Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

The Dragon Friends is a ostensibly a Dungeons & Dragons podcast about four bumbling adventurers who can't seem to do anything right. In reality, it's a bunch of comedians bullying their Dungeon Master while forgetting their objectives mere seconds after receiving them. Sometimes they do things related to D&D, but mostly they just talk about bodily fluids.

The cast is made up of comedians and actors, so they're all reasonably good at keeping the live show moving along. Don't expect much adherence to the rules of D&D; Dragon Friends is more like an improv show with some rules to go along with it. They also sing a lot, which is kind of weird.

The podcast is released every other week on Thursdays, with live shows recorded once per month. Because everyone is drinking during the live shows, even-numbered episodes tend to be a lot sillier than odd-numbered ones. The show is currently in the middle of the fourth season, with some real big bombs being dropped recently.. The podcast can be found on their website or the Omny feed, and the Tomb of Annihilation streams can be found on YouTube.

The Story

Season 1 would have started as a typical high fantasy adventure in the Sword Coast, but that all goes out the door when Freezo murders an NPC in the first ten minutes of the first episode.The Dragon Friends go on the lam and have to use seedy underworld connections just to get by, and end up foiling a cult as a result. Notable NPCs include Janos Meer the Beggar King, Philge's long lost brother Dilge, and Gribbitz the goblin lawyer.

Season 2 is loosely based on the adventure The Curse of Strahd, and tries to be spooky which is difficult when Freezo keeps talking about his masterwork stripper pants. The Dragon Friends find themselves trapped in a cursed land ruled by a tyrant, and have to figure out how to escape with their lives. Notable NPCs include Edvard Osswick the Bravest Man in Wickshire, Ireena Kolyana, and Nuke Dukem. Probably the best place to start since the first season has some varying audio issues.

Season 3 is loosely based on Shadowrun, taking place 50 years in the future in the real world. The Dragon Friends are stranded here and must take up contract work with a megacorporation in order to survive. Benny Davis and Michael Hing are also revealed to be axe murderers. Notable NPCs include tween pop sensation Johnny Playstation, Sally Gunbear the Bear With A Gun, and Bobson Dugnutt who's probably Gribbitz reincarnated. Features more musical interruptions interludes than ever before.

Season 4 is loosely based on Spelljammer, so if you wanted weird sci-fi fantasy, this is everything you've ever wanted and more. After the events of season 3, the cast finds themselves in the middle of a heist with all their memories of the past few months erased. There's a lot of jumping between worlds and Freezo tries to use foosball as a legal defense. Notable NPCs include LOGANS the AI, Jayne Steyer the bounty hunter, and Bassbass Wihouveberry who sang a song that is far too good to be on this show.

The Tomb of Annihilation is a side story that started when Wizards of the Coast invited The Dragon Friends to come play their new adventure on live stream. The group managed to keep things clean for one episode, and immediately devolved back into pure filth the next episode. A good half of the run is the group being sidetracked into being pirates. After two seasons, they completed the adventure, but not without losing nearly everyone in the process. Includes a liveshow that lasted for eight hours, which had everyone becoming completely deranged by the end.

The Cast

"Fucka sucka ding dong!"
Bobby Pancakes is a halfing rogue and the most competent member of the Dragon Friends. This is not a high bar to clear. As the straight man of the group, he's responsible for keeping his team on task, which naturally he never does. Stabs himself in an attempt to escape from prison, which has resulted in his death. Sings an improvised song at least once per season, for some reason. Played by Simon Greiner (who also did all the art).

"You worship me now! Me am new king!"
Philge is a half-orc barbarian with motherly instincts and none of the brains to use them. While she is supposedly the muscle of the group, she's too busy using food trays instead of proper weapons to fill this role. Frequently takes goblins and puts them in swaddles. Also has a strange habit of falling into positions of power, including most recently becoming the vice president of sales in a multinational corporation. Takes a level in wizard in the memory of her dead brother, and proceeds to never use her spells. Played by Alex Lee.

