Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
you haev no control over the end users linux => its gonna be broke for some users anyways => gently caress it use the latest and greatest its not like it was gonna work for everyone anyways

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Sapozhnik posted:

contrary to what some linux touchers might believe though operating system design was not perfected in the 1980s, nor do people use computers the way they were used in the 1980s, nor do people have the same expectation of computers that they had in the 1980s. i appreciate fd.o and gnome and systemd for their thankless efforts to drag this poo poo userbase into the 21st century kicking and screaming every inch of the way.

i think we can all agree that poo poo was not perfected in the 1980s

however, people do use computers the way they did in the 1980s, and many 1980s expectations are still intact. you cannot disregard all the 1980 to present use cases that are inconvenient to implement, and expect to take the userbase with you

life doesn't work that way

agonizing compromise over incremental improvement is the default setting in all human affairs

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Sapozhnik posted:

and i would like to replace my desktop pc's windows installation with linux. unfortunately one of the things i do with that desktop pc is play video games, which is the only thing that keeps windows 7 on it.

i just don't play any games that don't work on linux

problem solved

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

i just don't play any games that don't work on linux

problem solved

wise guy eh?

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Helicity posted:

i wish someone would port my favorite games to systemd

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

one of the big complaints about windows 10 was "where's my all programs menu in the start menu"

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

however, people do use computers the way they did in the 1980s, and many 1980s expectations are still intact. you cannot disregard all the 1980 to present use cases that are inconvenient to implement, and expect to take the userbase with you

agonizing compromise over incremental improvement is the default setting in all human affairs

the first wormable computer virus was the Morris worm from 1988. computer security is drastically different from how it used to be, especially with the move away from the "workstation" to the "personal computer" with the widespread success Windows in the 90s.

people don't use computers the way they did in the 1980s.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

hifi posted:

one of the big complaints about windows 10 was "where's my all programs menu in the start menu"

right here???? that's the default view of the win10 start menu.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

hifi posted:

are you talking about nontechnicals

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

windows, icons, menus, and pointers still exist.

there are important use cases where command line interfaces are still the superior human-computer interaction mechanism despite what Apple and Microsoft thought in the 80s and 90s.

other than that, no.

in the 80s (or at least the 70s) computers were a shared and centrally managed resource with dedicated administrators responsible for managing them. chunks of the system bus were not ripped out on the fly and replaced with other things. computer networks were fixed and explicitly configured. all computing resources were confined within an organizational perimiter, and that organization had disciplinary power over any users who attempted to subvert them or otherwise misbehaved.

none of these things hold any more and this has massive consequences for the design of computer systems at every level. particularly that last thing. the modern computing landscape was built by libertarians, and so that computing landscape was realized as a perfect libertarian hellscape where everybody lives in an armored fortress peeking out from iron slits at their similarly-armed neighbours. organized bands of marauders roam the landscape and if one of them blasts down your door with mortar fire and steals everything inside, well, it's you who was stupid enough not to keep up with the onerous cycle of maintenance on your armored dwelling.

Sapozhnik fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Feb 18, 2018

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge

Suspicious Dish posted:

right here???? that's the default view of the win10 start menu.
nice piss yellow start menu full of disorganized poo poo you got there

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
you'd love my actual desktop then

pram
Jun 10, 2001
im ummm... guy_fieri.jpg

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I'm a Friend of Rodney Nano
im jeff.png

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

im we are number one music video

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

I’m one of the clifford ones, but I won’t tell you which one

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Suspicious Dish posted:

this is violence

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

what is wrong with you?

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

Suspicious Dish posted:

horizontal taskbar :barf:

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

horizontal taskbar :barf:

what is wrong with you

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

cinci zoo sniper posted:

what is wrong with you

the only reason to have the taskbar horizontally is to read window titles, and those haven't been a thing since windows vista.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

cinci zoo sniper posted:

what is wrong with you

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
also please pin your work applications to your taskbar. that way you can just WinKey+number to start or switch to your application instead of using the start menu/desktop shortcuts and alt-tabbing like an animal

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

the only reason to have the taskbar horizontally is to read window titles, and those haven't been a thing since windows vista.

have you used windows since vista?

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

cinci zoo sniper posted:

have you used windows since vista?

do you see window titles in the taskbar in the screenshot?

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

if you're going to get mad, post yours

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

Suspicious Dish posted:

some of those icons must have been there a long time given Pangya shut down a couple years ago

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

carry on then posted:

if you're going to get mad, post yours

link

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

:razz:

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

so you learned how taskbar works yet, bud?

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
if you mean wrongly, then no

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Sapozhnik posted:

in the 80s (or at least the 70s) computers were a shared and centrally managed resource with dedicated administrators responsible for managing them.

this is still an every-day problem for me at work at my current job, and, you know, all the jobs i had before. multi-user is a thing.

pretending it is not a thing is just sticking your head in the ground

it's true that many new needs and uses have appeared in the last four decades, but that does not mean the prior needs and uses went away. every use case that has ever existed still exists, and people are still paying to fill it

often the mode and the price change significantly (shared word processing w/ sharepoint instead of wang; CAD on windows instead of a unix workstation) but the use case remains the same

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Suspicious Dish posted:

i'm meirl.jpg

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

I, for one, welcome our new mouse overlords.

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

this is still an every-day problem for me at work at my current job, and, you know, all the jobs i had before. multi-user is a thing.

Haven't we already established that your employer uses an absurdly atypical environment in order to work around having the world's biggest shitpile of legacy C++ outside of Redmond, WA?

pram
Jun 10, 2001
lol

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Fiedler posted:

Haven't we already established that your employer uses an absurdly atypical environment in order to work around having the world's biggest shitpile of legacy C++ outside of Redmond, WA?

i've never worked anywhere that didn't have multi-user unix

sorry not everyplace is a startup with two-user ruby codebases

moonshine is......
Feb 21, 2007

Suspicious Dish posted:

missing a good conky setup imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames