Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf

Gorilla Salad posted:

One thing which has always pissed me off in games, movies, etc is when they do something like this:

"I have something incredibly important to tell you. You lives depend on what I have to tell you! We are running out of time for me to tell you this thing which your lives depend on! But first, let's talk about something else for a while. Oh no, we've run out of time somehow!"

:ughh:

I don't know if it's a translation thing or just a cultural thing with different audience expectations or what but a bunch of lines of filler where the characters are dithering uselessly and dancing around a subject until you're yelling at the screen for them to just get on with it definitely seems to be a uniquely annoying feature of writing in Japanese games.

Character 1: 'It's because of that incident!'
Character 2: 'That incident!?' *aside to self* Huh? Are they referring to the incident when that certain person did that thing?'
*out loud* Are you referring to the incident when that certain person did that thing?'
'Character 1: 'Yes that is indeed the incident I'm referring to!'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
It's probably the translation getting too literal, as japanese has a bunch of words for similar things, like instead of just "that" to describe something somewhere else they have words for "That over there (nearby)", "This in here" "That thing waaaaay over there!" and in Japanese it probably sounds/reads more natural.

sudonim
Oct 6, 2005

Gorilla Salad posted:

"I have something incredibly important to tell you. You lives depend on what I have to tell you! We are running out of time for me to tell you this thing which your lives depend on! But first, let's talk about something else for a while. Oh no, we've run out of time somehow!"

This game pulls this a lot, as well as the "I know what's going on but I'm just straight up not gonna tell you :smug:" which is really wearing thin at this point. I'm hoping the payoff is worth it.

Stop saying that, this LP is great. Thanks for putting in all the effort.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Gorilla Salad posted:

One thing which has always pissed me off in games, movies, etc is when they do something like this:

:ughh:

Also, the pronoun game. Naegi clearly knows who's behind this, but continues to say they so it'll be a dramatic reveal later.

suddenly cats
Nov 16, 2006

Cats do not abide by the laws of nature, alright? You don't know shit about cats.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Also, the pronoun game. Naegi clearly knows who's behind this, but continues to say they so it'll be a dramatic reveal later.

Part of that is localization, since Japanese doesn't really use pronouns like he/she/they. The fact that he doesn't just say the name(s?) of who's behind it is story-lengthening bullshit though.

As another person who hasn't played the games myself, I'm really looking forward to the endgame reveal in here! I just hope it answers more questions than the first game did.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

suddenly cats posted:

Part of that is localization, since Japanese doesn't really use pronouns like he/she/they. The fact that he doesn't just say the name(s?) of who's behind it is story-lengthening bullshit though.

As another person who hasn't played the games myself, I'm really looking forward to the endgame reveal in here! I just hope it answers more questions than the first game did.

yeah using vague pronouns is whatever
its' when they start saying That Person all the time that it gets annoying

Sazero
Nov 27, 2014

The classiest crazy bullshit magic Half-Elf, you'll ever meet.

FPzero posted:

If you decide you want to go through with it, feel free to PM me. I have a huge amount of resources for the game as well as ideas for how I would have handled the LP myself were I to go forward with it. I may also have advice for workflow and formatting since it's a huge undertaking, though you're obviously free to develop your own methods if you prefer.

Honestly one of the biggest things that's currently preventing me from even wanting to try a V3 LP is the fact that of the sets of character sprites I have, one of them has all the sprites on black backgrounds, not transparent, meaning making the talking heads would be a pain unless I left in all the black backgrounds. The other set is on transparent backgrounds but is not a complete set of sprites since they're from a bonus mode in the game, not the main mode. Without an easy way to get nice neat transparent character sprites for every sprite like I've had for DR1 and 2, I haven't really wanted to tackle the LP in any capacity even though I started gathering initial resources. But oren's LP had talking heads on black backgrounds so maybe it's just me being a control freak about cleanness and presentation (it's absolutely this no one cares about black BGs only i do)

If that is the only thing preventing you from LP'ing V3, then I could help you out with making portraits with transparent backgrounds.
I understand if you still don't want to. But I'm here to help out if you want me to.

