Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

https://twitter.com/jmalewitz/status/964472801527762944

I love this headline.

When he loses to Patterson it will be so sweet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Also re: paid sick leave, this is a Dallas City Council Member:

https://twitter.com/philiptkingston/status/964589983117004800

I’ve heard they’re also trying to get this done in San Antonio and Houston.

Important to note that because the sick leave ordinance takes effect this year, Republicans in the lege will be taking away a benefit that people will be actively using when they ban it next year.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Sexual assault case involving the Forney High School soccer team in Kaufman County. "There is no doubt to me that the coach and school administrators knew exactly what was going on, and maybe encouraged it," says one of the attorneys involved. "I'm not surprised the next phase of the investigation is focused on adults."

Sheriff's deputies raided the high school and seized the administrators' computers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2rJv0t_3xp0

quote:

Forney High School officials apparently knew about allegations of hazing and sexual assault involving the boys soccer team weeks before it was reported to authorities, court records show.

[...]

Five team members were taken into custody last month after at least two teammates said they were sexually assaulted. One said he had been sodomized in 2015 and again during the 2017 soccer season.

https://www.dallasnews.com/news/cri...sexual-assaults
The assaults were pretty brutal.

Kaufman County seems like a total, gangster-run mess and it's where prosecutors were getting plugged by rifle fire in front of the courthouse a few years ago.

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo
ugh and double ugh

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Kids sports are basically one giant sexual assault buffet

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

I missed the owner of Chez Zee admitting that she currently requires sick staff to come in and handle food.

https://twitter.com/PhilJankowski/status/964322868120125441

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

My dentist is on the list and I'm really upset by that, because I liked her.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Do you have a link to the list? I hadn't seen the full thing, only business owners who got quoted somewhere.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

here

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

That's a nice list of restaurants to avoid since they apparently have sick people in their kitchens!

Also how exactly did KUTX get on there? Are they even allowed to do that since they're publicly funded?

A3th3r
Jul 27, 2013

success is a dream & achievements are the cream
my impression of Texas politics is colored by my travel through there. It seemed sort of like a prairie wasteland and everybody was pretty macho. Presumably the real thing is a little more easygoing. "DON'T MESS WITH TEXAS"!!!

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Badger of Basra posted:

That's a nice list of restaurants to avoid since they apparently have sick people in their kitchens!

Also how exactly did KUTX get on there? Are they even allowed to do that since they're publicly funded?

Kut/KUTX put out a statement that they are a state agency and didn't have a position on the law. Their inclusion was an error.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

A friend knows that massage school and is loving furious. Ugh imagine getting the flu from a massage therapist

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

The worst thing we did in varsity soccer in San Antonio was piss in a kids soda. hosed up yes but he had it coming and we didn’t stick anything up peoples butts.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

I've made a huge mistake.

jaegerx posted:

The worst thing we did in varsity soccer in San Antonio was piss in a kids soda. hosed up yes but he had it coming and we didn’t stick anything up peoples butts.

in my time in high school in texas I can affirmatively state that anything I put up anybody else's butt was with enthusiastic consent

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you
It never escalated to weapons when I was there, and as far as I'm aware there wasn't any sexual abuse from the coaches, but we had some hosed up bullies in my small hill country school. During the bus ride to a road game, some jackasses held down one of the underclassmen and rubbed Ben-Gay on his dick. On top of the threat of a beating for being a rat, the whole team would have to run a few miles after the game if anyone was loud for any reason.

isk fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Feb 18, 2018

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Yeah dude, unwanted contact with the genitals is sexual assault.

pr0p
Dec 8, 2011
Does Beto statistically have a chance? Ted Cruz seems like this giant of the GOP despite being a junior senator who loves to impede the government in any way. I'm in his district.... my lesbian neighbor put out a sign for a more conservative local candidate. I don't understand this county.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

A3th3r posted:

my impression of Texas politics is colored by my travel through there. It seemed sort of like a prairie wasteland and everybody was pretty macho. Presumably the real thing is a little more easygoing. "DON'T MESS WITH TEXAS"!!!

no this state is absolutely packed to the loving gills with people who's fragile masculinity must constantly be assuaged.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

pr0p posted:

Does Beto statistically have a chance? Ted Cruz seems like this giant of the GOP despite being a junior senator who loves to impede the government in any way. I'm in his district.... my lesbian neighbor put out a sign for a more conservative local candidate. I don't understand this county.

I think if there was a big enough Dem wave and Beto were close enough he could potentially upset Cruz if were close-ish going into November and the GOP kind of got taken by surprise. I think it's a very long shot though.

