Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

pseudorandom name posted:

android isn't desktop linux

right, people actually use android

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Sapozhnik posted:

the modern computing landscape was built by libertarians, and so that computing landscape was realized as a perfect libertarian hellscape where everybody lives in an armored fortress peeking out from iron slits at their similarly-armed neighbours. organized bands of marauders roam the landscape and if one of them blasts down your door with mortar fire and steals everything inside, well, it's you who was stupid enough not to keep up with the onerous cycle of maintenance on your armored dwelling.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug
John SteamOS

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

Fiedler posted:

Haven't we already established that your employer uses an absurdly atypical environment in order to work around having the world's biggest shitpile of legacy C++ outside of Redmond, WA?

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Fiedler posted:

Haven't we already established that your employer uses an absurdly atypical environment in order to work around having the world's biggest shitpile of legacy C++ outside of Redmond, WA?

I don’t think even Microsoft’s, Adobe’s, and Autodesk’s enormous C++ codebases are incapable of being built on developers’ workstations or even portables

nbsd’s work’s codebase really must be… something awful

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
yeah those companies aren't stupid enough to use boost for anything

microsoft style c++ is probably the most sane form of c++ in fact. atl is unironically better than the actual c++ standard library. not that this is a terribly high bar to clear.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

MS legacy c++ is going to be vc6 compatible right? so it’s going to look a lot like C with classes

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

pretty sure all three of them make extensive use of boost as well as STL

one of the most consistent criticism I’ve heard about Microsoft over the years is that they keep making all this stuff for third party developers to use like MFC and ATL and WFC and so on and they don’t use it themselves

even after the advent of .NET it was a major coup there that DevDiv was able to switch Visual Studio over to dogfooding everything in .NET including the new UI classes, because that almost never happens

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

quote:

We are a Linux house because of my long held views on it being better than Windows in so many ways. I try to pass on my floss beliefs to my children, so they also use Linux on their laptops. We have no Windows devices on the network.

But...my son watches the YouTubers playing games only available on Windows. He has Steam for Linux, but the games he wants aren't available.

I get it, but I've learned to accept this and if devs don't support my choice of os then they don't get my money.

But he doesn't see it that way and just wants the games. I see it as a massive potential compromise on the network, and a pain for me to maintain securely. Not to mention it being negative in the freedom dimension. Right?

So, as per the title, should I let him have Windows? And what is the safest way to isolate his machine from the network?

quote:

So, throw it behind a (wireless) router. That's how it is here. The kids grew up with Linux, but they're gamers. First a coupla Nintendo DS wanted network access, and we got a wifi router, then one each. They bought their own Win7 laptops -- okay, hook 'em up behind your routers; nothing higher than win98se is going directly on my ethernet because it all phones home. They bought various consoles which also hook into those routers. It's one IP# each for two routers for two bedrooms no matter how many devices are up and talking behind them, so I can throw up one firewall block for trouble (like somebody's laptop goes out visiting and comes home with a botnet infection -- I see heavy DNS traffic in etherape and block that router until they take it offline for reinstall). We're on DSL, so one station torrenting (or Steam's version of same) can hog all the bandwidth at the gateway, so I set bulktime hours of 0000~0600, outside of which you keep it to one stream and <50M or you get blocked. It might take a few nights to get that game all pulled in, but nobody gets totally lagged out and anything that wants to phone home only has that router's subnet to report.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

i think win98se is going to be phoning someone soon after it’s put on the internet

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

I, for one, welcome our new mouse overlords.

eschaton posted:

one of the most consistent criticism I’ve heard about Microsoft over the years is that they keep making all this stuff for third party developers to use like MFC and ATL and WFC and so on and they don’t use it themselves

even after the advent of .NET it was a major coup there that DevDiv was able to switch Visual Studio over to dogfooding everything in .NET including the new UI classes, because that almost never happens

So this covers Microsoft circa 1998-2003, then?

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Suspicious Dish posted:

right here???? that's the default view of the win10 start menu.

