Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Big City Drinkin posted:

So to deal with my splatter/grease/smoke problem, I just plunked down the cash to get a torch + Searzall. It's kind of a pain in the rear end to use, but it makes a nice sear with literally zero mess. I'm happy.

Mine isn’t zero mess, especially when doing fish. It is easier to take out to the patio than a cast iron pan though!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

Has anyone tried searing with a baking steel?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I have, though not post-SV. It works fine.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Unless your baking steel has a gutter, be careful about how much liquid is on your baking steel, don't want it to drip off the sides

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Seven Hundred Bee posted:

Has anyone tried searing with a baking steel?

I do smash burgs on mine, but outdoors over a propane burner. Because the grease will run off.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I know I can do sea scallops in 30 min, but how long can they cook without texture alteration? You know how K A-L has guides that show steak is all good up to about 4 hours before breakdown starts? Do we know that for scallops? Just wondering if I can puddle them for an hour instead of 30 min...

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I’ve never bothered SVing scallops because I want to sear them after, and just searing them pretty much cooks them through anyway.

Nonetheless I’m interested in the results of your experiment.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Subjunctive posted:

I’ve never bothered SVing scallops because I want to sear them after, and just searing them pretty much cooks them through anyway.

Nonetheless I’m interested in the results of your experiment.

This is NOT going to be an experiment. This is valentines dinner. If I don’t find out for sure, I’m sticking with 30 min. And I tend to overlook scallops despite my best effort. I have made some abso-loving-lutely dreamy scallops in the puddle.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Godspeed.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I'm very confused as to how you can SV scallops and do any sort of sear on them without overcooking. It's hard enough to properly sear them without overcooking from raw.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

baquerd posted:

I'm very confused as to how you can SV scallops and do any sort of sear on them without overcooking. It's hard enough to properly sear them without overcooking from raw.

Torch. Super fast, super hot, super dry-patted scallops.

[Ed] I don’t profess to be an expert or even close. In fact, the whole point is I usually gently caress up traditionally-cooked scallops.
But I can wear my SV scallops and still have them have that gentle inside that is desirable.

30 min at 123.5, pat dry. Torch hot.

Tonight for V day dinner I had Kumato tomatoes sliced and drizzled in balsamic with sprinkled maldon flakes.

Roasted Brussels Sprouts in bacon jam.

Sea scallops over pearl cous cous with a saffron cream sauce.

Picture doesn’t do it justice but maybe the juiciness comes across?

Feenix fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Feb 15, 2018

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Bottom Liner posted:

Really perfected this chuck roast recipe! 48 hours 131 with a drop of Worcestershire, salt, pepper, and chicago steak seasoning blend. Sautéing the onions in the bag juice really makes the whole thing. If you're not making a literal steak sauce reduction you're missing out! Served with steamed veggies (carrots and cabbage tonight) to balance out the intense beef flavors. Insanely good meal for 20-25 minutes active cook time.

Doing this. Got the meat swimming right now after a two hour smoke. How do you think mushrooms would have gone with the steak sauce reduction?

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

Feenix posted:

Picture doesn’t do it justice but maybe the juiciness comes across?

I know this is the sous vide thread and we're supposed to be gung ho about sous vide cooking everything, but scallops get absolutely no benefit from it. Especially not at 50C. Try it for yourself once it's not V-day dinner -- sear some puddled and raw scallops side by side. I know there was no difference in the end product when I did. The important part by far is choosing dry scallops and then drying them carefully.

This is from pan searing in cast iron, however, so YMMV for a torch.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

Doing this. Got the meat swimming right now after a two hour smoke. How do you think mushrooms would have gone with the steak sauce reduction?

Oh yeah mushrooms are great in it, I just didn’t have any this time.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Jan posted:

I know this is the sous vide thread and we're supposed to be gung ho about sous vide cooking everything, but scallops get absolutely no benefit from it. Especially not at 50C. Try it for yourself once it's not V-day dinner -- sear some puddled and raw scallops side by side. I know there was no difference in the end product when I did. The important part by far is choosing dry scallops and then drying them carefully.

This is from pan searing in cast iron, however, so YMMV for a torch.

