Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

The cathars were succesfully wiped out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
I started a Vicky2 game as the Ottomans but I got horribly lost. I remember I have to set the NFs to get 2% clergy everywhere for the research. Then I realized my financial situation is poo poo so I raised taxes, which somehow led to soldier pops declining while there was a general population growth.
Not being able to enact reforms due to the government type was kinda bad too.

Once it came to war I had to recheck the wiki to see how army compositions even worked. Ended up easily taking back my Levantine cores but then got owned when I declared on Persia and the Russians intervened.

Anyone got some tips on priorities as the Ottomans? Or for Vicky2 in general, been a couple years since I last played it.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Tomn posted:

Insane for any conflict, not just the 19th century. Estimates vary, but tend around suggesting that 60-70% of all Paraguyan men died.
To put it into context, Serbia lost a little over 30% of its 15+ male population during WW1 if you trust contemporary Serbian sources. Yeah, it'd have to be pretty insane, to so outmatch the casualties of a country that itself suffered casualties that make the Western Front seem like a light skirmish.

Ghetto Prince
Sep 11, 2010

got to be mellow, y'all

Demiurge4 posted:

Yeah, them and everyone around them who had anything worth looting, but they were in a terrible position, out there in the plains of southern France.

The Hussites, on the other hand, just sat behind their mountains and wiped out all four crusades sent against them, and made peace with the Pope, then they wiped out the Pope's surprise fifth crusade and got themselves declared a legitimate Catholic rite.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

How do I convert farmers to craftsmen in Victoria 2? I have so many empty factories even though my literacy rate is over %50.

e: Is using your national focus the only way to slowly convert them? I'd been using them to attract immigrants

Away all Goats fucked around with this message at 11:39 on Feb 19, 2018

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
You can check the chances for promotion by hovering over the individual pops. The most important is definitely making sure all of their life needs are met though.

E: NF just increases the chances of promotion. If you have too many negatives for other reasons it'll do absolutely nothing.

You could also be experiencing demotions if all three tiers of needs aren't met in your craftsmen.

Rynoto fucked around with this message at 11:42 on Feb 19, 2018

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Star posted:

The thirty year war approached such levels in some places at least.

Yeah, the thirty year's war was what immediately came to mind, but it's been a while since I looked at it and the number I recalled was something like 1/3rd of all Germans. Narrowing that down to something like "fighting age men" would probably tip that over 1/2, but what do I know.

Anyway, lol, I too thought that he was describing a weird V2 game he was playing.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Ghetto Prince posted:

Yeah, them and everyone around them who had anything worth looting, but they were in a terrible position, out there in the plains of southern France.

The Hussites, on the other hand, just sat behind their mountains and wiped out all four crusades sent against them, and made peace with the Pope, then they wiped out the Pope's surprise fifth crusade and got themselves declared a legitimate Catholic rite.

Hussites were cool, shame about all the infighting and how factional they were what with some factions deciding anyone who isn't a hussite needs to be utterly exterminated without mercy.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Demiurge4 posted:

I always figured that Cathars were kind of a problem that would solve themselves, but apparently they weren't, somehow...

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Away all Goats posted:

How do I convert farmers to craftsmen in Victoria 2? I have so many empty factories even though my literacy rate is over %50.

e: Is using your national focus the only way to slowly convert them? I'd been using them to attract immigrants

Protip: Unless you modded it, the Encourage Immigration NF is completely worthless. It only makes pops within your country more likely to pick a province if they migrate, it doesn't affect immigrants from other countries.

Westminster System
Jul 4, 2009
Its useful for colonies so you can make them states, but yes.

Gladi
Oct 23, 2008

Ghetto Prince posted:

Yeah the population of Bohemia only decreased by 50 percent, from 4 million to 2, and they had to start raiding neighbouring countries for goods and food. It took 3 centuries for the land to recover.

You know maybe we are better off without some simulation mechanics in Paradox games.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Rynoto posted:

You can check the chances for promotion by hovering over the individual pops. The most important is definitely making sure all of their life needs are met though.

E: NF just increases the chances of promotion. If you have too many negatives for other reasons it'll do absolutely nothing.

You could also be experiencing demotions if all three tiers of needs aren't met in your craftsmen.

GrossMurpel posted:

Protip: Unless you modded it, the Encourage Immigration NF is completely worthless. It only makes pops within your country more likely to pick a province if they migrate, it doesn't affect immigrants from other countries.

