Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Onmi posted:

I... yes feel absolutely free to?

Cool, thank you!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Not pictured: The counterattack where Lloyd nails that 4% crit and kills her.

:xcom:

The adult Lyn sprites are fantastic btw.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

The Shortest Path posted:

Not pictured: The counterattack where Lloyd nails that 4% crit and kills her.

:xcom:

The adult Lyn sprites are fantastic btw.
https://clips.twitch.tv/BoringTrappedBaguetteKevinTurtle

Naturally

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Honestly if the next FE just straight up made is so enemies couldn't crit I wouldn't shed any tears over it

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

cheetah7071 posted:

Honestly if the next FE just straight up made is so enemies couldn't crit I wouldn't shed any tears over it

:same: except if they have a Killer Weapon equipped.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I was pretty cool with FE4 making it so only units with seasoned weapons, the Killer Bow, and Critical could actually proc crits, since it’s not like you’re planning around criticals to begin with without some crit rate stacking or other shenanigans like FE4/5/6 offered.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Yeah I think FE4's implementation was a good balance. It made you worry about crits from specific enemies, but not everyone in the world.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
With how luck growths have worked since FE7, crits are incredibly uncommon outside of the early game anyways unless you have someone with a bad luck gimmick like Arthur in fates.

It really is a system that could use an overhaul.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

It seems likely to me that they will experiment with a charge-based system similar to what's in Heroes (but not that exact system, because it'd suck in large levels with asymmetrical numbers).

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
Real quick, one of the animators is currently doing Crossbow animations for all the classes that can use them we got Archer all sorted

But we've no idea what to do with the Sniper Crossbow Crit

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Make snipers throw the crossbow up in the air, catch it, and shoot?

What are crossbows for?

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

If they're anything like their one appearance in the series, they're for ridiculously overkilling fliers and not much else.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Jump in the air, angle the crossbow down, and shoot them from mid-air.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Have the sniper turn around 360 degrees

Then, without looking, fire the crossbow with one hand

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Swordmaster-ish crit animation where you hit them in the face with the crossbow, obviously.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Alxprit posted:

Jump in the air, angle the crossbow down, and shoot them from mid-air.

Additionally, have the user spin several times in mid-air as if they were Sonic before shooting.

Spins always add extra power.

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Or you can see me at The Riviera. Tuesday nights.
Pillowfights with Dominican mothers.
Sniper moves so quickly that he creates afterimages like the swordmaster crit, then they fire off their crossbows seemingly at the same time to simulate a ribauldequin.

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.
Aether but they fire the crossbow while upside down in midair.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011
Backflip into firing a bunch of bolts like Edgar's AutoCrossbow from FFVI.

GBS Ambassador
Oct 31, 2013
Make the crossbow shot create an explosion effect.

RME
Feb 20, 2012

the actual leak was pretty lol but Vampire/Gothic Horror emblem would be a cool setting for a fire emblem
also itd be funny if silver weapon tier was replaced with something else, and silver swords were instead the Beast Reavers of the game

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

A gratuitous action roll forward into a kneeling position, from which they aim and shoot.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

you could just make it like the regular sniper crit animation

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

So, we decided almost all of those suggestions were a problem for multiple reasons (Air shots don't work since that's now how the animations for arrows work) but we wound up going with this

Tell me which length of spin is preferred

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

cheetah7071 posted:

it's kinda hosed up how the simple phone game version of FE is actually the best iteration

Eeepies
May 29, 2013

Bocchi-chan's... dead.
We'll have to find a new guitarist.

Onmi posted:

So, we decided almost all of those suggestions were a problem for multiple reasons (Air shots don't work since that's now how the animations for arrows work) but we wound up going with this

Tell me which length of spin is preferred

The second one looks better to me. There's really no need to extend the spin when a single spin is enough to show power, in my opinion.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

VERY fast micaiah thanibombing at incredible hihg speed

Also known as "Micaiah casually soloes 1-9 as BK watches on in confusion"

Well, she would've done that if that wasn't really slow and also a complete waste of tomes.

