Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

HexiDave posted:

Hm, I've built from VS 2017 - wonder if it's pissed about another dependency I'm not thinking of. I'll have to build a proper installer this week. Just to make sure, dnlib.dll, BootstrapLib.dll, and the Mods folder are all in Subnautica\Subnautica_Data\Managed, and AssemblyPatcher.exe is running from the root Subnautica directory?

Figured it out! Yes, it's Windows Defender being pissy.

https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/br...exception-from/

TL;DR hit Properties on the ZIP and click 'Unblock' before extracting so the files don't have magic 'downloaded from the internet' cooties associated with them by Windows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HexiDave
Mar 20, 2009

feedmegin posted:

TL;DR hit Properties on the ZIP and click 'Unblock' before extracting so the files don't have magic 'downloaded from the internet' cooties associated with them by Windows.

Nice, thanks for investigating. Yeah, this should go away once I get a proper installer sorted. Maybe I'll do that tonight if I have time. I need to overhaul the Patcher into a proper application anyways.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

so I guess that was the deep grand reef I ran through last nightthis morning where i found the last degasi base? how are people coming up with the names of places outside of the wiki, I wouldn't have called that a reef, more of a spoopy deathzone

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
They never say “Ewok” in Return of the Jedi.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Yeah, none of the zones are named in-game because who would even name them? There's no map!

They all come from communication with the devs during early access.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

I call them as I see them.

The spooky forest, blue ball zone, floaty ball zone, spooky ghost river and hell.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

If you press F1 you get a pop-up window some dev stuff in it. It displays your coordinates and the name of the zone you're in. :ssh:

Comrade Koba fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Feb 18, 2018

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

feedmegin posted:

Aha, that probably explains why I didn't have any issue after dnlib was bundled but you and that Russian guy did. I use 7-Zip and it probably doesn't maintain that stupid flag Windows throws on downloaded files.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Subnautica is getting modding?

Now I'm gonna wait for a dope modding scene.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Turtlicious posted:

Subnautica is getting modding?

Now I'm gonna wait for a dope modding scene.

Well, more that subnautica is being modded whether the devs want it or not, I think.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

OwlFancier posted:

Well, more that subnautica is being modded whether the devs want it or not, I think.

That's how the best modding scenes get started. Like Minecraft was actively obfuscated with every update and you'd just have people 6 hours later with everything hooked up into their weird lovecraftian magic hell system.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Turtlicious posted:

weird lovecraftian magic hell system.

-every code base i've ever worked on, 2018

Finally found the last modification station fragment by building an outpost near a thermal vent by the fore port of the Aurora and scanning for fragments. gently caress's sake that was convoluted, but at least now I have a proper charging station rather than one driven by solar and rotted fish.

Can I have more than one thermal plant by a vent to transmit more power, or does one plant max it out?

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Stack all you want, as long as there's enough space for them to fit and still be warmed by the vent.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Mrenda posted:

I've just built the seamoth. And like everything about this game it's filling me with fear. I'm can't drive in real life, why would I have control over a speedy depthy machine in a life or death situation. What if I crash it? What if it floats away? What if monsters attack it and strand me miles from home? This game ain't good for my heart rate.

This game starts out spooky but by the end, you're so accustomed to it all that even Leviathans become a minor, mostly ignorable nuisance that you occasionally need to roll your eyes at and swat away.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Faaaantastic.

Now that I'm kitted out time to go looking for prawn drill arm fragments because gently caress me i need copperrrrrrrrrrr

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Vargs posted:

This game starts out spooky but by the end, you're so accustomed to it all that even Leviathans become a minor, mostly ignorable nuisance that you occasionally need to roll your eyes at and swat away.

Also if you can find a motivational poster to see on your way to another dive, that really helps

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012

Vargs posted:

Absolutely. I had to restart my game due to computer problems and what took me maybe eight hours of nerves first time around I had managed in three hours of casualness the second time. It's been said elsewhere that a lot of this game is about mastering the situations you're exposed to and your own nerves through simple experience and exploration. Each new area brings you back to being filled with fear and anxiety, but soon you're swimming around without too much issue. It's a very refreshing approach to a game where your experience as a player stands to you rather than any in game achievement.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Just making sure, the LOD/popin is really amazingly bad for everyone in this game, right? Nothing on my compy is broken?

