Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf

timp posted:

Okay, I'm gonna take a shot in the dark at some of this.

I'm guessing that the students in this game are the Remnants of Despair. They were currently really lovely and the Future Foundation wanted them dead, but Naegi, being all Ultimate Hope-like, decides to run them through this virtual simulation and prove to people that they could improve as people, thus instilling worldwide hope? But then Monokuma comes in and fucks everything up, and DR2 starts. Or was the killing game part of Naegi's plan?

Still a lot of things I don't understand, like how Nagito w/ Junko's hand plays into things, or who was on the boat with him, or all the portraits of the founder of Hope's Peak...

Yeah this is my take on things now, the email to Naegi cleared up a lot, and the thing about the virtual reality didn't tell us anything the thread hadn't already guessed. Hajime realistically should've figured it out on his own by this point so I'm not sure with that dramatic realization was all about.

We saw Nagito being transported probably on the same boat as the others to the island and the care of Naegi's group after wherever they'd been collected from, although the mystery is who he was talking to there. I'm guessing the Ultimate Imposter based on the immediate claim of also having luck as a talent.

Whatever's going on with Hiyoko I still have no idea about.

Was that the Junko magazine on the table next to the tablet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008
What if everyone was a despair person and this was all just one sick experiment by the hope people on them? Then again I have no idea what that would mean for everything that happened.

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis
It almost certainly started as Makoto wanting to rehab them back from Despair. Somehow Monokuma got into the system and started doing his thing. I'm looking forward if the game clears up process of how they were captured in that proverbial wasteland though.

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013
Huh. Looks like my "this was meant to be a kind of therapy" theory was likely right on the money. Yay.

I can have moments of... eccentricity and sometimes be quite curious about things. Please forgive me if I do something foolish or rude.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
What I want to know is if you die in the Matrix do you die in real life. There's that whole bit about personality destruction that might imply it, and also probably be the result of wanting to 'stay on the island' when Monokuma makes the offer.

If all the victims and the executed are still alive...well that's going to be awfully awkward for some of them, huh.

Although so far Mikan seems to be the only one confirmed as being on the side of the Despair club. Not counting...whatever the hell Nagito's deal was.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

We're either dealing with "if you die in the Matrix you don't die in real life and time passes differently outside the simulation"

OR

"You do die in the matrix but you're all actually fully-grown adults just being convinced you're high schoolers"

That's the only two ways I can see the picture of adult Hiyoko make sense

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
I suppose it depends on exactly how many years you can remove from someone's mind.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

It seems pretty blatant to me from the talk of "redoing memories" that they're a decent chunk older outside the Matrix but have been rolled back to their school days through this simulation in a measure to keep them sane (or if they are the Remnants of Despair, to erase traces of Junko).

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf

AlphaKretin posted:

It seems pretty blatant to me from the talk of "redoing memories" that they're a decent chunk older outside the Matrix but have been rolled back to their school days through this simulation in a measure to keep them sane (or if they are the Remnants of Despair, to erase traces of Junko).

There was a mention of them being 'about the same age as the others' or something similar which probably means something or other as well.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

: (There is some flickering in the hallways during this video. I don't know if it's bad enough to trigger a seizure, but I'm giving a warning just in case.)

:siren: Click here to watch this update's video! :siren:

No Music.

: This hallway...

When we first arrived here, I walked down this hallway from the classroom to get to the gym.

: I don't really see a resemblance but...

: I think reality is slowly coming apart.

: No point in going back to the gym, it's closed.

: It's just a little bit hard to navigate when things look like this.

: Oh good, some sanity is in the distance.

: Let's see what Sonia's been up to this whole time.

: Are you familiar with the "placebo effect" and the "nocebo effect"?
: ...Huh?
: Hehe... The placebo effect is when your health improves after taking a fake medicine that you believe is real... And the nocebo effect is the exact opposite! Which means as long as the human brain controls all other bodily functions... Hmhmhm... If the brain believes something is real, it will become real!
: Why...would you bring that up all of a sudden...?