"I know you hate me! I hate me too, that's why I do the things I do!"
Freezo is an elven warlock who is a hypocritical rear end in a top hat and the token evil teammate. Frequently sends the story off the rails, because he has absolutely no understanding of what's going on. Has absolutely no qualms with murdering people because they're mildly inconveniencing him. Has a weird obsession with wearing silly costumes. Is currently attempting to ascend to godhood, and has achieved immortality. Also gains a fairy dragon familiar, who loving hates his guts. Played by Michael Hing.

"I'm the beeeeeeeeeest!"
Baston is a human fighter handsome man who started as an NPC that is definitely legally distinct from Gaston and kept sneaking his way back into the story. Is initially madly infatuated with Freezo, despite being engaged, but is quickly disillusioned of that. Generally rips off his clothing so people can see his glistening abs. While he is not particularly incompetent like his teammates, he's easily distracted and would rather frolick with whatever's nearby. Takes a level in monk and proceeds to never do a fly kick again. Is a huge badass when he wants to be, which is almost never. Played by Edan Lacey

"I hate this show! I hate it so much! What the gently caress is wrong with all of you?"
Dungeon Dave is the Dungeon Master's nickname, which he absolutely hates. Frequently gets bullied over pronouncing words wrong, and never seems to have his stories stay on track for more than five minutes. Sometimes loses his cool when major villains are given stupid cartoon voices or guest stars try to perform 42 minute long songs. Exists in-universe as a god that the players pray to sometimes. Played by Dave Harmon.

"G'day cunts, welcome to me castle! It's haunted as poo poo, mate!"
Everyone Else is played by Ben Jenkins. Takes a lot of guff for having a very limited library of voices. He also likes to give major villains absurd voices like Snagglepuss and Droopy Dog, much to Dungeon Dave's chagrin. Is single-handedly responsible for Waterdeep having a heavily urine-based economy. Enjoys doing impressions of other cast members when they're absent from the show.

"It's just, even I get it, and I'm quite a bit busier than you right now."
The Bard is played by Benny Davis for the first three seasons, whom you probably know from The Axis of Awesome. He mostly just plays the background music, but on the rare occasions that he interjects into the game, it's probably because somebody is being really dense.

Tom Walker and Carlo Ritchie are very frequent guests who show up at least once per season. Their antics include but are not limited to: Performing songs so long it pisses off Dave, having an erotic chat about rolling around in feces, and trying to introduce the Book of Erotic Fantasy.

Links and Dragon Friends-Adjacent Stuff
Official Website - Contains character sheets, merch, and links to social media
Omny.fm - Sometimes updates earlier than the webpage
Tomb of Annihilation playlist - Also contains Q&A sessions with the cast
Patreon - Currently undergoing heavy revision
Facebook - Easiest way to keep up to date, especially if you're interested in attending a live show. Also contains a lot of bonus photos and videos.
Free To A Good Home - Podcast by Ben and Hing where they read classifieds and riff on them. Nearly everyone who has been on Dragon Friends has also been a guest on this podcast.
Story Club - Podcast run by Ben that's basically The Moth but with Australians. Like FTAGH, anyone who's shown up on Dragon Friends has an episode here too. Tom Walker's episode is 100% required listening.
Nailed It - Podcast hosted in the Giant Dwarf theater, where comedians write spoof thinkpieces. Amazing if you are fed up with internet media in general.
bigsofttitty.png - Podcast hosted by recurring guests Tom Walker and Demi Lardner. Absolutely do not listen to this without headphones on.

inthesto fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Oct 18, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Giodo!
Oct 29, 2003

I enjoy this and have been working through it. Thanks for sharing.

An Enormous Boner
Jul 12, 2009

This sounds epic as gently caress. I'm a loving retard.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
New episode is out, since the podcast runs on Australian time. I'm saving it for tomorrow during work but I'm biting my fingernails because Tom Walker isn't listed as a guest, so Johnny Playstation is probably dead for real :ohdear:

I also spruced up the OP a bit with some quotes and a quick links list.

Firstscion
Apr 11, 2008

Born Lucky

Started listening through the first 2 episodes liking it so far.

Eastbound Spider
Jan 2, 2011

Yeah, this is a pretty fun thing, thanks inthesto!

