Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Jedit posted:

So did everyone else. Citizen Kane is a bad movie, but it's a bad movie in the same way the dictionary is a bad novel. Both are essential for learning the language.
This is the worst movie post I've ever read in pyf including all the mr bibs ones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

bitterandtwisted posted:

This is the worst movie post I've ever read in pyf including all the mr bibs ones.

Please don't compare me to Bibs. Kane is a genius piece of film making. It's lone fault is that it doesn't really work as entertainment.

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!

Jedit posted:

Please don't compare me to Bibs. Kane is a genius piece of film making. It's lone fault is that it doesn't really work as entertainment.

I put off watching it for years thinking it's probably poo poo that only film students could find enjoyable, but I found it pretty compelling.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Not Operator posted:

I put off watching it for years thinking it's probably poo poo that only film students could find enjoyable, but I found it pretty compelling.
Nope, it's a good movie. The tale of a powerful man who never found true happiness is a pretty classic story, and it's told well.

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!
Yeah, I was basically thrown throw off by the fact that the only praise I ever heard was about the directing and cinematography and stuff. No one really mentions that it's also a strong story well acted.

This is getting off topic, but I just wanted to defend the movie as a non-cinema nerd who enjoyed it.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
On the other hand the only movie I ever fell asleep during was Casablanca. It just didn't grip me.

Dr. Video Games 0081
Jan 19, 2005

MariusLecter posted:

It's a fog that turns people inside-out.

I wonder if this was influenced by this great old radio short: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HC2mNJcYtvw

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

BioEnchanted posted:

On the other hand the only movie I ever fell asleep during was Casablanca. It just didn't grip me.

I actually really enjoyed it, to my surprise. I was ready to find it boring due to the sheer amount of cultural references it had generated, but nope, good plot, good characterization, a pleasure.

Touch of Evil, though, was a disappointment, other than the famous long shot at the beginning.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Casablanca has great dialogue too, like pretty much every scene with Rick and Renault is super witty.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
I was shocked how long it took me to realize Velvet Goldmine, a film I love, basically is a remake of Citizen Kane, so yes, the story is good, and the form its told (reporter hearing the story from various characters' perspectives) is pretty nice too.

small ghost
Jan 30, 2013

Talking of classic films that are better than you were expecting, The Seventh Seal surprised me with how fun and engaging it was. I'd always assumed it was just going to be slow and worthy, but there are actual jokes and interesting characters.

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

'n suddenly there was a terrible roar all around us 'n the sky was full of what looked like 'uge bats, all swooping 'n screeching 'n divin' around the ute.
One of my favorite things about The Seventh Seal is that the actor playing the jester, Nils Poppe, is definitely not somebody you'd expect in a Bergman movie. He was almost entirely a vaudevillian comic who tended to play laughable characters you could relate to and did the live theater/vaudeville tours of Sweden for some 50 years in his life. The first time I watched the movie I didn't even know he was in it, but he was really great at playing drama as well and I got a whole new appreciation for him.

I was in the same camp of it as well, because I fully expected Seventh Seal to be a really dour and heavy film about mortality, but it's got some really funny moments that helps to draw you in. I kinda stopped thinking of it as a drama and instead as a very dark comedy after that and just got on with enjoying it immensely.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Yeah I was totally blown away by seventh seal when I saw it too. The ending was amazing.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
It's not a TV show or a movie, but I listened to the audiobook A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court (read by Nick Offerman) and after a slow start it legitimately read like a modern book. I think they made a movie version in the 1950's, but between blowing up knights with bombs, having a road trip with the King, and electrocuting thousands of minor noblemen it is overdue for a gritty film remake.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Trans fats episodes

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
A lot of old movies can be hard to watch nowadays because everyone's more used to relatively breakneck pacing of modern movies, I think. Might be that movies were more of an event back then, something you'd go out to and sit down to watch, not intended for the small screen. (not that they don't try to make every movie into a big event nowadays, they're just bad at it)

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
I certainly find it had to watch a lot of older movies because of that.

Taxi Driver and even the original Mad Max have scenes where people are just sitting doing nothing for quite long periods of time and, as a modern viewer, you're wondering what the hell is going on, why isn't the camera moving, shouldn't the next scene have started? Is there going to be a jump scare?

Contrast that with music video producers going on to make movies and have cuts every second until you have no idea what the gently caress is happening. Someone posted earlier in the thread a video from Taken (I think) of Liam Neeson jumping a fence and it's just insane how many cuts there were.

EDIT: And found it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gCKhktcbfQM

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

A lot of anime has that. Like we just see shots of buildings and people walking around in cityscapes. I can't stand Ghost in the Shell because of that stuff. Get the story moving!

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I think sometime around the mid to late 2000s there was so much use of excessive cutting and shakeycam that made action scenes basically completely incoherent that it led to a bit of a backlash. (I think also it was attempting to disguise the actors not actually having much skill or ability with stunts) Fury Road got praised basically for remembering how to pace scenes and give a sense of moment-to-moment continuity. (by using methods from old kung-fu movies)

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Mu Zeta posted:

A lot of anime has that. Like we just see shots of buildings and people walking around in cityscapes. I can't stand Ghost in the Shell because of that stuff. Get the story moving!

its this guy, folks. he's the problem. GET HIM

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I also hate the Blade Runner scene where he just scans that photo and says enhance a bunch of times. Get going.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yDbvVFffWV4

No contest.