: ...
: Huh...?
: I-I am not sure... I...do not fully understand...

What the heck...?

: That was really strange. Speaking of, there appears to be a smudge in the middle of my glasses or something.

: Oh wait, no it's just Monokuma.

: May as well see what he wants.

: The moment you discover that the truth was a lie...all hope will disappear. Puhuhuhu.

: Cryptically foreboding, as usual. Classroom 1-B is the only place that's open right now. Let's go on in.

: That sure is a big object all right.

: I-Is this...floating...?

Th-That's impossible... There's no way something this big would be floating like this...

: ...But what in the world is it?

And the moment I looked at that object...

: Welcome... Welcome to the Neo World Program...
: A p-person!?
: A floating person...is talking to me... Wh-Who is it...? No...is this even a person in the first place?
: Um...I'm not quite a person... I'm simply an artificial intelligence program.
: It would make me happy if you called me Alter Ego. That is the name my master gave me when he created me.

I-It can talk...!

: B-But...what are you? Alter Ego...? Artificial Intelligence program...?
: I...am the master program behind the Neo World Program. I'm responsible for creating and overseeing this world...

: However...only the Observer has the authority to directly influence you guys... I can't actually exert much influence. In fact, my existence is one that you don't normally meet.
: I'm sort of like an apartment manager or something. I may oversee the entire apartment building, but I lack the power to manage individual rooms...
: But the virus has infected everything I'm supposed to be managing... And because of that, this world I'm managing is acting very peculiar...
: H-Hold on! My...brain can't follow what you're saying... Let me gather my thoughts first...!

Dammit...it's that feeling from earlier again... This floating feeling, like my feet are hovering above the floor...

It's like I can't feel my feet or the ground... Like I can't even believe my own existence...

: ...Hey, you should know, right? Where is this place?
: Tell me...! What is the Neo World Program!?

: The Neo World Program has omitted the data collection procedure for shaping the entire world. As such, only the data we collected during the experimental stage is being utilized. Specifically, that means the data detailing Jabberwock Island, where this research facility is located. That is why the previous Jabberwock Island's cityscape was restored.
: Ergo, if I am to answer your question, "Where is this place?", the answer would be, "Mostly Jabberwock Island:"... Certain portions of it are different depending on the circumstances... For example, this school you're in.
: It appears...this space is entirely under the virus's influence. That's probably why I'm appearing before you, too.
: However...even without the virus, these circumstances are a bit unnatural... It seems the launch was rushed, and because of that there wasn't enough time to collect any data...

: I'm sorry...I don't really know the circumstances of the outside world. After all, I'm simply...the overseer of the Neo World Program.

Most of its words... I understood what they meant, but I couldn't understand what was being said.

There was no way for me to acknowledge it as the truth... It would make much more sense if this was a fictional world...

Music fades out.

: Wait...are you saying this world is a fictional world?

I feel...

I feel like I can't believe what's going on here...

This missing sense of reality...

All the mysteries...all the truths...

They're all just fiction...

Is that...?

...Even so, I need to know. I need to know what this world is.

: ...Hey, can you tell me? What was the Neo World Program used for in the first place?

: The Neo World Program serves only one purpose... It is used to make the real world a splendid one. I guess you can say...it's a program for creating hope.
: A program for creating hope...? But...the fact that we're here, and the fact that we don't have our memories... That's all the program's fault, right?
: Deleting memory...is the first step toward replacing memory. Replacing memory data is one of the features of the Neo World Program. With the installed memory control unit, it is possible to remove any time period you set it to. And from there...you upload the memories obtained in the virtual world.

Removing...memories of any time period you set it to...? So Monokuma was right... We did lose our school memories...

: ...But why?
: Why us? Why were our school memories taken away? There's...a reason for that, right?
: That...is a mystery to me, too. Booting the program on the survivors of Hope's Peak Academy while it's still in its experimental stage...
: I'm sure...there was a very good reason...
: But unfortunately, I don't know what's happening in the outside world... I'm sorry...

