Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
Realm Grinder: I think I might be misreading or misunderstanding something. The last Drow faction upgrade says the Combo Strike bonus will be applied passively; that should mean I wouldn't have to cast it for my profits to go up, only for the percentage to grow, right? Yet there is a noticeable drop in my production when the spell is not active.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Kiranamos posted:

On the new NGU patch it says now only specific items need to be merged in inventory, but I'm still having to merge everything - not sure if I missed something.

It's as it relates to the Auto-Merge feature. To prevent shenanigans (mostly with Ascended/A^2 Forest Pendants), it originally meant that it wouldn't do the last merge to 100, but now it's only transforming items that need to be done in-inventory.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Samuringa posted:

Realm Grinder: I think I might be misreading or misunderstanding something. The last Drow faction upgrade says the Combo Strike bonus will be applied passively; that should mean I wouldn't have to cast it for my profits to go up, only for the percentage to grow, right? Yet there is a noticeable drop in my production when the spell is not active.
I checked and it used to say "part of" because it was only like a third of the actual bonus, but it definitely now implies it would be the whole thing. Either the text has changed but the functionality didn't, or it's applying passively and actively.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Assuming they haven't reworked it at some point, the Drow challenge 5 reward, which applies to all factions, is 5% of your alignment spell (Holy Light, Blood Frenzy, or Gem Grinder) bonus is applied passively. Meaning you get that 5% regardless just by having the challenge benefit ticked, and if you actually cast the alignment spell you get an additional 100%. No clue if those are additive or multiplicative with each other (e.g. 1.05 * 2 = 2.1, or 1 + 0.05 + 1 = 2.05).

I don't know if this also applies to the A2 secondary alignment spells, nor do I know how the 5% thing interacts with spell tiers.

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

Kyrosiris posted:

It's as it relates to the Auto-Merge feature. To prevent shenanigans (mostly with Ascended/A^2 Forest Pendants), it originally meant that it wouldn't do the last merge to 100, but now it's only transforming items that need to be done in-inventory.

Makes sense. I'm way far off from anything like that. Is there a guide anywhere to make sure I'm not doing stupid things early on?

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Vil posted:

Assuming they haven't reworked it at some point, the Drow challenge 5 reward, which applies to all factions, is 5% of your alignment spell (Holy Light, Blood Frenzy, or Gem Grinder) bonus is applied passively.
They mean the base upgrades you buy with coins - DW9

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Oh, that one. The not-a-wiki's formula for that is "x, where x is your current Combo Strike bonus", so yes it sounds like it's giving the full effect passively.

Regardless, active spells are applied separately from passive upgrade buffs, so you do still benefit by casting the spell.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

NGU: Is there an obvious point to switching from energy to magic? I'm at 400k energy cap and it's just started to feel like I have more than I know what to do with (energy buster and time machine speed both start at 15-20 minutes to upgrade), but I've heard some people advising that you never touch magic until at least one million energy cap; should I just keep plugging away at cap and power for now?

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

Vil posted:

The hand-holding artifact-specific half of it isn't working, but it still properly loads your artifact RNG number and therefore the small-values tab works properly.

From there it's all about cherry-picking promising-looking small values and plugging them into the artifact equations. One of the topics on the RG Kong forums has a link to a Google Doc spreadsheet.

It's admittedly a lot more manual than fully-working Lara Crypt, but it gets the job done. My overview:

- Titan and Angel artifacts are by far the least restrictive, get them with "fairly good" small numbers and don't waste anything remotely impressive on them.
- Druid and Elf are by far the most restrictive, save your "holy poo poo amazingly good" small numbers for them. Elf is also dependent on being able to do free resets, so you may wish to get your plan in place before you actually get to the R in which you do it.
- Goblin, Fairy, and Demon, you can do a test run to see what sort of building-count numbers you can reasonably get (A400 with Goblin, Goblin bloodline for Fairy/Demon, E135 for all) and then calculate how good a small number you need. Goblin will probably need a better number than Fairy or Demon will, given how the formulas work.
- Faceless is in the same general tier as Goblin/Fairy/Demon, although the more patience you have for grinding up your brainwave headstart, the less restrictive you need to be with small numbers.
- Undead is 60% good small number (you want one which calcs out to at least 5 seconds, preferably more), 30% prep (reset/reincarnate such that the small number is above excavation #3000 in-game but not too far past that), and 10% practice and execution (save an export first!).
- Hourglass won't be useful for quite a few Rs anyway, so in the meantime take advantage of it as a way to burn through RNG numbers faster. Bear in mind that if you're above 3000 excavations and are excavating on a faction where you don't have the artifact yet, the hourglass will eat the odd-numbered chances and the faction artifacts will eat the even-numbered chances. Burn a single excavation while unaffiliated or on a faction where you already have the artifact, if a good small number falls on odd instead of even, to switch that around.

