Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Stupid
Bread Liar
I never want to leave Indoline, the night/day chanting is possibly the best piece in the whole Xenoblade series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

But this song is waiting for you in the very next area!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O2TEppyNOZs

(it's my favourite from the game, probably)

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Amppelix posted:

But this song is waiting for you in the very next area!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O2TEppyNOZs

(it's my favourite from the game, probably)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rmnZ0R8quWM

This was in the related videos, and I'm glad of it.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
So data miners were able to get at Xenoblade 2, and they started ripping various stuff from the game. Oh, and they took a look at the gacha mechanics. Mind you, this isn't the entire thing, but it's a huge bulk of the info.

quote:

Basically, as has been generally assumed: the only things that make a difference are your total luck modifier, the quality of crystal you use, and to a certain extent boosters. I've seen recent advice suggesting that if you're pulling for KOS-MOS you should only pop one booster a time. (It may also suggest that, assuming KOS-MOS is #1039, with maximum Idea values, 999 Luck and a legendary Core Crystal, you have less than a 1% chance of pulling her.)

quote:

On looking more closely, I realised that the mechanics shown here are just those that check whether a Blade is added to the pool- which means that, on any given roll, you can roll the 1% needed to get KOS-MOS in the pool and then still get a different Blade. And on extrapolating from some of the variable names if you're rolling with a common Core Crystal you might only have a 25% chance to roll a rare Blade at all.

I remember people wondering upthread about how legendary crystals didn't seem worth it in comparison to rare ones, as the jump wasn't nearly as big in terms of how frequently they pulled Rare Blades. If the table is right, the multiplier difference is actually bigger (x1.0 for common, 1.5 for rare and 3.0 for legendary) but it's just common cores have a 3/4 chance to only give common Blades.

Emphasis mine.

The short version: The gacha system is utterly utterly awful.

Araxxor fucked around with this message at 09:42 on Feb 18, 2018

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Kilazar posted:

Mythra is not avail for this particular fight :(

She isn't but there are other AoE blades! Such as a certain fire one on character 4.

And Dr Fetus - that information is good to see but I don't really understand what it's saying, I get the part at the bottom but not the actual data.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Alright, let me try to simplify this as best I can.

When you open a core crystal, the game first checks to see if you used a booster or not. When you use a booster (quantity doesn't matter in this case), the game will choose the idea for the booster you chose. If you didn't, the game then defaults to the highest leveled idea the character has. (If there's a tie, one is chosen randomly.)

From there, your character's luck is checked. 999 luck gets you a value of 1.36.

The next step applies a multiplier depending on the type of Core Crystal you used. Common is 1, rare is 1.5, and legendary is 3.

Now your idea level is checked, and a multiplier from there is applied depending on how high the idea level is. (2nd column in the BLD_Idea table in the 2nd image. Multiply that number by 0.01.) 10 is the highest level without boosters, and applies a multiplier of 1.5. Getting it up to 15 applies a value of 1.75.

Now the chances of the rare blade actually getting in the pool are calculated. In the 3rd image, the 3rd column contains the number used in this part. KOS-MOS has the blade ID of 1039, and the number in this case is 0.1.

So now the luck value, the crystal factor, and the blade's probability are all multiplied together. So assuming we're using a legendary crystal with 999 luck, and are trying to shoot for KOS-MOS, our number now is 0.408.

Now if the game picked justice as our idea of choice (remember, this can be rigged with boosters), and we had our justice level at 15, we would multiply 0.408 by 1.75, which gets us... 0.714. And that's our chance of getting the blade added to the pool.

Yes, that's right. KOS-MOS only has a 0.714% chance of being added to the pool even under the most favorable circumstances!

Oh, but we're not done yet! If I'm reading this right, if you're using a Rare or Legendary Core Crystal, you'll get a rare blade at this point if any are in the pool. If you're using a Common Core Crystal, on the other hand, the game has a 75% chance to give you a common blade instead.

Yeah, so the odds work out like this for actually getting KOS-MOS:

Common: 0.0595%
Rare: 0.357%
Legendary: 0.714%

Yes, your chances are genuinely that minuscule, even under the best possible circumstances! Boosters barely boost your chances. Only use them if the idea level in question is not already at the absolute highest. I have no idea what Monolith was thinking with this system.

Araxxor fucked around with this message at 11:25 on Feb 18, 2018

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

I'm glad for data mining, I know now to just give up trying to get kosmos

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Oh, the table is in the blade album order. So yeah, here are the base odds of actually pulling the rare blades in question. Now there are apparently 5 different probabilities for each blade, so I have no idea when which ones are used when.

