Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Dipped my toes into chapter 5 of Celeste for like 15 minutes before bed. It's good poo poo. I'm back in. The previous chapter's B-Side tore me down but the new level is bringing me right back up again. Can't wait for this chapter's B-Side to make me want to die :v:

Games that are really hard like this tend to be a bit tilting so being able to just put the Switch down and pick it up again later and be at the exact spot I just left off is really nice. It brings back memories of trying to 100% Donkey Kong Country Returns on the 3DS and having to frequently put the 3DS down during particularly hard bonus levels and trying to get all the collectables for fear of snapping my 3DS in half. Celeste is good, the Switch is good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
I've seen some people complain about the torch mechanic in chapter five, and while I get what they're saying, I think it's a really cool integration of the idea that death/failure is always teaching you something

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

al-azad posted:

I really want to see what the original Japanese for this is unless it’s an English specific dialog or they use midori to specify.
I just looked it up, he doesn't address it in japanese. I don't think they generally make as much of a distinction between blue/red kojin in the japanese version though. in english whenever they talk about kojin they're always very careful to say "of the Blue" or "of the Red" for whatever reason, where in japanese they do talk about red-shells and blue-shells (and they do use ao) but whenever they mention the "kojin tribe" its taken for granted that they're talking about the blue ones.

the english localization of ff14 is known for taking lots of liberties though, to the point that the japanese players are apparently jealous that ours has lots of jokes and references and theirs is just dry high fantasy

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Don't listen to those two hussies! Gave me the clap, they did.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

PantsBandit posted:

I'm about 9 hours into Subnautica and it has been extreeeeemely my poo poo so far. It's so incredibly immersive and the gameplay loop makes your gradual progression from being completely lost and unprepared to dominating the environment feel totally natural. One small example, I just finished putting some grav traps down around my base. I used to have to search around for wildlife to keep myself fed, but now I can go collect the small fish being drawn in by my trap.

I think the best way to go into it is as blind as possible, there is such a rich world to discover on your own, so I won't go into details. Suffice it to say, if you're into immersive games, sci-fi games, survival games, or any combination of the 3 you should definitely check out Subnautica.

just... just get into the habit of hitting esc and clicking save a lot

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

al-azad posted:

I really want to see what the original Japanese for this is unless it’s an English specific dialog or they use midori to specify.
From what I can tell digging around, the Japanese dialogue doesn't even give the guy a color-themed nickname. I haven't played the game though, I'm just using a database site that has quest dialogue transcripts in both English and Japanese. That exchange in Japanese is just

Soroban the Kojin: The Kojin tribe are people of the sea, so we trade marine goods. Jewelry made from seashells and pearls, seafood... we'd be deeply grateful if we could trade with the East Aldenard Trading Company.

Hancock: I see... bringing in new customers, huh? I'm impressed!

Though maybe there's some mention of colors of Kojin later, and that inspired the gag in this scene? Either way, the entire bit seems to have been an invention of translation.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 08:48 on Feb 19, 2018

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Endorph posted:

From what I can tell digging around, the Japanese dialogue doesn't even give the guy a color-themed nickname. I haven't played the game though, I'm just using a database site that has quest dialogue transcripts in both English and Japanese. That exchange in Japanese is just

Soroban the Kojin: The Kojin tribe are people of the sea, so we trade marine goods. Jewelry made from seashells and pearls, seafood... we'd be deeply grateful if we could trade with the East Aldenard Trading Company.

Hancock: I see... bringing in new customers, huh? I'm impressed!

Though maybe there's some mention of colors of Kojin later, and that inspired the gag in this scene? Either way, the entire bit seems to have been an invention of translation.

