Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Oh hell yeah that’s with the dance sequence, right? Sexy as hell and an amazing villainous moment.

Currently checking out This Close, Sundance’s new show about deaf people. It’s good!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Sinteres posted:

"You know what would make this mysterious old badass a million times better? Waiting until he's even older and stripping away every bit of mystery."

Better Call Saul is in the odd position of being so much better than Breaking Bad whenever Jimmy is on screen that it's amazing they come from the same production team and so much worse than Breaking Bad whenever Mike and the cameo gang roll up that it's amazing they come from... Well, you get the idea.

Nacho is cool though but that's because his actor basically ejaculates charisma from every pore.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Escobarbarian posted:

Oh hell yeah that’s with the dance sequence, right? Sexy as hell and an amazing villainous moment.

I was talking more about the ending where she gives him the scariest lap dance in existence

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Rarity posted:

I just watched Legion ep 6 and Aubrey Plaza is both an amazing actress and the hottest woman on the planet, god drat :stare:

Have you seen her throw and catch a ball... it's very..... attractive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ABVQYlBSCiw

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

baseball is the least sexy thing in the world

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

PriorMarcus posted:

Nacho is cool though but that's because his actor basically ejaculates charisma from every pore.
I have never once seen Michael Mando in something I didn't love him in.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

FactsAreUseless posted:

I have never once seen Michael Mando in something I didn't love him in.

Dude rules.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GGn7FrM0nxQ

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Watching Everything Sucks and I can't not see Dustin from Stranger Things in the main actresses face.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Rarity posted:

I was talking more about the ending where she gives him the scariest lap dance in existence

I recommend seeing Ingrid Goes West if you haven't already.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Maxwell Lord posted:

I recommend seeing Ingrid Goes West if you haven't already.

This was not the fun crazy romp I was expecting :smith:

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
After catching up on Waco I decided to finally give The Path a try since I was hungry for more cult-focused television. It's alright, especially Hugh Dancy playing a mix between David Miscavige and Kirk Cameron, but I'm disappointed that the intro and religious material seems to be going for really bland aspiratial/corporate artwork aesthetic because actual crazy cult artwork is some of my favorite things.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
I gave up on the Path because the cult seemed really weak and boring. Not enough dark underbelly, just hippie and self-help stuff.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I binged the first two seasons of the Path last year and like... it was ok, but I really don't feel compelled to go in for S3. There's plenty of dark underbelly of the cult, especially if you read into a lot of implied stuff like covering up that the founder molested the leader as a kid or that the huge reserve of blackmail material was there for a reason. But they seemed set on playing loosely with the idea of "eh, maybe its real" and seem to have gone in that direction with the end of S2 so I'm just kinda "eh, I'm not super interested in the way this story is going."

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Guy Mann posted:

After catching up on Waco I decided to finally give The Path a try since I was hungry for more cult-focused television.

The best cult-focused TV show is season 2 of Helix.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I couldn't manage to finish S2 of Helix.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Hakkesshu posted:

baseball is the least sexy thing in the world

It ain't bad when you're doing it in booty shorts.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
I couldn't even finish S1 of Helix.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Helix S1 had so much crazy poo poo going on that made no sense that I kind of stuck through to see if it all tied up in any kind of satisfying or entertaining way. Then S2 just threw S1 away and had its own nonsensical crazy poo poo and I just decided it wasn't worth a second go around.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

S2 of Helix had that pretty fun twist in the first episode where it was revealed at the end that things you were seeing weren't happening at the same time.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Lycus posted:

I gave up on the Path because the cult seemed really weak and boring. Not enough dark underbelly, just hippie and self-help stuff.

I'm only wrapping up the first season but I think having watched Leah Remini's show is actually making me appreciate it more since I can recognize what's lifted from scientology and what isn't and how they manage to use the same principals of manipulation and social pressure despite being an institution that is several orders of magnitude smaller than the CoS.

But yeah, visually it's all pretty boring. Even if they needed to conspicuously distance themselves from Scientology's bombast they could have done something more like Eckankar and the ECK Masters or The Universe People instead of a credit union waiting room mixed with a conspicuously nondenominational yoga studio.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, its really obvious that "Meyerism" in the Path is a transparent Scientology stand in, which is what initially drew me in. It just isn't really saying anything about Scientology, doesn't have much interesting to say about its own cult, and even sorta seemed to be headed towards justifying it. Which honestly plays kinda icky when you built the cult on the parallels with Scientology.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

I like the first two seasons of The Path but this season has been pretty much hot garbage. I liked the idea of Eddie pulling himself away from the cult and seeing it for what it was. Now that he's back in and is Xenu embodied it's a lot less interesting to me.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
This discussion is making me pretty glad I bailed on that show halfway through season 1.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Helix was one of those shows that was like... "Yo, we are going to be cancelled for sure, crank it to 11.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

McSpanky posted:

It ain't bad when you're doing it in booty shorts.