Godfrey: 0.63%/0.63%/1.25%/1.56%/2.19%
Perceval: 1.5%/0.25%/0.5%/1%/1.75%
Vale: 0.75%/0.25%/0.25%/0.25%/0.25%
Agate: 0.25%/0.38%/0.75%/0.75%/0.13%
Gorg: 1%/1%/0.5%/1.5%/1%
Boreas: 0.25%/2.13%/2.13%/0.56%/1.19%
Dagas: 0.5%/0.75%/0.5%1.25%/0.5%
Perun: 2.44%/0.25%/0.63%/1.88%/1.06%
Kora: 0.63%/1.88%/1.88%/0.31%/1.56%
Azami: 0.31%/1.88%/1.25%/0.63%/2.19%
Ursula: 2.25%/0.63%/1.25%/1.88%/0.25%
Newt: 0.25%/0.25%/0.25%/0.25%/0.75%
Nim: 1%/1%/1.75%/0.25%/1%
Adenine: 1.5%/0.25%/1%/1.75%/0.5%
Electra: 1.88%/2.25%/0.63%/1.25%/0.25%
Zenobia: 0.25%/0.75%/0.25%/0.25%/0.25%
Finch: 0.5%/1%/1.75%/0.25%/1.5%
Floren: 1.75%/1.5%/1%/0.5%/0.25%
KOS-MOS: Always 0.1%.
Dahlia: 0.13%/0.5%/0.25%/0.88%/0.75%

Any guaranteed blades you got that you decided to toss into gacha hell for whatever reason will have a 1% base chance of popping back up.

Also there's apparently an "assure value" or something, and I have no idea what it means. But here's the list of which blades have what assure value if you feel like figuring that out.

Godfrey: 1
Perceval: 2
Vale: 5
Agate: 1
Gorg: 3
Boreas: 1
Dagas: N/A
Perun: 3
Kora: 4
Azami: 2
Ursula: 5
Newt: N/A
Nim: 4
Adenine: 2
Electra: 3
Zenobia: N/A
Finch: 4
Floren: 5
KOS-MOS: N/A
Dahlia: N/A

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Dr. Fetus posted:

Oh, the table is in the blade album order. So yeah, here are the base odds of actually pulling the rare blades in question. Now there are apparently 5 different probabilities for each blade, so I have no idea when which ones are used when.

Godfrey: 0.63%/0.63%/1.25%/1.56%/2.19%
Perceval: 1.5%/0.25%/0.5%/1%/1.75%
Vale: 0.75%/0.25%/0.25%/0.25%/0.25%
Agate: 0.25%/0.38%/0.75%/0.75%/0.13%
Gorg: 1%/1%/0.5%/1.5%/1%
Boreas: 0.25%/2.13%/2.13%/0.56%/1.19%
Dagas: 0.5%/0.75%/0.5%1.25%/0.5%
Perun: 2.44%/0.25%/0.63%/1.88%/1.06%
Kora: 0.63%/1.88%/1.88%/0.31%/1.56%
Azami: 0.31%/1.88%/1.25%/0.63%/2.19%
Ursula: 2.25%/0.63%/1.25%/1.88%/0.25%
Newt: 0.25%/0.25%/0.25%/0.25%/0.75%
Nim: 1%/1%/1.75%/0.25%/1%
Adenine: 1.5%/0.25%/1%/1.75%/0.5%
Electra: 1.88%/2.25%/0.63%/1.25%/0.25%
Zenobia: 0.25%/0.75%/0.25%/0.25%/0.25%
Finch: 0.5%/1%/1.75%/0.25%/1.5%
Floren: 1.75%/1.5%/1%/0.5%/0.25%
KOS-MOS: Always 0.1%.
Dahlia: 0.13%/0.5%/0.25%/0.88%/0.75%

Any guaranteed blades you got that you decided to toss into gacha hell for whatever reason will have a 1% base chance of popping back up.

Also there's apparently an "assure value" or something, and I have no idea what it means. But here's the list of which blades have what assure value if you feel like figuring that out.

Godfrey: 1
Perceval: 2
Vale: 5
Agate: 1
Gorg: 3
Boreas: 1
Dagas: N/A
Perun: 3
Kora: 4
Azami: 2
Ursula: 5
Newt: N/A
Nim: 4
Adenine: 2
Electra: 3
Zenobia: N/A
Finch: 4
Floren: 5
KOS-MOS: N/A
Dahlia: N/A

If I was going to guess, I'd say one of those five percentages are assigned at the start of your game.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

I still don't really get it. I can't handle maths, it just doesn't fit in my head. Those odds just feel impossibly low when I know I've pulled 3 rares in a row. The odds against that must be absolutely astronomical!
If the odds are as low as they seem then the people who've got every single blade before Chapter 5 and etc are lucky as gently caress.

It's interesting to me that some blades really are rarer than others. I didn't actually expect that.