A supermajority of the English writing is an invention of translation from what I saw playing the game (haven't played the last two patches though)

Koji Fox Must Be Stopped

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I was at a panel done by the head localizer of ff14 and he said that in the Japanese, Hancock (a character from fantasy Europe living as a trader in fantasy Japan) was a Japanese stereotype of western foreigners: boisterous, loud, bighearted, but not too smart. Koji decided to just turn him into a weeaboo in the localized version, so lines like that were added to reinforce his different character

It should be noted that Koji Fox is amazing and from everything I've heard (almost) all the localization changes he spearheads are for the better, and he does it with the full blessing of the Japanese writing team (and has multiple times had his changes backported into the Japanese version because it's just better).

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

To be fair, from what I've seen of the Japanese dialogue, it was pretty dry. And the characters and events of the plot are mostly the same, minus a few characters gaining some gag traits - they seem to mostly keep the really wild inventions to the random boring sidequests too, instead of the quests that massively progress the plot. So iunno, I'm fine with them getting a little liberal, greasing the wheels a little. If it was a tightly plotted 6 hour action game it'd be bad but in an MMO with hundreds of hours of dialogue I can't blame them for wanting people to have a laugh here or there.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Koji Fox is responsible for this, so you know he has to be good:

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Endorph posted:

yeah they use the terms 紅甲羅 and 碧甲羅 (for context they're turtle people that divide themselves along the line of what color their shells+skin are)

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

cheetah7071 posted:

Koji Fox is responsible for this, so you know he has to be good:

god even looking for it, knowing the pants were there, i really thought he was wearing nothing at all

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

bn6 rules

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Endorph posted:

bn6 rules

its writing is genuinely kind of funny and lively in a way that i think even puts it above the first three, on top of having a legit cool setting

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

bleh, mega wind storm's making the buildings all creaky and scaring the cats and keeping me up

don't even feel like vidyagamin but it's too loud around here to sleep consarnit :arghfist::saddowns:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Kingdom Come's save system is great, except when it isn't. Basically they should have just done what modern Dragon Quest games do, which is allow you to Quicksave anytime but delete that save when you load it, with beds and booze reserved for making a "permanent" save. I don't think it should be patched to just let you save anywhere, constantly because the gameplay would actually suffer. Extremely minor spoilers for the prologue, and this is also a mini-review of why the game owns:

After my village is attacked by a mad king (something else they borrowed from JRPGs, heh) I'm in a castle of a friend of my dad's who won't let me leave for my own good because I'm a peasant with literally no skills in life aside from apprentice blacksmithery and being a drunk failson. My quest begins to get back to the village so I can bury my dead parents. I could have only saved during the following events by drinking Save Booze, which you get a few of at the start but they are super expensive and you should keep them, or even sell them because you're so broke:

So I have to leave the castle, but the guard won't defy orders. Him and the lady of the keep suggest I steal some armor and pretend to be a guard going out on patrol. The armory, obviously, has some, but it's locked up and I could barely afford a single lockpick. So after breaking my pick, I look around for a solitary guard, sneak up behind him and knock him out and steal his armor. I take my horse and head out.

Halfway there I find a burned church with the dead bodies of people who tried to hide inside it. After getting off my horse, it runs away because it wasn't really "mine", it was just the horse I had happened to ride away with when I made my escape from Mom and Dad's Farmhouse. Well gently caress, now I have to walk the rest of the way and I'm getting hungry, but it's only about 2 km (2 actual, realistic kilometers). I meet a lone bandit on the road. I have never fought anyone before in my life, certainly not with a sword, aside from the very short lesson that I got from a traveling warrior in the opening. But being defensive and patient works and he eventually surrenders. I tell him to leave his weapon and leg it. I suffered several small injuries which make me slower, but I'm mostly alright.

I get to the village and stupidly I'm just making a ton of noise, attracting the attention of another, more aggressive bandit and his friends. I run and hide and manage to isolate one of them, who I dispatch while taking more injuries. His friends thankfully are easy to avoid, so I make it to the village battered, covered in blood and mud, with my screen even having blood all over it because I took a blow to the head and it's bleeding over my eyes. I find my parents' bodies, and one survivor who is being an rear end in a top hat and looting the dead. I try to argue sense into him but he wants my expensive sword and I barely take him down. In the miserable rain, half dead, I find a shovel and bury my parents in an honestly great cutscene.

