Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Neurosis posted:

links don't work. ah well, sounds like i haven't missed out too much by only having access to herod's. i've seen stinger dropped here and there but didn't think it particularly worthwhile. still trying to find a good blunt weapon. i hope any dlc adds two-handed swords, more fully developed polearms, and crossbows. also that it fixes the lock-on thing but given how hard they seem to work to stop you from taking off lock-on it might be a serious issue in getting the enemy to react properly when locked on

fleshing out axes/maces a bit more would also be cool, but yeah the game really needs polearms

and stinger is (in my experience) extremely worthwhile since heavily armored opponents seem about as weak to pierce as they are to blunt so having a weapon with high thrust damage is awesome (though it's not like Herods has low thrust damage)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

I'm now reading in a bit more detail about the combat.
  • Swings are extremely weak against enemies wearing armor - you have to pretty much exclusively use thrusts aimed at the weakest or exposed points.
  • Enemy models are divided into 30 hitbox zones and the game detects if you swing at the same armor points repeatedly which will make them weaker and start hurting the enemy.
  • How your stamina reacts during combat is also influenced by hunger, fatigue or wounds. Blocking is the most stamina-hungry thing you can do, combat at the time depended more on mobility and dodges, blocking was the last resort.
  • The combat system takes into consideration the weight of the weapons, if you have the higher ground than the enemy (your attacks will be stronger)
It's good to know all the stuff that the game doesnt' tell you, drat.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Also hell yeah, the game works smoothly on ultra for me. I love how realistic armor pieces look here. Also they made one thing better than TW3 did - the variety of human faces in the game, I love all these ugly dudes.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

I recommend you all to learn to read. Theres a fun book in the game about a womens rebellion.

Polyseme
Sep 6, 2009

GROUCH DIVISION

Palpek posted:

• Swings are extremely weak against enemies wearing armor - you have to pretty much exclusively use thrusts aimed at the weakest or exposed points.
  • Enemy models are divided into 30 hitbox zones and the game detects if you swing at the same armor points repeatedly which will make them weaker and start hurting the enemy.
  • How your stamina reacts during combat is also influenced by hunger, fatigue or wounds. Blocking is the most stamina-hungry thing you can do, combat at the time depended more on mobility and dodges, blocking was the last resort.
  • The combat system takes into consideration the weight of the weapons, if you have the higher ground than the enemy (your attacks will be stronger)

I like that the game doesn't tell you the way that most do, by just giving you numbers and formulae. On the other hand, it doesn't seem to do a good job of letting you know that this thing from the real world applies, but not all those other ones.

Olewithmilk
Jun 30, 2006

What?

Palpek posted:

Also hell yeah, the game works smoothly on ultra for me. I love how realistic armor pieces look here. Also they made one thing better than TW3 did - the variety of human faces in the game, I love all these ugly dudes.

You mind posting your specs or specific graphics settings? I have a 1080 and even on high it chugs noticeably in towns.

Halman
Feb 10, 2007

What's the...Rush?
Eventually maces start just smashing through their defense and I love it.

Bonk.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Olewithmilk posted:

You mind posting your specs or specific graphics settings? I have a 1080 and even on high it chugs noticeably in towns.

Create user.cfg in your main folder. Add r_BatchType 1 into user.cfg.

For some loving reason cryengine defaults to using your CPU utilization so doing this switches to prioritizing GPU.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GruK4j-Rr3c

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
if anyone is having trouble with the old rope executioner quest: at the camp, wait until 9PM, when you'll only have to deal with one henchman

Olewithmilk
Jun 30, 2006

What?

Party Plane Jones posted:

For some loving reason cryengine defaults to using your CPU utilization so doing this switches to prioritizing GPU.