Thanks, I've been holding off on artifact sets until I'm R109 or so and this will probably help a lot. :c00l:

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

The more reincarnations you wait, the fewer excavations you're free to burn (unless you're willing to shell out for ruby resets, which I've been refusing to on general principle). By all means, wait until later to focus on it, but you might as well see if you'll have good small numbers to use in the meantime, particularly once you start reaching high enough gem counts to be able to afford getting your excavations high enough (E290 helps) for a free reset or two.

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

I haven't really looked into how the free excav resets work. Is it just 'at R gems, do max excavs and you will magically get a free reset'? Is there a button, a message or even an upgrade that resets it?

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

Merijn posted:

I haven't really looked into how the free excav resets work. Is it just 'at R gems, do max excavs and you will magically get a free reset'? Is there a button, a message or even an upgrade that resets it?

You get a free reset at a specific amount of excavations and when you use it the amount needed for the next free reset increases, so on and so forth until you reincarnate. If you click on the reset button it pops up a window that tells you about it.

NGU Idle question:
Is there any way to earn xp outside of rebirthing and killing bosses over again? I keep making long runs and without some time based way to earn exp it's becoming impossible to make any real progress without spending days offline, but I keep hoping there will be a way that doesn't require constant attention and rebirthing every half hour for dozens of runs.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

nessin posted:

NGU Idle question:
Is there any way to earn xp outside of rebirthing and killing bosses over again? I keep making long runs and without some time based way to earn exp it's becoming impossible to make any real progress without spending days offline, but I keep hoping there will be a way that doesn't require constant attention and rebirthing every half hour for dozens of runs.

Titans in adventure mode give XP, but other than that, no. Everything is pretty balanced around 30m-1h runs for XP and the a longer run here or there to build NUMBER for furthest boss progression, etc.

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

Omi no Kami posted:

Hmm yeah, 24 hours for 58 sounds like a really tough sell with my Number resetting though; I think I'm gonna save that at least until my magic has been boosted, so I can rapidfire blood rituals to rebirth.

Well the unlock condition for the 24 hr challenge is to beat the basic challenge in under 24 hours (which is also to beat boss 58)... so if you can unlock it, you can do it once.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Gully Foyle posted:

Well the unlock condition for the 24 hr challenge is to beat the basic challenge in under 24 hours (which is also to beat boss 58)... so if you can unlock it, you can do it once.

Fair point! :)

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Well I threw nine rubies at excavation resets and got the Spiked Whip. I'm too indecisive about ruby upgrades anyway (should really look 'em up) and I got enough from events and such that it felt worth it.

Now to see what to actually do with it. :v:

e: ha, I see a Mana Spring build exists now. 2-3 months.

McDragon fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Feb 18, 2018

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Merijn posted:

The cost depends on your R and how many free resets you've already done in that R. It's 2000 + 50*R + 500*free_resets_this_R. If you've done that many excavations, you can reset for free (and then you'll need 500 more, as per the above formula, to do it again), without spending any rubies. The excavation-reset button will now bring up another window with two more buttons, one with a ruby reset (no limitations outside of spending the rubies) and one with free reset. You can't use the former if you don't have the rubies, and you can't use the latter if you don't have the excavations, but the window with both buttons will show up regardless.

The other caveat to a free reset is that your production is multiplied by 1/10 until you abdicate. In most circumstances this is a non-issue - you do a free reset, then abdicate to get rid of the penalty, and get on with your life. However, the chances of the elf artifact scale with the number of free resets you've done this abdication, and that 1/10 stacks multiplicatively each time you do it if you do it more than once in a single abdication, on top of the requirement going up by 500 each time. (Read: elf artifact is a jackass.)

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
I have a sneaking suspicion they hosed up and the elf artifact is supposed to be per reincarnation.