Are you saying...we're lab rats? That's the only thing I can think of... It sounds like we're just lab rats.

The Future Foundation did that to us? But they're trying to save the world, right?

Or is the Future Foundation...not our ally?

: Um...I'm sorry... I can't provide that much help...
: If only I was more reliable... I wouldn't have lost my authority to a virus like this...
: All these new words make my head feel like it's about to burst...
: Can you tell me more about the Observer and that virus...?

: Well... For this session, the Neo World Program was programmed to house fiften people, along with two monitors...
: Two monitors...?
: Yeah. They were disguised as a teacher and one of the students. They were intended to guide the participants in this way.
: By the way, the observer in the teacher role has been given the authority to influence you all... But the observer in the student role was not... They weren't given any special authority at all so they're seem the same as everyone else.
: What kind of authority does the teacher role have?
: As an example...the teacher creates the rules of this world, and manages them. If the teacher is properly managing the rules they've created, there is no risk of abuse...

Music fades out.

: But because of the virus infecting everything, that has changed.

: It...changed this world where violence shouldn't have existed in the first place... The Neo World Program would've promised eternal peace...
: But just like the outside world, it's become a world filled with violence and death.
: Wh-What...is that virus?
: I don't really know the details behind its true identity...but that function is beyond my capabilities. No matter how much I try to stop it, it behaves as if it already knows what I'm attempting to do... In the end, it stole the portion of my abilities which contain my authority to build the world. It was like...it was a grandmaster chess player. I desperately tried to fight back so it wouldn't have complete control...
: But even so...a portion of the world has been modified at its convenience...

She's...probably talking about Monokuma Rock and the Funhouse... Based on what she's saying...it sounds like she's on the receiving end of a one-sided attack... But Alter Ego should be an impressive artificial intelligence that the Future Foundation created. I can tell that just by communicating with her.

Which means this supposed virus is so smart that it surpasses this Alter Ego...? If so, does that virus possess an artificial intelligence just like her...?

Dammit...what the heck...!? An artificial intelligence...waging an attack against another one... That's so freaking irritating...!

: ...But how did that virus infect the Neo World Program?

: The Neo World Program exists in isolation. It's impossible it was infected through a network...
: I'm fairly certain...someone physically uploaded it.
: ...Physically?
: Perhaps someone secretly brought an external memory drive containing the virus into the facility and directly uploaded it into the main computer where the Neo World Program is installed...
: Based on my calculations...that's most likely what happened.

It was brought to the Future Foundation's facility...? But the only person who could enter that facility...is someone who was a member of the Future Foundation...

...Dammit, what am I thinking? Why...am I assuming that what I just heard is the truth?

Why...am I assuming that everything is a lie!?

: Ah, but...
: It's true that the virus is powerful...and that I'm completely overwhelmed by it...
: But I'm still able to defend the essential areas. So...it has a limit too.
: A limit...?
: If it took over an Observer, then it has to follow the rules of an Observer...
: Um...such as...
: In order to end the program and release everyone, I need to follow the correct procedure and...

: Okay! Even if you're just a god in the machine, that's enough hints from you!
: If you're gonna say something more...

: Suppose that you exist between life and death, the death of your self in inevitable. If so, it can be parallel to

: the defluxion based on the definition of existence
: that constitutes
: the relationship. From there, the paradigm

: change results by being cut off rapidly and causes a
: situation where your
: own existence is unobservable and

: accelerates and crossed with the joint ownership of the world and the situation from the context invites your

Music cuts out.

: death death death death death death death death death
: death death death death death death death death death
: H-Hey...?

death death death death death death death death death

death death death death death death death death death death death death death death death death death death

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Guys, someone should try turning FPZero off and on again

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

FPzero posted:

death death death death death death death death death death death death death death death death death death

I love that song!

Insertnamehere31
Jan 23, 2012

This could be the most one-sided fight since 1973 when Ali faced an eighty-foot tall mechanical Joe Frazier. My memory isn't what it used to be, but I think the entire Earth was destroyed.