You're missing the key point in my previous posts... I never claimed this was superior methodology. I claimed that I am hardwired to overcook scallops when I do it traditionally. I know it's simple as pie. But I gently caress it up. I find zero hassle (personally) in dropping it in a bag into a hot bath and then playing with my torch for a minute.

I am not claiming everyone should stop cooking traditionally.
(although I was at a (good) seafood place in Seattle a few days ago and had scallops and they were tough in the middle and I said to my wife "these guys should try SV." ;)

CaPensiPraxis
Feb 7, 2013

When in france...
Or smaller scallops, the big ones get chewy, I think.

Nur_Neerg
Sep 1, 2004

The Lumbering but Unstoppable Sasquatch of the Appalachians

Feenix posted:

You're missing the key point in my previous posts... I never claimed this was superior methodology. I claimed that I am hardwired to overcook scallops when I do it traditionally. I know it's simple as pie. But I gently caress it up. I find zero hassle (personally) in dropping it in a bag into a hot bath and then playing with my torch for a minute.

I am not claiming everyone should stop cooking traditionally.
(although I was at a (good) seafood place in Seattle a few days ago and had scallops and they were tough in the middle and I said to my wife "these guys should try SV." ;)

Where were you that overcooked scallops?

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Nur_Neerg posted:

Where were you that overcooked scallops?

Annex Oyster house in Ballard. And they weren’t like hosed up, I just know what a nice, juicy snap in a scallop feels/tastes like and this was a moderate but tougher.

All their other stuff was pretty bang-on, though.

Nur_Neerg
Sep 1, 2004

The Lumbering but Unstoppable Sasquatch of the Appalachians

Feenix posted:

Annex Oyster house in Ballard. And they weren’t like hosed up, I just know what a nice, juicy snap in a scallop feels/tastes like and this was a moderate but tougher.

All their other stuff was pretty bang-on, though.

Gotcha; I've heard they're pretty good, but it's almost impossible to convince myself to go there when they're in walking distance of Walrus.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
A while back I asked in here about tonkatsu and how I had a devil of a time getting the breading to stick. I had pretty mediocre results with a long dry so instead I gave it a pretty cursory one and instead of rolling the cutlet around in the panko I stuffed it and the panko in a ziplock bag after the flour and egg and hella shook it, and that worked much better. YMMV of course but this worked well for me, with a crispy breading shell and a rare center.

Pics!

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Nur_Neerg posted:

Gotcha; I've heard they're pretty good, but it's almost impossible to convince myself to go there when they're in walking distance of Walrus.

We love Walrus, but we had limited time and young kids waiting at home...

Walrus is the loving jam, though.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

AnonSpore posted:

A while back I asked in here about tonkatsu and how I had a devil of a time getting the breading to stick. I had pretty mediocre results with a long dry so instead I gave it a pretty cursory one and instead of rolling the cutlet around in the panko I stuffed it and the panko in a ziplock bag after the flour and egg and hella shook it, and that worked much better. YMMV of course but this worked well for me, with a crispy breading shell and a rare center.

Pics!

This looks awesome! Good tip! If one wanted it thinner, would one just beat their meat?

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
If I wanted a thinner tonkatsu I'd just beat it thinner and fry normally, honestly. I only vizzled because I wanted a super thick cutlet.

snyprmag
Oct 9, 2005

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

I puddled baby back ribs after a 1-2 hour smoke. They smelled really smokey when I put them in, but after the cook the smoke taste was really subtle. Does the smoke flavor seep out as SV'ing or I am just expecting too much?

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

snyprmag posted:

I puddled baby back ribs after a 1-2 hour smoke. They smelled really smokey when I put them in, but after the cook the smoke taste was really subtle. Does the smoke flavor seep out as SV'ing or I am just expecting too much?
I don't get to find out until tomorrow but my water bath smells like liquid smoke with no bag leaks so I'm thinking (and hoping) subtle. Regardless of the smoke flavor I did like the fat rendering from the smoke process compared to a bag and go.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

using a torch to sear...is a propane torch ok? A company sent me a Bernzomatic T3500 to review and it only uses propane...I figured I might as well see how it works.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

nwin posted:

using a torch to sear...is a propane torch ok? A company sent me a Bernzomatic T3500 to review and it only uses propane...I figured I might as well see how it works.