Then again all these numbers seem way too low for anyone not using a third party tool to figure out, so

BLUNDERCATS! noooo
Oct 30, 2008

Anung Un Rama, Urush Un Rama
I just lost over a week of progress on ITRTG, can anyone upload a save or something so I don't have to start over from scratch? It literally said my online save file was broken and my last manual save was so long ago. I feel like an idiot for being confident that I wouldn't need to manually save.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
Realm Grinder: G00F doesn't say it but I'm going to assume this Scarab of Fortune is a one use thing, right? And that I'll have to luck out and dig it up again?

edit: Forget it, I Abdicated and it's gone :v:

Samuringa fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Feb 18, 2018

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Samuringa posted:

Realm Grinder: G00F doesn't say it but I'm going to assume this Scarab of Fortune is a one use thing, right? And that I'll have to luck out and dig it up again?

edit: Forget it, I Abdicated and it's gone :v:

You don't have to dig it up every time. You just have to rebuy the upgrade for 1e42 coins every abdication.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Any artifact that you successfully dig up, you keep forever.

If it grants you an upgrade though, you need to re-buy that upgrade every abdication.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Omi no Kami posted:

NGU: Is there an obvious point to switching from energy to magic? I'm at 400k energy cap and it's just started to feel like I have more than I know what to do with (energy buster and time machine speed both start at 15-20 minutes to upgrade), but I've heard some people advising that you never touch magic until at least one million energy cap; should I just keep plugging away at cap and power for now?

You shouldn't be using this. It is best time and gold wise to only invest in scissors both safety and danger. (well at the moment, Something is doing a rework of augs to address this a bit).

You'd need to be very far for it to be worth considering throwing energy into other augments. I'm at over 200k XP.

You'll likely suddenly be able to get way more time machine levels. You likely need to progress in adventure more and get a large energy multiplier on some gear.

RVWinkle
Aug 24, 2004

In relating the circumstances which have led to my confinement within this refuge for the demented, I am aware that my present position will create a natural doubt of the authenticity of my narrative.
Nap Ghost
They started the Valentines event in Tap Titans 2 with a big patch last week. It started out pretty rocky but they added several quality of life improvements in subsequent patches making the game more solid than ever. The goon clan is still going strong if anyone wants to check it out. https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3801833

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug
Just refreshed NGU...and it wiped my save, and my latest one is five days old. Rad. think I'm done with it for a bit.

something
Aug 1, 2011

Have you ever seen
The most pure look of delight
On a Babby's face?

Pillbug

Falcon2001 posted:

Just refreshed NGU...and it wiped my save, and my latest one is five days old. Rad. think I'm done with it for a bit.

I suspect you refreshed and transferred from build that was pre online-saves to post online-saves? If you let me know what kind of stuff you had I could see about sending you a file that's roughly the same stage, if you want.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

something posted:

I suspect you refreshed and transferred from build that was pre online-saves to post online-saves? If you let me know what kind of stuff you had I could see about sending you a file that's roughly the same stage, if you want.

Same thing happened to me. Fully beefed cloth set, and full power 30% tutorial cube and an about 50% sewer amulet.

Saiphae
Feb 11, 2018

Merijn posted:

Quick rundown of the "Free reset"

You have to be at so many excavations (for example, right now, at R108, it wants me to be at 7400 excavations for my first free reset.
If you use the free reset as opposed to the ruby reset, you will suffer a 90% penalty to production until abdication, and the requirement for the next reset will increase.

This is what the the reset button will tell you, but I wanted to point out the 90% penalty specifically, because people on the Kongregate forums seemed to be missing that when reading and then complaining that their production went way down.

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

Thanks! So I understand that you could do multiple free excav resets in a single R. Would reducing your production by 90% not basically prevent this?

Also a heads-up: updated versions of Lara Crypt are appearing that support the new A2 artifact sets. Here's one: https://maxxwyndham.github.io/dox4242.github.io/arch/index.html
It has a caveat about the Ancient Hourglass find chance, since it's based on the FC find chance (which is stupidly complex) but I understand it mostly works otherwise.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Merijn posted:

Thanks! So I understand that you could do multiple free excav resets in a single R. Would reducing your production by 90% not basically prevent this?

90% reduction is 1e reduction. So, no.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Merijn posted:

Also a heads-up: updated versions of Lara Crypt are appearing that support the new A2 artifact sets. Here's one: https://maxxwyndham.github.io/dox4242.github.io/arch/index.html
It has a caveat about the Ancient Hourglass find chance, since it's based on the FC find chance (which is stupidly complex) but I understand it mostly works otherwise.

sweeeet

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Been playing Endless Frontier on and off for awhile now and I'm up to 2 billion medals but not sure what to spend them on or what kind of team composition to focus on. I've gotten just enough 5* & 6* units for free to have a full team with a few spares.