So the fact that the virus had to be uploaded manually is bad news for naegi and co. Either there's a traitor in the future foundation or the despair folks have forced their way in. I assume the person who uploaded it is the same person we saw in that weird interlude with liquid nagito on the boat, who was headed to the island after being captured and was going to be forced into the simulation.

e: Ok I went back and read that interlude chapter. The mystery character definitely has the virus on some sort of external drive, and they either received it or took it from junko. They mention having her legacy in their pocket or something like that. If I had to guess I would say that person is that super talent kid that hope's peak was built around who killed a bunch of people. The way they keep saying they were blessed with talent and that the world was boring seems to indicate a superiority and indifference to the world.

Insertnamehere31 fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Feb 16, 2018

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
Nagito had Junko's hand, maybe he ruined everything and uploaded a virus for some completely incoherent hope/despair word salad reason.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Alter Ego survived DR1 after all. :unsmith:

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Maybe it's a different one!

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Chances of surviving DR2 are not exactly looking good though.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf

Insertnamehere31 posted:

e: Ok I went back and read that interlude chapter. The mystery character definitely has the virus on some sort of external drive, and they either received it or took it from junko. They mention having her legacy in their pocket or something like that. If I had to guess I would say that person is that super talent kid that hope's peak was built around who killed a bunch of people. The way they keep saying they were blessed with talent and that the world was boring seems to indicate a superiority and indifference to the world.

Yeah, I did the same right after watching the update. Now the big question is just who that is. Seems a bit late to introduce a completely new character but then characters from the original DR or outside materials seem fair game, although I know pretty much nothing about the novel and whatever else there is so it's hard to make any guesses there. All that stuff about the kid killing the others and having it hushed up was (I think?) a part of that too though so I don't know if the focus it's been getting here is just a callback and background stuff, or actual foreshadowing of it mattering to these characters too.

Thesaya
May 17, 2011

I am a Plant.
I honestly have been expecting Alter Ego to make an appearance since the Virtual Reality theories started. I am feeling a bit smug about being right about that now.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

:siren: Click here to watch this update's video! (Come back after it for the Trial Prep) :siren:

: Wh-What the heck...? What just happened...?

: You're right there, aren't you? Someone...is right there, right?
: ...Huh? Who...are you? Are you different...from the earlier one?

Maybe he...can't hear my voice from this side?

: I'm currently talking to the world through Alter Ego... Ever since you guys vanished into that space, the video's feedback has been pretty distorted...

Music fades out.

: But even so...we were forced to watch you this entire time.

: The things you guys were forced to do... We were forced to watch it.
: Forced...to watch...us...?
: I really wanted to save you right away, but because of the virus's interference...I couldn't. Our orders are no longer being accepted, including shutdown requests... The Neo World Program is beyond our control now...
: In that world, that person created an independent country that doesn't accept outside interference. But...Alter Ego created an opportunity for me to speak to you directly... If this means that's working... Then it means that the person I need to talk to is right there...I hope.

It looks like this guy can't even hear me or see me... Just...who is this guy anyway? Is he...our ally?

: Since there's no time...I'm going to say what I need to say and believe you're there listening to me.
: But first...I should apologize to everyone. I know apologizing won't help but...we didn't imagine something like this would happen. We never expected...such an atrocious virus was lurking inside the Neo World Program... But that's entirely our fault. It's our responsibility for not realizing it until it was too late.
: But it's not just the virus either... I can't say for sure that the program didn't have any problems in the first place... To tell you the truth, I was unsure about whether or not to run the program on you guys... But this was the only way to save you all! I wanted to save you guys!

Save...us...?

...What did he want to save us from? Why would this save us?

: You've...already seen the password to enter the graduation exam ground, right? You know, "11037".

"11037"...that's the number we found at Nezumi Castle!