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
one of my favorite podcasts is 'four people bully their friend in front of a live audience via roleplaying' I mean 'Dragon friends'.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
Just listened to S1E1 so far, but this is already pretty drat great.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
The season 3 finale is out now and I just finished listening to it. I would buy a Johnny Playstation album.

Here's hoping season 4 will be Spelljammer. It's the perfect style of whimsical insanity for this show.

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

I listened to the entirety of The Dragon Friends over the past couple of weeks. It's been a wild ride.

It was nice to see some familiar names on the guest list, and even more unfamiliar ones- reckon I'll be checking out Hing and Ben's show next.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

Roach Warehouse posted:

I listened to the entirety of The Dragon Friends over the past couple of weeks. It's been a wild ride.

It was nice to see some familiar names on the guest list, and even more unfamiliar ones- reckon I'll be checking out Hing and Ben's show next.

I've actually wondered how well known the cast is in Australia, since several of them are on TV

Maxy Boy
Sep 7, 2008
Just finished marathonning every episode too. Sad to have finished it but hope they make more soon.
The only cast members I recognised were Alex Lee (Philge) who's on an Australian consumer rights show called The Checkout. Also Benny Davis on the keyboard who's a member of the band Axis of Awesome. They're like a comedy rock band. Not sure why Australia seems to generate so many of those.

Bring on more episodes!!!

cave emperor
Sep 1, 2016

Dave's angry rant when Ben brought out Snagglepuss again in season 2 was hilarious.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Araki posted:

Dave's angry rant when Ben brought out Snagglepuss again in season 2 was hilarious.

His genuine disappointment at Ben literally only having Snagglepuss to offer was so good.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
I always find it hilarious how, in his first episode, Edan did more voices than Ben's done over the course of the entire series.

That said, Strahd is still the best drat character voice by a mile.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
Semi-new episode is out. This is actually an older recording that was previously Patreon-only, but still a good episode.

Apparently Simon will be DMing the holiday special again this year, should be good stuff.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

An Enormous Boner posted:

This sounds epic as gently caress. I'm a loving retard.

same here

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
The Dragon Friends are back on the official D&D twitch channel, this time playing a board game. Apparently they'll be resuming Tomb of Annihilation eventually.

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

I don’t know if it’s restricted from other countries or whatever, but a couple of days ago the ABC (Australian) uploaded a Tom Walker comedy special to their iView service.

It’s very odd and includes a performance of Me Meow. I really enjoyed it.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

Roach Warehouse posted:

I don’t know if it’s restricted from other countries or whatever, but a couple of days ago the ABC (Australian) uploaded a Tom Walker comedy special to their iView service.

It’s very odd and includes a performance of Me Meow. I really enjoyed it.

I tried to watch it, but it looks like it's only available in Australia. The Meow performance is available on Facebook, though.

Also, it seems like the Dragon Friends will be streaming the Tomb of Annihilation board game at 8 PM EST (roughly 3.5 hours from now)! It should be on the official D&D twitch channel when it goes live.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

This show rules. I haven't powered through it because podcast burnout is REAL.

cave emperor
Sep 1, 2016

Watching the Stream of Annihilation on Twitch with the comments on is amazing. Half of the people watching are Dragon Friends fans who spam in-jokes and cheer when Gribbits shows up, and the other half are Serious D&D Players who are like, "I don't get, why aren't they letting the DM talk?"

Greggy
Apr 14, 2007

Hands raw with high fives.
It sounds like the first episode is pretty great, but would you say there are any especially good/stand-alone episodes of the show? Or would just listening to the first one be the best for checking it out?

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
I'd say a good episode for a sample would be Put It All On Red (3.10). Even though it's a later one, it's not like continuity of story is important in this show, and it has high octane insanity from the entire cast.

Also, the Dragon Friends have started up stuff again. With the conclusion of season 3, they played a few board games and streamed the opening of season 2 of Tomb of Annihilation (found on the youtube playlist in OP), and also the second Yulemas episode run by Simon and Edan (found on Omny in the OP).

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!
The Tomb of Annihilation streams are really good. I don't know what possessed them to record the first part of season 2 as a marathon but it's a beautiful mess by hour six.