It is true that Cruz tried really hard to make himself the name brand of the GOP right wing, but Trump crushing him in the primaries and becoming President really has hosed that up so I'm not sure where he really stands with the GOP right now.

I can tell you where I live it's overwhelmingly right wingers, and even though everyone will probably vote for Cruz, he really isn't well liked and even a lot of rabid right wingers see him as a posturing phony piece of self aggrandizing poo poo. So he has a bit of Hillary type of problem where even some on his team who will vote for him have some personal antipathy or at least indifference/contempt towards him and this could affect his turnout in a close election.

But, being Texas, he'll probably win by 8-10, sigh.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Old Plano, meet New Plano:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wIv_KBmjPeU

A3th3r posted:

My advice to disarm the macho types is to act really, really gay. It's what I do!

Hey cowboy! :heysexy:

Really though a friend here from Seattle (I wanted his outsider perspective) described Texas as: 85 percent of the people here are some of the nicest people you'll ever meet, and that goes for a lot of the macho cowboy types, too. But the other 15 percent or so are the meanest, downright no-good sons of bitches and simple loving pricks you'll ever meet, and they often but not exclusively drive big lifted pickup trucks. Just vile bastards.

Now I feel better.

I'm a fey twinklord and get along with the rural rednecks pretty well. They're affable. Once you get out of DFW up in North Texas, you get into dueling banjo territory pretty fast but I had way more problems in San Marcos than up here. San Marcos is a shithole though. I'm white and regularly ran into problems with the whites there. Mexicans and blacks in Texas are chill.

My impression is that the biggest assholes are the upper-middle-class bougie pricks from the suburbs. But that comes from my experience working in retail.

Zwabu posted:

I can tell you where I live it's overwhelmingly right wingers, and even though everyone will probably vote for Cruz, he really isn't well liked and even a lot of rabid right wingers see him as a posturing phony piece of self aggrandizing poo poo. So he has a bit of Hillary type of problem where even some on his team who will vote for him have some personal antipathy or at least indifference/contempt towards him and this could affect his turnout in a close election.

But, being Texas, he'll probably win by 8-10, sigh.
The impression I get from my conservative family members is this. And yeah, he'll likely still win.

BrutalistMcDonalds fucked around with this message at 10:52 on Feb 19, 2018

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
This is ridiculously West Texas:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-M5vqQLCo1U

Some of the nicest people I've met have been from rural West Texas fyi. Big Spring and such (pronounced Big SPRANG). I had some friends from Panhandle, the town, which was in the Panhandle, the region. When people would ask where they were from, they'd say "Panhandle." Oh, where in the Panhandle? "Panhandle."

Really swell guys. I've also probably doxxed them since there are not many people from Panhandle, Panhandle.

BrutalistMcDonalds fucked around with this message at 11:01 on Feb 19, 2018

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
So uh haven't really followed Texas elections is there some sort of primer or summary of the primary candidates

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
San Marcos is fine

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo
Never forget the fundamental Conservative belief that all politicians are untrustworthy snakes and liars. When their guy is a piece of poo poo, he's conforming to their expectations.

Shortsighted, stupid, and selfish politicians are what Conservatives want, because that is what will advance the movement's longstanding goal of gutting government's ability to actually do things.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Calaveron posted:

So uh haven't really followed Texas elections is there some sort of primer or summary of the primary candidates

Put in your address here and it'll show you everyone who's on your ballot: https://www.vote411.org/

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
Do any of the incumbent Republicans have primary challengers that stand a chance to unseat them (and are less foul humans)? Considering the primary is the election, if there's someone better than Cruz, Abbott, Paxton, and Miller I'll vote in the Republican primary to move any of those turds out of office.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

JUST MAKING CHILI posted:

Do any of the incumbent Republicans have primary challengers that stand a chance to unseat them (and are less foul humans)? Considering the primary is the election, if there's someone better than Cruz, Abbott, Paxton, and Miller I'll vote in the Republican primary to move any of those turds out of office.

All of Cruz's challengers are attacking him from the right afaik

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

corn in the bible posted:

All of Cruz's challengers are attacking him from the right afaik

Smart move, Texas Republicans approve of Trump more than Cruz atm. Anyone going against Cruz in the primary should non-stop bring up his non-endorsement of Trump during the convention.

TropicalCoke
Feb 14, 2012

JUST MAKING CHILI posted:

Land Commissioner - Patterson is running against Bush and polling pretty well.

