Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
Has Barry killed anyone since returning from the speed force? Has he killed anyone other than Savatar since Flashpoint and he sort of recommited himself to not killing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Tree Dude posted:

Has Barry killed anyone since returning from the speed force? Has he killed anyone other than Savatar since Flashpoint and he sort of recommited himself to not killing?

No. Also, I know it's largely a joke, but who, since the start of the series, has Barry actually willfully killed so far?

Psychepath
Apr 30, 2003

Tree Dude posted:

He did just appear in Star City exactly long enough to carry Oliver and Diggle maybe a mile or two, then disappear while the city was under the threat of a thermobaric bomb, so he could have been responsible for a lot of deaths due to laziness.

(The Arrow writers are very bad this season)

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

I've always assumed that STAR labs has enough income from licensing patents, working with the city, designing Iron Height's meta ward, etc. that it can sustain a the payroll of Katlin, Cisco, and probably Iris now (she's there all the time running team flash) as well as all the other off the screen poo poo like the janitor staff they likely have come in once or twice a week, the light bill, all those ten thousand calorie energy bars Barry eats, etc.

Edit: STAR labs is big enough they could rent out the top three floors as office space for enough to pay for fixing the big goddamn hole in the roof.

8one6 fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Feb 10, 2018

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

nine-gear crow posted:

No. Also, I know it's largely a joke, but who, since the start of the series, has Barry actually willfully killed so far?

In season 2 a lot of the psuedo-science solutions happened to leave the guy he was fighting dead. Like turning the sand guy into literal glass (which is pretty loving horrific) and ummm I think he suffocated Atom Smasher as well? And I think there were more, can't remember off the top of my head. It did for sure get to a point where there were multiple weeks in a row where villains were being killed which is when the bloodlust meme started.

Last season they got rid of no-lunch supermax and made it a point to have all the scrub list guys just end up in jail rather than die fighting Barry, which was a welcome change. I'm fine with them retconning it, even when he was killing dudes it was at least arguably in self defense, and in any case it's hard to blame the current writing team for stuff from 4 writing teams ago (seriously the mandatory turn over was the dumbest thing).

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

bentacos posted:

What's it like writing for The Flash?

It's more like a random word generator and a bunch of guys put them into some kind of order.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
I mean if your options are "ignore the sand monster terrorizing the city" and "use the only weapon you've developed that works against him and is incidentally lethal," what are you gonna pick?

Plus, without doing any research the only villain I can remember from this season who isn't a murderer is Hazard... And that's not a new thing... They usually at least establish the bad guys as pretty bad before sciencing them to death

Bozart
Oct 28, 2006

Give me the finger.

Nodosaur posted:

I realize this thread is all up on “Barry Allen is history’s greatest monster”, but I’m sure if Cisco wanted to make money off his inventions he’s made under the employment of Star Labs (and, you know, the writers thought about it), Barry would be all “sure, whatever” and let him.

and then next episode he would sacrifice all of his work to beat a meta who has the power of talking really quietly

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I like to think that Devoe inhabited Hazard because she was the one that was repentant and it would hurt Barry the most. Devoe has gone full on rear end in a top hat evil.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

I do feel like there's something going on with his brain starting to overcook either because he moved it into an incompatible body or he's overloading on powers. They seem to be starting to tease it with him briefly forgetting their first song. I think he keeps switching bodies because he is burning them out faster.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

The season should end with Barry and Team Flash art Devoe's mercy, and just when he's about to kill them, the sky opens up and he's crushed by a falling Waverider.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Davros1 posted:

The season should end with Barry and Team Flash art Devoe's mercy, and just when he's about to kill them, the sky opens up and he's crushed by a falling Waverider.

Barry? I could get behind that

Shaddak
Nov 13, 2011

Rocksicles posted:

Barry? I could get behind that

It'll be fine, they've got a time machine.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Floppychop posted:

Katie Sackhoff as Amunet is campy, with an overdone accent, and is basically downright silly.

Which is perfect for a comic book show like The Flash. I'm happy she's in the show.

She's like a character from the 90s Flash show, complete with a big foam prop weapon.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I just got around to watching and saw hundreds of new posts and got scared. Luckily half of them were about a bad accent.

I kind of like Amunet. She's just completely and unabashedly over the top campy. Isn't that when we all agree Flash is at its best?

Guy A. Person posted:

I do feel like there's something going on with his brain starting to overcook either because he moved it into an incompatible body or he's overloading on powers. They seem to be starting to tease it with him briefly forgetting their first song. I think he keeps switching bodies because he is burning them out faster.

I don't know what Devoe's plan is, why he's body hopping, or any of the biology of it. But I'm assuming the stuff with his wife and murdering Wolfe for no reason is really about him just losing touch with any humanity as he becomes "smarter" and more analytical and whatever. We don't really know Devoe enough to be sure that he would have never violated his wife as horribly as he just did and he's murdered enough people that the idea of him killing Wolfe just because doesn't totally resonate. But that definitely seems to be what they're going for as seen through his wife's eyes.

Oh, and Ralph did the nose thing!

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

STAC Goat posted:

I just got around to watching and saw hundreds of new posts and got scared. Luckily half of them were about a bad accent.

This thread: I want this show to be fun and dumb and campy again like it was back in Season 1.

Also this thread: Auugh, this show is so stupid and campy. What is WRONG with these writers :byodood:

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

nine-gear crow posted:

This thread: I want this show to be fun and dumb and campy again like it was back in Season 1.

Also this thread: Auugh, this show is so stupid and campy. What is WRONG with these writers :byodood:

They can lean into the camp and also have the end result be stupid and bad. See: Legends of Tomorrow.

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
going an entire season without knowing what the goal of the villain is makes it kind of hard to care.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I mean.

