sure..."

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

The Kins posted:

The sale surrounding it provides enough advertising to raise hope. "Ooh, maybe I'll get Pyre! Crap, I got Daikatana. Lemme try again. Crap, I got Mystery of the Druids. This time for sure..."

If they're that determined to roll multiple times just to get a $15AUD game, why not just drop the $15 on the game itself?

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Neddy Seagoon posted:

If they're that determined to roll multiple times just to get a $15AUD game, why not just drop the $15 on the game itself?
That's how they get you. :eng101:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

The Kins posted:

That's how they get you. :eng101:

No, it isn't. Sunk cost fallacy only works when you can see the outcome being worth the continued effort. That's why gambling works with big-money prizes; It'll all be worth it if you can just get that prize for far less money than you'd get if you paid the actual value. The average price of the games on sale right now is all of about $10.

I don't think you've thought your cunning plan through.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I’m interested in playing the old tie fighter/x wing games; is it possible with a t160000m HOTAS?

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

chaosapiant posted:

I’m interested in playing the old tie fighter/x wing games; is it possible with a t160000m HOTAS?

If it's a joystick that DOSBox can recognize, you probably are fine. Throttle might be iffy, but IMO TIE Fighter does fine just adjusting speed on the keyboard. Not sure about the Win '95/98 era stuff though, like XWing vs. TF or X-Wing Alliance.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Also, GOG hats aren't quite the same as loot boxes, but it's still a crappy buy experience. I think they'll end up burning out a lot of good will if they keep it up, because they're not very fun and too similar to a really gross thing that game corps are doing.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
People on the GOG forums are pretty quick in figuring out which games are part of the prize pool. I also assume there are no odds - the chance of getting any game is equal to the chance of getting any other in the pool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

If the list is this: https://www.gog.com/forum/general/what_mystery_game_did_you_get_from_the_hat/post45

Then here are $30 worth of random picks from it (using random.org's list randomizer):

Creatures: Exodus
Star Trek: Starfleet Academy
Die by the Sword + Limb From Limb
Combat Mission: Beyond Overlord
Lost Eden
Iron Storm
Worms 2
Kingpin: Life of Crime
Toren
Syberia 3: The Complete Journey

To "play," just pretend you paid three bucks to look at the first one on the list. If you don't have it in your library already, it's yours now. If you do, pick the next one on the list. Want to buy another hat? Click the next one on the list.