Taear fucked around with this message at 13:15 on Feb 18, 2018

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

All the Xenoblade games seem to be actively disdainful towards completionists to be honest. Cross is probably the nicest of the three and it's still glad to shoot you the middle finger over and over.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

ImpAtom posted:

All the Xenoblade games seem to be actively disdainful towards completionists to be honest. Cross is probably the nicest of the three and it's still glad to shoot you the middle finger over and over.

I assume by Cross you mean X?
I would say the first two are just sort of normal grindy JRPG level. There's a difference between "there's a random chance you'll complete this no matter how long you play" and "If you stick at it you'll do it" like you can with the other two.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

Taear posted:

I still don't really get it. I can't handle maths, it just doesn't fit in my head. Those odds just feel impossibly low when I know I've pulled 3 rares in a row. The odds against that must be absolutely astronomical!
If the odds are as low as they seem then the people who've got every single blade before Chapter 5 and etc are lucky as gently caress.

It's interesting to me that some blades really are rarer than others. I didn't actually expect that.

Yeah, same thing for me. I didn't open nearly that many crystals to get all of the blades, and there were multiple occasions I popped a couple in a row. I understand that probability is probability and even with those odds it'd be possible to pop all of them in a row by opening 30 commons or whatever, but it doesn't seem to add up regardless. Early on I got a bunch of them off of common crystals, and it sounds like others did too. Boreas in particular seems to show up early and often for everyone.

I'm not saying those tables are wrong, I just think there might be another component that isn't being shown, or something is being misinterpreted.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

shortspecialbus posted:

Yeah, same thing for me. I didn't open nearly that many crystals to get all of the blades, and there were multiple occasions I popped a couple in a row. I understand that probability is probability and even with those odds it'd be possible to pop all of them in a row by opening 30 commons or whatever, but it doesn't seem to add up regardless. Early on I got a bunch of them off of common crystals, and it sounds like others did too. Boreas in particular seems to show up early and often for everyone.

I'm not saying those tables are wrong, I just think there might be another component that isn't being shown, or something is being misinterpreted.

My experience is that I'd go for ages pulling loads and getting nothing, but when I boosted 5's luck I got 3 in a row on him. This actually happened twice. I can't even begin to calculate how unlikely that would be.
It definitely feels like there's at least one more thing in here, maybe the chapter thing people suggested earlier for example.

Taear fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Feb 18, 2018

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Taear posted:

I assume by Cross you mean X?
I would say the first two are just sort of normal grindy JRPG level. There's a difference between "there's a random chance you'll complete this no matter how long you play" and "If you stick at it you'll do it" like you can with the other two.

There's still plenty of random chance drops in Xenoblade 1 even for important things like *upgrading your skills* and lots of weird undocumented poo poo that isn't technically random but is close enough without consulting someone else's guidework.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Stupid
Bread Liar
What blade learns Keen Eye? I'm at chapter 6 and it's the one field skill that pops up regularly that I don't have yet.

e: oh also I managed to get 500k gold, should I go buy that one blade in Torigoth, and if yes, who should I bond it to?

e2: Do you get any other characters added to your party after Zeke?

Louisgod fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Feb 18, 2018

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I would not be surprised if Monolith implemented it as shown, went “wait, gently caress, this is garbage”, and half-assed some rebalancing around it cause it was too late to change it somehow.

Regardless, I’m glad I YouTubed the Blade stuff.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Louisgod posted:

What blade learns Keen Eye? I'm at chapter 6 and it's the one field skill that pops up regularly that I don't have yet.

e: oh also I managed to get 500k gold, should I go buy that one blade in Torigoth, and if yes, who should I bond it to?

Brighid has Keen Eye, so does PoppiQTpi, Agate, Gorg and Adenine.

Yeah you should buy Sheba's core, then after you use it talk to the guy again to get half your money back. Also money is super easy to get if you salvage in Mor Ardain at Near Chasnegh Wastes. That's also where you get the core crystal for Kasandra.

Zeke is the last character.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Louisgod posted:

You get a story Blade with it, and a sidequest Blade. (It's Tora's third Poppi form. Gorg and Adenine also have it.

The Torigoth Blade is a water attacker. I put her on Zeke. And also re: Zeke Yes, he's the last party member.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Stupid
Bread Liar
Thanks! I'm at a part where Morag isn't in my party and she has Bridgid and Agate, explains why I struck out. Also good to know about getting half your money back and the good salvage spot.

e: Bonded Sheba, talked to the dude again and didn't get half my money back, what am I missing?

Louisgod fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Feb 18, 2018

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM
Equip her to someone.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Louisgod posted:

Thanks! I'm at a part where Morag isn't in my party and she has Bridgid and Agate, explains why I struck out. Also good to know about getting half your money back and the good salvage spot.

e: Bonded Sheba, talked to the dude again and didn't get half my money back, what am I missing?