: The door to the ancient ruin was supposed to open after you all finished gathering the Hope Fragments. From there, you guys were supposed to challenge the graduation exam...
: However, I prepared that password just in case something went wrong. Like I said earlier...I had my doubts that this program was perfect... Even if the chance was slim...I thought the Observer might end up going rogue. That's the reason I left that 11037 password in a place where the teacher role would not be able to go. I never thought Nagito, who saw it first, would erase that password...
: Anyway... I'm also the person who set the password to that number. That number contains a secret. Someone close to me...left that number to save me when I was in a dilemma. Can you understand what I'm trying to say? I'm entrusting that will to you all. I've entrusted it to your future.
: But...that person is trying to abuse the graduation exam... I'm sure they are going to crush you with despair using the graduation exam that's waiting for you... But I want you guys to endure it without giving up on hope. I want you guys to withstand it until I get there! Because...I have a secret to defeat them!

D-Does that mean...he has a secret plan to defeat Monokuma?

: In a worst-case scenario where an Observer who has the role of teacher goes rogue... I've prepared a hidden command to use at the graduation exam site.

: It's...the forced shutdown sequence.
: Forced shutdown sequence...?
: Even a teacher's authority can't stop that command... It's a way to end this that you guys can choose on your own, independently of the Observer. Which means even if they stole the teacher's authority, they shouldn't be able to stop it. If you use that...you guys will win.
: However, in order to start the forced shutdown sequence, you need more than half the number of people...

: And...in...order...to...do...that...

Music fades out.

: I...need...to somehow...get...that...number...

: asflkljagowwwwya●ya▪te+8rmnfdshis~...=~(KEEmo+yashi▪baba●●dddddddeathdeath

: death death death death death death death death death death death death death death death death death death

: What was that just now?
: Hey Hajime! What was that weirdness just now!?
: N-Nothing really...

: I see...
: Oh well! Anyway, that's all the hints you're gonna get... If that no-good artificial intelligence tells you any more useless stuff...
: I'm gonna butt in again! *leaves*

Did...Monokuma not notice what just happened?

: It's been a while since I've spoken at length, but...
: It was important to talk to you. It...was worth waiting a long time here.
: Hey...about that guy just now...
: ...There shouldn't be anything else for you to ask me.

I see... It'd be bad if Monokuma overheard us... That means...Monokuma doesn't know about the conversation I had with that guy just now.

: You guys have a weapon... A very powerful weapon... It all depends on how you guys use that weapon... The only thing I can do is prevent the virus's invasion with all my might so you guys can use that weapon...
: The rest...is up to you all. Do your best... *leaves*

Do our best...huh... But...what do we have to do our best at...?

The mystery is getting solved... I'm finally starting to see the truth...

Music fades out.

But...what are we supposed to do when the truth is really a lie?

We know we're working towards a conclusion that nobody wants to hear... But still, do we really need to work hard and do our best?

Is there...really a reason to do our best?

If everything was a lie... Then isn't everything just meaningless?

It's the same for the killings, too... Even though we had to experience something as painful as that... Something as tragic as that... Wouldn't all that be meaningless too?

When the world is flipped over and becomes so irrational...

: What...am I supposed to do...?

: Nothing else to do here, so let's keep moving.

*Ding dong, bing bong*

: Ah, so, um... I'm getting tired of waiting. Shall we just plunge right in? It's time for the long-awaited graduation exam! Please enter the red door located on the first floor of Hope's Peak Academy. Puhuhu, see you soon!

: A red door, huh...

It's...just a waste of time thinking about what this all means right now...

For now...I need to finish this...

I need to just focus on that...

: There it is, the big red door we've passed by many times by now. It has always been locked up to this point but now, we can enter.

: It's time to end things once and for all.

He means...this red door, right?

: Do I just have to go in here? If I do that...will this be finished?

: Huh...? This place...!

: Looks like...everyone's here...
: It seems that...this is going to be the final place...
: H-However...this place is...

: Is this...a trial ground?
: But why...am I at a trial ground...?
: It sure looks like a trial ground, but...the vibe is way different than the one from before...