Is it approved for MAPP? Burns hotter, less propane aroma (almost negligible amount...) But in any case, you want it to be set to have as much blue flame (not orange) as possible.

[ed] Narrow flame-beam on that, Might take forever and be very concentrated in terms of hot-spot. I don't know... worth testing though :)

Feenix fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Feb 17, 2018

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
IIRC when Dave Arnold was developing the Searzall he hired a gas chromatography/mass spectrometry expert at UC Davis to verify where the "fuel taste" in torched foods came from, and her conclusion was that it was actually from the burnt food, not from the propane.

I used to have a TS-3500, and you gotta move it around a lot to make sure it doesn't incinerate one tiny spot on your food

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Feb 17, 2018

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Steve Yun posted:

IIRC Dave Arnold hired a gas chromatography/mass spectrometry expert at UC Davis to verify where "propane aroma" came from, and her conclusion was that it was actually from the burnt food, not from the propane.

I used to have a TS-3500, and you gotta move it around a lot to make sure it doesn't incinerate one tiny spot on your food

Not doubting you at all, because I am faaaar from a gas chromatographer, but what explains the entire LACK of taste/aroma when I MAPP vs standard propane?

Also the flavor is even worse using a kitchen butane creme brûlée torch.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Hmm, maybe we are talking about two different things... taste vs smell?

I edited my post my post after looking it up again because the wording he used referred to the taste

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Steve Yun posted:

Hmm, maybe we are talking about two different things... taste vs smell?

I edited my post my post after looking it up again because the wording he used referred to the taste

I mean, I don’t want to head down some annoying road but isn’t taste smell?

Anyhoo... definitely with my butane little kitchen torches I pick up a lot of kind of “chemical gas” flavor. (A lot being relative, it’s still edible.

Truth is, I haven’t used plain propane on food in a decade, but I read MAPP was hotter and cleaner and maybe assumed (or read specifically, who knows) was cleaner “tasting”.

*shrug*

Jay Carney
Mar 23, 2007

If you do that you will die on the toilet.
Propane is loaded with empty calories, that’s why it burns so hot, you should avoid if possible.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Avoiding propane is good life advice in general. Hank Hill was a fool.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Propane was the bastard gas all along.

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES
Did the 2 hour smoke/48 hour chuck roast this weekend, served it up tonight for a proper Sunday supper. Did a pile of onions with some butter and the bag juice, certainly a highlight. Roasted broccoli and cauliflower, some good wine, and a chuck roast that ate like prime rib. Not bad! No pictures, we all dove in head first.

its HIM
Oct 22, 2013
Those of you who have done the Costco pre-seasoned corned beef (or any other, really), what gave the best results? I'm seeing 180 for 12 hours, or 160 for 24, or lower for a couple days... I think I should go higher for a more traditional texture, unless someone convinces me otherwise. Should I cook in the original bag with the seasoning, or pull it out, rinse, and re-seal it? I see conflicting reports about saltiness.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Rule of thumb is never cook in grocery store packaging.

This was the one I did this weekend, 175 for about 11 hours total. I put it in with just the seasoning packet and an ounce of light beer. It was fantastic, fork sliceable and super flavorful.

esperantinc
May 5, 2003

JERRY! HELLO!

I've done pre-seasoned ones using the Serious Eats time/temp....180 for 10 hours. Works great for reubens. Any time I've made one, it's leeched out a bunch of liquid, so I've started weighing the beef down just so it stays under water.

edit: yeah, I've always rebagged, too.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Dinner party next week. Thinking of doing a cote de beauof for 4.
Anyone had any luck doing one sous vide?
My go to kenji doesn’t seem to have any recipe or anything and worried to just guess on such a good piece of meat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

From reading comments on Reddit when people did any type of prime rib it doesn't come out great. I just use the serious eats reverse sear for standing rib roast. It was pretty fool proof and they have a step by step guide that's hard to gently caress up