Also good LP fam, long time lurker.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
How could Sonia have ever turned evil? That's the major flaw in this whole theory of the kids having been members of the Despair club. Like, everyone else, I could maybe see it.

Well, Gundham and Nidai would also be a hard sell.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
I mean, look at Mikan and how she turned out.
Anything is possible man.

Maybe Sonia isn't a princess. Maybe she's a queen.
THAT kind of queen.

And now we blame Kazuichi for it.
drat YOU KAZUICHI :argh:

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Sonia might well have broken down if her homeland fell.
Same with Gundham and his animals. Losing something they cherish could easily have driven either to despair.

Nidai is trickier to imagine. He's all about firing you up; what could drive him to espouse hopelessness?

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Tenebrais posted:

Sonia might well have broken down if her homeland fell.
Same with Gundham and his animals. Losing something they cherish could easily have driven either to despair.

Nidai is trickier to imagine. He's all about firing you up; what could drive him to espouse hopelessness?

Someone he could never fire up? Unstoppable force vs immovable object with him and junko on that one

Seb
Apr 8, 2003

Soiled Meat

FPzero posted:

Honestly one of the biggest things that's currently preventing me from even wanting to try a V3 LP is the fact that of the sets of character sprites I have, one of them has all the sprites on black backgrounds, not transparent, meaning making the talking heads would be a pain unless I left in all the black backgrounds.

Wow, to be honest I'd do that for you if needed. This kind of thing is very simply automated with ImageMagick or even Photoshop.

Not that you should feel any pressure to LP V3 from that, but yes, that would be taken care of. :)

TheDavies
Mar 27, 2010

Zoe posted:

How could Sonia have ever turned evil?

Gosh, yes, how could someone fascinated by serial killers ever embark on a path of murder and outrage? How could someone trained in the use of military weaponry ever start using it against civilians? How could such unprecedented events happen?

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

TheDavies posted:

Gosh, yes, how could someone fascinated by serial killers ever embark on a path of murder and outrage? How could someone trained in the use of military weaponry ever start using it against civilians? How could such unprecedented events happen?

How now, go easy on Zoe, that’s Souda’s alt

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

timp posted:

How now, go easy on Zoe, that’s Souda’s alt

> Kazoechi Soda

Checks out.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Seb posted:

Wow, to be honest I'd do that for you if needed. This kind of thing is very simply automated with ImageMagick or even Photoshop.

Not that you should feel any pressure to LP V3 from that, but yes, that would be taken care of. :)

For anyone who really wants to see V3, SlowBeef is just finishing his run through the game, Which you can find here

Seb
Apr 8, 2003

Soiled Meat

Gorilla Salad posted:

For anyone who really wants to see V3, SlowBeef is just finishing his run through the game, Which you can find here

Ah thanks! Slowbeef is good. :)

I much prefer screenshots LP to video though, so I'll hold out for a while.

Cryohazard
Feb 5, 2010

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I don't mind this so much so long as they aren't someone your character would know anyway. If it is, though, it's lazy.

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice

Seb posted:

Ah thanks! Slowbeef is good. :)

I much prefer screenshots LP to video though, so I'll hold out for a while.

It's not even a video LP, it's more of a weekly chapter roundup. Kind of like a book club or podcast. I've been really enjoying it.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

HellCopter posted:

It's not even a video LP, it's more of a weekly chapter roundup. Kind of like a book club or podcast. I've been really enjoying it.

Yeah the VNBC is really cool but it's not how I'd recommend experiencing the game for the first time. You miss out on all the twists and drama bombs and so many little details.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
I'm still really feeling like there's got to be another twist with the Ultimate Imposter. Just never sat right with me, 'oh btw there's somebody here we can't show a picture of and know nothing about who can convincingly impersonate anybody, not relevant at all though nbd it's all been resolved don't worry about it!'

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I'm gonna grab the game on Steam this weekend probably, so I'll try and get something going for after this one finishes.

PopeCrunch
Feb 13, 2004

internets

Wouldn't it be hilarious if the imposter was Blackula? Yo imma just pretend to be this dude to infiltrate a class trip, oops immediately murdered by the world's thirstiest chef. Rip.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

PopeCrunch posted:

Wouldn't it be hilarious if the imposter was Blackula? Yo imma just pretend to be this dude to infiltrate a class trip, oops immediately murdered by the world's thirstiest chef. Rip.
I'm just gonna quote this incredible autocorrect for posterity. :allears:

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
I thought he meant to type that and was confused as hell.

