Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967
Your wife tastes like donuts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I heard All-Star Weekend was bad this year but the last page of this thread has been entertaining so I don't know who to believe

The dunk contest was p good imo.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

BWV posted:

JJ Reddick needs to sit down with Stephon Marbury and Yao before Sino-American relationships are tainted forever.

JJ works it out where Yao fires him from a massive T-shirt gun into a bowl of ramen. Crisis averted.

edit- a tiny, Chinese bowl of ramen

Anals of History
Jul 29, 2003

I imagine JJ's also having to deal with the counter-backlash online and a whole bunch of new allies sticking up for him that he never wanted.

Athanatos posted:

Your wife tastes like donuts

This is hilarious, though. Donuts is the new Honey Nut Cheerios.

Paperback Writer
May 1, 2006

Jota posted:

let those among us who have not accidentally said a racial slur in a video honoring that group of people throw the first stone

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Jota posted:

let those among us who have not accidentally said a racial slur in a video honoring that group of people throw the first stone

Well Mark Wahlberg did ok yesterday

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Im still pissed that Khaled got shook after giving the Nance dunk a 9 and started giving everyone 10's instead

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
gently caress Mark Wahlberg forever and gently caress whoever decided to invite his piece of poo poo rear end.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

cisneros posted:

That's a layup, maybe she can dunk in practice?

Have you even watched basketball before

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

Dexo posted:

gently caress Mark Wahlberg forever and gently caress whoever decided to invite his piece of poo poo rear end.

Agreed. I hate that motherfucker.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man
Here is seven minutes of old man vince dunking on people

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dq3vlkRXgrw

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP

Dexo posted:

What if it was his good friend, Jimmy Butler, the basketball player?

cisneros
Apr 18, 2006

3 DONG HORSE posted:

Have you even watched basketball before

what makes you think that's a dunk

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Strawberry Panda posted:

What if it was his good friend, Jimmy Butler, the basketball player?

gently caress him too

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

cisneros posted:

She grabs the rim and it snaps down, any other goofy questions? It's a dunk! Don't dunkshame her

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

dokmo posted:

Here is seven minutes of old man vince dunking on people

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dq3vlkRXgrw

I still can't quite process that somehow Vince Carter is pretty much the oldest player in the league and combining solid old man play with the occasional murderdunk.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Chairchucker posted:

The dunk contest was p good imo.

If Aaron Gordon vs. Zach Lavine 2016 was a 10 what was this one

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/MarcJSpearsESPN/status/965357628544057344

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

cisneros posted:

she grabbed the rim dude

here is a link with more examples, from the goat himself:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kCirjsNRXts

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Also need to add the followers of KD's burner accounts

cisneros
Apr 18, 2006

3 DONG HORSE posted:

she grabbed the rim dude
Well, the Blake Griffin/ Dwight Howard type dunks where they don't touch the rim are absolutely dunks, the important part is throwing down the ball from above the rim, and Leslie lets the ball go before grabbing the rim. Plenty of women can dunk just fine nowadays, I just don't like such an iffy one having attention. Speaking of that, this made me remember Candance Parker, and just found out she already divorced Shelden Williams :(

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Also need to add the followers of KD's burner accounts

It's probably just his other burner accounts.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

i just don't have it in me to watch the all star game nonsense basketball unless they bring out washington generals exhibition basketball legend "Cager"

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

Reddick used a racial slur in a chinese New Year promotion

https://streamable.com/rfjc6

What is the plausible explanation here, JJ straight ignorant?

It looks like he started to say "I want to thank the NBA fans of Chinese {coming out as chenese}," but realized that was the wrong and his cutting off of the word made a 'nguhh 'sound, then he restated what he meant to say, "NBA fans of China"

Call it a freudian slip or whatever you like but I would guess that if i had a real time feed of his internal monologue that would be what happened.

Probably could have been edited and fixed, but you gotta pump out that #content as fast as possible

Dejan Bimble fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Feb 19, 2018

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

The all Star game will be worth it just to see giannis actually playing defense and rejecting someone who didn't come to play.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Rick posted:

No, he's scoring in the paint because the Lakers create open shots for him there or catch him cherry picking on the break. You don't lead the league in pace by posting up point guards and he's definitely not breaking players down off the dribble. And if no one else thinks a random collection of % stats is less important than how bad he is at one of the primary roles of a point guard in the NBA today (and is supposed to be a large part of the Lakers offense) then I'm cool with that.

He's not "excellent" defensively, he's slightly above average. He's getting teams to play slightly better with him on the floor, but they aren't playing well. There's not a lot of difference between his affect on the team and Josh Hart's (ignoring the fact that the Lakers went 11-3 during the period where they gave Josh Hart the same minutes as Ball). I mean I like Josh Hart a lot, but I'd still rather gamble on Fultz being better than Josh Hart in two years, which is what the whole point of this conversation to begin with.

Lonzo Ball is ranked EIGHTY-SIXTH of Ninety-Nine qualifying point guards in oRPM
But he's 4th in DRPM for pgs, which is great for a pg, but also points to his role, which is crashing the boards while another guard or wing is where a normal pg would be.

He is a weird player, who doesn't fit the mold of a contemporary pg, like Rubio, but he is not "like" Rubio. They play the game differently, Rubio pre-injury had much more potential. Unless Lonzo can relearn how to shoot and make those long off the dribble threes, then his entire game will open up and he'll be a net positive instead of almost the worst offensive pg in the NBA.