Oh that explains a lot. Is there anything I can do to help pops meet their needs other than just reducing their tax rate as much as possible?

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
Reduce taxes and if you're a small nation without access to great power trading privileges you could run negative tariffs to subsidize the importing of goods from other countries. The highest rank GP gets first dibs on all trade before going onto the next and so on. Passing Minimum wage laws later on will drastically help with the needs and fuel an explosion of promotions. The negative tariffs will also help feed your artisans and keep people happy so it can sometimes pay for itself or even turn a profit over positive tariffs.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

Away all Goats posted:

Oh that explains a lot. Is there anything I can do to help pops meet their needs other than just reducing their tax rate as much as possible?

Depends - if they're missing a specific resource that you don't have within your sphere, conquering or sphereing a country with said resource could help fix things. Taking RGO-increasing techs could improve the income of the pops working those RGOs if they have a market to sell the surplus resources to - though on the other side of the coin, taking RGO-increasing techs could actually put farming and laborer pops out of work as fewer people are needed to do their jobs, which will cause them to demote to craftsmen instead, so win-win really.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

A Buttery Pastry posted:

To put it into context, Serbia lost a little over 30% of its 15+ male population during WW1 if you trust contemporary Serbian sources. Yeah, it'd have to be pretty insane, to so outmatch the casualties of a country that itself suffered casualties that make the Western Front seem like a light skirmish.

In retrospect it was rather unwise of Paraguay to start a war with Brazil, Argentina and Uruguay all at the same time. A bit of a disparity in war making potential there.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011
If you're a small poo poo power, you'll always have trouble fulfilling all your population's needs. I don't think you should really lower taxes, remember that the percentage you set is still affected by tax efficiency so your 100% tax is most likely 23% or something.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Ideally you don't want to be sitting on a huge surplus (as that's money that could be given to your pops to fulfill needs), but especially as lower tier nations you'll need some saved up to weather weird market fluctuations or to buy goods from the market to build up your infrastructure/pay for military spending.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012
Whoa, a Fallout-themed total conversion mod for Hearts of Iron 4 just came out in alpha on steam workshop.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1303741106

EasternBronze
Jul 19, 2011

I registered for the Selective Service! I'm also racist as fuck!
:downsbravo:
Don't forget to ignore me!
Yeah Ive been playing Caesars Legion and its pretty good.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

Whoa, a Fallout-themed total conversion mod for Hearts of Iron 4 just came out in alpha on steam workshop.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1303741106

Seems weird they don't have all of north america when there's enough canon or semi-canon sources for nearly all of it and a whole game set in the east coast.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Baronjutter posted:

Seems weird they don't have all of north america when there's enough canon or semi-canon sources for nearly all of it and a whole game set in the east coast.

The map is completely different from vanilla, Caesar's Legion and the NCR both have around as many provinces as the USSR, and the focus trees are insanely in-depth and everybody has 100+ options. The major factions all get a ton of annexation and post-annexation focuses too. I think they wanted to keep the scope narrow. The mod team says they worked on it for over a year.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Baronjutter posted:

Are there? Even that limited map seems like it's 80% made up.

Like we know a bit about a small area around a handful of major cities in the east, and a vague guess at the approximate territory of places like the NCR, but otherwise it's kinda... vague.

Honestly a Paradox map painting game seems poorly suited for something like Fallout. I'd picture a Fallout strategy game more like an old Civilization game before there were borders or territory control rules. Like, you've got a handful of widely scattered settlements, and everything that's not actively being spotted by a unit falls back into the dark Fog of War, and the FoW is always popping up mutants and raiders and poo poo who come in and pillage your farms and improvements. Commodities like fresh water & weapons would have to be moved around by trade caravans like Sid Meier's Colonization.

Fallout and the radioactive desert are definitely not an area where I picture WW2 style front lines and massed divisions of troops.

EDIT: But, I mean, it's always cool to have a new scenario to play shooty mans with

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

Fintilgin posted:

Are there? Even that limited map seems like it's 80% made up.

Like we know a bit about a small area around a handful of major cities in the east, and a vague guess at the approximate territory of places like the NCR, but otherwise it's kinda... vague.

Honestly a Paradox map painting game seems poorly suited for something like Fallout. I'd picture a Fallout strategy game more like an old Civilization game before there were borders or territory control rules. Like, you've got a handful of widely scattered settlements, and everything that's not actively being spotted by a unit falls back into the dark Fog of War, and the FoW is always popping up mutants and raiders and poo poo who come in and pillage your farms and improvements. Commodities like fresh water & weapons would have to be moved around by trade caravans like Sid Meier's Colonization.