Also, that should be his name from now on.

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

Zoe posted:

I don't know if it's a translation thing or just a cultural thing with different audience expectations or what but a bunch of lines of filler where the characters are dithering uselessly and dancing around a subject until you're yelling at the screen for them to just get on with it definitely seems to be a uniquely annoying feature of writing in Japanese games.

Character 1: 'It's because of that incident!'
Character 2: 'That incident!?' *aside to self* Huh? Are they referring to the incident when that certain person did that thing?'
*out loud* Are you referring to the incident when that certain person did that thing?'
'Character 1: 'Yes that is indeed the incident I'm referring to!'

You forgot the part where they flashback to two seconds ago when they first brought up the incident.

RedMagus
Nov 16, 2005

Male....Female...what does it matter? Power is beautiful, and I've got the power!
Grimey Drawer

PopeCrunch posted:

He and Gundham would of been best of friends and obviously none of the murders would of happened as everyone would of been too busy getting involved in wacky hijinks.

Truly sad to think of what could of been

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Zoe posted:

I'm still really feeling like there's got to be another twist with the Ultimate Imposter. Just never sat right with me, 'oh btw there's somebody here we can't show a picture of and know nothing about who can convincingly impersonate anybody, not relevant at all though nbd it's all been resolved don't worry about it!'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNgxyL5zEAk

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!

Oxygen Deficiency posted:

You forgot the part where they flashback to two seconds ago when they first brought up the incident.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uWn0FHImVFU

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

PopeCrunch posted:

Holy gently caress I’m absolutely rolling at this autocorrect

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013

Podima posted:

Holy gently caress I’m absolutely rolling at this autocorrect

The Damnable thing is that someone I can't tell who Blackula was actually meant to be.

I can have moments of... eccentricity and sometimes be quite curious about things. Please forgive me if I do something foolish or rude.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Byakuya

It took me a while too.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

I'm ready.

The Graduation Exam begins tomorrow.

PopeCrunch posted:

:perfect:

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

:siren: Click here to watch this update's video! :siren:

: I did say I wanted you guys to know the outside world, but this is still a questionable starting topic...

: Let me ask you this: what is this world's true identity!?
: Huh? This world's true identity? What kind of question is that?
: ...

This world's true identity...

If I answer this...it will be true... And that lie...will become the truth...

But...there's no way I can leave it unanswered.

: And just like that we're immediately jumped into a Hangman's Gambit to determine where in the hell we are.

: Though if you were paying even the slightest attention during the investigation, the answer is pretty obvious.

> VIRTUAL

: This world... This "Jabberwock Island" we're on...
: It's a virtual world that was inspired by the actual Jabberwock Island!
: H-Hey...!

: Soooo...this isn't the real world, but if you want you can call it the game world.
: You get it? It's all just one big game!
: A-Are you friggin' serious!?
: Don't loving mess with me, you bastard! Did you have us all come here just to tell us bullshit!?

: That's stupid! There's no way that's even possible!
: I know, I know... The "All In Your Mind" trope makes you feel such cruel despair...
: But who cares!? I've revived all the suspense and mystery with just one line!
: Cuz it's a game!

: Then...we were forced to kill each other...

: A lot of crazy poo poo happened...

: We're the only people here...

: Monokuma's nonsensical abilities...
: D-Don't gently caress with me! That's not even possible!

: I know you guys are pissed but you were having fun too, right? A world where anything goes only exists in games!
: ...Soooo, just force yourself to accept it. This closed space, this game world, was the true stage of this killing school trip!
: J-Just stop... There's no way... There's no way I'm gonna believe that...
: Back in the day, people must've reacted the same way when they first saw the airplane take flight...
: But like wearing contact lenses, it'll stop feeling strange once you just get used to it.
: Please do not compare reality to contact lenses!

: I mean, if this really is a...virtual world... What does that make...us...?
: You better not say we're fictional characters!
: The Future Foundation created this world using a program called the Neo World Program...