That's been most seasons of this stuff.

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...

Nodosaur posted:

I mean.

That's been most seasons of this stuff.

hmm

you're not wrong... but it feels worse this time for some reason.

VictorianQueerLit
Aug 25, 2017
It's been 4 seasons and we still don't know what the goal of the main villain, Barry Allen, even is. He seems content to just randomly destroy timelines and wreck up Central City.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Just personally speaking, knowing a bad guy's motivations is more important than knowing their plans, and for the past two seasons, we had to wait till nearly the end to find out what even drove Zoom or Savitar to begin until the back nine of their respective arcs.

Devoe has already supplied that rather handily, so I'm good with not knowing what his plan is.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

STAC Goat posted:

I kind of like Amunet. She's just completely and unabashedly over the top campy. Isn't that when we all agree Flash is at its best?

She'd be out of place even on Legends of Tomorrow and that's the CW-show that actually succeeds at being both campy and enjoyable. It's real bad.

VictorianQueerLit posted:

It's been 4 seasons and we still don't know what the goal of the main villain, Barry Allen, even is. He seems content to just randomly destroy timelines and wreck up Central City.

To run faster.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

They can lean into the camp

Following.

quote:

and also have the end result be stupid and bad.

Still with you.

quote:

See: Legends of Tomorrow.

And you've lost me.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Tree Dude posted:

hmm

you're not wrong... but it feels worse this time for some reason.

The difference is that it has to seem like the villain has a plan, even if we don't know what it is. If what they're doing seems like it's building toward a particular goal then it doesn't matter if we know what that goal is or not, we'll trust that there is a goal and their actions are bringing them closer to it. And conversely if their actions seem random or self-defeating then it doesn't matter whether we know what their goal is or not, we're not going to believe that they're part of any coherent plan.

Like, in season one you could tell that Thawne was trying to win Barry's trust and help him to use his powers while remaining undetected and you didn't need to know why because he didn't just do random evil things that stood out as not being part of that. In Devoe's case it's impossible to say what he's trying to achieve and he does things that seem to undermine the other things he's doing. It won't matter what his goal ends up being because you can already tell that his plan isn't going to make any sense.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

DeVoe's plan is it become the ultimate speedster, Zoom.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Tiggum posted:

The difference is that it has to seem like the villain has a plan, even if we don't know what it is. If what they're doing seems like it's building toward a particular goal then it doesn't matter if we know what that goal is or not, we'll trust that there is a goal and their actions are bringing them closer to it. And conversely if their actions seem random or self-defeating then it doesn't matter whether we know what their goal is or not, we're not going to believe that they're part of any coherent plan.

Like, in season one you could tell that Thawne was trying to win Barry's trust and help him to use his powers while remaining undetected and you didn't need to know why because he didn't just do random evil things that stood out as not being part of that. In Devoe's case it's impossible to say what he's trying to achieve and he does things that seem to undermine the other things he's doing. It won't matter what his goal ends up being because you can already tell that his plan isn't going to make any sense.

As Barry is too stupid for his actions to be corralled with any conventional form of planning Devoe is instead employing chaos theory.

Or the writers are just really bad. One of the two.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I may be missing something, but I’m not seeing how Devoe’s actiovs conflict with each other. He’s getting impatient about it and making mistakes/not being able to predict things as easily and getting more bloodthirsty, but I haven’t picked up on anything that’s outright contradictory to what he’s been trying to set up. The whole “steal a meta’s powers” lines up with what he started with the bus meta plot and observing everyone, and the divergences get called out by Marlize and are easily reconciled with his degrading mental state. I’m not really seeing how he’s “undermining” things he’s doing outside of that.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

https://twitter.com/JohnWesleyShipp/status/963781078845739008

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Its kind of bizarre that, as far as I've noticed, they never even gave a hand wavey explanation as to why Wally wasn't helping out when Barry was in prison. It seems like something he probably should have come back to town for.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.

muscles like this! posted:

Its kind of bizarre that, as far as I've noticed, they never even gave a hand wavey explanation as to why Wally wasn't helping out when Barry was in prison. It seems like something he probably should have come back to town for.

I'm just going to assume the Legends have already picked him up and we just haven't caught up yet.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Didn't they make a gag in the wedding episode that he fought Starro in his time away?

In my head Wally just ran into Roy Harper and met some new friends who he's fighting Triton with.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

muscles like this! posted:

They cut a scene where Joe calls Wally and Wally just says "it's about loving time" and hangs up.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

V-Men posted:

I'm just going to assume the Legends have already picked him up and we just haven't caught up yet.

That's my going theory too.

bbf2
Nov 22, 2007

"The White Shadow"
Wasn't the reason Wally left in the first place because there was an earlier episode where Barry was incapacitated somehow, the gang tried to do stuff on their own to solve it, and then Wally showed up at the end and was like "UH HOW COME NONE OF YOU THOUGHT TO CALL ME OR NOTICED THAT I WAS GONE?"

R-Type
Oct 10, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
This show is loving garbage. It is a twee wasteland. If we all commit to stop watching it, as I did, it will go away.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
The reason Wally left is that Keynyan Lonsdale needed a mental health break.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

DoctorWhat posted:

The reason Wally left is that Keynyan Lonsdale needed a mental health break.

Cast dramas? He was horribly underused. I hope he gets a legit go on Legends. He's too upbeat for Flash

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Rocksicles posted:

Cast dramas? He was horribly underused. I hope he gets a legit go on Legends. He's too upbeat for Flash

But is he dumb enough for Legends?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

R-Type posted:

This show is loving garbage. It is a twee wasteland. If we all commit to stop watching it, as I did, it will go away.

Quitter. Good TV is for the weak.