Speaking of, UT / Texas Tribune has a new poll out: https://www.texastribune.org/2018/02/19/uttt-poll-texas-republican-voters-remain-high-trump/

First impressions:
Abbott, Cruz, and Patrick look safe in their primaries
Bush could get eaten if we are so lucky
Cruz's unfavorable is still high
Nobody knows who Beto is, still

EDIT: Here's another poll/article https://www.texastribune.org/2018/02/19/uttt-poll-clear-sailing-abbott-patrick-uncertain-waters-bush-miller/

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

I have gotten at least three mailers from candidates for state representative who want to assure me that they want to end the practice of taking tax money from richer school districts and giving it to poorer ones. For the life of me I can't figure out what's so abhorrent about this, but then I've only been voting in the Republican primaries to vote against candidates, so I suppose I'm not really their intended audience.

I am also a little disconcerted to learn that one of the individuals running against Abbott in the primary legally changed his name to SECEDE, so that he would show up on the ballot as SECEDE Kilgore. :psyduck:

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

zonohedron posted:

I have gotten at least three mailers from candidates for state representative who want to assure me that they want to end the practice of taking tax money from richer school districts and giving it to poorer ones. For the life of me I can't figure out what's so abhorrent about this, but then I've only been voting in the Republican primaries to vote against candidates, so I suppose I'm not really their intended audience.

I am also a little disconcerted to learn that one of the individuals running against Abbott in the primary legally changed his name to SECEDE, so that he would show up on the ballot as SECEDE Kilgore. :psyduck:

Robin Hood sounds really good in theory but the way it works out is that many of the "richer" districts are still majority minority and full of poor kids who need funding too.

Austin ISD is 60% hispanic and 52% kids from low income households, and next year will be sending half of all revenue it collects to the state. An AISD teacher with a masters and 10 years experience makes less money than I do, and I've been working for less than two years.

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

Badger of Basra posted:

Robin Hood sounds really good in theory but the way it works out is that many of the "richer" districts are still majority minority and full of poor kids who need funding too.

Austin ISD is 60% hispanic and 52% kids from low income households, and next year will be sending half of all revenue it collects to the state. An AISD teacher with a masters and 10 years experience makes less money than I do, and I've been working for less than two years.

But then why would Republican candidates want to end the practice? :haw:

Seriously, though, that makes sense, thank you!

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008
Houston ISD is in a similar situation of being “property rich” but full of poor schools.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

VitalSigns posted:

NPR was parroting the business community line on this and it was outrageous. "Business owners treat their employees like family, they want to accommodate them when they're sick and this bill takes that tool away from them :qq:" uh what, the tool to force sick people to work or go without pay, why do they need that tool exactly?

E: requiring me to feed my kids is taking a tool out of my family's toolbox

I knew npr was kind of dumb but holy poo poo lol.

It's weird (but not at all surprising) to watch people wring their loving hands in angst over a policy that does so much public good at so little cost from an employer.

Good Job Austin! (please bring that poo poo to Harris county tia)

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

Old Plano, meet New Plano:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wIv_KBmjPeU
I'm a fey twinklord and get along with the rural rednecks pretty well. They're affable. Once you get out of DFW up in North Texas, you get into dueling banjo territory pretty fast but I had way more problems in San Marcos than up here. San Marcos is a shithole though. I'm white and regularly ran into problems with the whites there. Mexicans and blacks in Texas are chill.

My impression is that the biggest assholes are the upper-middle-class bougie pricks from the suburbs. But that comes from my experience working in retail.

Can confirm. I used to deliver pizza in Richardson and the biggest bastards, 100% of the time, were from the rich neighborhoods.

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo

Marxalot posted:

It's weird (but not at all surprising) to watch people wring their loving hands in angst over a policy that does so much public good at so little cost from an employer.

Da gubmint can't tell business owners what to do! They are THE KINGS OF AMERICA! The Conservatives won, so most progressives are just kinda getting ready to let the collapse of everything that we know as America happen so that we can negotiate the New New Deal for the 21st century. I wonder how many greedy people we can slap with a 100% tax margin?

Cyberpunkey Monkey fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Feb 20, 2018

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Comrayn posted:

Houston ISD is in a similar situation of being “property rich” but full of poor schools.

Conversely Deer Park ISD, back in the 80s anyway when I was there in elementary before moving to Sugar Land, was mad rich despite the city being decidedly blue collar. Half the place being oil refineries probably had a lot to do with that. Fort Bend, despite all the money there, was underfunded in comparison. Texas school funding was, is, and always will be all fuckered up without probably impossible changes to the state constitution.

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo

ReidRansom posted:

Texas school funding was, is, and always will be all fuckered up without probably impossible changes to the state constitution.

Mike Collier argues differently.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

osirisisdead posted:

Mike Collier argues differently.

I wish him best of luck. Sincerely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Syzygy Stardust
Mar 1, 2017

by R. Guyovich
Money has nothing to do with school quality, so I wouldn’t worry too much. Only student quality matters much to school quality.