Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

I spent the last third of the race terrified Newman would win so I am thrilled with this outcome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sex Weirdo
Jul 24, 2007

Austin Dillon is to Earnhardt Sr as Kylo Ren is to Darth Vader

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

Sex Weirdo posted:

Austin Dillon is to Earnhardt Sr as Kylo Ren is to Darth Vader

Austin Dillon is to Earnhardt Sr as Dark Helmet is to Darth Vader

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

wicka posted:

I spent the last third of the race terrified Newman would win so I am thrilled with this outcome.

Are you some kind of neckist?

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

big nipples big life posted:

Are you some kind of neckist?

I'm a card carrying We Landed On The Moon-ist

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

daslog posted:

Austin Dillon is to Earnhardt Sr as Dark Helmet is to Darth Vader

gently caress that race and gently caress your nerd comparisons.

I enjoyed every minute of it.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 15 days!)

I hope Austin Dillon gets hit by a train.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

wicka posted:

I'm a card carrying We Landed On The Moon-ist

Yeah fair enough

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Feels Villeneuve posted:

I mean, I get why they do it but lol that they can't sell young drivers to fans so instead they sell a dabbing "RIP DALE" memorial plate with a stupid cowboy hat instead. God I loving hate Dillon

He’s a lovely driver IMO.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I saw people on Twitter say Aric was blocking so wasnt hung up that he got wrecked? Was that a thing?

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Also i kinda dig the series with all the old dead wood cleaned out

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

algebra testes posted:

I saw people on Twitter say Aric was blocking so wasnt hung up that he got wrecked? Was that a thing?

He was upset he lost, but said that he threw a block and wasn't blaming Austin because no one's going to lift there.

https://twitter.com/jeff_gluck/status/965373534301315072

kidcoelacanth fucked around with this message at 12:51 on Feb 19, 2018

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Dilion still ran him over when he already had a run. He's poo poo.

Bubba in second owns tho

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Norns posted:

Dilion still ran him over when he already had a run. He's poo poo.

Bubba in second owns tho

Bubba sniped it at the line and Denny melted down about it, but Bubba is 100% cool and good. I'm fine with Dillon dumping Aric mostly because "yeah, it's the 500. If someone did that at the Indy 500 I would feel the same way."

The problem is it's Dillon who won :barf: (at least it wasn't Kyle Busch or Chase)

Also :tif:
https://twitter.com/AustinKarp/status/965604016246935552

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

i watched the finish on youtube and all i gotta say is i wish dillon took himself out with armadillo and the race between hamlin and wallace was for the win instead of second.

if wallace starts putting up consistently good runs i might actually watch this bad dumb sport every now and then for the first time since 2013.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

The race was good. Also no one loving cares if you don't watch nascar

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Norns posted:

The race was good. Also no one loving cares if you don't watch nascar

i love when someone gets overly defensive about something and then claim 'no one cares if you don't watch it'.

i mean gently caress i even said i might start watching again but i guess that's just not good enough.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

No you just have a habbit going into threads for things you don't like and telling people that you don't like it and you don't play it or you don't watch it and no one loving cares

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Norns posted:

No you just have a habbit going into threads for things you don't like and telling people that you don't like it and you don't play it or you don't watch it and no one loving cares

look at this extremely not-caring post

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

:chloe:

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Me when I see NASCAR's tv ratings

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

https://twitter.com/bobpockrass/status/965622960588492806

Dale's Tweet is in Korean. :golfclap:

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

is that chineese or japaneese?

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

I don't think there were even any live Olympic events on during the race. The race started at like 5AM Pyongchang time.

Elitist Bitch
Sep 13, 2007

Dale's tweet also says he's leaving for Korea, lol

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

I thought the race was very entertaining but the ratings are no surprise. They've lost Junior, Gordon, Kenseth, Edwards and Stewart. By the end most of the recognizable vets were already out of the race. They've made the racing so poo poo for so long it's really not a surprise people stopped giving them a chance.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

sportsgenius86 posted:

I thought the race was very entertaining but the ratings are no surprise. They've lost Junior, Gordon, Kenseth, Edwards and Stewart. By the end most of the recognizable vets were already out of the race. They've made the racing so poo poo for so long it's really not a surprise people stopped giving them a chance.

