Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Wroughtirony posted:

Any of you losers live in Louisville? Looks like Mr. W and I are moving there later this year. all I remember is Taco Punk and the Garage Bar.

Franklin Avenue Beer Depot is a great dive with good barbecue (try the salmon). Strong drinks. Falafal House on Bardstown has fantastic hummus and shawarma, and you get a little cup of great lentil soup while you wait for your food.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Any good recommendations for San Sebastian or Barca? I haven't been to the former before or the latter in a decade, so my list is pretty thin atm. Going for the better part of a week to each, looking mostly for reasonable prices, but open to doing a more expensive meal in each location.

Laocius
Jul 6, 2013

Nephzinho posted:

Any good recommendations for San Sebastian or Barca?

There's a really great burger place in San Sebastian called Va Bene. Better than any burger I've had in the US. You should also check out a cider house. Any of them, really, you can't go wrong. Honestly, I never had a bad meal the entire time I was there.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Laocius posted:

Honestly, I never had a bad meal the entire time I was there.

This is basically why I'm going.

Amara
Jun 4, 2009
It looks like the NYC food recommendation thread is archived?

I'm looking to organize a birthday dinner with a private room in NYC. This is a month and a half away and I won't be ready to book until about a month prior to the date in case reservations are going to be tricky.

10-15 people. Ideally < $40 a head before drinks. Cuisine type can be any, though I was figuring it might be easiest to do with Chinese food family style, especially since there's a culture of private room dining in China.

Does anyone have recommendations?

Nur_Neerg
Sep 1, 2004

The Lumbering but Unstoppable Sasquatch of the Appalachians

Nephzinho posted:

Any good recommendations for San Sebastian or Barca? I haven't been to the former before or the latter in a decade, so my list is pretty thin atm. Going for the better part of a week to each, looking mostly for reasonable prices, but open to doing a more expensive meal in each location.

For San Seb: If you can get an hour outside town to Etxebarri, it's a million times worth it. Incredible meal, incredible setting, and it's hard to find higher quality ingredients. Vittor is an incredibly nice man also.

Otherwise, we tried Saltxipi in the fall, and it was good, not great, probably wouldn't go back. If you want a very expensive meal in the city proper you're looking at Arzak or Mugarritz most likely. You're gonna have a really hard time going wrong with most any busy pintxo bar at night, but we really enjoyed Atari Gastroteka and Gandarias Restaurante. Supposedly Txubillo is really good too, but didn't manage to get to it while it was open, it's in a different part of town than most of the other spots.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

got off on a technicality posted:

I really did not like Commis the last time I was there, but it was 2-3 years ago.

I've only been there once and I wanna say it was like 6 years ago? There was only one course I didn't like (cold crab with some kinda flavor "snow" on it) but tbf I think cold crab is generally a waste of good crab.

quote:

Mourad is an excellent suggestion, but my recommendation is you do not order the tasting. Instead I suggest the basteeya, the octopus, the chicken to share, and the honey dessert. A la carte is also much more cost efficient than the tasting so I'm sure that will fit in your budget. Kin Khao is not bad (tasting menu is fine there) but you should be prepared for everything to be quite spicy (even some of my Thai friends think the spice level is on the high side)

I loved Aziza so Mourad will probably be my next one. I love octopus even though I feel kinda bad eating them.

Maybe they toned it down or maybe they gave us the super whitey spice level since we're, uh, super white. But IIRC there was only one course that I would have labeled "quite spicy" but still not over the top. I'm pretty spice tolerant though.

One thing that oddly impressed me at Kin Khao was the soup. It seemed like a very simple almost all broth type soup but the flavor was really surprising.

What would you recommend for one crazy over the top dinner, money no object, with major bonus points if I can get away without wearing a tie and jacket?

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

therobit posted:

Awesome guys, thanks. I will report back after our weekend. Maybe we will be irresponsible and try a couple of them. Also when booking this trip I learned how cheap the PDX to SFO route is so I may just book another trip for summer or something.

Where'd you eat you sonovabithc, I want a trip report. :)

Laocius
Jul 6, 2013

Nephzinho posted:

Any good recommendations for San Sebastian or Barca?

I almost forgot one: definitely get some churros and chocolate at Santa Lucia in the old city.

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
I'm assuming this isn't worth bumping a Chicago food thread, if there is one...can anyone vouch for Sabatino's? (http://sabatinosrestaurantchicago.com)

I have a ridiculous bookmark drop down of everything involved recipes and restaurants, and I have no idea how this ended up there. Just wondering as I plan a weekend in Chicago with my girlfriend.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Peetown Manning posted:

I'm assuming this isn't worth bumping a Chicago food thread, if there is one...can anyone vouch for Sabatino's? (http://sabatinosrestaurantchicago.com)

I have a ridiculous bookmark drop down of everything involved recipes and restaurants, and I have no idea how this ended up there. Just wondering as I plan a weekend in Chicago with my girlfriend.