: We've...been here before, right?
: Yeah, this should be the place that the door to the ancient ruins leads to...
: Huh...it seems pretty strange that we've been in that other building up till now...
: It's like...we're dreaming or something...

If this is a dream...then this, too, is very...

: So you've finally arrived. Congratulations! You guys are the first ones to ever beat this game!
: After stopping by Hope's Peak Academy, you've finally come back to this place.
: To the graduation exam site within the ancient ruins of Jabberwock Island!
: You can give it a fancy name like "graduation exam site" but it's no different than the trial ground from before.
: FROM BEFORE!
: This trial field actually inspired the one from before. So in a way, this place is the original!
: Wh-Who cares... This graduation exam means we can finally go home...right?

: Of course! If that's what you guys decide!
: ...And if we have to decide, what do we have to do?
: Ahem! Please take a look at the LCD touch panel built into your seats!

: Compared to the other trials, the rules are much simpler this time. There are two options: Graduate and Repeat, right? You just have to choose one of them, and press it. All of you will cast your vote, and whichever one has the majority will be considered your final decision! If you don't press either of them, it will be treated as an absence and will not be counted.
: Which means, everyone who has died up till now will have their votes treated as absences!

: Then...the result is based on our majority vote.
: Ahem! If Graduate is chosen by a majority vote... From there, an event that's kinda like a graduation ceremony called the Graduation Program will begin...
: Argh! Even if we do this stupid majority vote, the result is already pretty drat obvious! C'mon let's move this along! We can press it now, right!?

: No no no! You can't do that yet!
: I mean, your resolve hasn't firmed yet, right? Your will to be swept away by society's harsh current.
: Shut up! Who the hell cares! I'm gonna press it!

: My my...which of your orifices are you using to spew bile? To participate in the Graduation Program, you need my final say as your teacher, you know?
: Wh-What... Does that mean it won't end with just a majority vote?
: After the vote...I'm going to judge every single one of you to see if it's okay for you to graduate or not.

: So even if we vote, you're saying we won't graduate unless you acknowledge it.
: Um...I'm terribly sorry for being rude earlier...
: But you don't have to worry. There's no way I *won't* acknowledge your graduations. This is merely a formality. I'm just doing it because that's how it has to be.

He's doing it because it's how it has to be...? It doesn't mean he can exert his will over everything. He, too, has a limit. Is this what Alter Ego was talking about?

: Anyway...even if you don't want to do it, you guys still need to do it to solve the mystery. Afterward, you cast your majority votes... And from there, we move on to the Graduation Program.

: B-But...why do we even have to go through something so dumb?
: Well...that is...
: You said...you were waiting for the "main cast", right?
: ...Hm?
: Which means...you're just stalling for time, then.

: Who's...the main cast?
: Oh...no need to worry about it. It has nothing to do with you guys.
: Th-There is no way it has nothing to do with us! We are the only ones who are involved, you know!

: It doesn't matter if you're involved or not, you're just a bunch of chumps in the big picture. That's why it has nothing to do with you. Just perform your roles without complaining.
: H-Hold on... What's...with that "chump" comment...?
: I CAN'T IGNORE THAT!
: Ah, not that it's important or anything but... make sure you turn off that toy.
: H-How dare you treat him like a toy!
: I did treat it like a toy...you gotta problem with that?

Music fades out.

: I created everything.

: Puhuhu... You're actually picking a fight with me? I'm basically a god! Just how promising can you guys be!? I guess this...is just the nature of life...

: Fine then. Before you die, sear my power into your memories!

: Welcome to the Graduation Exam! At least I hope it is. Monokuma's making it sound kind of suspicious.
: The ticker along the bottom is currently busy attempting to print out "HELLO WORLD" while the class trial indicator up top is busy getting lunch or something.