Haha, oh boy, thank you. Will try when I get home.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Neurosis posted:

if anyone is having trouble with the old rope executioner quest: at the camp, wait until 9PM, when you'll only have to deal with one henchman

I can't find the loving rope. Unless I hosed up and picked the wrong option earlier.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Crossposted from genchat, here's my slightly spoilery experience and why this game owns:

precision posted:

Kingdom Come's save system is great, except when it isn't. Basically they should have just done what modern Dragon Quest games do, which is allow you to Quicksave anytime but delete that save when you load it, with beds and booze reserved for making a "permanent" save. I don't think it should be patched to just let you save anywhere, constantly because the gameplay would actually suffer. Extremely minor spoilers for the prologue, and this is also a mini-review of why the game owns:

After my village is attacked by a mad king (something else they borrowed from JRPGs, heh) I'm in a castle of a friend of my dad's who won't let me leave for my own good because I'm a peasant with literally no skills in life aside from apprentice blacksmithery and being a drunk failson. My quest begins to get back to the village so I can bury my dead parents. I could have only saved during the following events by drinking Save Booze, which you get a few of at the start but they are super expensive and you should keep them, or even sell them because you're so broke:

So I have to leave the castle, but the guard won't defy orders. Him and the lady of the keep suggest I steal some armor and pretend to be a guard going out on patrol. The armory, obviously, has some, but it's locked up and I could barely afford a single lockpick. So after breaking my pick, I look around for a solitary guard, sneak up behind him and knock him out and steal his armor. I take my horse and head out.

Halfway there I find a burned church with the dead bodies of people who tried to hide inside it. After getting off my horse, it runs away because it wasn't really "mine", it was just the horse I had happened to ride away with when I made my escape from Mom and Dad's Farmhouse. Well gently caress, now I have to walk the rest of the way and I'm getting hungry, but it's only about 2 km (2 actual, realistic kilometers). I meet a lone bandit on the road. I have never fought anyone before in my life, certainly not with a sword, aside from the very short lesson that I got from a traveling warrior in the opening. But being defensive and patient works and he eventually surrenders. I tell him to leave his weapon and leg it. I suffered several small injuries which make me slower, but I'm mostly alright.

I get to the village and stupidly I'm just making a ton of noise, attracting the attention of another, more aggressive bandit and his friends. I run and hide and manage to isolate one of them, who I dispatch while taking more injuries. His friends thankfully are easy to avoid, so I make it to the village battered, covered in blood and mud, with my screen even having blood all over it because I took a blow to the head and it's bleeding over my eyes. I find my parents' bodies, and one survivor who is being an rear end in a top hat and looting the dead. I try to argue sense into him but he wants my expensive sword and I barely take him down. In the miserable rain, half dead, I find a shovel and bury my parents in an honestly great cutscene.

And then some real bandits show up and beat me nearly to death, triggering the actual opening credits (which has an amazing acoustic guitar song) and the start of the real game.

Now, if you read all that, you no doubt can see several points where, if this had been Elder Scrolls or any regular degular WRPG, I would have saved and reloaded until I got an optimal outcome. Having that option be very expensive and thus not worth it forced me to accept the many things I failed at, including conversation options, because this game has a great conversation system (it's simple, but great). And that actually made the game better, it made things feel more urgent and real and not video gamey. And that's cool!

But as many have pointed out, that doesn't really account for like, having a job and a wife and so forth, that bit took an hour or two and it's never good to force a player to choose between leaving their system on and wasting electricity or having to replay a big chunk of game, so like I said, it should adopt the JRPG Quicksave system.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Can I safely delay starting "the hunt begins"? There's stuff I want to do, especially now I have a horse.

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

What? Never seen a shaved Squatch before?
Loving this game, but sometimes I get a real Bethesda-esque vibe from it:

And like when you arrive at a camp at night where an NPC has dialogue for a quest, they sometimes get up, walk to a community chest to get dressed, say they want to talk to you, get undressed again, and say "gently caress off I want to sleep" when you try to talk to them then and there.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Is there any actual resolution to the questline with the Old Whore in that Inn place? After you get her the last item she says she'll come back with a reward the following day but never shows up again, for me at least. Is the conclusion that I hosed up, going by all the blood in the home of that farmer couple she had me steal stuff from?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Kingdom Come: A History of Violence

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Looks Hans I know we agreed to meet for baths and wenching like two weeks ago but I was busy, can you please get off your horse and stop telling me how good it is to see me?