And then some real bandits show up and beat me nearly to death, triggering the actual opening credits (which has an amazing acoustic guitar song) and the start of the real game.

Now, if you read all that, you no doubt can see several points where, if this had been Elder Scrolls or any regular degular WRPG, I would have saved and reloaded until I got an optimal outcome. Having that option be very expensive and thus not worth it forced me to accept the many things I failed at, including conversation options, because this game has a great conversation system (it's simple, but great). And that actually made the game better, it made things feel more urgent and real and not video gamey. And that's cool!

But as many have pointed out, that doesn't really account for like, having a job and a wife and so forth, that bit took an hour or two and it's never good to force a player to choose between leaving their system on and wasting electricity or having to replay a big chunk of game, so like I said, it should adopt the JRPG Quicksave system.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PAPpJWI4eIo

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I remember seeing a preview for this at E3. Gonna be honest, I wasn't expecting there to be air combos and DMC pistols in this cutesy animal souls game. Very strange.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
It's too bad HUNT is no longer coop RE4, this old video still looks great
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJstk5hPDjY

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
Yoshi's Wooly World is REAL GOOD. It's been on my shelf for nearly two years and I'm just now sitting down with it. I beat all of world 1 in a single sitting and it was a blast. This is some real good Nintendo Level Design. :D

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Wildtortilla posted:

Yoshi's Wooly World is REAL GOOD. It's been on my shelf for nearly two years and I'm just now sitting down with it. I beat all of world 1 in a single sitting and it was a blast. This is some real good Nintendo Level Design. :D

Whats there for me, mr please crush my balls platform gamer

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Wildtortilla posted:

I've had it since launch and have only made it like halfway through because I only play it when my wife has free time to play coop with me.
Come to think of it, this is a problem with a lot of coop games that have been in my backlog for years.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
Have you considered Mormonism?

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Real hurthling! posted:

The bonus levels will gladly crush your balls

Also many of the non-bonus levels because the checkpointing is extremely rude

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

The real horror of the Gilded Age was wealth inequality, I would play a game where you hunted that

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Real hurthling! posted:

It's definitely on the easy side as far as platformers go, although some of the later levels ratchet things up a little.

Really it's a good platformer because it's got really clever level design that encourages you to explore for secrets. If that's something that appeals to you in platformers you'll probably like Wooly World, but if you just like challenging games it may not be for you.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

Real hurthling! posted:

I'm getting more out of because the levels are densely packed with secrets to find more than ball busting platforming challenges. Navigating the stages perfectly makes you feel like a badass, but you'll probably not die while doing so.

edit: it's cute and clever as heck. The music is fun too! :D

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Is the 3ds version good you guys make it sound fun

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Samuringa posted:

Have you considered Mormonism?

That would provide more co-op options, but I feel like video games are the kind of thing Mormons would generally frown upon

Real hurthling! posted:

Is the 3ds version good you guys make it sound fun

It's only one player IIRC so it's kind of a deal breaker for me personally, but I've heard that it's otherwise pretty much identical to the Wii U version.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Real hurthling! posted:

Get 100% collectables in the bonus stages.

The stage with the giant piranha plant that chases you :suicide:

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

Macaluso posted:

Get 100% collectables in the bonus stages.

