Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

if the actual afterlife works anything like the one in this show then each and every poster on this website except maybe the guy who started that school charity drive is going to hell

Many goons are locked into dead end retail jobs and will poo poo post on this dead forum until they breathe their last - doesn’t get more bad place than that!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
https://mobile.twitter.com/TheAtlantic/status/963445490909097984

https://mobile.twitter.com/DarcyCarden/status/963557836448874496

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

Positing that insignificant things peeve you get you negative points: -85738584.774

Posting about posting that negative things that peeve you get negative points:-5747839385858848448532

This post: +834.386345 points

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Abstract artificial construct?

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Only Good Place adjacent, but I stumbled upon a page that listed all of the Rewards and Punishments from the 1996 game Afterlife, and I knew there was at least one like this. I'll edit or post more if I find them:

Faux Heaven

Many of the Slothful Damned believe that they deserve to be in Heaven, little realizing that their lazy ways have earned them a place in Hell. For these self-deluded fools, Hell hath created these cheesy replicas of Heaven. They're just like the real Heaven...except that they suck.

Illuminatiland

One of a handful of "phony Heavens" that dot the landscape of Hell, Illuminatiland is one of the most nefarious. It seems just like Heaven to the incarcerated, but after a while they begin to suspect that things "just aren't right." They begin to notice conspiracies operating just out of the corners of their eyes, and shadows lurking where none were present before. When the Damned try to tell their friends about "the Big Lie," they're initially receptive, then are mysteriously co-opted by the mysterious "Men in Black." Eventually, the Damned collapse into gibbering paranoia, spouting theories so insane that even Oliver Stone would dismiss them as "too wacky."

e: poo poo, I thought there were more than just the two...

MisterBibs fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Feb 17, 2018

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Lutha Mahtin posted:

i was curious what kind of name "d'arcy" was and oh. oh no..

ahahahaha

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Is Brooklyn 99 worth checking out if I loved this show? I liked the first few seasons of Parks and Rec but started to find the characters really exhausting by the end.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Lester Shy posted:

Is Brooklyn 99 worth checking out if I loved this show? I liked the first few seasons of Parks and Rec but started to find the characters really exhausting by the end.

Yeah, Brooklyn 99 is strong beginning to end. I think The Good Place is better, but there's some really great stuff in 99.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Lester Shy posted:

It's got strong characters. If you don't like them to begin with, you won't like the show.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

That said Charles does get better. Overall it's got the same issue parks does that the characters are fun but wear thin over the years.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

Lester Shy posted:

It started out good, but by the end of the first season I had mostly lost interest, and didn't watch more . But I feel the same way about almost all american comedies, The Good Place is the exception.

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

I spent SOOO much time playing that game back in the day.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
Brooklyn 99 is very good and maybe one of the best shows ever in terms of opening scenes. All of the pre-credits openers are hilarious. Fortunately/Unfortunately B99 has a strong YouTube presence meaning a ton of great clips are readily available. It also means they crack down hard and any clip not on their channel gets taken down, so its impossible to find things like The Full Bullpen, or Charles various Halloween bits.

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

there's nothing wrong here in montana

hangedman1984 posted:

That game has a legit amazing soundtrack.
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLCE64622F1BDA2CCC

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Welcome back to the Liturgigoon thread, friend.
Afterlife was great, but iirc it was really, really really hard. Really good art direction too.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
^ It was only difficult until you had enough penny income from souls to start auto-balancing stuff. You were in the (general) clear after that. Just keep Bats Out Of Hell running constantly (because bat-pooped-on structures are put out Bad Vibes which is ideal for hell), never build the first Hell reward structure, and your only impediment is that Heaven will become a nightmare because 1996 didn't have the technology to model traffic very well. And convince the planet that reincarnation is bullshit, because gently caress those anti-alignment buildings.

hangedman1984 posted:

:same:

Between it and Diablo 2, the first reveal of The Good Place was practically spoiled for me going into it. You could've had Ted Danson's name be Jasper.

MisterBibs fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Feb 18, 2018

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
so which was the right hat?

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Snooze Cruise posted:

so which was the right hat?

The one Chidi didn't pick, duh.

It's so obvious.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I knew someone like Chidi in terms of their ability to make decisions quickly. It's absolutely infuriating, specially when you're out to dinner with them. Place that only sells like 5 things and the server comes over? Everyone else can make a snap choice, but when you get to them it's "Ohh, uhhh, uhhhhh oh god I only read through them once. Ummmm. No, no I'm not ready, oh you'll come back? Thanks" and then since we didn't have our poo poo together the server comes back like 10 min later because the place is busy as hell and then the dude still takes another few min to get his order out of his mouth and then seems worried he ordered the "wrong" thing the entire wait.

They were also vegan but would never ask "oh is X vegan?" they'd instead ask a million individual ingredient questions. "Does the bun have an egg glaze?" "Is there mayo in the sauce?" and so on, then send the food back if it had some non-vegan ingredient they forgot to ask about.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Oasx posted:

It started out good, but by the end of the first season I had mostly lost interest, and didn't watch more . But I feel the same way about almost all american comedies, The Good Place is the exception.

I think Good Place has an advantage because it's got a really good mystery and a good setting.
Brooklyn 99 bored me because it's just a regular comedy, there's nothing to wait for.

quote:

I knew someone like Chidi in terms of their ability to make decisions quickly.
A friend of mine plays games like Chidi would. They spend everyone else's turns thinking about their own which is good - but then it's their turn and they're still considering, still wondering.
It does pay off - he's usually the winner. But it ruins it for everyone else.

I think that's what I imagine with Chidi. His indecision might pay off a lot of the time and get him the best of what he has around him. After all he managed to get from Senegal to elsewhere with an amazing job in a university! But it fucks everything up for everyone else.

