Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RA Rx
Mar 24, 2016

So, what's the society like, I hear horrible things, but how bad can they be?

I'd prefer to live in a galaxy run by scientists rather than one run by a telecom company specializing in the murder of scientists outside their little bases, or a group of particularily suicidal frat kids.

Unless the Society doesn't care for consumer goods and is all about using the other castes for experiments?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!

Strobe posted:

There are two 'Mechs (or six Protomechs) that we can't see right now. Society operates in units called Uns, Treys, and Septs. An Un is one maneuver unit (one 'Mech, three Protos), a Trey is three maneuver units, and a Sept is two Treys and an Un. I'd be willing to bet that there's another of the iHSL out there somewhere, and then something big with a bunch of missiles.

iHSL?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

RA Rx posted:

I'd prefer to live in a society run by scientists rather than one run by a telecom company specializing in the murder of scientists, or a group of particularily suicidal frat kids.

Unless the Society doesn't care for consumer goods and is all about using the other castes for experiments?

They use their super munchkin tech to get in position to start gassing trueborn.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

The Society is better at genocide than the Wobbies are

And to think the NRWR was hoping to find bandit caste here. A finger on a monkey's paw curls

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

They've been around since the Pentagon Worlds but are just now making their big move

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

RA Rx posted:

I'd prefer to live in a galaxy run by scientists rather than one run by a telecom company specializing in the murder of scientists outside their little bases, or a group of particularily suicidal frat kids.

Much like the bad guy from Black Panther, it's not that they're wrong about everything, they're just going way too far.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Improved Heavy Small Laser. It's a Heavy Laser without the penalty to hit.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

RA Rx posted:

The Society are Clan scientists who don't believe in Warrior Supremacy. That's commendable! They also don't believe in ethics or basic human rights. That's not so commendable!

They're the dudes who would say "Hey let's develop a gene-tailored plague to wipe out everyone belonging to these Bloodnames," and when the warriors in charge said "um, no, not only is that not Space Honoraburu but it's also loving inhuman, dudes," they'd just quietly putter away continuing their work in the background, only with the Bloodnames of all the warriors who told them to stop added to The List. They're the University faction from Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri with the option to take the kinder and gentler Social Engineering choices turned off. If you ain't got a Ph.D., you're not just a second-class citizen, you're meat.

chktshadeclaw
Feb 8, 2012
It would appear one of the society mechs has placed itself right in my lane of fire, well inside close range. I'm going to light the little guy up with my PPC, since I'm unsure what the CEWS will do to my missiles

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

chktshadeclaw posted:

It would appear one of the society mechs has placed itself right in my lane of fire, well inside close range. I'm going to light the little guy up with my PPC, since I'm unsure what the CEWS will do to my missiles

Very little. But the laser ams will mean a penalty on the cluster table should you hit with them.

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

They're the University faction from Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri with the option to take the kinder and gentler Social Engineering choices turned off. If you ain't got a Ph.D., you're not just a second-class citizen, you're meat.

That's actually very apt; I like your ideas and would like to subscribe to your newsletters.

Also, don't forget the hundreds of years that they've had to stew on their hatred of true borns and the 'don't you effing jocks tell me what to do! All you want are guns gun guns!! If you only knew that I've been merely working 25% of the time on what you want, and dedicating the rest of my life to killing the whole lot of you!!!'

RA Rx
Mar 24, 2016

Thanks for all the answers!

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

The Society are Clan scientists who don't believe in Warrior Supremacy. That's commendable! They also don't believe in ethics or basic human rights. That's not so commendable!

They're the dudes who would say "Hey let's develop a gene-tailored plague to wipe out everyone belonging to these Bloodnames," and when the warriors in charge said "um, no, not only is that not Space Honoraburu but it's also loving inhuman, dudes," they'd just quietly putter away continuing their work in the background, only with the Bloodnames of all the warriors who told them to stop added to The List. They're the University faction from Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri with the option to take the kinder and gentler Social Engineering choices turned off. If you ain't got a Ph.D., you're not just a second-class citizen, you're meat.

Do they at least plan to use eugenics and brain to machine interfaces to (eventually) bring everyone up to a full citizen level (if they survive the process)?

---
Anyway if they were all that smart they'd have waited several rounds longer, but we do need balance.

RA Rx fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Feb 19, 2018

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

RA Rx posted:

They plan to use eugenics eliminate the inferior trueborn race.

RA Rx
Mar 24, 2016

I guess people did say their methods were gassing and gene-plagueing people, not centuries of research and silk-glove social engineering to cyberize and trans-humanize the entire population.

RA Rx fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Feb 19, 2018

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

They also did some pretty horrifying human experimentation with their gene-splicing tech, too. That stuff sort of gets overshadowed by the nukes and the biochemical warfare.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

The only cyborgs in the setting are condemned to maybe a decade of life postop.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

dis astranagant posted:

The only cyborgs in the setting are condemned to maybe a decade of life postop.

Uh... Justin Allard? Ion Rush?

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Quem Deus Vult Perdere, Prius Dementat.

wiegieman posted:

Welp. Incoming Arrows.

Then we will fight in the shade.

But first, a moment of silence.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

RA Rx posted:

Do they at least plan to use eugenics and brain to machine interfaces to (eventually) bring everyone up to a full citizen level (if they survive the process)?

hahahahahaha they plan to use eugenics to ensure that they and their descendants stay in charge while everyone else is bred for docility and servitude, would be my guess. But we really have little information on the long-term goals of the Society beyond "supplant the Warrior Caste as the rulers of Clan society;" their entire existence can be summed up as "the nerds who vowed that one day the jocks would pay for all those times they got shoved into their lockers."