Fallout and the radioactive desert are definitely not an area where I picture WW2 style front lines and massed divisions of troops.

EDIT: But, I mean, it's always cool to have a new scenario to play shooty mans with

Especially strange that you are researching and manufacturing infantry weapons tech by tech, rather than scavenging it

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I just wanted to see the horrible slave city of Pittsburgh

James The 1st
Feb 23, 2013
What are your opinions on Stellaris now? I haven't played it much since release (mostly due to time constraints).

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Well, whatever opinions people have right now will most likely be invalidated in literally a matter of hours when the looming massive overhaul drops.

Crazycryodude fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Feb 22, 2018

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

Enjoy posted:

Especially strange that you are researching and manufacturing infantry weapons tech by tech, rather than scavenging it

There is a bit of that. There are unique and advanced techs that the national focuses unlock. Like the Brotherhood dealing with the Shi and taking the Gauss weapons or their fancy vertibirds.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
So about that 20 infamy limit in Vicky2... it really is a hard limit. I figured I'd take the risk and justify against Montenegro (pretty borders) and the Ottomans at the same time in my Austria game.
Took about 3 months until everyone around me war dec'd me after both justifications blew up.

Getting back into this game is really hard. One other thing, why are the "Italy does not exist" and "German Reich does not exist" conditions for the Austria-Hungary decision marked as not fulfilled at game start?

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

It's actually 25, but yeah. Wars of containment loving suck.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

James The 1st posted:

What are your opinions on Stellaris now? I haven't played it much since release (mostly due to time constraints).

it's very good op

nobody plays it though because everyone waits for the latest expansion and mega patch :v:

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

James The 1st posted:

Crazycryodude posted:

Well, whatever opinions people have right now will most likely be invalidated in literally a matter of hours when the looming massive overhaul drops.

The patch doesnt fix either of the worst parts of the game - the bad, funky, boring space combat that the player has no input on, and pop tile management. So if you ask me, it will still be bad, but I think I'm in the minority :shrug:

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

The patch doesnt fix either of the worst parts of the game - the bad, funky, boring space combat that the player has no input on, and pop tile management. So if you ask me, it will still be bad, but I think I'm in the minority :shrug:

I don't mean to invalidate your opinion, but I am genuinely curious why "no input on combat" is a particularly bad thing in Stellaris when this is true of pretty much every Paradox game ever. It is just the fact that unlike other Paradox games it models the actual movement of the ships but then doesn't permit direct control over them? If so, it may not go as far as you'd like but there actually ARE some steps taken in that direction - they're bringing back computer modules that affect the decision-making of different classes of ships.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Tomn posted:

I don't mean to invalidate your opinion, but I am genuinely curious why "no input on combat" is a particularly bad thing in Stellaris when this is true of pretty much every Paradox game ever.
This is a reasonable question.

Tomn posted:

It is just the fact that unlike other Paradox games it models the actual movement of the ships but then doesn't permit direct control over them? If so, it may not go as far as you'd like but there actually ARE some steps taken in that direction - they're bringing back computer modules that affect the decision-making of different classes of ships.
This is pretty much exactly it - the player has 'control' of each individual ship in a way that you do not have in any other Paradox game. The player also gets to design these ships in a more granular way than they can in any other Paradox game - in EU4 you do not pick how many cannons are on a galleon, or how they are arranged; how Artillery units are organized and what kind of shot they utilize; you can modify some variables on ships in HoI games but not to the level or detail that you can in Stellaris. You can build buildings in CKII to get more of one unit but you cannot control how they deploy or how they are used in combat.

In Stellaris one can split one ship off and maneuver it around a system, outside of the arbitrary "combat engagement range" to join an engagement from another position/angle, attacking an enemy fleet from "behind", where, if, say... said ship was built for a long range engagement, it could attack an already engaged fleet away from an ongoing skirmish where enemy ships would have a hard time disengaging to attack the separate long range ship. That is a low level of player-controlled tactics that the player loses once a battle officially starts. You cannot do the same with a fleet in EU4 or Vic2 or an army in anything but the HoI series. In those games a unit joining a battle simply....joins the battle, where there are tactics modifiers that are out of the player's control. EU4 even has an army variable called "Tactics".