Taear fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Feb 21, 2018

Tolly Totes
Oct 12, 2016

If we're free, tell me why
I can't look in my brother's eye
Hi I just finished this show and wanted to say I loved it, thanks.

e: actually I have a question. There was a bit earlier in the season when Michael is talking into one of his tape recorders and says something like "they always figure out right before-" and then gets interrupted. Does anybody know what that's about?

Tolly Totes fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Feb 22, 2018

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Tolly Totes posted:

Hi I just finished this show and wanted to say I loved it, thanks.

e: actually I have a question. There was a bit earlier in the season when Michael is talking into one of his tape recorders and says something like "they always figure out right before-" and then gets interrupted. Does anybody know what that's about?

I think it's right before they decide to condemn a demon to the bad place, Eleanor breaks the charade by offering herself and Chidi, which obviously wont work for Michael.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

Goa Tse-tung posted:

I think it's right before they decide to condemn a demon to the bad place, Eleanor breaks the charade by offering herself and Chidi, which obviously wont work for Michael.

Huh, it never occurred to me before that that was what they wanted to happen during that segment. They expected them to condemn "real" Eleanor to the bad place, which would have then left them guilt-ridden about it, but still stuck in the simulation. It always bugged me because in my mind they would have had to choose one of themselves to go to the bad place, which would mess up everything anyway.

BobbyDrake
Mar 13, 2005

Goa Tse-tung posted:

No, they though of that. Remember, they had Bambadjan ready to bust in saying he had found a way everyone could stay right after Eleanor dropped the “we’re already in the Bad Place” bomb.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

BobbyDrake posted:

No, they though of that. Remember, they had Bambadjan ready to bust in saying he had found a way everyone could stay right after Eleanor dropped the “we’re already in the Bad Place” bomb.

Which would normally be great because then two of them would get to live with the knowledge that the other two were going to throw them under the bus, or at least I assume that was how it was intended to play out.

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH
Upon my third rewatch of "Team Cockroach," I'm now fairly certain that the funniest moment in the whole show is the look that passes between Eleanor and Michael (hers disbelieving, his apologetic) when Vicki launches into her soaring rendition of "I Will Survive."

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Welcome back to the Liturgigoon thread, friend.

Baronjutter posted:

I knew someone like Chidi in terms of their ability to make decisions quickly. It's absolutely infuriating, specially when you're out to dinner with them. Place that only sells like 5 things and the server comes over? Everyone else can make a snap choice, but when you get to them it's "Ohh, uhhh, uhhhhh oh god I only read through them once. Ummmm. No, no I'm not ready, oh you'll come back? Thanks" and then since we didn't have our poo poo together the server comes back like 10 min later because the place is busy as hell and then the dude still takes another few min to get his order out of his mouth and then seems worried he ordered the "wrong" thing the entire wait.

They were also vegan but would never ask "oh is X vegan?" they'd instead ask a million individual ingredient questions. "Does the bun have an egg glaze?" "Is there mayo in the sauce?" and so on, then send the food back if it had some non-vegan ingredient they forgot to ask about.

:sever:

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

BobbyDrake posted:

yes, but the question was "when do they always figure it out" :v:

I think Eleanor never ever condemns anyone to the Bad Place (as she knows it)

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

Ivr watched both seasons in the past 72 hours . I didnt realise there was gonna be an s3, i actually thought it ended s2 in such a good place that it was the end

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

I have recommended this show now to several friends and family members, and none of them seem to like it.

I am in the Bad Place. :smith:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Dang, you need new friends. Everyone I’ve recommended it to has loved it.

Tequila25
May 12, 2001
Ask me about tapioca.

Neon Noodle posted:

I have recommended this show now to several friends and family members, and none of them seem to like it.

I am in the Bad Place. :smith:

The only person I know who didn't like it is my mother-in-law. She hated the Jianyu reveal, and thought Jason was kinda scummy.

We tried showing my 10 year old daughter the first episode, and she literally "NOPE"-ed out of the room after Janet played the sound clip from the Bad Place.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Your daughter’s going to the bad place sorry to tell you

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Good news!

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/22569038/jacksonville-jaguars-reach-3-year-extension-qb-blake-bortles

suddenlyissoon
Feb 17, 2002

Don't be sad that I am gone.
My wife actually hates the show. We started watching it together and she made it through 3-4 episodes and bailed. I recently got her to watch the first season and she bailed again.

Of course, she has poor taste and did marry me.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Okay, so I just binged through the entire show. I love it. I love everything about it. I called being in secret hell the moment Eleanor revealed she didn't belong, but a lot of the rest of things caught me off guard.

Since you've all been here a lot longer than me, how accurate have thread predictions been? Because they destroyed Westworld for me, in many ways, and I love surprises, but I also love speculating and talking about TV.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

LividLiquid posted:

Since you've all been here a lot longer than me, how accurate have thread predictions been?
They range from "incorrect" to "hilariously incorrect."

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

LividLiquid posted:

Okay, so I just binged through the entire show. I love it. I love everything about it. I called being in secret hell the moment Eleanor revealed she didn't belong, but a lot of the rest of things caught me off guard.

Since you've all been here a lot longer than me, how accurate have thread predictions been? Because they destroyed Westworld for me, in many ways, and I love surprises, but I also love speculating and talking about TV.

goons are very good at speculations, I generally never read tviv threads while a season is current (and the show actually uses good "twists")

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

We can be sure that all of the goon predictions were tried in one of the simulations

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
In the iteration where Eleanor and Tahani were paired up as soulmates, does that mean Chidi and Jason also were?
:thunk:

• Locked thread