If you're going to Chicago you are legally required to go to The Girl and The Goat (if you can get a table).

got off on a technicality
Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

veiled boner fuel posted:

What would you recommend for one crazy over the top dinner, money no object, with major bonus points if I can get away without wearing a tie and jacket?
I would suggest Coi; imo the food is the right balance of cutting edge & satisfying. It's also nice and cozy without being uncomfortably fancy - I wore a simple button down shirt (no suit or anything)

If it's white truffles you're craving and it's truffle season and you have a huge appetite: Quince (the only restaurant I've been to where we've consistently failed to finish the food)

If it's Asian flavors you want and you can handle a more stiff/formal atmosphere: Benu

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

I can't seem to find the NYC where-to-eat thread so I'll just ask here. My wife and I will be in NYC for two days at the end of this month and we'd like some recommendations. Particularly the following:

Best non-Katz's Jewish Deli (we'll be hitting up Russ and Daughters but she's more interested in corned beef/pastrami type place as well)
Thai
French
Italian

Not looking to break the bank here so no fine dining, looking for something more mid-level.

Also, best place for cocktails.

I imagine we'll be staying mostly in Manhattan but if there are any must-haves in other boroughs, we're up for it.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

The Midniter posted:

I can't seem to find the NYC where-to-eat thread so I'll just ask here. My wife and I will be in NYC for two days at the end of this month and we'd like some recommendations. Particularly the following:

Best non-Katz's Jewish Deli (we'll be hitting up Russ and Daughters but she's more interested in corned beef/pastrami type place as well)
Thai
French
Italian

Not looking to break the bank here so no fine dining, looking for something more mid-level.

Also, best place for cocktails.

I imagine we'll be staying mostly in Manhattan but if there are any must-haves in other boroughs, we're up for it.

1. Pastrami Queen (upper east side)
2. Nourish (brooklyn)
3. no idea, just eat a stick of butter
4. little frankies, gnocco, max (east village, east village, tribeca)

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

The Midniter posted:

Have you been to Katz's before and don't like it? Because it's literally next door to Russ and Daughters, and it would be so easy to hit them both back to back. Of course, you may have already been planning that and were hoping to find a second deli.

I haven't been there, but I've heard Mile End is great too.
https://www.mileenddeli.com/#menu-section

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

Have you been to Katz's before and don't like it? Because it's literally next door to Russ and Daughters, and it would be so easy to hit them both back to back. Of course, you may have already been planning that and were hoping to find a second deli.

I haven't been there, but I've heard Mile End is great too.
https://www.mileenddeli.com/#menu-section

I have been to Katz's, and it was fine, I just wanted to try something different this time.

Kalenden
Oct 30, 2012
Where to eat for a 5 day trip to Paris for Belgian foodies who enjoy exotic/fun/unique/world-best fine-dining with budget no issues?

Anything goes but we highly prefer things with tasting menus that amaze and innovate. A classic bistro appeals less than, for example, a michelin-level authentic Chinese, since the second one is more unique.

We like everything. Barcelona and London were great trips for instance (Michelin-level Indian, playfulness with food, etc).

Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

Kalenden posted:

Where to eat for a 5 day trip to Paris for Belgian foodies who enjoy exotic/fun/unique/world-best fine-dining with budget no issues?

I strongly recommend David Toutain; it's a mystery to me why they only have 1*

Also Mathieu Pacaud's Histoires (2*); it's a cool restaurant within a restaurant

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time
In San Francisco we ended up eating at The Morris as it was the only place on the list I could get a reservation. It was really good though. Like the previous poster I was not dissapointed. We had charcuterie, grilled broccoli, and smoked duck. I think people really go for the duck there which was good but the broccoli was my favorite part of the meal. We also had tons of leftovers.

We also ate at Manzoni's in Glen Park and that was also really good for classic Italian food.

therobit fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Mar 15, 2018

Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

therobit posted:

In San Francisco we ended up eating at The Morris ad it was the only place on the list I could get a reservation. It was really good though. Like the previis poster Iwas not dissapointed. We had charcuterie, grilled broccoli, and smoked duck. I think people really go for the duck there which was good but the broccoli was my favorite part of the meal. We also had tons of leftovers.

We also ate at Manzoni's in Glen Park and that was also really good for classic Italian food.

Glad you liked it; hilariously I order the same dishes (charcuterie, broccoli, duck) p much every time I go

I'll have to check out Manzoni sometime

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...
Hello! I'll be out in Normandy, France (Caen) for several days as well as doing tons of touristy things in Paris. Where should I go!

We eat everything and are happy to pay lots of money or as little as possible. We live in NYC so we're willing to eat across the spectrum :).