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

Ciaphas posted:

Just making sure, the LOD/popin is really amazingly bad for everyone in this game, right? Nothing on my compy is broken?

Yep, everyone has those problems.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
You should just make a repair tool to be permanently stored in your sea moth. As long as it doesn't get completely wrecked by something you can always repair it on the go.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Ciaphas posted:

Except I've run out of guidance from the radio and I haven't a sodding clue where to explore next. :(

Go to the deepest degrassi habitat you've found so far...

And then go deeper.

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon

Ciaphas posted:

Theres a fix if you google but its very demanding on your machine (I wonder if it would work at all in vr)

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Radio Free Kobold posted:

For how crucial it is, the modification station really ought to be a more common bit of loot.

You also get it as part of the Degrassi storyline, no need to scan fragments.

Mrenda posted:

What if I crash it? What if it floats away? What if monsters attack it and strand me miles from home? This game ain't good for my heart rate.

A ghost reaper in the lost river/lava zone boundary stole my seamoth and trapped it underground and stranded me a kilometer from the nearest source of oxygen. It was very stressful! It hurt me pretty bad in the process too.

I actually managed to build and power a base before I ran out of air, planted a melon and bulboa seed so long term hunger/thirst are taken care of, thermoblade cooked fish to prevent myself from dying of thirst until they matured, and am now... well, I'm not really entirely sure what I'm going to do next, hahah! I'm just sort of slowly expanding the base and my farm.

I'll figure it out though. I think someone said if you build multiple air tanks you can swap them out for extra time? That might need to be what I end up doing.

I've actually got a scanner room with a bioreactor set up at the tiny alien research facility near the ancient skeleton that I used to find some nickel, which is pretty far from where I am, but if I bring some biomass I could power that up as a waypoint and maybe reach the surface from there.

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Feb 18, 2018

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

I can't wait until we mod U-boats into subnautica.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

I'd love a mod or a difficulty setting that makes some of the leviathans roam the entire map instead of only having set patrol circuits in certain easily avoidable areas.

The tense feeling of dread from the first couple of hours goes right out the window the moment you realize that in like two thirds of the entire map you can putter around playing SimSeabase forever without ever running the risk of encountering anything remotely dangerous.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Comrade Koba posted:

I'd love a mod or a difficulty setting that makes some of the leviathans roam the entire map instead of only having set patrol circuits in certain easily avoidable areas.

The tense feeling of dread from the first couple of hours goes right out the window the moment you realize that in like two thirds of the entire map you can putter around playing SimSeabase forever without ever running the risk of encountering anything remotely dangerous.

This is what hardcore mode should be IMO. Reapers are allowed to patrol the map and Ghost Leviathans and Crab Squids spawn at night.

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

What is that bear doing there?

GlyphGryph posted:

I actually managed to build and power a base before I ran out of air, planted a melon and bulboa seed so long term hunger/thirst are taken care of, thermoblade cooked fish to prevent myself from dying of thirst until they matured, and am now... well, I'm not really entirely sure what I'm going to do next, hahah! I'm just sort of slowly expanding the base and my farm.

I'll figure it out though. I think someone said if you build multiple air tanks you can swap them out for extra time? That might need to be what I end up doing.

There's at least three exits from the region you're in to the surface. If you have a seaglide and the first high-capacity tank you can probably make it from the lava transition to the surface without difficulty. Knowing the way is the biggest hurdle.

And I don't think tank-swapping works? I think back in early beta you could carry multiple tanks which automatically boosted your air, but no longer.

QuantaStarFire
May 18, 2006

Grimey Drawer
If you have multiple tanks, you can switch between them for air. The glitchless speedrun does this iirc when headed down to the endgame areas.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Away all Goats posted:

This is what hardcore mode should be IMO. Reapers are allowed to patrol the map and Ghost Leviathans and Crab Squids spawn at night.

The shallows would need to be a bit deeper so that the horror doesn't turn into 'GDI WHERE DID YOU COME FR- oh you freakin' clipped through the ground you stupid hacking sonuva-'

Other than that it's a fine idea.

