Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

knows a black guy posted:

Would this be the thread to ask if anyone will be seeing the Smashing Pumpkins' 30th anniversary tour? They're coming to Denver and I never saw them while I was a huge fan. Most of the original lineup, playing the classic albums.

Absolutely. We used to have a Pumpkins thread, but it got archived. I thought about resurrecting it for the tour and the silly batshit Billy drama that surrounds it, but every time I try and draft up a real effort post I get pulled into other things.

This will be something like my 12th time to see them, and if this set list and line up delivers it will probably be the last time. You ever have that moment where you see a long time favorite band and figure "ok, this was peak." I don't need see them again? I caught Jane's Addiction on that NIN|JA tour. That was the original line up and they did nothing past Ritual de lo Habitual and it was earth shattering. There is absolutely no need for me to see those guys live again, because nothing would touch that set.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

No Darcy no ticket

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

hatelull posted:

Absolutely. We used to have a Pumpkins thread, but it got archived. I thought about resurrecting it for the tour and the silly batshit Billy drama that surrounds it, but every time I try and draft up a real effort post I get pulled into other things.

This will be something like my 12th time to see them, and if this set list and line up delivers it will probably be the last time. You ever have that moment where you see a long time favorite band and figure "ok, this was peak." I don't need see them again? I caught Jane's Addiction on that NIN|JA tour. That was the original line up and they did nothing past Ritual de lo Habitual and it was earth shattering. There is absolutely no need for me to see those guys live again, because nothing would touch that set.

I saw Jane's three times, once they played all of Nothing's Shocking plus Three Days and Stop, once they played all of Ritual plus a cover of Rebel Rebel, Ted, Mountain Song, and Jane Says. I think I'm good, unless they end up playing a festival that I end up at.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I'm really happy that James is back and not that upset about D'arcy, but I'm not really pumped that it's going to be an arena tour and I'm apprehensive that there isn't going to be any spontaneity or deep cuts in the setlist. Also dreading to see how much tickets are going to be. But, hey, they got the Siamese Dream girls to come back!

Anonymous John
Mar 8, 2002
Lol apparently the second SP reunion cashgrab tour isn't selling as expected. WTF did they expect by booking the biggest arenas across the acountry.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

A couple older tracks:

Radio Birdman: New Race
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5W4x5qHG9sQ

Budgie: Breadfan
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=54H3EUAzpVg

Jeremy_X
Jul 27, 2006

Budgie is great. This track and video has always struck me as Rush from the reality where they're the guys pushing people into lockers and reading muscle car magazines instead of being the Hobbit reading, Fountainhead quoting nerds that they are in our reality.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Anonymous John posted:

Lol apparently the second SP reunion cashgrab tour isn't selling as expected. WTF did they expect by booking the biggest arenas across the acountry.

Stolen from PYF news headline thread:

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Jeremy_X posted:

Budgie is great. This track and video has always struck me as Rush from the reality where they're the guys pushing people into lockers and reading muscle car magazines instead of being the Hobbit reading, Fountainhead quoting nerds that they are in our reality.

Yeah they were a pretty nerdy looking band but great.

:jiggled: live Grand Funk, motherfuckers :jiggled:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L2xDCbEdWwA

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

Anonymous John posted:

I was considering seeing them but not at a giant arena for $130 before fees, are they loving mad?

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Chicago sold out quick enough that they added a 2nd show.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Basically this. There were cheaper seats here like $59 but those were very lovely. I don't love arena shows anyway, and between that, the cost and the fact that they're doing one very specific setlist saps any interest I would have had.

The D'arcy thing, whatever, she was never really that big a part of the band's sound anyway, and I'd have taken Melissa or even Nicole over her. Maybe James will go out to support the new album whenever that comes out and I'll see them then, hopefully in a midsize venue or theater or something.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

I wanted more "deep cuts" from that set list than the "play the hits" vibe the instragram thing showed.

Where's my "Silverfuck" or "Starla"?

Hell, give me a "Hello Kitty-Kat" or "Pissant." "The End Is The Beginning Is the End" would have been neat fan service.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

banned from Starbucks posted:

Chicago sold out quick enough that they added a 2nd show.

Yeah but they're one of the biggest bands ever to come out of here

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Does that even still matter 20+ years later?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Does that even still matter 20+ years later?

Evidently yes. Bob Seger remains a huge draw in Detroit 40 years after his heyday and I doubt he sells out many arenas elsewhere.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

hatelull posted:

I wanted more "deep cuts" from that set list than the "play the hits" vibe the instragram thing showed.

Where's my "Silverfuck" or "Starla"?

Hell, give me a "Hello Kitty-Kat" or "Pissant." "The End Is The Beginning Is the End" would have been neat fan service.

That's the thing about this prewritten setlist, there's none of that, there's no spontaneity, nothing. Go to spfc.org and look up their setlists from any night before they did that tour with Marilyn Manson, they're all different, every night.

The one thing I do like about that setlist is nothing from Monuments or Teargarden (other than Song For A Son, that song fucks hard).

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Obvious cash grap arena reunion tours are for playing just the hits. If you really wanted deep cuts or their 10 minute long jam sessions you has the last 12+ years for that.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
But not with James 😩

Turambar
Feb 20, 2001

A Túrin Turambar turun ambartanen
Grimey Drawer
Some sad news from Lonely The Brave
https://twitter.com/lonelythebrave/status/972934938877153280

Saw them in concert twice. Once as the opener of a festival day. Rain pouring down, but a warm feeling in my heart.

I don't know how well known they were in the US.

