Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

Do you guys wash your belt after every class? I have one belt so I wash it only once per week. I always wash my gis though of course.

Also, what do you pay attention to when watching a bjj match? I've been watching Polaris and it's hard to follow what's going on because it's so fast. Maybe it depends on the position the fighters are in...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

spb posted:

Do you guys wash your belt after every class?

Yes. Not washing your belt is nasty. If you even just throw it in the sink with some detergent and then rinse and hang in the shower overnight it will be dry so there's really no excuse not to.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

spb posted:

Do you guys wash your belt after every class? I have one belt so I wash it only once per week. I always wash my gis though of course.

Wash your goddamn belt after every class. It's not like belts are somehow immune to carrying staph and ringworm and sweat stink.

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

spb posted:

just do it in the sink

Nestharken
Mar 23, 2006

The bird of Hermes is my name, eating my wings to make me tame.

spb posted:

Yes, it's made of exactly the same stuff as the gi. I hate that the weird social hierarchy associated with the belt system means that I can't call a multi-stripe black belt an idiot when they get all superstitious about not washing their belt because they'll "lose their jiu-jitsu" or whatever. I got MRSA years before I started BJJ, and it was easily the worst pain I've ever felt; a friend also got it and nearly died (hospital stay, intravenous vancomycin, the whole shebang). People waxing sentimental about being proudly unhygienic is among my least favorite aspects of the hobby.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
EBI 15: The Featherweights is tonight in 30 minutes. Thought it was tomorrow and tonight was UFC fights but was wrong.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I just did a 3h seminar on the IJF 2018-2020 Judo rules which was run by a group of IJF Level-A referees who went to one of the official international conferences last month. I think that these changes, once explained in context of enforcement and rationale, are mostly improvements. The refs admitted that the "modern" judo rules are a work in progress.

Regarding the January adjustments and the questions that were raised earlier when those were released ...

1) Re:no strangles/armlocks while both players are standing. The flying arm bar is an unfortunate collateral casualty to this rule, and not its intention. The idea here is that a number of techniques - seio nage and sode tsurikomi goshi mostly - can result in dangerous entanglements for uke's elbow. Notably, most of the situations in which uke's elbow is threatened by these throws would not result in a good throw for tori anyway. This rule's purpose seems to be to give refs the authority to penalize players who go for poo poo techniques which threaten injury, eg attempting an ippon seio nage when uke's elbow is across the shoulder with the arm extended. That technique has a low likelihood of achieving a score, and a high likelihood of hyperextending uke's elbow with an explosive impact. They just cleared them out. The "both" standing is a key word - this means that rolling arm bar techniques, such as off of a tomoe nage or a sumi gaeshi are still fine and dandy, since tori enters ne waza before the arm bar is applied. Notably, 99% of successful competition "flying" arm bars are actually rolling arm bars.

In my mind this rule is analogous to MMA's more recent "do not extend the fingers towards the face" rule change - don't do thing which could hurt your opponent if things go in an unexpected direction.

2) The confusing sacrifice counter rule about "using the impact of the throw" is just a clarification of an old position. For a sacrifice counter to be valid, the countering player must take control of the technique before hitting the mat. If a player hits the mat and then takes control and gets some kind of throw, the player who landed is considered to have been thrown and everything else is follow up. This is mostly just common sense stuff and it's mostly about finding the language to codify it. It's not a real change.

3) The leg grabs from a grounded player to a standing player thing, in isolation, seems like a dumbshit rule. It kind of is, but it turns out that it's a necessary one to make a larger rule enforcement context work, namely that refs are now allowing players to transition from ground to standing without intervention, and that players who are standing are permitted to pick up and smash people who are on the ground, pretty much with impunity. Sounds dumb, right? Well this means that it should become much harder to stall a match by turtling, because you can still be thrown for ippon if your opponent has a continued grip. The rule has been added to make it so that a turtling player can't grab a leg to solidify that defensive shell against throws. The other layer to this is that the grounded player is now permitted to stand up and re-enter the standing fight without referee intervention, provided that there has been continuous grip, which was actually the subject of a whole bunch of arcane rules in the past. If the attacking player enters ne waza, then all leg grabs are fair game.

4) They quietly relaxed the definition of the leg grab. Under the 2016-2018 rules, if I executed a technique - such as a low outside leg hook - and my elbow hit your leg, I would receive a penalty. Now that only applies if the contacting arm has no grip. So, if I have a proper grip on your upper body with a given arm, my elbows and forearms from that arm can hit your thighs and legs with impunity and I don't risk penalty.

5) They've changed the language on the boundary rule again, though it's supposedly the same idea. I'm not going to get into it, but so much of it comes down to ref's discretion that the new rule should basically read "play stupid games; win stupid prizes." No player should be able to use out of bounds as a way of avoiding his opponent's technique without risking penalty; no player should be able to shove his opponent outside with the hope of drawing a shido. In practice, what this means is if a player wants to gently caress around on the edges and the corners, it might pay off, he's risking getting a shido which he didn't deserve. Stupid game: stupid prizes. I like it, and when I'm reffing, my intention is to award the shido in these situations to whoever looks more like he was trying to game the rules.

Any other questions? I'll do my best to answer them.

Dave Grool
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

CommonShore posted:

The refs admitted that the "modern" judo rules are a work in progress.