So far I've got:

Human
Steam Punk
Aladdin
Griffon Rider
Flame Spirit
Cleric
Gunner (twice)
Fire Mage

Elf

Undead
Incubus
Dark Admiral
Succubus
Dark Spirit

Orc
Big Foot (twice)
Blade Master
Sorcerer
Raptor Rider

So I'm obviously not going to do an Elf team, but I'm not sure which of the others I should focus on.

I'm able to break level 1,000 about every 24 hours. The Orc Blade Master and Human Steam Punk feel like my strongest units.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
I hope this isn't taken as making GBS threads on NGU, but I wish the game were just the "Adventure" part. It's like an interactive version of Progress Quest, in a way, and I enjoy it way too much. :spergin:

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011
There's a whole bunch of idle games that are "progressively kill enemies" with loot systems and everything.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

LLSix posted:

Been playing Endless Frontier on and off for awhile now and I'm up to 2 billion medals but not sure what to spend them on or what kind of team composition to focus on. I've gotten just enough 5* & 6* units for free to have a full team with a few spares.

So far I've got:

Human
Steam Punk
Aladdin
Griffon Rider
Flame Spirit
Cleric
Gunner (twice)
Fire Mage

Elf

Undead
Incubus
Dark Admiral
Succubus
Dark Spirit

Orc
Big Foot (twice)
Blade Master
Sorcerer
Raptor Rider

So I'm obviously not going to do an Elf team, but I'm not sure which of the others I should focus on.

I'm able to break level 1,000 about every 24 hours. The Orc Blade Master and Human Steam Punk feel like my strongest units.

You still don't have a ton to work for here for the short term, but let's see what we can do. I think Human is probably your best bet at this point. You'll need to buy as many Winged Knight's as you can from the Shop of Honor. I'd say something like:

Magical Core: Flame Spirit
Physical Core: Winged Knight (Replace with Valkyrie/Pilot)
Support1: Cleric
Support2: Steam Punk (Replace with Cleric)
Support3: Aladdin (Replace with Cleric)
Support4: Winged Knight (Replace with Cleric)
Support5: Winged Knight (Replace with Cleric
Support6: Winged Knight (Replace with Priest)
Support7: Winged Knight (Replace with Priest)
Support8: Winged Knight (Replace with Priest)
Support9: Winged Knight (Replace with Priest)
Support10: Winged Knight (Replace with Priest)

Obviously you probably won't be able to afford that many Winged Knight's right off the bat, so do the best you can, throwing in the other not listed Human units as mere space fillers. Getting those Clerics and Priests will provide a huge boost eventually. Throw in any Valkyrie, Steam Punk, Aladdin, Battle Drummer, Fairy, or Hippogriff you get between now and then to replace the bad Human units.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

Gully Foyle posted:

I'm trying this challenge now and i swear that it's loving impossible with a normal working life.

I was on it resetting every half an hour last night before having to go bed and then gave it another 30 min run in the morning before going to work.

I get back home after work and the closest i get is boss 53.

I've got 1,000,000 energy, 20k magic, energy power of 25, speed 50 and 22 bars.

Other than waiting until the weekend where i can spend a solid number of hours just resetting every 30 mins until i hit 58, i'm not sure what to do.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Kin posted:

I'm trying this challenge now and i swear that it's loving impossible with a normal working life.

I was on it resetting every half an hour last night before having to go bed and then gave it another 30 min run in the morning before going to work.

I get back home after work and the closest i get is boss 53.

I've got 1,000,000 energy, 20k magic, energy power of 25, speed 50 and 22 bars.

Other than waiting until the weekend where i can spend a solid number of hours just resetting every 30 mins until i hit 58, i'm not sure what to do.

Jerk stats.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Yeah, I did a 24 hour challenge with not even half those stats, but I did it on a weekend where I could basically poke it every ~hour or so. :shrug:

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

GrossMurpel posted:

There's a whole bunch of idle games that are "progressively kill enemies" with loot systems and everything.
In fairness, most of them suck. The only one I don't hate is Battle Without End and that hasn't been updated in years (unless they snuck one in there within the last year)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

Is the forest pendant purposely a lower drop rate or something? I have everything maxed except that one is like level 60.