Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

It wouldn't have happened if the processor had a gun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Wouldn't have happened if it was ARMed

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Some people have too much money.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

Potato Salad posted:

Yes. Yessss

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Potato Salad posted:

:golfclap:

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
Has there been any actual benchmarks or at least informed discussion on the relative performance between the Intel w/Radeon and HBM2 and EMIB vs the AMD 2400G w/ Vega?

The Intel thing seems like it's going to be way quicker with the HBM2 in there giving it mad bandwidth. Maybe we won't know until the Intel poo poo launches?

https://en.wikichip.org/wiki/amd/ryzen_5/2400g
https://en.wikichip.org/wiki/intel/core_i7/i7-8809g

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

I think it's going to get utterly murdered by the Intel hbm variant.

Which annoys me as AMD could have launched that with ryzen cores and it'd own in a nuc or tiny steam box, and it's their tech.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
The bus between the things was Intel’s tech. Regardless, I don’t think it matters, because it’s designed for pre-builts and you’re not going to see desktop motherboards with that socket.

The whole point of the enterprise seems to be halting the advance of ARM in laptops, since the latest iPads have single core performance that rival MacBooks and have had Apple evangelism outposts like Gruber‘s blog and ATP mulling the necessity of Intel in MacBooks. System builders are a smaller segment than the people buying laptops like disposable objects, and both Intel and AMD suffer as X86 stakeholders if that market even begins a shift off the platform.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Feb 18, 2018

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Potato Salad posted:

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Jago posted:

Has there been any actual benchmarks or at least informed discussion on the relative performance between the Intel w/Radeon and HBM2 and EMIB vs the AMD 2400G w/ Vega?

The Intel thing seems like it's going to be way quicker with the HBM2 in there giving it mad bandwidth. Maybe we won't know until the Intel poo poo launches?

https://en.wikichip.org/wiki/amd/ryzen_5/2400g
https://en.wikichip.org/wiki/intel/core_i7/i7-8809g

There's not much point comparing those two because they're made to serve completely different market segments. That Intel chip is going to cost three times as much.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
Sure there's a point. We can compare the interconnect technology, bandwidth v cu's v frequency and cost is an interesting metric as well. There is crossover too... Do you buy a nuc, or build a probably cheaper alternative from an AMD apu?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Craptacular! posted:

The bus between the things was Intel’s tech. Regardless, I don’t think it matters, because it’s designed for pre-builts and you’re not going to see desktop motherboards with that socket.

The whole point of the enterprise seems to be halting the advance of ARM in laptops, since the latest iPads have single core performance that rival MacBooks and have had Apple evangelism outposts like Gruber‘s blog and ATP mulling the necessity of Intel in MacBooks. System builders are a smaller segment than the people buying laptops like disposable objects, and both Intel and AMD suffer as X86 stakeholders if that market even begins a shift off the platform.

It's telling that the best the "ARM ANY DAY NOW" crew can come up with is that some of Apple's most neglected models of laptop are vaguely comparable to ARM on certain single core only benchmark. For instance the MacBook Air is still running ultra low power Broadwell and the only change they've made for the CPU since 2015 has been to bump the base model up to 1.8 GHz base clocks.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

I would be curious if AMD made a competing product using infinity fabric instead of EMIB and whether the low clocks on HBM would kill performance (if IF throughput is necessarily tied to memory clocks).

It would probably need an enormous socket like TR4.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

fishmech posted:

It's telling that the best the "ARM ANY DAY NOW" crew can come up with is that some of Apple's most neglected models of laptop are vaguely comparable to ARM on certain single core only benchmark. For instance the MacBook Air is still running ultra low power Broadwell and the only change they've made for the CPU since 2015 has been to bump the base model up to 1.8 GHz base clocks.

So long as "powerful laptop" = big and chunky with a heavier battery than other models, it's going to be the case. Please note I actually don't own any, but have seen other people try to use them on buses and airplanes.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Craptacular! posted:

So long as "powerful laptop" = big and chunky with a heavier battery than other models, it's going to be the case.

What are you smoking? There's no need to have a "big and chunky" laptop to use a CPU newer than 2015, or even to go up to 4 real cores.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!

