Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender
I'm going with a new tribe: Wights, who appear primarily in blue-black and tend to have the Deplete keyword. Deplete is a mechanic that I've felt the game needed ever since I saw Wither/Infect, which is a way to mill with creatures.

Common Wights just have Deplete:

Uncommon Wights get other abilities, most of which synergize with Deplete:

The Wight Lord:

A support enchantment!

And finally, a big badass legendary Wight:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Not Alex
Oct 9, 2012

Cut loose before the god eaters show up.

TheChirurgeon posted:

A support enchantment!

Double replacement effect gets into funky timing rules no? ie Wights mill instead of damaging circumventing the enchantment's replacement effect so depending on which hit the battlefield first you wouldn't necessarily double mill.

Besides that I can't believe these things don't exist. It's such a straightforward step.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Not Alex posted:

Double replacement effect gets into funky timing rules no? ie Wights mill instead of damaging circumventing the enchantment's replacement effect so depending on which hit the battlefield first you wouldn't necessarily double mill.

Besides that I can't believe these things don't exist. It's such a straightforward step.

Hm, fair. I could just have it double the cards placed into the graveyard and remove the wight restriction, so it's:

I think this makes for a 2-card combo win with Traumatize, but I might be OK with that?

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

I get the idea, but I see two things I don't really like in your Deplete mechanic:
1) It's really a drawback, but you're not costing it as a drawback. People have more cards in their deck than life so you have more to get through, and there's often graveyard synergies which you'd be enabling
2) Like Infect, the cards are very parasitic, making them annoying to build with in any sort of limited format.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Cultists interact with sacrifices for either some grand or misguided purpose.

Any creature type can be a cultist. If you're willing to sacrifice or be sacrificed: you're in.

Cultists are usually red or black, but green sometimes dabbles.

Someone's got to keep the order with all of the sacrificing going on.

Looks like this guy's got it all figured out.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Elyv posted:

I get the idea, but I see two things I don't really like in your Deplete mechanic:
1) It's really a drawback, but you're not costing it as a drawback. People have more cards in their deck than life so you have more to get through, and there's often graveyard synergies which you'd be enabling
2) Like Infect, the cards are very parasitic, making them annoying to build with in any sort of limited format.

1. I think I've been pretty aggressive at costing them with a high power, especially for black/blue. If I go too aggressive, then suddenly they're too good at killing creatures in combat. At higher rarities, I'd do more dread legion style effects, where you're emptying their hand and library simultaneously. Krastus originally had 12 power, but I liked him keying off graveyard creatures more, since hed grow continually against most decks.

2. True, but I will also admit I'm not particularly worried about that. These work well enough with existing mill strategies that they have established support in many sets from cards like Glimpse the Unthinkable or JtMS.

TheChirurgeon fucked around with this message at 12:05 on Feb 15, 2018

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
I've made a slight change to Nekomata to make it work better. I've replaced the card in my original post, but I'll also put it here:

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
24 hour warning! Get your gimmicks in or forever look at your weak and feeble pile of honourable mentions compared to PMush's mighty honour.

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

AJ_Impy posted:

24 hour warning! Get your gimmicks in or forever look at your weak and feeble pile of honourable mentions compared to PMush's mighty honour.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

[cheekily enters Enchanters again]

Eeevil
Oct 28, 2010

Well obviously he didn't see it, or he'd be wearing a hardhat :colbert:

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...
Apologies that I haven’t had an entry in a while. This question came up recently and I wanted to get an opinion. Would the rules support a spell that read “Target creature dies.” and would it be any different that “destroy target creature” if they do.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Time is up. Judgement is upon you.

Honourable mentions

Kuiperdolin's Woodwos.

I'm impressed, you managed to make a more annoying and hard to deal with version of Licids. Yours don't have as many riders and you can't change them back easily, but they don't need to tap to activate. WOTC hate licids.

Eeevil's Hunters

I like the way they each have their quarry, and aren't happy if they have to work alongside it. Might have done better if Faith Crusher had power/toughness.

Third Place

I like this, because just as Mistform Ultimus inspired the Changelings, Deplete creatures are descended from Undead Alchemist, which is entirely plausible. There are a couple of Zombies which are Wights, but they can get updated. The one problem is going from 20 to 53 life or 33 life in limited (depleting each turn) as the target.

Second Place

A very Jund feel, good potential with Devour. The God eater is a work of art. Avoids parasitism, fits in well with other sets.

Not going to lie, you managed to touch upon a creature type I have the softest of soft spots for, thanks to This Guy. Immediate positive association aside, I love the way the mechanic fits them, and all the various abilities are very intriguing. Congratulations Nebalebadingdong!

Spreadsheet updated.

Eeevil
Oct 28, 2010

AJ_Impy posted:

Eeevil's Hunters

I like the way they each have their quarry, and aren't happy if they have to work alongside it. Might have done better if Faith Crusher had power/toughness.

Oops. It was supposed to be a 4/3.

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?
aw yea

I'll set up a new contest tomorrow morning

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?
Contest: GOTTA GO FAST

This contest is all about making things go faster!

You could give things haste:

You could speed up slow stuff:

Flash some poo poo:

The leylines can go SUPER FAST

You can even make turns themselves go faster!

Contests ends Sunday at 6pm Central Time

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

To clarify: should we make fast things, or new things (mechanics and whatnot) that make things go fast?

The Gorp
Jan 7, 2013

My style is impetuous,
My defenses are impregnable
My arms are tired

I have posted first, making me the victor.
Justification for fast - these cards end things one way or another unless dealt with immediately.
Your ride just got here but you're in the middle of EDH, time to end the hour long game within the next couple turns.