Booty shorts are irrelevant when the booty is lacking

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
Watching Electric Dreams.

Episode 2:

Why would anyone shut down the Autofac? Are they suicidal control freaks? They're robots. They pretend-eat. They pretend-reproduce. What are they going to do without the Autofac? It'd be like a real human turning the environment off.

Edit: It owns and is up on Amazon Prime, btw

Accretionist fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Feb 18, 2018

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
The Joel McHale Show is just what I wanted. And yet again he gets to rip on his network at length.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I hate "Everything Sucks!"

In the first 5 minutes I think I heard like a dozen 90s pop songs. Why can't these shows shut the gently caress up.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Mu Zeta posted:

I hate "Everything Sucks!"

In the first 5 minutes I think I heard like a dozen 90s pop songs. Why can't these shows shut the gently caress up.

As I said in the thread, it's not better - and no worse - than Reality Bites or Empire Records. It takes the 90s at face value, which even My So-Called Life didn't.

I graduated high school in '93 and I feel like it's a show that only people who are way younger than me, or who are as old as me but fondly remember all the pop culture poo poo of the 90s without any of the undercurrent, will enjoy. It's the filmic equivalent of the person at your high school reunion who unironically dances when the DJ plays "Two Princes". The tone is just way off.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

END ME SCOOB posted:

The Joel McHale Show is just what I wanted. And yet again he gets to rip on his network at length.

[drum sound effect plays]

I guess I should have realized that Netflix wanted it to use as a promotional tool for their series, but it’s not 100% Netflix promos so I’m okay with it.

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Feb 18, 2018

radlum
May 13, 2013
It was basically The Soup but with Netflix jokes instead of E! jokes. I enjoyed it just fine; I hope we get some callbacks to The Soup

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Helix season 1 was incredible

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I'm reading an article about 2018's pilots and man, ABC has a LOT of cop shows on the docket. 8 shows that are either straight up cop shows or cop adjacent (private detective or CIA agent.)

Also Fox is developing a show based on the Justin Cronin novel The Passage but apparently they're only doing the prologue and not following through with the rest of the story?

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I get this funky high on the yellow sun.

radlum posted:

It was basically The Soup but with Netflix jokes instead of E! jokes. I enjoyed it just fine; I hope we get some callbacks to The Soup

Well we did get One-Piece Man in a stinger scene, so hopefully more to come.

Also the closing credit song was phenomenal.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Cael posted:

Well we did get One-Piece Man in a stinger scene, so hopefully more to come.

Also the closing credit song was phenomenal.

I loved the song as it's the truest lyrics ever.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

precision posted:

As I said in the thread, it's not better - and no worse - than Reality Bites or Empire Records. It takes the 90s at face value, which even My So-Called Life didn't.

From the trailer, I was super worried it was going to be too much forced ‘remember this’ stuff. The worst kind being the ‘have you heard of this thing called the internet? I bet it’ll never take off! Wink wink’ kind and I hope the show avoids that.

The difference between a show about the 90s and one made in the 90s is we now get to cherry pick the references from a decade, knowing it won’t be stuff that was forgotten in the void. So every 10 seconds you can talk about something that was so huge everyone still has the memory, rather than being like ‘what was that?’ because it never caused a lasting impression.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
"The map is not the territory" applies to comedy. "The reference is not the joke." Too much of Everything Sucks is simply "here's a thing, now laugh", like the Internet scene in the trailer.

I don't begrudge anyone's enjoyment of it but woof it is not for me

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

muscles like this! posted:

I'm reading an article about 2018's pilots and man, ABC has a LOT of cop shows on the docket. 8 shows that are either straight up cop shows or cop adjacent (private detective or CIA agent.)

Also Fox is developing a show based on the Justin Cronin novel The Passage but apparently they're only doing the prologue and not following through with the rest of the story?

People like what they like. Cops and doctors.

2016 was time travel.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

Rhyno posted:

People like what they like. Cops and doctors.

2016 was time travel.

Next year: Time-traveling cops and doctors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

DaveWoo posted:

Next year: Time-traveling cops

Well, Jean-Claude Van Johnson was cancelled, so Van Damme is free...