NewFatMike posted:

I would be curious if AMD made a competing product using infinity fabric instead of EMIB and whether the low clocks on HBM would kill performance (if IF throughput is necessarily tied to memory clocks).

It would probably need an enormous socket like TR4.

AMD is doing that though, and thier version will use the full die (28CU instead of 24). I'd love to see it on TR4, but that'd be a huge investment for something no one might invest in.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

FaustianQ posted:

AMD is doing that though, and thier version will use the full die (28CU instead of 24). I'd love to see it on TR4, but that'd be a huge investment for something no one might invest in.

Oh wow I had totally forgotten. Do we have anything on that after the SiSoft posting from December?

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

:matters:

OP finally replied with backstory on the Bulletproof Threadripper

quote:

The PC is not mine and everyone involved was ok. The owner of the PC was related in drugs and lived in Central America. They lost a lot of other expensive property and it looks like property that was the main target of the attack.
This photo is about two months old. This is not how the pc was found. It was opened up and anything they though they could save they removed.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
lmao my spare PC somehow had AMD services running even though it had never used any AMD hardware since a fresh install

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

Okay that's pretty loving nice of them TBH

I'm starting a better job in a couple months and will be looking at a THREADRIPPER V2 or whatever it's going to be called.

THREADRIPHARDER obviously

Palladium posted:

lmao my spare PC somehow had AMD services running even though it had never used any AMD hardware since a fresh install

Cool story bro

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Palladium posted:

x64 is AMD technology. To run x64 you need AMD services.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

SlayVus posted:

32 bit is enough for that man, because lmao like AMD could ever out do intel in 64 bit, see how well itanium will take off.

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."

Palladium posted:

reformat

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

I'm a PAE man

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

SlayVus posted:

I don't believe you re: the second sentence. I have seen embedded operating systems running on x64 that most definitely do not have any "AMD services" running

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Threadtearer

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Threadviscerator

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Threadripandtear,ripandtearyourthreader

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

🅱️readripper

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Thread 2: Ripper Boogaloo

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

PerrineClostermann posted:

Thread's not even a year old. You AMD people and your refreshes :rolleyes:

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

:golfclap:

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

PerrineClostermann posted:

Threadripper 3: Rip Threads with a Vengeance

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

https://browser.geekbench.com/v4/cpu/6690641

Pinnacle Ridge lookin close. Ryzen 5 2600 sporting what looks to be a non-enginering sample ID string on Geekbench. Still in the reference AMD motherboard though.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Cygni posted:

https://browser.geekbench.com/v4/cpu/6690641

Pinnacle Ridge lookin close. Ryzen 5 2600 sporting what looks to be a non-enginering sample ID string on Geekbench. Still in the reference AMD motherboard though.
It should be out in april.

I want to see the OC benchmarks. The shrink should give it some serious OC headroom (10%-15%) compared to before. If they can hit 4.4-4.6 reliably I'll upgrade from my i7 3770k and then probably upgrade again in 2019.

2019 is also going to be a big year for AMD on the server if they deliver with zen2.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Khorne posted:

I want to see the OC benchmarks. The shrink should give it some serious OC headroom (10%-15%) compared to before. If they can hit 4.4-4.6 reliably I'll upgrade from my i7 3770k and then probably upgrade again in 2019.

2019 is also going to be a big year for AMD on the server if they deliver with zen2.

The licensing savings for SMB moving to single die, 32 core Threaddenwerffen are freaking great

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Potato Salad posted:

The licensing savings for SMB moving to single die, 32 core Threaddenwerffen are freaking great

All the big vendors have been moving to per-core licensing models around the time Intel started hitting 12/16c per socket. Expect more of that.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Khorne posted:

Is it the same process as the Apus? Not seeing any worthwhile overclocks on those anywhere.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

All the big vendors have been moving to per-core licensing models around the time Intel started hitting 12/16c per socket. Expect more of that.

bring back CMT (for muh licenses).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

Is it the same process as the Apus? Not seeing any worthwhile overclocks on those anywhere.
no, the APUs are still the same original 14nm LPP

the ones on 14nm 12nm LPP+ will appear end of year at the earliest