Does anyone use those tiles to the right? I feel like it's Microsoft trying to keep the last vestiges of Windows 8 alive.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

akadajet posted:

Does anyone use those tiles to the right? I feel like it's Microsoft trying to keep the last vestiges of Windows 8 alive.

no, and even if you delete all of the garbage you don't want it apparently just comes back with an update

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
microsoft definitely uses ATL for any C++ COM code and ActiveX controls (they're not just for IE, never were). what else do you think they would use? They don't use MFC because it's not particularly flexible and requires a fat redist library

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

akadajet posted:

people with Surface tablets probably (all 10 of them)

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

The_Franz posted:

no, and even if you delete all of the garbage you don't want it apparently just comes back with an update

i guess they need some place to show you ads.

RobobTheGreat
Jul 14, 2003

Mind your manners when talking to the king!

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

i just don't play any games that don't work on linux

problem solved

sound advice

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

I, for one, welcome our new mouse overlords.

RobobTheGreat posted:

sound advice

You'll need to give us more information about the problem if you want help getting sound to work on linux.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

loving hell

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

akadajet posted:

yeah it feels like clinging to past. all people ive seen either just ignore them, or, usually, delete the tiles so the menu is smaller (if you delete all you can fully collapse it to program list)

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

The_Franz posted:

that's not a start menu problem, the layout stays the same - maybe if excluding major biannual service updates. now candy crush saga is like apt at this point, for home editions, though

RobobTheGreat
Jul 14, 2003

Fiedler posted:

You'll need to give us more information about the problem if you want help getting sound to work on linux.

:laugh:

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
I think ever since I switched to Fedora 10ish years ago, I have never had an issue with sound. :shrug:

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

akadajet posted:

yeah I have news and weather and a few apps I don't use often but want to be able to get to quickly

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Suspicious Dish posted:

you'd love my actual desktop then

why do you need windirstat when all your files are right there???

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Suspicious Dish posted:

you'd love my actual desktop then

I'm the picture of the hotdog you keep on your desktop for quick access.

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
we're transitioning to win 10 at my non-technical work pretty soon. looking forward to seeing a disgusting barf of live tiles every time I see a co-workers computer. In addition to desktops like the desktop.cx picture above

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
my desktop used to look like that back in the '95 days, but then '98 introduced a "hide icons on desktop" option and I've never looked back

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

if i can't be the hot dog then i'm the kid from the goofy movie making a funny face

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

"I try to pass on my floss beliefs to my children" sounds like something you should probably talk to a doctor about, and not do intentionally.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

Sorry, little Bobby is gonna have to homeschooled until that contagious case of floss clears up. Can't have all the kids in town catching it.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

why didnt the girl from goofy movie turn hordes of teens into insane furries like lola bunny did (i know the answer)

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

hifi posted:

why didnt the girl from goofy movie turn hordes of teens into insane furries like lola bunny did (i know the answer)

what’s the answer?

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

REVERT REVERT

DROP THIS COMMIT AND BRANCH EARLIER

oh no

RobobTheGreat
Jul 14, 2003

hifi posted:

i dont know nor do i want to

e: unless that's the setup for a good joke

RobobTheGreat fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Feb 20, 2018

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

hifi posted:

you know from personal experience, or... ?

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe

hifi posted:

reasonable answers:
1. max's girlfriend in goofy movie doesn't have a tail, furries are into that poo poo
2. goofy movie came out before the internet Was A Thing, and I'm pretty sure the internet invented furries
3. something something dolan

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug
lol of course the linux thread is talkinga botu furries

Poopernickel posted:

reasonable answers:
1. max's girlfriend in goofy movie doesn't have a tail, furries are into that poo poo
2. goofy movie came out before the internet Was A Thing, and I'm pretty sure the internet invented furries
3. something something dolan

4. nobody watched the goofy movie

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe

Cocoa Crispies posted:

4. nobody watched the goofy movie

oh yeah that too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homercles
Feb 14, 2010

eschaton posted:

reminds me of Show Stopper!: The Breakneck Race to Create Windows NT and the Next Generation at Microsoft that book was so drat good\

the magic of dogfooding