TV ratings don't really matter that much. The stands were full and the Networks will continue to pay massive $$$ for content.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Ratings are bad for everything, across the board. What would've been poo poo NASCAR ratings 20 years ago are now basically the best any network is gonna get.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Live sports are the only hope TV has they're gonna ride it into the ground

E: honestly wonder how much lobbying money the networks have kicked in to the recent push for legalized sports betting, seems like a great way to get people to tune in.

shame on an IGA fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Feb 19, 2018

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

If we're going to have the Xfinity series basically mirror the Cup series, and have the rules packages as close as they are, why not get all crazy and turn Cup/Xfinity into an A/B tour, with the top 5 Xfinity teams from Saturday* getting a set of tires and spots 37-41 in Sunday's race?

*unless you field a Cup driver already qualified into Sunday's race

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind

Boomer The Cannon posted:

If we're going to have the Xfinity series basically mirror the Cup series, and have the rules packages as close as they are, why not get all crazy and turn Cup/Xfinity into an A/B tour, with the top 5 Xfinity teams from Saturday* getting a set of tires and spots 37-41 in Sunday's race?

*unless you field a Cup driver already qualified into Sunday's race

Eliminate Xfinity, make Cup a 70-car national touring series with C/B/A Feature races.

Let's fuckin' go.

SpitztheGreat
Jul 20, 2005
I know a few months ago we all go into it about Danica, but I think it's worth bringing up that when she got into that wreck yesterday my first thought was "please don't be hurt." Yea, it wasn't a particularly bad crash, but it would have been a terribly poetic ending to her career. Reading/hearing her interviews this week has just furthered our understanding of her interest in brand building, something that was very unlikely to be helped by one more race. It was a cash grab from someone that can't possibly need the money she got from finishing 35th. There was no upside to it yesterday, clearly the passion is gone, she's financially secure, and she doesn't want to tie her brands to her racing history- so what's there to gain? I really, REALLY, wish that she would sit out Indy since we've seen a lot more career/life ending accidents there than in NASCAR in recent years.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
The only reason she's doing this is her agent talked her into it. Any argument about her loving racing was nixed by her own words.

I can't even feel bad for her, she's doing it yo herself as a vain cash grab and was very upfront about it.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

SpitztheGreat posted:

I know a few months ago we all go into it about Danica, but I think it's worth bringing up that when she got into that wreck yesterday my first thought was "please don't be hurt." Yea, it wasn't a particularly bad crash, but it would have been a terribly poetic ending to her career. Reading/hearing her interviews this week has just furthered our understanding of her interest in brand building, something that was very unlikely to be helped by one more race. It was a cash grab from someone that can't possibly need the money she got from finishing 35th. There was no upside to it yesterday, clearly the passion is gone, she's financially secure, and she doesn't want to tie her brands to her racing history- so what's there to gain? I really, REALLY, wish that she would sit out Indy since we've seen a lot more career/life ending accidents there than in NASCAR in recent years.

Do we have to rehash this again? The answer hasn't changed.

Peanut, don't even loving start.

SpitztheGreat
Jul 20, 2005
No, there's no need to rehash the same points, but I thought it worth mentioning that I held my breath for a moment yesterday.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

SpitztheGreat posted:

No, there's no need to rehash the same points, but I thought it worth mentioning that I held my breath for a moment yesterday.

To be fair to - I know we disagree on a lot of this, but I am also not looking forward to watching her at Indy. She hasn't driven an open-wheel car in seven years, hasn't driven a DW12 ever, and this new aerokit has drastically reduced downforce. I can't imagine anything good happening.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind

wicka posted:

To be fair to - I know we disagree on a lot of this, but I am also not looking forward to watching her at Indy. She hasn't driven an open-wheel car in seven years, hasn't driven a DW12 ever, and this new aerokit has drastically reduced downforce. I can't imagine anything good happening.

At least it will leave little doubt about her competency as an Indy (500) driver.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

I just hope she doesn't hurt herself at Indy.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 15 days!)

wicka posted:

Peanut, don't even loving start.

It's really funny how I saw that guys post and just scrolled by and wasn't even gonna answer and you're already mad. Get help please

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

The 36 chartered cars are the only ones entered for Atlanta. Harvick and Mikey got their wish.

iwentdoodie posted:

The only reason she's doing this is her agent talked her into it. Any argument about her loving racing was nixed by her own words.

I can't even feel bad for her, she's doing it yo herself as a vain cash grab and was very upfront about it.

I'm beginning to wonder how much her agents have pulled the strings over the years and how in control of her own career she really has been. I've always seen her as an incredibly savvy marketer/business person and envisioned her as someone largely running the show, but now I'm curious.

In other words, it seems like the agents wanted more to do with the double than she does.

E- I spel gud.

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Feb 20, 2018