: No skills to add here, even though we got a few more levels from walking and talking. We just didn't have the time to pick any up and I didn't have enough Hope Fragments left to buy anything really useful. So we'll be taking the following list of skills into the Graduation Exam: Envious Influence, Fine Sword, Delusion, Algorithm, Upshift, Tranquility, Trance, Menacing Focus, and Neural Liberation for a total of 51/74 SP used.

: Lastly, our Truth Bullets. We didn't get a ton of them this time even if it looked like we did. There was a lot of updates over time to them however, and as such they're all pretty long and important-looking. So for the last time in this game, let's have a look over our evidence.

: ...by Junko's despair and committed mass suicide. There was only one survivor...

: ...the dissatisfied Reserve Department students into rising against the academy.

: ...the students of Hope's Peak Academy.

: ...to you how dangerous it is to keep these people alive. Stay calm and think about this carefully. You guys are being lied to. Think carefully about what's important to bring the light of hope to the world.
: "The six of you joined the Future Foundation because you agreed with our ideals, right? The Future Foundation rescued you from the tragedy you survived and cooperated with recovering your memories.
: "Immediately return the Remnants of Despair to our headquarters. Unless we eliminate them, The Tragedy will never end. Everything...is for the sake of a future filled with hope."

: ...real world through the use of the virtual world.
: It was a program for creating hope, but it became filled with death and violence after the virus infected it.

: With that, join me again next time for the beginning of the end. It's time to question everything we thought we knew and understood about this world.
: And maybe we'll graduate too.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Important notes: We're at Trial 6 obviously. Because of the events contained within I've decided that I want to put out the whole trial in a one-update-per-day format so that we're not sitting waiting too long in between updates. But in order for me to do that, I'm currently in the middle of writing up all the updates. Basically, I want to have the whole trial written before I start posting them so I can fit this self-imposed schedule. So Trial updates will begin within the next week or so. Once they start, we'll be going straight through until the end of the game.

On a side note, there's gonna be a lot of extra content to cover for this game such as Bonus modes, the Free Times I've been unable to do so far, the unseen bonus scenes in-game and a little more. So once we hit the ending feel free to stick around for all the extra stuff that will come after. I'm also trying to think of some kind of way to potentially handle DR3 the Anime, though nothing concrete has come up on that front. Specifically in regards to Free Time Events, once I have them written I'm going to go back and intersperse them throughout the LP via the Table of Contents so that when this thread goes to archives there isn't just a huge glut of Free Times at the end for anyone reading there.

And I suppose now is as good a time as any to mention it, but I currently have no plans to LP Danganronpa V3. The reason is simple. I really like the game and would love to show it to everyone here because holy poo poo it has some amazing moments that I'd love to see thread reactions for. But this current LP has been such an enormous time investment, especially when I've been accelerating the process as much as possible in an attempt to not have it take three or four years to complete, has meant that I've devoted countless hours of free time to this projects. I'm ready to take a step back from long, involved SSLPs and focus on some other hobbies and less-intensive VLPs for a while. Maybe in a year or two I'll have some time again to devote to V3, but right now I will not be LPing it in the future. Sorry to anyone who was really excited about the prospect and is disappointed by this news. But I am in desperate need of an SSLP break after what's essentially been 2 1/2 years nonstop of Danganronpa LPs. :v: Thanks for understanding!

I hope everyone's excited for the finale of DR2. I know I am. It's gonna be one hell of a ride!

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I hope we can find some way to "Let's Play" the DR3 anime. I have very... strong feelings about it.

That being said, looking forward to next week's updates!

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
I absolutely understand you needing a break, but happily I bought DR3 awhile ago because of this LP, so once it concludes I will be experiencing the real deal.

Meanwhile I'll try to restrain my frantic :f5:ing for a week but everything is so intense now. Now that we have a good idea of what's going on with these guys it just leaves me wanting to know more about what's happened to Naegi and the others, because it doesn't sound good on their end either.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

FPzero posted:

But this current LP has been such an enormous time investment, especially when I've been accelerating the process as much as possible in an attempt to not have it take three or four years to complete, has meant that I've devoted countless hours of free time to this projects.