Ciaphas posted:

so I guess that was the deep grand reef I ran through last nightthis morning where i found the last degasi base? how are people coming up with the names of places outside of the wiki, I wouldn't have called that a reef, more of a spoopy deathzone

Someone hasn't found the Dunes yet :unsmigghh:

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Comrade Koba posted:

This actually existed for a decent chunk of EA, where issues with reaper leviathans' aggro models made them camp parts of the safe shallows.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I think the ideal way to handle that would be to have the game increase the aggressive AI and patrol radius of certain enemies when you reach certain milestones. Basically as you progress in tech the game ramps up the difficulty and areas that were once safe are no longer as easy to navigate. I think it actually does do this with exactly one creature, though I'm not certain.

As far as I can tell Warpers only turn hostile once you reach Lost River. Before entering that biome they will just curiously float around you, but afterwards they will begin targeting you. They go from being an oddity to a major threat.

But hey, there are lots of things they could have done to mix things up. It will be interesting to see what they do with the DLC for this game. My real dream is still getting "Subnautica 2: Its Actually Proc Gen Now" some point in the far future though.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Internet Kraken posted:

As far as I can tell Warpers only turn hostile once you reach Lost River. Before entering that biome they will just curiously float around you, but afterwards they will begin targeting you. They go from being an oddity to a major threat.
I can't say if they're always hostile, but that isn't the trigger if there is one. I've had them attack me before In the grand reef degassi seabase, and before that near a cave on gun island before I had seen either underwater seabase

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011
:norway:

:iiam:

Leviathans are also super trivialised if you bring a fish and keep it in your hand. The big scary thing will eat it out of your hand and be friendly to you, just casually swimming around you. Even the ghost leviathans outside the map boundaries can be tamed.

I got all my leviathan scans using the stasis rifle before I found out about the thing above. Some interesting databank entries there, I recommend scanning the Reaper Leviathan and read the database.

If you play on survival, sitting in a chair will stop food and hydration from lowering apparently, if you want to read all the databank stuff.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

What's the reason again for why I can't add any base pieces to a structure when I start up? It's just the one unit with the bare essentials (Air, power, fabricator) but I can't it make any bigger and the game doesn't give any feedback as to why I'm not allowed to expand it.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Dunno-Lars posted:

Leviathans are also super trivialised if you bring a fish and keep it in your hand. The big scary thing will eat it out of your hand and be friendly to you, just casually swimming around you. Even the ghost leviathans outside the map boundaries can be tamed.

I got all my leviathan scans using the stasis rifle before I found out about the thing above. Some interesting databank entries there, I recommend scanning the Reaper Leviathan and read the database.

If you play on survival, sitting in a chair will stop food and hydration from lowering apparently, if you want to read all the databank stuff.

Yeah but, It's annoying when is starts nuzzling you for more fish while you're trying to do something in the sea moth.

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

I can't say if they're always hostile, but that isn't the trigger if there is one. I've had them attack me before In the grand reef degassi seabase, and before that near a cave on gun island before I had seen either underwater seabase

They turn hostile when you get infected. Once you get cured, they just stare at you before they teleport away.

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011

Inspector Gesicht posted:

What's the reason again for why I can't add any base pieces to a structure when I start up? It's just the one unit with the bare essentials (Air, power, fabricator) but I can't it make any bigger and the game doesn't give any feedback as to why I'm not allowed to expand it.

Is there anything near where you are trying to connect? Locker inside maybe? Anything outside? Plenty of room?
Post pictures, and we can figure it out.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Just deconstructing the fabricator and locker that was inside fixed the problem, but those weren't clipping through any wall-space. Is there any option to move modules around or do I have to recycle an object if I change my mind?

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Just deconstructing the fabricator and locker that was inside fixed the problem, but those weren't clipping through any wall-space. Is there any option to move modules around or do I have to recycle an object if I change my mind?

Have you recycle, but you get the full cost back. Only annoying to empty lockers and such.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!
Somebody earlier mentioned that marblemelons were bugged. What, exactly, is the problem with them?