Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

I used my parents, specifically my mom's Costco card for years with her not even there.
As a stupid adult I don't even look like the photo of myself on the back of my own membership because they shoot the photo with a potato.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

InternetJunky posted:

I am white, my wife is East Indian. I was unloading our shopping cart for checkout so I gave my wife my Costco card to give to the cashier. Cashier, after checking the photo on the card, launches into a huge spiel about how my wife can't use someone else's Costco card. When my wife points out that the card belongs to me (still unloading at the time), cashier gets even more exasperated saying "he's not allowed to buy stuff for you on his card either." She went into a huge speech about how she'll get in trouble if she allows this and "she's sick and tired of dealing with people like you" and honestly I don't remember everything because I was a bit stunned by the exchange. Finally I asked if she gave all married couples this hard of a time when shopping together and she shut up and finished ringing everything up.

Not to say this wasn't a dick move but I'm not understanding how it's racist.

It's just something that happens at specifically managed Costcos, most locations in my experience will not care about two people using the same card no matter what their personal status.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Taima posted:

Could be where the cashier said they were tired of "people like you".
Could be where any number of waspy couples before them likely didnt get hassled

:iiam:

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

FilthyImp posted:

Could be where the cashier said they were tired of "people like you".
Could be where any number of waspy couples before them likely didnt get hassled

:iiam:

She clearly thought that people couldn't share cards, which is almost certainly the direct result of strict/idiotic management, and those things actually do vary between Costcos in the same way that some Costcos won't let non-card holders walk in the out door to access the food court.

You're implying that the cashier spends all day letting through white couples and then is like "oh you mixed race couple using the same card, I HATE YOU, you cannot do that because your skin is brown"

Somehow you have decided that this is the most likely reason- that the cashier is just Hitler incarnate instead of just misinformed or managed poorly.

I'm all for rooting out racism where it exists, but can we at least consider that there might be other reasons for people to act a certain way before we totally condemn that person...

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Taima posted:

Somehow you have decided that this is the most likely reason- that the cashier is just Hitler incarnate instead of just misinformed or managed poorly.
"You people" is kind of a dogwhistly term dude.

That's in addition to the unprofessional and really out of place lecture they had to sit though before paying for their poo poo.

In the few times they've carded my wife, she usually just points at me loading the lane up and they're like "oh yeah there he is". We might also get something about Store Policy, and if we're really lucky, some B.S. about the cardholder needing to pay for stuff.

I'd like to think why you believe it's appropriate for a cashier to give a couple of folks a hard time like that, to the point where they're uncomfortable, even if it is store policy. Hell, even the assumption that he's buying poo poo for her is out of line.

FilthyImp fucked around with this message at 08:52 on Feb 19, 2018

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
As someone who worked retail for years, and even at a Costco competitor:

Retail makes everybody a little racist and there's no avoiding it, but part of working retail is learning to suppress it, not act on it, and be a good little drone who mindlessly follows procedure and eschews any scrap of individuality and free will.

e: also "you people" is incredibly rude, regardless of race.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:
Tried the mocha smoothie along with my communion on Sunday and hoo lawd it is DELICIOUS.

Other fun finds: $20 (actually $40!) off a TravelPro MaxLite rolling suitcase.
A Vornado spaceheater with safety features that works really well for my computer dungeon. Reviews were a little mixed on how reliable it is, but Costco so who cares?

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

FilthyImp posted:

That's in addition to the unprofessional and really out of place lecture they had to sit though before paying for their poo poo.

Totally agreed that it was a bad move and she should have been reprimanded if not worse.

jerry seinfel
Jun 25, 2007

I went to costco a week ago and was in like at the food court and had a boomer ready to kill me for a hotdog

dude comes up to me super aggressively: are you waiting?
me: yeah
dude: ... are you waiting to order???
me: yes, i need to order

so dude positions himself to my right while i have a shopping cart in front of me. when it's my turn to order he tries to loving charge ahead of me so i just pretended i was pushing my cart off to the side so i could speak to the cashier.

my girlfriend told me he gave me the dirtiest look and was pacing behind me as he waited and then his wife came up to yell at him that she was ready to leave

what im saying is there are heretics in the church. had a good brisket sandwich tho.

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

Taima posted:

Hopefully this doesn't derail the discussion into a "was that really racist" evaluation of our Costco interaction. It sure felt like if my wife was white the entire interaction would not have occurred. At the very least this was a result of a cashier seeing the two of us and starting with the assumption that this was not a couple who was shopping together. It's not even a card sharing issue -- I'm the cardholder and was present. My wife just handed her the card since I was still busy unpacking the cart.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

jerry seinfel posted:

I went to costco a week ago and was in like at the food court and had a boomer ready to kill me for a hotdog

what im saying is there are heretics in the church. had a good brisket sandwich tho.
That's almost as bad as getting the ol' cart to the Achilles.