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

Doh004 posted:

Hello! I'll be out in Normandy, France (Caen) for several days as well as doing tons of touristy things in Paris. Where should I go!

We eat everything and are happy to pay lots of money or as little as possible. We live in NYC so we're willing to eat across the spectrum :).

Others will be able to recommend more specific places in Paris, but the one thing you must try when in Normandy is the cider. I was too used to drinking nothing but Somersby and Strongbow, and the local cider blows it all out of the water.

Laocius
Jul 6, 2013

Can anyone recommend any good restaurants in DC for under $20 a plate?

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

mojo1701a posted:

Others will be able to recommend more specific places in Paris, but the one thing you must try when in Normandy is the cider. I was too used to drinking nothing but Somersby and Strongbow, and the local cider blows it all out of the water.

Yes! I was actually just about to book a private half day tour for cider and calvados, so gonna book that now. Love a good cider.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

Laocius posted:

Can anyone recommend any good restaurants in DC for under $20 a plate?

If you like Thai food, Beau Thai.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.
If you’re looking for restaurants in the DC area but are OK traveling to Falls Church or Rockville, then Peter Chang has to be on your list. There’s a reason David Chang says there’s only one Chang this city cares about and it’s not him.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

Doh004 posted:

Yes! I was actually just about to book a private half day tour for cider and calvados, so gonna book that now. Love a good cider.

Calvados I regret not trying while I was there, but I had dinner at one of the hotel restaurants in Bayeux, and I had really good smoked salmon (basically salmon sashimi with some smokiness) and local oysters. Fantastic.

I also found out I have family there and I regret not bringing back a bottle of their apple/herbal liqueur they produce and sell.

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.

Doh004 posted:

In Paris, I cannot recommend Les Papilles enough. Wine shop by day, restaurant by night where they change the menu every day. You go in and they help you pick a bottle of wine based on what they're serving that night, then an amazing 4 course meal shows up at your table. It's the best. Also, Bistro Paul Bert is an experience I would greatly recommend.

Ok thread, I'm headed to Reykjavic in a couple weeks and we plan on doing one "fancy" dinner while we're there. We love trying new things and my wife especially loves seafood. Any recommendations?

Killa B
Jul 11, 2007
I'm going to be in Vermont in the Stowe/Waterbury area for a couple of days and will be arriving in the morning. Looking for a place that serves excellent breakfast food during the week. I already know I'll be hitting up Prohibition Pig for lunch and/or dinner but don't know what to do for breakfast.

I'll even take suggestions for breakfast near Greensboro since I will be making a stop at Hill Farmstead

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004
Prohibition Pig is so good. I go there every time I'm in BY. The only breakfast places I have been to are over in Burlington though sadly.

Killa B
Jul 11, 2007
I may just say "the hell with it" and drive up to Burlington first so I'll take suggestions

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004
I’ve only been to two places but they are both excellent. One is August First Bakery and the other is Penny Cluse Cafe.

Burlington is a pretty awesome town, beautiful city to walk around. Lots of good lesser known breweries there too.

Killa B
Jul 11, 2007
I love Foam and Burlington Brewing but I promised the wife that I wouldn't take her to any breweries beside Hill Farmstead. She doesn't drink and wants this VT stop to be just about her and I. At least she understands Hill Farmstead is my favorite brewery

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004
Yeah Foam is awesome. I have the same dilemma with my wife. Our agreement is they have to serve food so we can eat there.

Daunte Vicknabb
Feb 22, 2005

You are already dead
Foam has good cheese plates. Also, if you've never done dinner and beer at American Flatbread it's totally worth it, they make excellent lagers and porters and things of that sort. Their IPAs are fine but not remarkable by Vermont standards.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004
That place is really solid too. I stumbled onto them on a work trip there one night looking for to go food. Picked up a 4 pack of Second Fiddle from the brewery and got pizza from American Flatbread. That was a drat good hotel meal.

Killa B
Jul 11, 2007

rockcity posted:

I’ve only been to two places but they are both excellent. One is August First Bakery and the other is Penny Cluse Cafe.

Burlington is a pretty awesome town, beautiful city to walk around. Lots of good lesser known breweries there too.

August First was our lunch stop before heading home. Thank you for the recommendation. Wife and I both loved it.

Sandtrout Catsuit
Feb 15, 2008

They were all over his body now. He could feel the pulse of his blood against the living membrane.
Any recommendations for the Oregon coast? We're travelling from roughly Seaside to Florence. I am really bad at judging seafood restaurants from the outside.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
What should I eat in downtown Atlanta (by the CNN building)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Going to Barca in like two weeks and I kind of forgot to actually plan anything. We're staying in the gothic quarter and are pretty much planning on walking over to the beach and whatnot any given day. Any favorite places to check out for food?

e; I have SB figured out, just haven't gotten to Barca yet.

Nephzinho fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Jun 10, 2018