Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SpaceAceJase
Nov 8, 2008

and you
have proved
to be...

a real shitty poster,
and a real james
when you've been at your lowest, have videogames been there to get your mind off things?

please tell me what games you play to put your sadbrains at ease.
only suggest videogames that won't feed addiction like MMOs plz thx

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

I played nonstop Picross 3d round 2 last year when Hurricane Irma hit my town. It was nice since there was no way I was going to sleep anyway.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Final Fantasy XIII came out at a rough time in my life including but not limited to my dog dying. It helped to absorb myself in a long quest through a fantastical world during the down times.

Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich
I put 112 hours into Darkest Dungeon, so I'd recommend that. Let your sorrows and troubles be burned away by exclamations of "bullshit!" and "gently caress!" as your little dungeon expeditionary parties are ground through the gears of RNG and strong rear end enemies and all that.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
I had a really rough time with dry sockets and misery when i had my wisdom teeth removed, and I was doing nothing but drinking soup, nodding off, and playing metroid prime. I was so high and in so much pain I really felt like Samus.

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

Crash bandicoot

HolePisser1982
Nov 3, 2002
games have been good for distraction, but the stories are so loving bad, how is any of this junk supposed to help me

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

its now common forum lore op but quake live because i was unemployed so i played it 16 hours a day while drinking homebrew cider

Rushi
Jun 2, 2003

by Smythe
any videogame i ever played while working

cities skylines can make me forget anything

and, comedy dating sim reply

CowboyAndy
Aug 7, 2012
I went through a bad breakup in the summer of 2016. Playing through Sonic Generations helped to distract me while I dealt with it.

discount cathouse
Mar 25, 2009
dungeon crawl stone soup

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

discount cathouse posted:

dungeon crawl stone soup

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

discount cathouse posted:

dungeon crawl stone soup

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

jrpgs, FF12 in particular.

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

Call of Juarez: Bound in Blood helped me get through the very difficult period in my life when Red Dead Redemption had been announced but not yet released

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
All games heal my soul OP. Except for the ones that sucks rear end.

Vadun
Mar 9, 2011

I'm hungrier than a green snake in a sugar cane field.

Vagrant Story really spoke to me when I was depressed as a kid

Hizke
Feb 14, 2010

Ristolaz
Sep 29, 2005

By completely blowing off my BS you have passed the first trial
I play minecraft when profoundly depressed but that hasnt happened inafew years thank god. Althought minecraft is awesome

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

having awesome sex with a lady on the witcher 3

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Dragon Warrior 3 helped me through 9/11. I battled against the machinations of the evil Zoma while our troops fought against the real Demon King, Osama bin Laden.

Bolverkur
Aug 9, 2012

you're jokin around but the Dragon Quest Summer is one of the best and purest gaming experiences for me and I still think about it fondly

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

Burrito Bison helped me through some of the worst KFC shits ive ever had to face

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

HORMELCHILI posted:

Burrito Bison helped me through some of the worst KFC shits ive ever had to face

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

HORMELCHILI posted:

this

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
I spent most of 2006 being depressed. 2006 is also the year I first discovered Morrowind and I think a good 75% of my gaming time that year was spent playing that game. I like to think that it helped me through said depression rather than making it worse because I spent so much time sitting by myself playing it.

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

We don't need Rome telling us what to do.
every time i really wanted a cigarette id play def jam fight for ny.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

When I was 8 the youth pastor in the church near my house made a bad pass at me and did things that left a severe mark in my psyche that even today have made me a mess of human being. Answereing the OP: Sonic 3 and Knuckles. Cheers.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
Semper games.

A CRUNK BIRD
Sep 29, 2004

C-Euro posted:

I spent most of 2006 being depressed. 2006 is also the year I first discovered Morrowind and I think a good 75% of my gaming time that year was spent playing that game. I like to think that it helped me through said depression rather than making it worse because I spent so much time sitting by myself playing it.

Yo I have depression too my man. I have PMs if you want to talk about it.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

This may be counter to the spirit of the thread but I usually swear off video games altogether at the lowest points in my life, until things improve, which can take as little as one week.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

net cafe scandal posted:

This may be counter to the spirit of the thread but I usually swear off video games altogether at the lowest points in my life, until things improve, which can take as little as one week.

Times without video games are dark times indeed.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

if you're feeling lonely you can play the famous game solitaire, which only requires one person

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

A human heart posted:

if you're feeling lonely you can play the famous game solitaire, which only requires one person

The Virgin Solitaire Player vs. the Chad Microsoft Hearts Player

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

I know this wasn't your original avatar but I just love this game. Cheers, rediscover.

net cafe scandal posted:

I only play video games when I feel good.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Oh yeah, also I was unemployed in the summer of 2013 and played a lot of phone games in my free time, especially 10000000. I spent a lot of time on Salty Bet that summer too.

A CRUNK BIRD posted:

Yo I have depression too my man. I have PMs if you want to talk about it.

Thanks, fortunately that was a long time ago and I'm way better now. Keep your head up goon!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Furious
Jan 11, 2001
KELVIN
My bot don't know nuthin' 'bout no KELVIN
When I found out my first crush was dating someone else I cried then went and bought Parasite Eve and played the poo poo out of it.

• Locked thread