Question though, is it rude to part abandoned/waiting for food carts parked haphazardly? Like Moses, I tend to clear carts that block the path of the righteous. Some samplerfolk act offended that I laid hands on their cart parked diagonally across the aisle.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

Taima posted:

It's just something that happens at specifically managed Costcos, most locations in my experience will not care about two people using the same card no matter what their personal status.

I see three angles:
  • Mixed-race triggered suspicion.
  • East Indians don't rate consideration of low hit-rate on such spiels
  • It was a 'you people' spiel addressing her according to racial stereotype

jerry seinfel
Jun 25, 2007

FilthyImp posted:

That's almost as bad as getting the ol' cart to the Achilles.

Question though, is it rude to part abandoned/waiting for food carts parked haphazardly? Like Moses, I tend to clear carts that block the path of the righteous. Some samplerfolk act offended that I laid hands on their cart parked diagonally across the aisle.

i try to be v attentive to where i leave my cart when im doing something especially when navigating it down aisles. costco just has the general retail thing of people being amazingly unaware of their surroundings but exaggerated because when someone will stop to text with a huge rear end cart turned perpendicular in a tiny produce aisle

pbuc though im going this week for some chicken thighs

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

What did that cashier mean about you can't buy food for her? I would have gone into a lot of sarcastic statements like "Ok, wife, you heard the lady, when we get home you may not eat any of this food or you are in trouble."

Heffer
May 1, 2003

Fashionably Great posted:

My boyfriend uses my membership all the time with his own debit card. I'm usually standing next to him at the checkout, but I've never had a problem with guesting people in and letting them use my membership with their debit/visa. Honestly, I'm not even sure if they look at the name/picture most of the time. My costco is super chill in general.

Always assumed they matched the names from the membership to the debit card. Whenever I've helped a friend out, I just tell them to pay in cash.

bio347
Oct 29, 2012
Technically speaking, Costco memberships are non-transferable (even says so right on it). It has your name and picture (probably) and only you are able to use it to purchase things. Silly as it is, that includes things like spouses if you haven't each gotten your own card for some reason. How aggressively this is enforced can depend pretty heavily on the building, and even then on the specific employees you're dealing with.

Heffer posted:

Always assumed they matched the names from the membership to the debit card. Whenever I've helped a friend out, I just tell them to pay in cash.
Yeah, guests are allowed to buy stuff on someone else's membership with cash (only) and if you alert the cashier ahead of time there shouldn't be any issues.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

bio347 posted:

Silly as it is, that includes things like spouses if you haven't each gotten your own card for some reason. How aggressively this is enforced can depend pretty heavily on the building, and even then on the specific employees you're dealing with.
True, but does it matter who hands over the card or which Debit card gets swiped if the member is literally 2 feet away from the cashier? If I swing by on the way home and load the cart up with midol and Tampax do I then get questioned about who those items are for?

If they're that protective of the membership rights, why extend the ability for friends to purchase things with cash at all.

I understand I can't just toss my card to my cousin and say go hog wild, but if the member is standing right there is it that much of a problem?

I guess this is all due to every store being run slightly differently as well.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

jerry seinfel posted:

dude comes up to me super aggressively: are you waiting?
me: yeah
dude: ... are you waiting to order???
me: yes, i need to order

so dude positions himself to my right while i have a shopping cart in front of me. when it's my turn to order he tries to loving charge ahead of me so i just pretended i was pushing my cart off to the side so i could speak to the cashier.

my girlfriend told me he gave me the dirtiest look and was pacing behind me as he waited and then his wife came up to yell at him that she was ready to leave

My church is always full of boomers and it is loving horrible.

bio347
Oct 29, 2012

FilthyImp posted:

True, but does it matter who hands over the card or which Debit card gets swiped if the member is literally 2 feet away from the cashier? If I swing by on the way home and load the cart up with midol and Tampax do I then get questioned about who those items are for?

If they're that protective of the membership rights, why extend the ability for friends to purchase things with cash at all.

I understand I can't just toss my card to my cousin and say go hog wild, but if the member is standing right there is it that much of a problem?

I guess this is all due to every store being run slightly differently as well.
Well, Costco may be "kinder and gentler" Capitalism in a lot of ways, but it's still Capitalism. As far as I understand/can speculate about it, there's two major parts:
a) Costco's deals are in part subsidized by the membership fees, so they don't want people who haven't paid to get the benefits thereof.
b) Membership fees are basically free money, and so they want to induce guests to sign up.