The stage with the giant piranha plant that chases you :suicide:

I tapped out at the one where you have to ride a Bullet Bill’s trail and keep him alive for the whole level. That level should be illegal.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
What are your guys favorite Mario enemies? Mine are Shy Guys, there's a lot of em and they seems to be having a good time. An industrious civilization.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

precision posted:

Kingdom Come's save system is great, except when it isn't. Basically they should have just done what modern Dragon Quest games do, which is allow you to Quicksave anytime but delete that save when you load it, with beds and booze reserved for making a "permanent" save. I don't think it should be patched to just let you save anywhere, constantly because the gameplay would actually suffer. Extremely minor spoilers for the prologue, and this is also a mini-review of why the game owns:

After my village is attacked by a mad king (something else they borrowed from JRPGs, heh) I'm in a castle of a friend of my dad's who won't let me leave for my own good because I'm a peasant with literally no skills in life aside from apprentice blacksmithery and being a drunk failson. My quest begins to get back to the village so I can bury my dead parents. I could have only saved during the following events by drinking Save Booze, which you get a few of at the start but they are super expensive and you should keep them, or even sell them because you're so broke:

So I have to leave the castle, but the guard won't defy orders. Him and the lady of the keep suggest I steal some armor and pretend to be a guard going out on patrol. The armory, obviously, has some, but it's locked up and I could barely afford a single lockpick. So after breaking my pick, I look around for a solitary guard, sneak up behind him and knock him out and steal his armor. I take my horse and head out.

Halfway there I find a burned church with the dead bodies of people who tried to hide inside it. After getting off my horse, it runs away because it wasn't really "mine", it was just the horse I had happened to ride away with when I made my escape from Mom and Dad's Farmhouse. Well gently caress, now I have to walk the rest of the way and I'm getting hungry, but it's only about 2 km (2 actual, realistic kilometers). I meet a lone bandit on the road. I have never fought anyone before in my life, certainly not with a sword, aside from the very short lesson that I got from a traveling warrior in the opening. But being defensive and patient works and he eventually surrenders. I tell him to leave his weapon and leg it. I suffered several small injuries which make me slower, but I'm mostly alright.

I get to the village and stupidly I'm just making a ton of noise, attracting the attention of another, more aggressive bandit and his friends. I run and hide and manage to isolate one of them, who I dispatch while taking more injuries. His friends thankfully are easy to avoid, so I make it to the village battered, covered in blood and mud, with my screen even having blood all over it because I took a blow to the head and it's bleeding over my eyes. I find my parents' bodies, and one survivor who is being an rear end in a top hat and looting the dead. I try to argue sense into him but he wants my expensive sword and I barely take him down. In the miserable rain, half dead, I find a shovel and bury my parents in an honestly great cutscene.

And then some real bandits show up and beat me nearly to death, triggering the actual opening credits (which has an amazing acoustic guitar song) and the start of the real game.

Now, if you read all that, you no doubt can see several points where, if this had been Elder Scrolls or any regular degular WRPG, I would have saved and reloaded until I got an optimal outcome. Having that option be very expensive and thus not worth it forced me to accept the many things I failed at, including conversation options, because this game has a great conversation system (it's simple, but great). And that actually made the game better, it made things feel more urgent and real and not video gamey. And that's cool!

But as many have pointed out, that doesn't really account for like, having a job and a wife and so forth, that bit took an hour or two and it's never good to force a player to choose between leaving their system on and wasting electricity or having to replay a big chunk of game, so like I said, it should adopt the JRPG Quicksave system.

Sigismund is real dude and a pretty good king, hell he becomes holy roman emperor. He is just ruthless as gently caress and doesn't give gently caress about crushing anyone who could gently caress/rebel against him. he is also cheap which is why he is basicaly using cuman mercs. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sigismund,_Holy_Roman_Emperor

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Dry Bones.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Expect My Mom posted:

What are your guys favorite Mario enemies? Mine are Shy Guys, there's a lot of em and they seems to be having a good time. An industrious civilization.

Boos probably.

FauxLeather
Nov 7, 2016

Um Bongo
#WiggerWednesday

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

Boos and Bullet Bills and Lakitus and Spinies are all extremely cool.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Real hurthling! posted:

Here's a very tough stage (especially when going for all of the collectibles and if you're playing co-op) that is more or less just "Naval Piranha gets his revenge for being skipped"

• Locked thread