Sir Ilpalazzo
Sep 4, 2012
Playing Radiant Dawn for the first time. Relatively early on (just got to the giant storm-the-castle chapter with all the NPC units in part 2, died near the end because I left Astrid out in the cold) - I'm enjoying it a lot but man, this is definitely the weirdest Fire Emblem game (barring, uh, Gaiden I guess). Feels like you get two or three units who outclass most of your army every chapter in part 1, and now in part 2 you're switching out parties every chapter instead. I assume there's going to be some kind of "everyone comes together" setup down the line, but for the moment it definitely feels like the usual long-term planning aspect of Fire Emblem is downplayed here.

Enjoying the level of difficulty overall too. Playing on normal (which is actually hard I guess), it's a bit tougher than Path of Radiance was at this point in the game - easier than Binding Blade or the one playthrough of Sacred Stones I've done, but like PoR the mechanics and level design are complicated enough that that doesn't really bother me. I'll also say that although I don't enjoy the story in this game as much as Path of Radiance, since I really loved the slow burn there - definitely my favorite narrative and world in the series, just getting another fun look into Tellius is nice.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Sir Ilpalazzo posted:

Playing Radiant Dawn for the first time. Relatively early on (just got to the giant storm-the-castle chapter with all the NPC units in part 2, died near the end because I left Astrid out in the cold) - I'm enjoying it a lot but man, this is definitely the weirdest Fire Emblem game (barring, uh, Gaiden I guess). Feels like you get two or three units who outclass most of your army every chapter in part 1, and now in part 2 you're switching out parties every chapter instead. I assume there's going to be some kind of "everyone comes together" setup down the line, but for the moment it definitely feels like the usual long-term planning aspect of Fire Emblem is downplayed here.

Enjoying the level of difficulty overall too. Playing on normal (which is actually hard I guess), it's a bit tougher than Path of Radiance was at this point in the game - easier than Binding Blade or the one playthrough of Sacred Stones I've done, but like PoR the mechanics and level design are complicated enough that that doesn't really bother me. I'll also say that although I don't enjoy the story in this game as much as Path of Radiance, since I really loved the slow burn there - definitely my favorite narrative and world in the series, just getting another fun look into Tellius is nice.

Just don't look too hard or nothing'll make sense.

Sniper triggered BULLETSTORM

So the repeating Crossbow is a thing, as for the uses of Crossbows, well they've got the FE10 thing going on (They don't count Strength) but they still grab the benefit of skills. So Wade's +3 to damage so long as my HP is higher than the enemy, or Bartre's "Actually just Life and Death" do stack onto the Crossbows Mt. Their other benefit is providing a Range 1 option for the bow classes, yes even Nomads, that... probably wont be doing any one-rounding but will still provide useful damage.

Onmi fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Feb 20, 2018

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Onmi posted:

yes even Nomads

Well actually it's impossible to load a crossbow on horseback because of inability to get proper leverage on a moving surface, and furthermore...

:goonsay:

This is really neat, I'm looking forward to it.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Onmi posted:

Just don't look too hard or nothing'll make sense.

Sniper triggered BULLETSTORM

So the repeating Crossbow is a thing, as for the uses of Crossbows, well they've got the FE10 thing going on (They don't count Strength) but they still grab the benefit of skills. So Wade's +3 to damage so long as my HP is higher than the enemy, or Bartre's "Actually just Life and Death" do stack onto the Crossbows Mt. Their other benefit is providing a Range 1 option for the bow classes, yes even Nomads, that... probably wont be doing any one-rounding but will still provide useful damage.

Can I ask why you decided crossbows needed to be a thing? I personally didn't really like them in Radiant Dawn and I'm curious to hear what design hole you want them to fill that makes them better than just having a 1-2 range shortbow.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Ahhhahahahaha yes. This is Good. :allears:

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

cheetah7071 posted:

Can I ask why you decided crossbows needed to be a thing? I personally didn't really like them in Radiant Dawn and I'm curious to hear what design hole you want them to fill that makes them better than just having a 1-2 range shortbow.