Sheba has to be equipped and possibly in the active party?

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Stupid
Bread Liar
Yep, active party, she was equipped but not on the map, thanks!

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

ImpAtom posted:

There's still plenty of random chance drops in Xenoblade 1 even for important things like *upgrading your skills* and lots of weird undocumented poo poo that isn't technically random but is close enough without consulting someone else's guidework.

That's all jRPGs though. Like I'm not saying it's good or something to emulate. It's just that it's something I kind of expect.
Having a mechanic that is "Use 200 of these hard to collect items to get a 1% chance to get one of 40 things" is a whole new level and something that's only used in free to play games.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Nevermind, read it wrong.

I think the assure value is a priority list to be sure there is always a rare blade available in the pool, but doesn't apply to the rarest blades so you can't game it so easily.

Chronojam fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Feb 18, 2018

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

I regret buying this game, the 80 hour realization I have for every Xenoblade game. Maybe next time I'll learn instead of buying on day 1.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

"I regret buying this thing that I enjoyed enough to get better than a $1 per hour return on"

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

IcePhoenix posted:

"I regret buying this thing that I enjoyed enough to get better than a $1 per hour return on"

At this point in my life the hours spent is actually a drawback, to be fair.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

IcePhoenix posted:

I regret buying Divinity 2 even though I played it for 32 hours or something.
Sometimes you push through because you want to finish, you feel you should. You're enjoying bits of it but then you realise that you hate it. Doesn't feel like an unreasonable statement to me.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

I mean, I didn't finish Xenoblade 1 because I felt it ran out of steam around Mechonis, but I didn't regret buying or playing it, I had a lot of fun until that point. Games aren't meaningless if you don't finish them, just stop playing if it stops being fun.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Amppelix posted:

I mean, I didn't finish Xenoblade 1 because I felt it ran out of steam around Mechonis, but I didn't regret buying or playing it, I had a lot of fun until that point. Games aren't meaningless if you don't finish them, just stop playing if it stops being fun.

:hai:

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
Holy poo poo this game just piles on the bullshit Rex powerups.

Okay I guess, I'm just never using Zeke again then.

Like I tried him, don't get me wrong, but he takes about an hour to charge specials that take Rex half a second.

I'm on Chapter 8 right now. I'm close to the end right? I'm still interested, but I'm reaching the point where I'm ready for the conclusion and will get frustrated if it doesn't show up.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

You got like 5 to 6 hours left

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Natural 20 posted:

Like I tried him, don't get me wrong, but he takes about an hour to charge specials that take Rex half a second.

I'm on Chapter 8 right now. I'm close to the end right? I'm still interested, but I'm reaching the point where I'm ready for the conclusion and will get frustrated if it doesn't show up.

The game has ten chapters. You have a lot of cutscenes ahead of you so there's probably at least 5 hours to go but it's pretty straight forward the rest of the way if you want to just blitz the story.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

IcePhoenix posted:

The game has ten chapters. You have a lot of cutscenes ahead of you so there's probably at least 5 hours to go but it's pretty straight forward the rest of the way if you want to just blitz the story.

Okay that's fine then.

I guess I'm never actually unlocking Theory after I spent ages getting her though.

Also no rare Axe blade ever apparently.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Natural 20 posted:

Oddly enough, I had the opposite reaction to the game piling bullshit anime powers on Rex. I found it boring and I benched him.

If you do the usual art cancelling thing with Zeke, he can charge up his specials plenty fast. Also if you manage to get Zenobia on him, she has a crit-boosting ability. One of Zeke's axe arts recharges instantly when it crits. I think you can see where this is going. Slap an Avant Garde Medal on him and you can spam that art over and over and he'll never die. Unless he gets one-shot.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

chumbler posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rmnZ0R8quWM

This was in the related videos, and I'm glad of it.

To be honest I'm kinda sad they patched the voice clips, my sister got the game last week and she will never understand why this is so funny.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

This one is almost as good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WRN8vLt7gO8

Hand Row
May 28, 2001

Natural 20 posted:

Rex with his healing blade when you need it is a legit strategy, so you can use both in your party.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Silver Falcon posted:

Oddly enough, I had the opposite reaction to the game piling bullshit anime powers on Rex. I found it boring and I benched him.

If you do the usual art cancelling thing with Zeke, he can charge up his specials plenty fast. Also if you manage to get Zenobia on him, she has a crit-boosting ability. One of Zeke's axe arts recharges instantly when it crits. I think you can see where this is going. Slap an Avant Garde Medal on him and you can spam that art over and over and he'll never die. Unless he gets one-shot.

The thing is all that's a lot of work compared to doing it with Rex.
I guess I want it to be as easy as I can make it so I'm not going to faff around if I can get the same results ten times simpler.