I took this picture at the Kodokan museum. Grappling competition rules have and always will be a mess.

link for big version

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Cummings withdrew from EBI at the last minute and some guy I've never heard of from RGA is filling in.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

I'm significantly less hype now that Eddie is out

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

JaySB posted:

I'm significantly less hype now that Eddie is out

I don't even see Danaher in Calestine's corner...

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

CommonShore posted:

Cummings withdrew from EBI at the last minute and some guy I've never heard of from RGA is filling in.

Goddamn it

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Been some excellent hugfights so far.

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

Dave Grool posted:

I took this picture at the Kodokan museum. Grappling competition rules have and always will be a mess.

link for big version

looks like my college notes

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Is nobody else watching EBI? There has been two sick heel hooks, a crazy calf slicer, a flying triangle, a hail-mary last-minute arm bar, and an overtime round which went almost into back stage.

In the first round.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

CommonShore posted:

Is nobody else watching EBI? There has been two sick heel hooks, a crazy calf slicer, a flying triangle, a hail-mary last-minute arm bar, and an overtime round which went almost into back stage.

In the first round.

yeah I'm watching, its been pretty cool so far

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Watcha think of that

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

CommonShore posted:

In the first round.

I'm

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

That was a tap

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Rigel posted:

That was a tap

Yeah. what seemed ambiguous to me is that it didn't look like a terribly deep sub. I wonder if the guy was screwing around in some kind of poo poo game and won a poo poo prize.

Calestine is proving a pretty good substitute for Cummings.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

CommonShore posted:

Yeah. what seemed ambiguous to me is that it didn't look like a terribly deep sub. I wonder if the guy was screwing around in some kind of poo poo game and won a poo poo prize.

Calestine is proving a pretty good substitute for Cummings.

Seems unlikely that he'd play games this close to the final. I bet he thought he was caught and realized too late that he wasn't, and tried to take back the tap but the video caught it.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

This fight is loving awesome.

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

That was epic...

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I can't think of a more entertaining or dramatic grappling match

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

This final will be interesting. Geo looks gassed and Celestine will be coming in much fresher.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

They're sure giving Geo a long break here. 14 minute match and what feels like 15 minutes of commercials.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Man, what a performance by Calestine

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

more like Jon Coolenstein :coolfish:

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
Glad that the sub won. Love see that happen

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Holy poo poo he's basically Matt Serra

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

So he dislocated his shoulder and he won? Wow

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

What's the best way to watch this?

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

L0cke17 posted:

What's the best way to watch this?

Fightpass. You can get a free month if you've never signed up, and then you can cancel.

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

Had a jiu-jitsu dream last night where I was in mount in nogi and going to a submission. My unconscious state chose the Ezekiel choke first but it wasn't working so then was attempting arm triangle choke but woke up.

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I need something stronger.

If you tap in a dream, do you tap in real life?

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Hit an interesting positional line of questioning today at Sunday Morning Chill Rolls

Imagine a Z-guard position with player A top and player B bottom - feet closed to lock the hip. Size/skill equal.

1) If player B does not have control of player A's arms or upper body, can player B prevent player A from standing and returning to a standing guard pass position?

2) Strategically speaking, if player B initiated the position, is there any good reason for player A to remain in that position rather than stand up and return to a standing guard pass position? (the assumption being that if player B initiated the position, he's confident enough in his z-guard game to feel he has a tactical advantage in that position)

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

CommonShore posted:

Hit an interesting positional line of questioning today at Sunday Morning Chill Rolls

Imagine a Z-guard position with player A top and player B bottom - feet closed to lock the hip. Size/skill equal.

1) If player B does not have control of player A's arms or upper body, can player B prevent player A from standing and returning to a standing guard pass position?

2) Strategically speaking, if player B initiated the position, is there any good reason for player A to remain in that position rather than stand up and return to a standing guard pass position? (the assumption being that if player B initiated the position, he's confident enough in his z-guard game to feel he has a tactical advantage in that position)

1) depending on ruleset, player b has to be more concerned with heel hooks. But I digress. Without some form of attachment by B, player A can most definitely stand up to work and open guard pass/game. (I think? Depending on the amount of pressure you can generate with the knee, it might be difficult to just stand up.)

2) if player A is confident in his ability to to smash pass, they might prefer to work passes from z guard. At the end of the day, z guard is a half guard variant, so guy on top is in the superior position. Standing up resets things to a more neutral position.

So how horribly wrong am I on this?

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

I think you can only stand if you can make them uncross their feet, first. And if they curl their toes around your bottom leg, you can't stand either (at least not easily):

In the top image he's keeping his top leg unclamped to show details, but the top knee would be clamped down hard. Craig Jones uses both interchangably depending on what he's doing, Lachlan Giles always does the toe-curl because he uses a higher knee position.

WayneCampbell
Oct 7, 2005
You got me a gunrack?!? I don't even own a gun, let alone alone enough to nessecitate an entire rack.
I have a concept question. How do I effectively control the opponet's bottom leg from top half?

Ever since I saw a Neil Melanson video where he mentioned the importance of this I've been trying to play around with the idea of it but haven't really stumbled across a method for dominating that leg and I can't really find any videos discussing it. If I don't immediately attempt to smash or pass they're able to use that leg way too easily.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

WayneCampbell posted:

I have a concept question. How do I effectively control the opponet's bottom leg from top half?

Sit on it, quite literally, the farther up the leg you can get the better.