Never have I felt so called out.

Seb
Apr 8, 2003

Soiled Meat
Thank you for your dedication, FPzero.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf

Seb posted:

Thank you for your dedication, FPzero.

Yeah, FPZero is amazing! Nothing like that lazy slacker Fedule.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Looking forward to the finale. And don't worry, I'm sure plenty of us can and will wait for a V3 LP. Though that makes me wonder which will come first, a V3 LP or a Despair Girls LP?

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
This looks like it's been a lot of effort, so thanks for all of it.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I've considered LPing DRV3, but I'd need a good emulator for it.

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Uh oh. Do I use Ariadne thread or Goho-M?

ApplesandOranges posted:

I've considered LPing DRV3, but I'd need a good emulator for it.

It's available on Steam, why would you need an emulator for it?

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!
While V3 is my favorite game in the series and I encourage people to play it, I hope that when someone finally gets around to an LP, some goons will be able to react and speculate in the thread.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I actually know very little about V3. I suppose I could watch a LP of it.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Solitair posted:

While V3 is my favorite game in the series and I encourage people to play it, I hope that when someone finally gets around to an LP, some goons will be able to react and speculate in the thread.

This is how I've felt about the series and my LP of it in general. I've always encouraged people to play the games for themselves but man do I love me some blind reactions to the things that go on. Reading the reactions in this thread has been a joy, especially after Chiaki's execution and the subsequent falling apart of reality.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

BlazeEmblem posted:

It's available on Steam, why would you need an emulator for it?

Because I'd completely forgotten somehow since I got the Vita. :v:

I might look into seeing if I can get something going in the next couple months then.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Mraagvpeine posted:

Looking forward to the finale. And don't worry, I'm sure plenty of us can and will wait for a V3 LP. Though that makes me wonder which will come first, a V3 LP or a Despair Girls LP?

Almost certainly the V3 LP, because Despair Girls is bad in so many ways that you're better off reading the story over playing the game, and only parts of the story at that.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Solitair posted:

unless V3 goes on some massive 80% off sale or something by the time an LP starts, I will be one of those goons.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

ApplesandOranges posted:

Because I'd completely forgotten somehow since I got the Vita. :v:

I might look into seeing if I can get something going in the next couple months then.

If you decide you want to go through with it, feel free to PM me. I have a huge amount of resources for the game as well as ideas for how I would have handled the LP myself were I to go forward with it. I may also have advice for workflow and formatting since it's a huge undertaking, though you're obviously free to develop your own methods if you prefer.

Honestly one of the biggest things that's currently preventing me from even wanting to try a V3 LP is the fact that of the sets of character sprites I have, one of them has all the sprites on black backgrounds, not transparent, meaning making the talking heads would be a pain unless I left in all the black backgrounds. The other set is on transparent backgrounds but is not a complete set of sprites since they're from a bonus mode in the game, not the main mode. Without an easy way to get nice neat transparent character sprites for every sprite like I've had for DR1 and 2, I haven't really wanted to tackle the LP in any capacity even though I started gathering initial resources. But oren's LP had talking heads on black backgrounds so maybe it's just me being a control freak about cleanness and presentation (it's absolutely this no one cares about black BGs only i do)

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Thanks for all the hard work, FPZero!

V3 is my favourite game in the series. I hope it gets LPd on the forums at some point whether by you or somebody else.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
One thing which has always pissed me off in games, movies, etc is when they do something like this:

"I have something incredibly important to tell you. You lives depend on what I have to tell you! We are running out of time for me to tell you this thing which your lives depend on! But first, let's talk about something else for a while. Oh no, we've run out of time somehow!"

:ughh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Okay so if I understood Naegi's hair spike there correctly, we have three options in the final trial. Graduate and Repeat are both failures, but the third, hidden option of Forced Shutdown will win us the game. Now it's up to Hajime to convince everyone that 1. There IS a third option and 2. to choose it. Monokuma's not gonna like that, I bet.

• Locked thread