Here's what you've been missing
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ue2swhK9M6k

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

Paul Gilbert would like to provide you all with a public service announcement.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jzlJQyURUIU

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Seventh Arrow posted:

Paul Gilbert would like to provide you all with a public service announcement.

It is beautiful indeed having the Racer X guy give sensible road advice, I like that.

I saw Andrew W.K. again last week, that's a good time. One of the guitarists rocking in his band these days has a video game cover band, Descendants of Erdrick. Everybody should have one.

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 09:16 on May 21, 2018

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

I nearly forgot - I saw on itunes a while ago that there's a :airquote: new :airquote: Jimi Hendrix album out, "Both Sides of the Sky." But according to the Rolling Stone review (and as you can imagine), "the barrel has been fully scraped." Although there are apparently some interesting tracks, there's stuff like Hendrix on bass back up Stephen Stills and a jam with Johnny Winters that mostly features Winters instead of Jimi.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord
If any of you dad-rocking Rush fans have been searching for the "next Rush," I've finally found 'em.

YYNOT

They released their debut album today and they've really nailed that unique sound that Rush has. I'm pretty sure they flat out steal the guitar solo from "Farewell to Kings" on this one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FlvnbnLH3wU

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I was going to make a joke about how that track was an instrumental song because they hadn't found their Giddy Lee copy yet. Then the woman sang and I can see that they did.

That is straight up a counterfeit Rush album.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord

IUG posted:

That is straight up a counterfeit Rush album.

Pretty much. Speaking of instrumentals, if you told me this was a Rush instrumental that was left off one of their albums, I'd believe you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KnllYxjuEh0

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

Would not be surprised if those guys grind their 2112 CDs into powder and snort them on the weekends.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Dadbod Apocalypse posted:

They released their debut album today and they've really nailed that unique sound that Rush has. I'm pretty sure they flat out steal the guitar solo from "Farewell to Kings" on this one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FlvnbnLH3wU

so it's not a unique sound at all then?

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord
the new orginals

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Of all the group's to imitate in 2018 why Rush?

It's like that alt rock group that just sprung up thats desperately trying to be Led Zeppelin

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Of all the group's to imitate in 2018 why Rush?

It's like that alt rock group that just sprung up thats desperately trying to be Led Zeppelin

Greta Van Fleet? It’s working out extremely well for them so far.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6mI_CSNvjg

The YYNOT video made me think of Bat Fangs, whose new album is very much in the vein of Joan Jett/Runaways/etc.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

So I guess Alice Cooper has an 'unofficial trilogy' of sorts - he calls them the "blackout sessions" because, due to his extreme substance abuse at the time, he barely remembers anything about recording them. These are "Special Forces" (1980), ""Zipper Catches Skin" (1981), and "DaDa" (1983). He only toured for "Special Forces." I was intrigued, so I decided to check them out. Actually, I've had "Zipper Catches Skin" since the late 80s so I'm quite familiar with it. The things that strike me is that although none of them are particularly heavy, the songs are catchy and the lyrics are certainly inventive (if cheesy in places). There are songs like "Make That Money", about someone who grows up with a heartless, Scrooge-like dad; "You're A Movie", about a narcissist military leader; "Zorro's Ascent" an ode to the pulp novel character, and one of my favourites, "No Man's Land", a song about the perverted adventures of a mall Santa. If you're tired about rock songs that sing about partying all night and rocking till the light of day and all that nonsense, then you might get a kick out of these albums. I thought that the satire on reagan-era America was pretty amusing too:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y7mKa1ClA6o

If anyone else has given these a listen, it'd be interesting to hear what you think!

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord
Thanks for that post. I’ve never bothered to check Alice Cooper out. I don’t know why — he’s been a presence in music for so long, but sadly I only really know him for “No More Mister Nice Guy.” I gotta give him some listening time.

Do you have any particular rec on what I should start with?

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Dadbod Apocalypse posted:

Thanks for that post. I’ve never bothered to check Alice Cooper out. I don’t know why — he’s been a presence in music for so long, but sadly I only really know him for “No More Mister Nice Guy.” I gotta give him some listening time.

Do you have any particular rec on what I should start with?

Love it to death and Killer are both great. Schools Out is good to. After that it loses something.

Idk if their first album is still really hard to find, it was when I was a kid and into Alice Cooper. But i remember liking that one too. It’s bad psychedelic music and it’s funny.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

Alice Cooper's Greatest Hits is actually a pretty good compilation if you want all the catchy hits in one place. His latest album, "Paranormal" also has some pretty solid material on it - I really like the song "Fireball".

"School's Out", as mentioned, has some great songs...the whole album has a sort of rock West Side Story theme going through it. His solo stuff can be uneven but you might want to also try "Alice Cooper Goes To Hell".

Finally, there's also a documentary called "Super Duper Alice Cooper" although I haven't seen it yet.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Alice Cooper goes to hell is awful.

Fart.Bleed.Repeat.
Sep 29, 2001

Wrong thread, as Primus is its own genre?

Wiki posted:

Primus is the only band with its own ID3 genre tag, 'Primus', as introduced by Winamp.[73]

Fart.Bleed.Repeat.
Sep 29, 2001

This weekends hard rock entertainment, maybe stray a tiny bit from a strict definition, but it was all good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Fart.Bleed.Repeat. posted:

Wrong thread, as Primus is its own genre?

This was from 2017. Also, this album was pretty awesome. I only had their first three albums, but when my wife moved in, she brought the book with her. I had to check out this album for just that reason. It's like if Primus met prog.

• Locked thread