Passive aggressive noble rear end.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
patchy voice acting report: the sick captive in merjohed has an australian accent.

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

PLEASE ASK ABOUT MY 80,000 WORD WALLACE AND GROMIT SLASH FICTION. PLEASE.

well it's not like any other anglophone accent is authentic to the setting either

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006
Yeah but they should have done that thing where you get the accents to correspond with social relations, so give the low-class Czech characters a different accent from the Germans and noble Czechs and so forth.

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

PLEASE ASK ABOUT MY 80,000 WORD WALLACE AND GROMIT SLASH FICTION. PLEASE.

with some of the characters they seem to have been going for that

like Hal is pitch perfect as a west country bumpkin, his dad's Sean Bean Yorkshire accent tips you off quite handily that he's wise and stoic and will die in the first act, his mam sounds like yon thick woman in the vicar of dibley

so they're all good peasant stock

but beyond that, yeah, it kind of goes all over the place, like they maybe fleshed out and directed the main speaking roles and then for everyone else they just asked the VA to ad lib whatever they thought a vaguely english accent sounded like (or, after trying and failing to put one one, just do the lines in their own accent)

Shanghaied
Oct 12, 2004

BIG PAD

Neurosis posted:

links don't work. ah well, sounds like i haven't missed out too much by only having access to herod's. i've seen stinger dropped here and there but didn't think it particularly worthwhile. still trying to find a good blunt weapon. i hope any dlc adds two-handed swords, more fully developed polearms, and crossbows. also that it fixes the lock-on thing but given how hard they seem to work to stop you from taking off lock-on it might be a serious issue in getting the enemy to react properly when locked on

I'm not super optimistic regarding additional weapons in DLCs. It seems that the combat system is pretty central to the game and they sort of built everything else around that, like how archery is intentionally nerfed with the shaking and the lack of reticle, because otherwise it would have been far too powerful and gives people no reason to engage with the melee system. Same with pole arms, I have not tried them myself, but people who have have generally said that it broke the combat system because enemies with normal weapons can never quite reach you. It seems that the combat system doesn't really take into account reach at all once you lock onto the enemy, so all swords for example have the same reach.

But I think crossbows could work as something that deals loads of damage without the shakes, but basically impossible to reload in combat, like you would crossbow someone in the face at the beginning and then finish them off with melee if they are still standing.

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010
There's no real consistency in it. The ethnically German dude in Skallitz who supports Sigismund sounds the same as the local Czechs, while the bald goateed knight who kills your father (Markward something?) has a clear German accent. Then again, the game takes place in a relatively small area, so there probably shouldn't be much in the way of different accents in the area. Different sociolects for different classes and different accents for those who are explicit outsiders to the region is a different matter, though.

Polyseme
Sep 6, 2009

GROUCH DIVISION

Shanghaied posted:

I'm not super optimistic regarding additional weapons in DLCs. It seems that the combat system is pretty central to the game and they sort of built everything else around that, like how archery is intentionally nerfed with the shaking and the lack of reticle, because otherwise it would have been far too powerful and gives people no reason to engage with the melee system. Same with pole arms, I have not tried them myself, but people who have have generally said that it broke the combat system because enemies with normal weapons can never quite reach you. It seems that the combat system doesn't really take into account reach at all once you lock onto the enemy, so all swords for example have the same reach.

But I think crossbows could work as something that deals loads of damage without the shakes, but basically impossible to reload in combat, like you would crossbow someone in the face at the beginning and then finish them off with melee if they are still standing.