Also fun is watching the streams on twitch.tv so you can peek at the chat logs and see the D&D nerds get upset that Dave doesn't command enough respect as DM, or that "the music guy" is distracting. Or the honestly insane amount of people who assume they're from New Zealand.

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014
Just listened to the first 2 eps. It's great!

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
The season 3 finale really is something else

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

Apparently Dave and Ben are writing a spin off adventure :allears:

inthesto fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Jan 19, 2018

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

When they talked about Benny Davis going to Singapore, I assumed they meant on holiday or as part of a tour. I didn't realise he actually moved there and wasn't coming back. He's listed as a Dragon Friends member (Season 1-3) on the website. :(

It seems unlikely, but I hope they somehow have another musician to bring on board because the keyboard added so much to this show.

Sardine Wit
Sep 3, 2004

Oh man, just saw this thread. Great writeups!

I'm the DM of Dragon Friends, so great to see people digging it. Hit me up on our facebook page PM's if any goons want comps to the season opener recording next week.
https://www.facebook.com/events/1548823978500734/

Not Operator posted:

When they talked about Benny Davis going to Singapore, I assumed they meant on holiday or as part of a tour. I didn't realise he actually moved there and wasn't coming back. He's listed as a Dragon Friends member (Season 1-3) on the website. :(

It seems unlikely, but I hope they somehow have another musician to bring on board because the keyboard added so much to this show.

I totally agree, we're gonna miss him. His wife's job's taking her to Singapore so he's following her. We're going to keep inviting musicians to do the show with us however - trying shows with a few while we see if we find someone who's a perfect fit. First up is Ange Lavoipierre, a Sydney comedian and goddamn cellist. She's doing our next live show.

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

El Presidente smiles upon this thread.

Sardine Wit posted:

Oh man, just saw this thread. Great writeups!

I'm the DM of Dragon Friends, so great to see people digging it. Hit me up on our facebook page PM's if any goons want comps to the season opener recording next week.
https://www.facebook.com/events/1548823978500734/

Is this where I go to suggest Call of Cthulhu or Stars Without Number for a future season?

An Enormous Boner
Jul 12, 2009

This show is basically the perfect combo of "I am teh derp!!!111one" and "I am the winnar!!!!".

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Sardine Wit posted:

I totally agree, we're gonna miss him. His wife's job's taking her to Singapore so he's following her. We're going to keep inviting musicians to do the show with us however - trying shows with a few while we see if we find someone who's a perfect fit. First up is Ange Lavoipierre, a Sydney comedian and goddamn cellist. She's doing our next live show.

That sounds cool as heck and now I'm more jazzed about season 4 than I already was. You guys put in a good show and I hope you're proud of that.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

I just re-listened to the whole thing in one shot to prep for the new season and am still baffled over how all of Australia apparently knows the theme song to The Nanny by heart.

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014
The Nanny was (is?) on loving constantly.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
I was gonna write some words about what makes Dragon Friends such a special show, but then I decided this doodle from their facebook page is the most dragon friends dot jpg thing possible

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
I'm only part way through the second season but it's impressive how despite having tons of combat the show never seems to slow down or get unfunny. Even when the everyone keeps rolling low and missing, making the fight drag on forever, they still make it pretty entertaining.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Drunkboxer posted:

I'm only part way through the second season but it's impressive how despite having tons of combat the show never seems to slow down or get unfunny. Even when the everyone keeps rolling low and missing, making the fight drag on forever, they still make it pretty entertaining.

one of my favorite things about the show is doing initiative ahead of time and dave usually doing a very good job keeping the combat urgent feeling. i assume some of this is due to tight editing in post but they do a much better job than most other rpg podcasts i've heard.

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

I’m catching up on the Tomb of Annihilation streams and I’m honestly super surprised that Freezo hasn’t tried to use the airship (or indeed, any of the ships he stole) to piss off back to the Sword Coast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Roach Warehouse posted:

I’m catching up on the Tomb of Annihilation streams and I’m honestly super surprised that Freezo hasn’t tried to use the airship (or indeed, any of the ships he stole) to piss off back to the Sword Coast.

Freezo would rather stay with his friends and be miserable so he has people to complain to than fly back home alone with nothing to whine about. He's easily the most real character.