Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat

Godholio posted:

I've actually had a gas pedal get stuck (throttle rod got snagged on the oil pressure gauge's feed line), and these people are full of poo poo and need to have their licenses removed.

I had the throttle cable on my folk's Windstar get sticky at ~4k RPM. I hit the brakes, put it into neutral and got off the road until I figured out what was going on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!
Yeah I've had it happen in a couple of cars, a first gen Neon and an early 90s 328is. It surprises you then... well you fix it. Either you pop the gas pedal back up with your foot while putting it in neutral or just putting it in neutral. You could also use the brakes. Or just turn the car off.

People really need to learn how to be drivers, not steering wheel operators.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Wrar posted:

I had the throttle cable on my folk's Windstar get sticky at ~4k RPM. I hit the brakes, put it into neutral and got off the road until I figured out what was going on.

Yeah, I popped into neutral, watch the tach try to bury itself in 0.00000001 seconds and turned the key off, then coasted to the side of the road. Easy. Even in traffic.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Basically, it's a combination of people a) not knowing how to operate their cars and b) panicking and losing their ability to reason (if they had it).
It's disturbing that the guy who triggered the Toyota witch-hunt was cop, and still panicked and was unable to stop or shut down the car.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Darchangel posted:

Basically, it's a combination of people a) not knowing how to operate their cars and b) panicking and losing their ability to reason (if they had it).
It's disturbing that the guy who triggered the Toyota witch-hunt was cop, and still panicked and was unable to stop or shut down the car.

It wasn't a black car, of course a policeman wouldn't know how to kill it.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:
You should have to pass an Unintended Acceleration simulator before you're allowed to drive anything faster or more reliable than a geo metro.
It would keep a lot of people off the road and help GM Suzuki make a lot of money. Exxon wouldn't like it, though...

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull

Darchangel posted:

I mean it wasn't exactly a witch hunt... http://www.safetyresearch.net/Library/BarrSlides_FINAL_SCRUBBED.pdf

weg
Jun 6, 2006

Reassisted Retrogression
So if his gas pedal wasn't stuck and he faked this episode, what is the endgame? Get on the local news, impress girls at the bar about the time you couldn't control your car? I'm not saying I believe him at all I just can't understand the motive for faking this.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

weg posted:

So if his gas pedal wasn't stuck and he faked this episode, what is the endgame? Get on the local news, impress girls at the bar about the time you couldn't control your car? I'm not saying I believe him at all I just can't understand the motive for faking this.

Simplest answer is he got caught speeding and figured it was a clever trick to get out of paying a ticket.

Fraud answer is he wants to get rid of the car and figured if he rose a stink BMW would compensate somehow.

Or maybe the computer actually did freak out and he couldn't actually stop the car. Unlikely but possible.

weg
Jun 6, 2006

Reassisted Retrogression
Those scenarios make sense, but they seem so easily debunked only an idiot would attempt them.

I guess I have my answer.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

To understand the idiot, you must become the idiot.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
"What would I do if I was a total loving moron?"

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Darchangel posted:

Some cop somewhere literally shoots himself in the foot pretty regularly.

They’re not immune to making mistakes.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Platystemon posted:

Some cop somewhere literally shoots himself in the foot pretty regularly.

They’re not immune to making mistakes.

Point.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

weg posted:

I don't doubt that he honestly thought he was in mortal danger the entire time and that he had no way to extricate himself from the situation.

Because he is a completely brain-dead fuckwit. He could call 911 but couldn't nudge the shifter into neutral? As my Scottish cousins would say, Get Tae gently caress.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Memento posted:

I don't doubt that he honestly thought he was in mortal danger the entire time and that he had no way to extricate himself from the situation.

Because he is a completely brain-dead fuckwit. He could call 911 but couldn't nudge the shifter into neutral? As my Scottish cousins would say, Get Tae gently caress.
Excuse me, sir, but I believe you mean Awa' An Bile Yer Heid.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

BraveUlysses posted:

i really liked his podcast, especially this episode, but after realizing that he's one of the biggest mainstream authors who perpetuated the broken windows theory (which is pseudoscience bullshit) I can't take anything he says seriously. you dont get to walk that back by saying "oops sorry" and maintain your credibility.