In Stellaris, I could design a ship to fight at long range, but in Stellaris's combat, when combat "starts" when two fleets get close enough to each other, the ships fly at each other. Period. My ship designed for long range combat flies at my opponent's ships, which is just nonsense. I can design the ship, move it around individually on the galactic map, but once an arbitrary line is crossed and an engagement starts, I lose all control, the ships rigidly and slowly move into an arbitrary formation that I have no input on, then slowly trundle towards the enemy fleet where -if one side does not get annihilated by overwhelming fire or runs away- a skirmish eventually starts. Every time. Regardless of what kind of tactics you would like your ships to use. I want my long range ships to fly away from enemy ships, but there is no way to do that (yet).
~If I had a little bit more control of my ships, even if it was ships of a like variety or something, and could try to do flanking maneuvers with close range ships or have the long range ships fly away from hostiles to keep the engagement range up I would be a lot happier, but I got the impression that even though they are adding computers in this new big patch, they wont do enough to make me enjoy the game again.

edit: To add to why I so thoroughly dislike the above: I do not like how ship size on the galactic map is ship size in combat. Combat that happens at that scale.
Using the example above, if you want to build long range ships but they get caught at the edge of a system and a hostile fleet lands on them, they're hosed. That kinda bad luck or bad positioning, but to me it is also a really strange way to handle instances of combat. I'm used to a tactical battle starting or zooming in to the fight. My point is that Space is big and empty - it should be hard to land on top of an enemy fleet, yet it is really commonplace in Stellaris.

edit2: I also understand that the above can be seen as neurotic so if you think its funny that I care enough to write that many words where I should simply deal with it and play the drat game, thats cool.

AAAAA! Real Muenster fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Feb 22, 2018

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

My problem with Stellaris is that there is so many choices and things to do that ultimately are completely superficial.

You have this ship designer that lets you create various, specialized spacecraft, but there is no reason to ever do that - most of the techs are just incremental upgrades of the existing stuff, and among the various systems there are obvious no-brainers and trap choices. Most of the time you just visit this screen when your scientists invent Laser V and you need to replace Laser IV on all your designs and maybe put a better reactor on them.

Or there is this outstanding faction system, where you have to appease various political organizations or face disappointment of their supporters. But things those factions ask you to do are often things you would do yourself (my favorite: settling Gaia worlds makes Spiritualists happy). And if you're Space Hitler who literally exterminates entire populations, just produce a lot of Defense Armies and you will never have to worry about Unrest again.

Or there is that democracy minigame, where you have to fulfill promises your elected ruler made, but there are exactly two (build more research or mining stations), nothing happens if you fail, and fulfilling them nets you some Influence. Which you already have enough of, as you are a Democracy.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

After playing for a bit, the changes to border range and outposts are really good. Actually feels like a rush to grab land, claim stars and secure chokepoints. And early game wars aren't completely decided by the starting station anymore which is nice.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
It doesn't bother me much, but Stellaris combat absolutely is in a weird place where you have so much control over individual units until combat starts and you can sometimes micro out weird flanking advantages.

I wouldn't want to see RTS style unit control added to combat, but the game as is does have an off feeling to combat.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Fintilgin posted:

It doesn't bother me much, but Stellaris combat absolutely is in a weird place where you have so much control over individual units until combat starts and you can sometimes micro out weird flanking advantages.

I wouldn't want to see RTS style unit control added to combat, but the game as is does have an off feeling to combat.
Yeah I cant say that I would advocate for RTS style unit control either, but being able to set some combat logic to at least be able to influence the battles once they start, even if they are stuck at their awkward scaling and combat being a bizarro boolean on/off thing where I lose all control when it is on but have delicate control when off.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Yeah I cant say that I would advocate for RTS style unit control either, but being able to set some combat logic to at least be able to influence the battles once they start, even if they are stuck at their awkward scaling and combat being a bizarro boolean on/off thing where I lose all control when it is on but have delicate control when off.

Well, apparently 2.0 has multiple combat computers per ship class that can determine behavior? So this might be sort of in?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Fintilgin posted:

Well, apparently 2.0 has multiple combat computers per ship class that can determine behavior? So this might be sort of in?
Yeah I got excited when I read up on 'em but after reading the dev post about them I was less excited because they are super limited in scope and which ship they can go on. This may have changed since that dev diary, though.

I have some friends that want to play it multiplayer so I'll probably try to give it an honest go sometime soon, but things like needing to research the computers and other simple/basic things that we have, in essence, today is beyond me. Like....I have to research a tech to have a fleet doctrine? Really?