The Society are not transhumanists. The Society are monsters. They're less 'scientists' and more 'what the average Republican voter in the United States thinks scientists are.'

e: that might be a bit cynical of me; I should not come to the Battletech thread after reading D&D and C-SPAM.

chktshadeclaw
Feb 8, 2012

painedforever posted:

If the unit sheets are right, he appears to have been given command of one of the formerly enemy, now allied mechs

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Yeah, someone's gonna have to explain this one to me.

We're no longer fighting the Coyotes. Our Coyote has been given to the other Coyotes to enforce this, so that we don't accidentally shoot them in the back, or let them take all of the hits while we pull back and consolidate.

Instead, we have to beat off these little titches, while... what? Getting Manny either to the Dropship or the Coyote installation way in the top right corner so that he can call for help? Or getting any one of our 'Mechs so that they can relay a message?

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
The Society showed up and instantly started jamming everything, more strongly than even an Angel ECM could get through. Presumably this also jammed things like the regular comms net on both sides.

The Coyotes, just like most Clanners when it comes right down to it, despise and fear the unknown. When confronted with "fight a roughly even battle against enemies you already know" and "What the gently caress is going on and who the gently caress are you?", they chose to express their hostility against the latter.

Because Clanners are not inherently stupid, this means a temporary cessation of hostilities between the Coyotes and the Wolverines, with the implicit assumption that as soon as the new threat has been dealt with in satisfactory fashion, the shooting will begin anew.

RA Rx
Mar 24, 2016

painedforever posted:

Yeah, someone's gonna have to explain this one to me.

We're no longer fighting the Coyotes. Our Coyote has been given to the other Coyotes to enforce this, so that we don't accidentally shoot them in the back, or let them take all of the hits while we pull back and consolidate.

Instead, we have to beat off these little titches, while... what? Getting Manny either to the Dropship or the Coyote installation way in the top right corner so that he can call for help? Or getting any one of our 'Mechs so that they can relay a message?

Kill the little speedsters and search and destroy the missile lobbers and sundry.

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Right. And what about the secondary objectives? What's that about?

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

What is that bear doing there?

That spotter mech showed up on the 'enemy movement' phase of turn two. Poptarts is a sneaky Cardassian.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Rereading those opening lines, you guys are in for a rough time.

The Cephalus runs a 250 XXL engine, but a 255 XL mounted behind the pilot? Lysenko's running a loving Osteon. :stonkhat:

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Osteon Prime is some bullshit.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Strobe posted:

The Society showed up and instantly started jamming everything, more strongly than even an Angel ECM could get through. Presumably this also jammed things like the regular comms net on both sides.

Defiance Industries posted:

Perhaps we could send one of our lights up near those buildings with the comm dishes? We have a secondary objective to "Call down the Legion"

Hm. Given that all the enemy mechs are running in from that area, I'm going to go ahead and say that the jamming and the sat dishes are actually related.

If you're jamming out to orbit, its gonna need something substantially bigger than anything a mech can mount.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Any variant is bullshit when it comes with ferro-lamellor armor and reinforced structure as standard features.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Bloody Pom posted:

Any variant is bullshit when it comes with ferro-lamellor armor and reinforced structure as standard features.

The other variants aren't throwing 84 damage at 15 range and half that out to 27. And it's all streaks so heat and the cluster table don't matter.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
They also can be used indirectly, if you forfeit the Streak cluster bonus.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
That sure is a lot of mechs with a tag and 0 mechs that use tag.

Yeah, you're gonna fight in the shade. High-explosive shade.

The Spartans would be proud :black101:

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Right, so I've got a couple of questions:

1. If my laser is damaged, does this mean that it can't be used, or is there a chance that it will explode if I try to use it?
2. Hey PTN, could you point out which bad guy is which on the map? Their icons look the same to me. Most of them are similar in configuration, but #4 doesn't have his weight listed, and has hands. Also, #3 shows up twice.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

painedforever posted:

Right, so I've got a couple of questions:

1. If my laser is damaged, does this mean that it can't be used, or is there a chance that it will explode if I try to use it?
2. Hey PTN, could you point out which bad guy is which on the map? Their icons look the same to me. Most of them are similar in configuration, but #4 doesn't have his weight listed, and has hands. Also, #3 shows up twice.

Damaged means hosed but repairable between campaign missions.

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

iATMs are the biggest bullshit weapon ever. They are bonkers. They have something like five ammo types, a streak system, and ammo that reaches out to insane distances. I think it's ER missiles, regular, HE missiles, mech taser missiles, and infernos. All on a streak system. Have fun dealing with that.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Oh yeah and if every shot hits the Osteon can fire for drat near 4 minutes straight but is still a huge pain in the rear end to kill thanks to a torso mounted cockpit and CASE II

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

paragon1 fucked around with this message at 09:58 on Feb 19, 2018

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Don't count paragon1 out just yet

Now he's packin 2x cERPPCs and 2x SSRM6s (plus two more, buttways) worth of pain in a pristine, Ferro-Lamellor-armored ride.

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

painedforever posted:

Yes. It's like he's up there, looking down on us.

painedforever fucked around with this message at 10:15 on Feb 19, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Were you guys finding it useful when I was linking the map(s) and mech readout sheets in the googledoc? If not I'm not going to bother.

edit: a hex with a dead mech counts as rough terrain and therefore takes an extra movement and a pilot check to get through, right?

AAAAA! Real Muenster fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Feb 19, 2018

• Locked thread