The cash-only thing (as it contradicts the first point) is pretty much specifically designed to let guests get a taste while also making it irritating enough that wouldn't you rather just sign up for your own membership (you both get a $10 cash card if you do!). Once someone has their own, they tend to shop more and then renew and then you can convince them to upgrade to exec and get the CC and the more invested they are the more they visit and spend. It's insidious. Full of value, yes, but insidious nonetheless.

belt
May 12, 2001

by Nyc_Tattoo
I tried the Costco food court chili for the first time today because it was like 20 degrees with freezing rain outside. It's pretty decent. Gonna have to add the dog next time and do a little chili dog action though.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

Taima posted:

how could you not see what's clearly racist there, between the dogwhistles and profiling.

and before you mention rules, it was obvious she was okay with the transaction after she was aware they were married, I wonder why she didn't think they were married in the first place and doubled down on it so hard instead of just clarifying :thunk:

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
You know what isn't racist?

Those DOGS.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

I;m thinkin bout thos dogs.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

SilvergunSuperman posted:

I;m thinkin bout rasil profilin.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

ArbitraryC posted:

and before you mention rules, it was obvious she was okay with the transaction after she was aware they were married, I wonder why she didn't think they were married in the first place and doubled down on it so hard instead of just clarifying :thunk:

InternetJunky posted:

Cashier, after checking the photo on the card, launches into a huge spiel about how my wife can't use someone else's Costco card. When my wife points out that the card belongs to me (still unloading at the time), cashier gets even more exasperated saying "he's not allowed to buy stuff for you on his card either." She went into a huge speech about how she'll get in trouble if she allows this and "she's sick and tired of dealing with people like you" and honestly I don't remember everything because I was a bit stunned by the exchange. Finally I asked if she gave all married couples this hard of a time when shopping together and she shut up and finished ringing everything up.

Did we read the same story? She was never ok with the transaction "once she was aware they were married", in fact she specifically indicated twice that she wasn't even after understanding that they were together (marital status is completely irrelevant in terms of these rules btw) she just shut the gently caress up and completed the transaction, which was the right move because she was being an idiot. We know from the story that the cashier was already completing the transaction when she was told, near the end, that they were married, so obviously that didn't change the calculus.

She also specifically indicated that she found the general transaction against the store rules, which backs up my synopsis a lot more than it backs up yours.

sorry I just don't agree with your points, nor do I feel that you are accurately portraying the story as written. That's ok though, I doubt either of us wants to argue about this and it's fine to have different opinions.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug
she rang them up because they weren't doing anything wrong after ranting about "you people" when she was called out on her racist behavior. It's mindboggling you could interpret it any other way. There's a very obvious reason she didn't think they were married in the first place and it coincides with her sheepishly putting her head down and doing her job when she realized they were.

Honestly he should have gone to customer service over it.

Snowmankilla
Dec 6, 2000

True, true

belt
May 12, 2001

by Nyc_Tattoo
Little guy just wanted his Costco dog.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

SilvergunSuperman posted:

I;m thinkin bout thos dogs.

Hell... same

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

Oh yah the kicker turned out to have Downs Syndrome and the Puncher/Dad when he realized went into "oh poo poo oh poo poo sorry" from what i remember of the full video

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
I hope Valhallah is just the liquor, meat, and foodcourt areas of Costco.

I will fight honorably to the death for such an afterlife.

Lupin
Feb 21, 2007
The entire incident could have been avoided if you had studied the holy scripture and made use of Sinegal 4:13.

"And it was declared that all members, regardless of colour or gender, shall receive one free Household Card for anyone over the age of 18 and living at the same address."

PBUC

nmagness
Sep 16, 2013

My non-store Citi visa card was rudely converted to a Citi MasterCard which is not accepted as a valid tithe. Is the Costco Citi Visa worth using outside the church if one were to apply for it?

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Lupin posted:

The entire incident could have been avoided if you had studied the holy scripture and made use of Sinegal 4:13.

"And it was declared that all members, regardless of colour or gender, shall receive one free Household Card for anyone over the age of 18 and living at the same address."

PBUC

"""you people"""

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

that one time i was bonkin hard and needed some food for sports

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
high quality gasoline, and high quality fuel for the body, at rock bottom prices. PBUC.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Costco needs valet fueling.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Costco needs valet fueling.

Disagree. One congregation. One line.

Divide the church and it will fall.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Also people queuing in the road to get into the Costco fuel queue really pisses me off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Also people queuing in the road to get into the Costco fuel queue really pisses me off.

its bad/old design. the older costcos have this issue.

mine has 18 pumps IIRC and a parking lots worth or run up. the older ones are loving disasters though.

WATCH YOUR CAR if you are there mid-day. Ive seen fender benders all the time. Saw two old men hit each-other, not notice, and both drive off at the same time a few months ago.