: It's programmed to place the user in a virtual world by synchronizing directly with the user's brain. Which means...your bodies still exist in the real world. But right now...you're completely submerged in the game world, as if you're dreaming or something.

: Simply put, you're...um...you know, not "aviators" but...
: You mean...avatar, right? An existence created in the game as a copy of the user's real body...
: But...we're not just regular avatars, right?

: Your avatars were constructed by removing a specific thing from your bodies in the real world...
: Wh-What did you remove...?

The specific thing that was removed from our bodies... He's definitely talking about that, right?

> Our school memories

: What was removed from us...was our school memories, right?
: Wh-Which means...we're avatars that were created from our memories from before we entered the academy?
: So that's why we don't have our memories of our lives at Hope's Peak Academy...?

: D-Don't talk like that... Like we're made from memories of the past... Like we're avatars... Like this is a game world...
: How'd we end up talkin' about sci-fi crap!? I'll never believe it!
: How many times do I have to tell you!? It's not sci-fi, it's a game!

This world is a virtual reality created by a computer program. We can't proceed if we don't accept it...

...Is believing him really the only thing we can do?

: Is there any evidence that this is really a game world!?
: You are the evidence.
: What does that mean?
: You're avatars made of memories from before you entered the school...
: But your actual bodies in the real world are different!
: Though you have no memories of your time living your school life...
: Your real bodies actually lived that life.
: What game world...?
: What avatar...?
: I'm a human being with a real body!

This is a virtual world... We're avatars that were created for this world... I...don't want to believe something like that, but...

: Nine, count them, NINE Truth Bullets to choose from now! Well it is the final trial after all. Anyway, if we're not avatars, how do we explain the newspaper with a grown up Hiyoko on it? Did Monokuma learn Photoshop? Possible, but no, that's not the case. So, in a strange turn of events, we actually need to agree with...

> Shoot "lived that life" with "List of Subjects"

: Earlier, in the teacher's lounge... I found this strange newspaper clipping.

: There was a picture of Hiyoko, but she looked more like an adult than the Hiyoko we knew.

: L-Like an adult...? What does that mean?
: Since we're avatars right now, we look exactly as we did before we entered the school... But in the real world, we've already lived out our school lives...

: Which means we've grown that much older... And among us, some aged so much we didn't recognize them...
: And you are saying...that happened to Hiyoko?
: It appears Hiyoko had a growth spurt during the school year. Looks like the other shorty graduated, Fuyuhiko.
: I-I can't believe that... You're just making poo poo up.

: But if you guys only had memory loss, your bodies still should've grown during that time, right? So you should've felt your bodies go through growth spurts, but why didn't you guys recognize each other?
: Because we did not know each other before we lost our memories!
: If we all met after we lost our school memories, it's no different than meeting each other for the first time.
: Since we didn't know each other before that, we wouldn't have noticed how much we've all grown!

No...hold on...

If we didn't know each other before, and we wouldn't have known if we aged or not by looking at each other... Then...wouldn't *he* have noticed a different?

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Uh oh. Do I use Ariadne thread or Goho-M?

Thank you.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

:allears:

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

This is silly because they’re at an age where they’d absolutely notice (not) being 2 years older even if other people couldn’t tell them they looked different. But it was sillier in the first one so whatever.

Sessile
Feb 27, 2008

Qrr posted:

This is silly because they’re at an age where they’d absolutely notice (not) being 2 years older even if other people couldn’t tell them they looked different. But it was sillier in the first one so whatever.

I'm sincerely confused that they brought this up as a point. They didn't bring up the fact that a bunch of teenagers had aged a year spontaneously without noticing in the first game, right?

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
Not sure the point of this argument, but Fuyuhiko should have noticed a difference because he knew Peko beforehand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Uh oh. Do I use Ariadne thread or Goho-M?

Sessile posted:

I'm sincerely confused that they brought this up as a point. They didn't bring up the fact that a bunch of teenagers had aged a year spontaneously without noticing in the first game, right?

Two years.

Kyoko noticed that something was off with her body, but didn't realize what it was until the final trial.

• Locked thread