Look, Warband is coming soon.

taels
Oct 19, 2012

K:CID:X

Rock Puncher posted:

it wants a computer from 10 years in the future

Literally cryengine and it still runs rough

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

Party Plane Jones posted:

Doesn't do anything for me, not a single frame more (1080).

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

I have to say, for all the reputation of CryEngine being a resource hog, it seems to scale down remarkably well. My rig is old as balls (still using a Geforce 660Ti :toot:), but after dialing everything down to low-medium settings the whole thing runs quite well at 30+ fps pretty much all the time. Sure, it doesn't look all that pretty (but also no worse than, say, Skyrim), but it's actually perfectly playable so far. Though the big battles might be a problem down the line. :ohdear:

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

haldolium posted:

Doesn't do anything for me, not a single frame more (1080).

1080 here as well and same.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Palpek posted:

This is the good poo poo, added it to my guide here: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1305878776

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 23 hours!
How can I play this game without worrying about supporting white supremacy

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Here are some videos with a few more details:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9WmVXjPhGgU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=leDcvDG_s18

I wish there was some material where all the details of the system are simply listed.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

kidkissinger posted:

There's no ethical consumption under capitalism. :shrug:

Real answer: back the kickstarter four years ago before that poo poo was public knowledge

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Kopijeger posted:

The ethnically German dude in Skallitz who supports Sigismund sounds the same as the local Czechs

that guy actually slips in and out of a slight German accent depending on what he's saying. (and no he's not code switching or modeling any other sociolinguistic phenomenon, it's because he is bad at acting)

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Feb 19, 2018

junan_paalla
Dec 29, 2009

Seriously, do drugs

Perestroika posted:

I have to say, for all the reputation of CryEngine being a resource hog, it seems to scale down remarkably well. My rig is old as balls (still using a Geforce 660Ti :toot:), but after dialing everything down to low-medium settings the whole thing runs quite well at 30+ fps pretty much all the time. Sure, it doesn't look all that pretty (but also no worse than, say, Skyrim), but it's actually perfectly playable so far. Though the big battles might be a problem down the line. :ohdear:

I'm running with a 660 and a 3,3Ghz quad core from like 2014 and the game chugs along at 20-30+fps with everything on low. Playable, but I'd love some more frames. Can't wait for gpu prices to drop...

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

kidkissinger posted:

lmao

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
Do you want to break the game right after the intro?
When you wake up in Rattay, you can walk NE of Neurof and find a chest with expensive plate & mail - a full suit, and like 3 of the strongest weapons in the game and a very expensive shield in an unlocked chest in an abandoned camp. Bring a horse or steal one from the farm located directly SW. The chest is visible from the road. Maintenance would be an issue as is the weight, but you could just wear the super nice breastplate with whatever you are using, or just use the baller weapons.
I ran into two random encounters on the way, both bandits I shot in the eye as soon as I saw them.

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

The main character in this game is such a retarded goon. In modern times he'd be a plumber and a Stoke fan.

Woohoo
Apr 1, 2008

kidkissinger posted:

Why would you worry about it? White supremacy needs your support! Everybody likes caring and supportive people anyway, why would you not want to be one?

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof

Watch this dude’s series of videos if you are struggling with the game’s combat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iW6KPdpdDkQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

KyloWinter posted:

Watch this dude’s series of videos if you are struggling with the game’s combat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iW6KPdpdDkQ

Thanks, will do.

Mostly what I think is going to have me struggling over the next bit at least is the imbalances with "endgame" gear: the preorder bonus and neuhof-northeast chest gear is all so much dramatically better than everything else that

1) I feel I should restart without using that stuff, but / or

2) it's all so goddam good! The Stinger shortsword is by far the best sword in the game, not least because it's a *short* sword, so you can use it with a shield, and it does crazy high stabbing damage. The next best short sword I can find is the "Noble Sword" that does 60 stabbing (Piercer, St. George's, Longinus, St. Michael's etc. are all longswords). Reason this matters is that you can't use a shield with a longsword and do longsword combo moves.