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun

Reminds me of an old Friends I was watching recently. Chandler gets a promotion and immediately quits his job because it’s not fulfilling and what he wants to do. So his boss keeps calling and calling, increasing his salary. So 90s.

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

SEX BURRITO posted:

Reminds me of an old Friends I was watching recently. Chandler gets a promotion and immediately quits his job because it’s not fulfilling and what he wants to do. So his boss keeps calling and calling, increasing his salary. So 90s.

those were the days. now i have a doctorate and i wash dishes on a CEO’s rocketship for only 0.3 credits an hour.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

BioEnchanted posted:

I have fallen asleep during The Gangs of New York, Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy, and Clear and Present Danger (this one probably shouldn't count because I had been awake for over 24 hours by the time I started watching it)

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

The entire point of that scene is that is it was oppositeofreality.mp4

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

SEX BURRITO posted:

Chandler was always good at his job and weenus reports but it was soul crushing. That's why he quit to become a marketing intern, which doesn't make any sense since marketing is the ultimate dehumanizing job.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Mu Zeta posted:

Chandler was always good at his job and weenus reports but it was soul crushing. That's why he quit to become a marketing intern, which doesn't make any sense since marketing is the ultimate dehumanizing job.

But it's "creative" so to a tv writer that means it's more important and fulfilling.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Guys, don't talk bad about the writers or we're gonna wind up falling down elevator shafts!

londonarbuckle
Feb 23, 2017

I mean, this was always supposed to read as absurd? If anything it's aged way too well.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Iron Crowned posted:

I have fallen asleep during The Gangs of New York, Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy, and Clear and Present Danger (this one probably shouldn't count because I had been awake for over 24 hours by the time I started watching it)

In complete fairness, it's the less entertaining of the two Jack Ryan movies Harrison Ford did.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Krispy Wafer posted:

It's not a TV show or a movie, but I listened to the audiobook A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court (read by Nick Offerman) and after a slow start it legitimately read like a modern book.

hey now, modern literature hasn't degenerated that far.

I mean, Connecticut Yankee is awesome as a collection of satirical sketches lampooning everything that annoyed Mark Twain but it's a terrible, terrible story.

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun

Mu Zeta posted:

I like how he went into an unpaid advertising internship and immediately got to pitch ideas and work on accounts. I don’t think he fetched a single coffee.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

sassassin posted:

But it's "creative" so to a tv writer that means it's more important and fulfilling.

tbf I worked in marketing for awhile and it's creative as long as you disregard all the input from your clients.

Otherwise you end up with a Detroit based children's charity who rejects any stock photo with a black kid in it.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

This is scene is parodying the common American experience of being harassed by an overly-aggressive panhandler or solicitor. However in this case rather than asking for money or offering an overpriced product or service no-one is interested in, they are offering an opportunity most people would jump at and would be seen as a huge break in the incredibly unlikely event that it occurred even within the prosperous economic environment of the 90s. This tension between the familiar and the unfamiliar leads to a physiological response where the diaphragm repeatedly contracts in an audible manner that the person finds pleasurable commonly known as "laughter"; the result of a cultural practice known as a "joke".

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
It reminds me of a scene in Everybody Hates Chris that dated it, but in an appropriate way because it was set in the 80s - at one point the family is having financial trouble and Chris's mother says "I'll just go down to the job centre and get myself a part time job!" I just laughed because I was watching that episode in 2013 after years of frustrating unemployment and was like "Yeah, like it's that easy..."

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Iron Crowned posted:

I found Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy incredibly different to follow because the main characters were so difficult to tell apart.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Inescapable Duck posted:

A lot of old movies can be hard to watch nowadays because everyone's more used to relatively breakneck pacing of modern movies, I think. Might be that movies were more of an event back then, something you'd go out to and sit down to watch, not intended for the small screen. (not that they don't try to make every movie into a big event nowadays, they're just bad at it)

while rapid modern editing has a lot to do with it, fast pacing in general was more of a comedy thing in the earlier ages of cinema like the once-popular genre of screwball comedies that were known for their quick exchanges of witty dialogue and sudden & rapid plot developments that def came at audiences fast enough that modern viewers sometimes have trouble keeping up with them even tho a film like, for example, his girl friday is mostly made up of a fewer longer shots that linger on the action once the film really gets going; action-comedies especially from the silent era tended to have quick salvos of fast-paced bits with a later example like the general being nearly 90 minutes of nonstop frantic physical comedy when the great train chase actually begins - i would say both those films are very watchable today even tho they're old as gently caress but in the spirit of the thread i will mention that watching buster keaton defeat union agents and later a union army to earn promotion to confederate lieutenant is a convenience i can see not sitting well especially with 2018 audiences even tho it's based on a set of weird historical events

anyway by comparison contemporary dramas had more time to breathe, simmer and stew to let the gravity of the situation fall on audiences

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

dissss posted:

I found Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy incredibly different to follow because the main characters were so difficult to tell apart.

Me too. A bunch of shapeless white british men with only subtly varying shades of hair in an already convoluted and intentionally confusing spy movie plot was not a good time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

dissss posted:

I had that same problem with (the otherwise mediocre) American Assassin. The protagonist looks like this:

Whereas the antagonist looks like this:

They're not twins or anything, but throw a baseball cap on either of them and it's starting to become different to quickly recognise which one you're looking at offhand. Particularly since the movie liked to hop around between perspectives and locales with relatively little in the way of introduction.