The Gorp fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Feb 19, 2018

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

Mikl posted:

To clarify: should we make fast things, or new things (mechanics and whatnot) that make things go fast?

Either one!

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Good, because I've been making something! :)

Presenting Quickdraw: a new ability that is primary in red, secondary in blue.

Should be explainatory from this first card:

But of course it can also be applied to things other than instants, such as sorceries:

Or even creatures.

e. Reworked Legendary Gunslinger a bit.

Mikl fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Feb 19, 2018

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

OP updated!

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Mikl posted:

Quickdraw
That would be scary powerful. Personally, I'd give it a cheaper Quickdraw cost, a la Miracle, rather than making it free.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
Let's gamble with a fresh set of seven right from the start. Very powerful, but very little backup...

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

PMush Perfect posted:

That would be scary powerful. Personally, I'd give it a cheaper Quickdraw cost, a la Miracle, rather than making it free.

I thought about that, but it'd make it too close to Miracle. And I think it would still be situational, since you'd have to either luck out and draw the right card at the right time, or use two other card/abilities to make it happen (one to set up the card on top of your library, one to draw the card).

Still, as a possible alternative, what about having it only apply to permanents, with a "sacrifice at end of turn" drawback and an ability that activates on etb? Like this:

Quickdraw (if it's not your draw step and you draw this card from your library you may reveal it and cast it without paying its mana cost; if you do, sacrifice it at the end of the turn)
When ~ enters the battlefield, (do something)

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Mikl posted:

Quickdraw (if it's not your draw step and you draw this card from your library you may reveal it and cast it without paying its mana cost; if you do, sacrifice it at the end of the turn)
When ~ enters the battlefield, (do something)
That could work. You'd still have to be really careful about what kinds of instants and sorceries you put it on, though.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Alright, reworked the cards a bit, avoiding non-permanents.

How's it look?

Mikl fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Feb 19, 2018

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

AJ_Impy posted:

Let's gamble with a fresh set of seven right from the start. Very powerful, but very little backup...

Man looks at hypergenesis and thinks "How do I make this more broken?"

So 4 of these, 56 haste creatures and you just mulligan til you your hit it because there's no downside to the having a 1 card hand when you play it since you get a fresh seven.

Well, that is pretty fast.

Eeevil
Oct 28, 2010

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker

Lone Goat posted:

Man looks at hypergenesis and thinks "How do I make this more broken?"

So 4 of these, 56 haste creatures and you just mulligan til you your hit it because there's no downside to the having a 1 card hand when you play it since you get a fresh seven.

Well, that is pretty fast.

'Mulligan 'til you hit it' is a very high risk strategy, even with a full set of Serum Powder to back it up.(Also, you don't need haste creatures since it hits before the start of game, the same as with creatures from a Karn, Liberated game restart.)

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

AJ_Impy posted:

'Mulligan 'til you hit it' is a very high risk strategy, even with a full set of Serum Powder to back it up.(Also, you don't need haste creatures since it hits before the start of game, the same as with creatures from a Karn, Liberated game restart.)

I think the trigger won't happen until the game starts, but I might be wrong.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

That is a pretty fancy pseudo-bolt.

Aabcehmu
Apr 27, 2013

Confusion As a Natural State of Being

AJ_Impy posted:

I just did the math, and the probability of not pulling a particular card after mulliganing to 1, assuming you have a full playset in your deck, is just shy of 13.5%. Given that pulling the leyline seems to pretty much be a guaranteed win against anything besides another leyline deck, that means that in an unprepared meta the deck should have around a 86.5% win rate, which IIRC is quite high.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker

Lone Goat posted:

I think the trigger won't happen until the game starts, but I might be wrong.

The closest equivalents are the exile effect from Gemstone Caverns and the trigger from Chancellor of the Annex. The other chancellors specify the first upkeep (except Tangle, which specifies first main.)

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker

Aabcehmu posted:

I just did the math, and the probability of not pulling a particular card after mulliganing to 1, assuming you have a full playset in your deck, is just shy of 13.5%. Given that pulling the leyline seems to pretty much be a guaranteed win against anything besides another leyline deck, that means that in an unprepared meta the deck should have around a 86.5% win rate, which IIRC is quite high.

Fair. Then again, the meta will not be unprepared.

Lker
Oct 26, 2010
Posting just the text until I make a mock up, it probably is a rules nightmare:

Rocket-Powered Turbo Goblin Guide - RR
Creature - Goblin Scout
Reveal ~ as you draft it and choose a player.

If the chosen player is your opponent, start the game with this card in your command zone face up.

At the beginning of the game, if this card is in your command zone, take an extra turn. During the extra turn, you may not draw cards or play spells and lands from your hand. During your first combat phase, play ~ you drafted with the chosen player from the command zone tapped and attacking the chosen player if able.

2/2

Torchlighter
Jan 15, 2012

I Got Kids. I need this.
So ever since I built Hot Tag, I've been basically obsessed with trying to make a certain archetype that doesn't exist in Magic. Namely, RW Flash. Which makes this contest perfect for me.

And some creatures to help the archetype out

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender
E: Cards are done!

And also this one. Speed is relative

TheChirurgeon fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Feb 21, 2018

Lack of Bear
Jun 12, 2007

he couldn't bear it

Inspired by Path of Mettle "fast keywords"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Not Alex
Oct 9, 2012

Cut loose before the god eaters show up.
How about a creature that lives, trades, and dies so fast that you never see it hit the battlefield?