The issues that led to "Tipping Point" and the broken windows stuff being such a shitshow are present in all his other books. He hasn't changed his approach during his entire career. His success and the people who praise him allow him to overlook detractors. He also doesn't seem to be a guy to look back much. Always a new topic, always a new work, never re-examine your old stuff.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

BraveUlysses posted:

i really liked his podcast, especially this episode, but after realizing that he's one of the biggest mainstream authors who perpetuated the broken windows theory (which is pseudoscience bullshit) I can't take anything he says seriously. you dont get to walk that back by saying "oops sorry" and maintain your credibility.

I can't say I'm a fan: https://shameproject.com/profile/malcolm-gladwell-2/

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

Godholio posted:

Yeah, I popped into neutral, watch the tach try to bury itself in 0.00000001 seconds and turned the key off, then coasted to the side of the road. Easy. Even in traffic.

Same. It happened to me while I was very young and inexperienced to boot (I was a 18-19y/o p plater and in my rx3). Neutral and then key off one position.

I read/listened gladwell and it's ok from a "that's interesting" perspective, but it's just pop culture 'what if thoughts'. I also think he's full of himself, but whatever to pass my time.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
Hell, mine's been as benign as a poor fitting floor mat getting stuck on the accelerator, unexpected acceleration happens

I want to say that people who can't shift into neutral in that case shouldn't drive, but I had a buddy call me for a jump because he didn't put his car in Park before turning it off and couldn't turn it back on. Most people don't know what the N, L, or 3 on their shifter mean

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Christ what an rear end in a top hat

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

Memento posted:

He could call 911 but couldn't nudge the shifter into neutral?

I don't think there's a passenger vehicle out there that can out-accelerate its brakes. If your car is stuck going, holding the brakes down firmly will stop the car.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Nocheez posted:

I don't think there's a passenger vehicle out there that can out-accelerate its brakes. If your car is stuck going, holding the brakes down firmly will stop the car.

I'm legit curious about this, does this get tested? I tried finding examples on youtube and there's not much (it's mostly runaway semi videos). I hestitate to link to a consumer report video but it's all I found of someone really demonstrating the different modes. Main downside is it's 7 years old now and I'd hope newer cars have better systems:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KoIIT0WJS4s&t=20s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VZZNR9O3xZM

Prius seems to overpower the engine well (yay an advantage for wimpy engines!):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YiSQeaeWxGU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Car and Driver did their own tests back in 2009 across three cars and the only thing they found any potential issue with was a Roush-modified Mustang when trying to stop from 100 MPH with the throttle pegged.

The big caveat to their Camry and Mustang test vehicles (neither of which cut power when you stand on both pedals) is that these tests were performed on brakes in otherwise good condition. This thread alone has plenty of photos that look questionable to perform even one non-emergency stop from 25 MPH. However, given that even the Mustang did eventually stop, and that the BMW in question will cut the throttle in a true both-pedals situation, there's no way this guy was actually on the brake at all.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are
I vaguely remember a driving instructor discussing what to do with a runaway car. The idea was to use the environment to slow it down (aka, sideswipe the nearest guardrail or barrier) while you try and get into neutral and find a soft place to crash.

Tho after getting charged out the rear end for leaving a paint streak on a Jersey barrier in a fender bender, I don't recommend touching anything if you can help it.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

If whatever you're driving has something less than 600hp, it's not like your runaway car will magically careen out of control unless you freak the gently caress out. Popping it in neutral takes what, a second at most? If you've got enough control to "look for a soft place to crash" you should have enough control to stop safely without it.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
The problem is people are too gentle with their brakes, and cook them, so they're useless.