I loved the poo poo put of them and thought the fixed damage did some interesting things by giving crossbow users a very nonlinear power curve. Getting access to a new crossbow tier made you super strong for a bit, but that strength would taper over time until that tier was borderline useless. The were very much a use em or lose em weapon in a series where I normally have hoarding issues.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

The problem with Radiant Dawn crossbows, imo, was that Archers were bad except sorta Shinon and that Crossbows were borderline useless on units that get bows as a promotion unlock (warriors particularly) because those units already have enormous strength, far better one-range options, and handaxes. Even then, they had their niche uses and were really strong in that niche.

If Omni manages to make archers more useful in MoD, which I'm assuming will be the case, then Crossbows will be fun and good.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Also we're working with less numbers here, So we can always tweak crossbow's in such a way as to... not make them useless?

More work on the Repeater crit.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Crossbows having fixed might is dumb. It adds nothing and makes balancing them a pain. Just give them reduced might from other bows like every other 1-2 range weapon.

Also repeater crit should fire 3 shots because it does 3 times damage.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
My issue with Crossbows in FE10 was that they were really good at killing fliers and literally nothing else. And flying units are almost all pretty easy to kill anyways.

Also fixed might weapons are total poo poo or break the game in half. Echoes shows this off really nicely with the levin sword where it literally trivializes the first 3 chapters and then turns into useless garbage in chapter 4 once enemies get actual stats.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

You basically forced to have a equipment treadmill for fixed might weapons, since they don't scale with stats. If you don't have a crossbow+10, it will either be way too strong in the early game or way too weak in the late game. It could work, but it's strange to have a weapon that functions more like a consumable elixir than a traditional fire emblem weapon.

In FE7, you have about a 40% average strength growth for all units, and Iron bow -> Silver bow represents a 7pt increase in might. If you assume that a typical endgame unit is level 20/10, that's 19 points of might before promotion bonuses. If an iron crossbow has 10 might, then a silver crossbow needs at least 30 might, and probably closer to 40 might.

It also means that low might archer cannot be a thing. Any character with access to bows needs to have average strength growth/bases, or they'll break the crossbow damage curve. That's fine for traditionally high might classes like warriors. But what about things like Lyn's bow-swordmaster hybrid?

golden bubble fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Feb 20, 2018

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

WrightOfWay posted:

Crossbows having fixed might is dumb. It adds nothing and makes balancing them a pain. Just give them reduced might from other bows like every other 1-2 range weapon.

Also repeater crit should fire 3 shots because it does 3 times damage.

I mean I can't agree with that, because yeah it'd be "Hey 3 for 3" or... it could be the Crossbow user going full Ham and unloading every shot they have like a Gatling Gun before reloading. The latter just seems cooler to me, and Crits are about being cool.

Zore posted:

My issue with Crossbows in FE10 was that they were really good at killing fliers and literally nothing else. And flying units are almost all pretty easy to kill anyways.

Also fixed might weapons are total poo poo or break the game in half. Echoes shows this off really nicely with the levin sword where it literally trivializes the first 3 chapters and then turns into useless garbage in chapter 4 once enemies get actual stats.

golden bubble posted:

You basically forced to have a equipment treadmill for fixed might weapons, since they don't scale with stats. If you don't have a crossbow+10, it will either be way too strong in the early game or way too weak in the late game. It could work, but it's strange to have a weapon that functions more like a consumable elixir than a traditional fire emblem weapon.

Hm... I will have to re-assess how we go about it then. I didn't realize Fixed Mt weapons would be so unpopular.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!
Meanwhile, I posted this in the FEH thread, but it also feels extremely relevant here:

The independent tallies for sales on Fire Emblem Heroes in its first year are in, and the results are that it's been making the dollar money.

https://sensortower.com/blog/fire-emblem-heroes-first-year-revenue

quote:

Nintendo’s Fire Emblem Heroes is the Kyoto-based gaming giant’s most successful mobile game to date, earning an estimated $295 million in worldwide player spend during its first year of availability, according to Sensor Tower Store Intelligence data.

For comparison: for what we know of the sales data for Awakening and Fates, FEH has made, in its first year, well more than double what those two games made lifetime, each. FE Switch, if it sells for $60 at launch, will need to sell five million units in order to match the sales volume of FEH. (And given mobile dev costs, making as much profit will likely take far more.)

It's definitely got me wondering what lessons IS and Nintendo are going to take away from this. And drat it feels weird to see FE making that much dosh.