Poor Frank Nicotine. He's really a George Hill type, he passed the ball by using his good for a euro athleticism and creating openings, he hasn't been able to do that, he's kind of stuck in no man's land, passive scorer, passive passer, and the Knicks trading for Mudiay is an acknowledgement of that

De'Aaron Fox also being on that list shows how hard it is to be a rookie pg, how bad Sacramento is, and how tough it is to contribute when your pg can't shoot.

To reiterate, Lonzo Ball will be a positive NBA player if he relearns to shoot threes off the dribble. That is the skeleton key to above average NBA offense. If you can do that, everything else is much much easier. Think of how sloppy Steph Curry was as a passer, in pre-draft, people were calling him a 6'4 sg, but he's been able to create so many windows for guys because of the threat of his shooting that he's grown into a really good if overaggressive passer.

Dejan Bimble fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Feb 19, 2018

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

R.D. Mangles posted:

i just don't have it in me to watch the all star game nonsense basketball unless they bring out washington generals exhibition basketball legend "Cager"

Theoretically couldn't they use the midget globetrotter in the NBA and make him a foul generating machine?

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Dejan Bimble posted:

Lonzo Ball is ranked EIGHTY-SIXTH of Ninety-Nine qualifying point guards in oRPM

Overall his RPM is really good though, for the situation. If you're hitting him for the Offensive part of it, it's not fair not to give him credit for a higher RPM than Dragic, Reggie Jackson, Clarkson... You talk about being a net positive, but on RPM he is! There is a lot of cherry picking stats (Ignore RPM, only look at ORPM! Ignore production ONLY look at P&R stats!) to try to tell this narrative. Being a rookie PG is really tough and Lonzo has been playing alright. Everyone who knew how players develop knew he was going to be a project, and so far he's been doing pretty decent.

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

Okay, I'll admit it took me a bit to get into it... But I think I kinda love this!! I'm Spider-Man!! I'm actually Spider-Man!! HA!

Dejan Bimble posted:

It looks like he started to say "I want to thank the NBA fans of Chinese {coming out as chenese}," but realized that was the wrong and his cutting off of the word made a 'nguhh 'sound, then he restated what he meant to say, "NBA fans of China"

Call it a freudian slip or whatever you like but I would guess that if i had a real time feed of his internal monologue that would be what happened.

Probably could have been edited and fixed, but you gotta pump out that #content as fast as possible

There's like 3 options and none of them make a whole lot of sense

1) JJ Redick had some really weird tongue twister which made him say something very close to a racial slur (but didn't realize what he said sounded like a racial slur)

2) JJ Redick does not know that the slur is a slur

3) JJ Redick is a really stupid racist who thinks saying this is fine

#1 is the most likely, I guess??

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
JJ Redick intentionally saying a slur directed towards the people he's wishing happy new year to in an official video is not an option. He wouldn't do it. You'd have to be stupid, in fact, to think he'd do it.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

jackofarcades posted:

There's like 3 options and none of them make a whole lot of sense

1) JJ Redick had some really weird tongue twister which made him say something very close to a racial slur (but didn't realize what he said sounded like a racial slur)

2) JJ Redick does not know that the slur is a slur

3) JJ Redick is a really stupid racist who thinks saying this is fine

#1 is the most likely, I guess??

#1 isn't that weird unless you've never stuttered in your life or tripped over words. He started saying "NBA Chinese fans", realized 2 syllables in that he was supposed to say "NBA Fans from China" and stuttered. "NBA Chink fans from China" would be a super weird turn of phrase if you are trying to be racist or if you don't know its a slur, so its likely it wasn't what he meant to say.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
please change the thread title to "Your wife tastes like donuts"

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967
I am in shock how much everything around the ASG is awful this year. Lets hope the game is better.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

JJ Redick is really good friends with a guy who was on the same high school team as another guy who called some half Chinese kid a chink during a junior high basketball tournament

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Lockback posted:

#1 isn't that weird unless you've never stuttered in your life or tripped over words. He started saying "NBA Chinese fans", realized 2 syllables in that he was supposed to say "NBA Fans from China" and stuttered. "NBA Chink fans from China" would be a super weird turn of phrase if you are trying to be racist or if you don't know its a slur, so its likely it wasn't what he meant to say.

More likely Racist McRacism kept saying to himself in his head "don't say chink don't say chink don't say chink" over and over again before overloading his brain and slipping

de curry GOAT
Oct 23, 2005

WhyteRyce posted:

JJ Redick is really good friends with a guy who was on the same high school team as another guy who called some half Chinese kid a chink during a junior high basketball tournament

it's a term of endearment where I'm from! -JJ, probably

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
J.J. Reddick somehow ending up experiencing an IRL Larry David moment is somehow appropriate.

Dejan Bimble posted:

To reiterate, Lonzo Ball will be a positive NBA player if he relearns to shoot threes off the dribble. That is the skeleton key to above average NBA offense. If you can do that, everything else is much much easier. Think of how sloppy Steph Curry was as a passer, in pre-draft, people were calling him a 6'4 sg, but he's been able to create so many windows for guys because of the threat of his shooting that he's grown into a really good if overaggressive passer.

I will agree with that, I think he's going to be around a long time/welcomed starter if he learns to shoot, and he does have a history of being a successful shooter so him learning to shoot isn't as unrealistic as players learning to shoot apparently is as Dokmo taught us (which really drills home how lucky Danny Ainge has been the last two drafts).

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Hahahahah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Rick posted:

J.J. Reddick somehow ending up experiencing an IRL Larry David moment is somehow appropriate.

J.J.'s Tourette's Awareness Month is off to a good start

• Locked thread