You need to really lay on the anchors properly right from the get-go.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

IOwnCalculus posted:

If whatever you're driving has something less than 600hp, it's not like your runaway car will magically careen out of control unless you freak the gently caress out. Popping it in neutral takes what, a second at most? If you've got enough control to "look for a soft place to crash" you should have enough control to stop safely without it.

For sure. Everything after, "put it in neutral," was advice in the sense that, "if you get mauled by a bear, play dead," is your last resort when you should have avoided the bear in the first place.

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!

InitialDave posted:

The problem is people are too gentle with their brakes, and cook them, so they're useless.

Not even on the race track. I was at an HPDE over the weekend and everyone seemed to be babying their brakes big-time. People just don't have any idea how hard you can lay on those things.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

InitialDave posted:

And then we're right back at the root problem, that people don't know what they're doing.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Dave Inc. posted:

Not even on the race track. I was at an HPDE over the weekend and everyone seemed to be babying their brakes big-time. People just don't have any idea how hard you can lay on those things.

To be fair, it seems like learning just how late you can brake is one of the hardest things to teach yourself. Especially since the consequences for braking too late are far worse than the consequences for braking too early (assuming other drivers are paying attention).

But in an emergency situation, stand on that fucker.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

That's why every kid's education should involve a few days at a race track with huge runoffs. It's one of those things where you can only learn by doing.

Also, a giant empty lot full of snow. You wanna learn how to countersteer? That's how you do it.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Dave Inc. posted:

Goddamn lizard brain

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

IOwnCalculus posted:

Car and Driver did their own tests back in 2009 across three cars and the only thing they found any potential issue with was a Roush-modified Mustang when trying to stop from 100 MPH with the throttle pegged.

The big caveat to their Camry and Mustang test vehicles (neither of which cut power when you stand on both pedals) is that these tests were performed on brakes in otherwise good condition. This thread alone has plenty of photos that look questionable to perform even one non-emergency stop from 25 MPH. However, given that even the Mustang did eventually stop, and that the BMW in question will cut the throttle in a true both-pedals situation, there's no way this guy was actually on the brake at all.

My googling fails me, but I recall Ford winning a case in the 1970s because they submitted video of tests showing that the car could be held on the brakes, even at Wot.

However, they got in the poo poo a few years later when someone found a copy of the video with the audio and the driver revealed that he was applying 80 lbs of foot pressure to the pedal.

That said I doubt anything made since those days of shite drum brakes would have any issues stopping it with reasonable foot pressure.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

xzzy posted:

That's why every kid's education should involve a few days at a race track with huge runoffs. It's one of those things where you can only learn by doing.

Also, a giant empty lot full of snow. You wanna learn how to countersteer? That's how you do it.

We have this here, it's legally required to participate in a driver safety training after you get your license. Includes most emergency scenarios on a controlled course.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I imagine if you lift yourself out of your seat you could apply hundreds of pounds of pressure. 80 is firm but not absurd.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I'm going to guess that a few of the newer domestics making a metric fuckton of torque will just do a smoking burnout if you hammer both pedals at a stop... and maybe cook the pads if you try it from a highway roll.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak

um excuse me posted:

I imagine if you lift yourself out of your seat you could apply hundreds of pounds of pressure. 80 is firm but not absurd.

Wouldn't work like that. You'll get more pressure seated with your back fixed against a seat that lifting yourself up.

Plus you should be able to exert more force though your leg than your actual weight.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Puddin posted:

Wouldn't work like that. You'll get more pressure seated with your back fixed against a seat that lifting yourself up.

Plus you should be able to exert more force though your leg than your actual weight.

Do you weigh more than 80 pounds? Can you stand up while holding any weight at all? Congratulations, you can apply at least 80 pounds of force to the brake pedal.

Not that I've ever sat down with a scale rigged on a pedal but I don't think 80 pounds is going to feel all *that* hard. I will admit that for driving around town I do prefer a heavily boosted / low-effort pedal like my Jeep has, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
The average American weighs 170 pounds. If one of their legs can't apply half of their bodyweight in pressure to the ball of their foot when flooded with adrenaline and with good leverage, I don't know what to say