Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Internet Kraken posted:

You know you don't have to care that I hate the story in SPM right?
no it's cool, it's just your posts are always really negative and i don't enjoy reading them, but that's more with me tbh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
whoever said that Super Mario 3D World is the best 2D Mario game is not wrong.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I wonder why Geno and Mallow haven’t showed up in any later games. Maybe because they’re not good (or maybe they’re owned by Square)

Good game though

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
smrpg has fun personality but it's not like, actively interesting to play. it's such a primitive implementation of action commands that the further you play into it the more obvious it is that the combat is kind of messy and only really works cause you can break it really easily

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
People really love Geno despite him having a really wooden (lol) personality, so him being a tutorial guy in Superstar Saga and that's the last we ever saw of him is really funny.

Mallow is good tho

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Expect My Mom posted:

no it's cool, it's just your posts are always really negative and i don't enjoy reading them, but that's more with me tbh

I've seen far less negativity from Internet Kraken than from some people the thread trips over itself to praise tbqh

Whenever someone says "this poster is so bad" I'm always like "judge each individual post, not the person who posted it" and Kraken has been a lot better lately than in the past. The general trend of most posters is to improve over time, with the obvious exception of me

Talking of posting about posters, what's hbomberguy's name on here? I keep seeing goons reference the fact that he's a goon and/or talking about how they have a personal problem with him and I guess I missed that meeting

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Jay Rust posted:

I wonder why Geno and Mallow haven’t showed up in any later games. Maybe because they’re not good (or maybe they’re owned by Square)

Good game though

They're co-owned by Square so Square would have to sign off on any future use of the characters. Geno was in the first Mario & Luigi as a cameo but in the remake of that game, they removed Geno.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Jay Rust posted:

Good game though

FauxLeather
Nov 7, 2016

Um Bongo
My favourite 2D Mario game is technically Donkey Kong on the Game Boy, the gameplay variance and range of movement is so fun and the 3D mario games only just manage to come close to it.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
posters are a land of contrast

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

FirstAidKite posted:

They're co-owned by Square so Square would have to sign off on any future use of the characters. Geno was in the first Mario & Luigi as a cameo but in the remake of that game, they removed Geno.

Now that Cloud goddamn Strife is in Smash there's even less of a reason for Geno and/or Mallow not to show up in some way (and not just as a Mii costume :colbert:)

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Expect My Mom posted:

I'll admit I can be very...abrasive and blunt, but that's just the voice I fell into talking online over the years. Hard to avoid talking like that when you don't even think about it. Not like that's abonormal for a lot of SA anyways.

Jay Rust posted:

Good game though

Might be due to copyright but I also think there's this weird internal decision to keep the stuff that appears in the RPG games separate from every other Mario game. There was a time back in the Gamecube/GBA era where that didn't seem to be the case. There were a lot more minor cameos then. But it seems like they actively avoid mixing characters from the two and I don't really get why.

I mean just as an example you have Odyssey where Mario travels across the world but despite visiting all these kingdoms you never see anything from the RPG games. They even made new species and places in them that are almost identical to stuff that was already in the RPG games.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

Jay Rust posted:

Good game though

Owned by square, yeah, and then square and nintendo stopped working together for like 10 years, and mario rpgs went off in a different direction

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

precision posted:

I've seen far less negativity from Internet Kraken than from some people the thread trips over itself to praise tbqh

:sweatdrop:

precision posted:

Talking of posting about posters, what's hbomberguy's name on here? I keep seeing goons reference the fact that he's a goon and/or talking about how they have a personal problem with him and I guess I missed that meeting

It's the same name

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

FauxLeather posted:

My favourite 2D Mario game is technically Donkey Kong on the Game Boy, the gameplay variance and range of movement is so fun and the 3D mario games only just manage to come close to it.

Donkey Kong '94 is a masterpiece

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Expect My Mom posted:

In my opinion it's generally v. rude and bad netiquette to butt into somebody's conversation about a game they like with nothing to add other than "it's bad" like just be happy for them you know?

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Jay Rust posted:

geno doesn't show up because he returned to star road, dumb rear end. he's very busy

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Yeah Donkey Kong 94 completely whips rear end

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

exquisite tea posted:

In my opinion it's generally v. rude and bad netiquette to butt into somebody's conversation about a game they like with nothing to add other than "it's bad" like just be happy for them you know?

I was the one who brought up Super Paper Mario in the first place though.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Feb 19, 2018

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

precision posted:

Whenever someone says "this poster is so bad" I'm always like "judge each individual post, not the person who posted it" and Kraken has been a lot better lately than in the past. The general trend of most posters is to improve over time, with the obvious exception of me

He's Hbomberguy. He doesn't post that much hey anymore. He used to post a lot in CineD and pokes his head into genchat from time to time

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

exquisite tea posted:

Agreed but wow Donkey Kong 64 was really bad, like, yikes

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Unfortunately he was recently killed by beans. Rip Harris Bomberman.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Donkey Kong 94 owns and is arguably one of the most important Mario games in the series. The way Mario has moved since after SMW mainly comes from that game

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Internet Kraken posted:

I was the one who brought up Super Paper Mario in the first place though.

I'm just speaking in a general sense, not about you.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

My only problem with hbomb is that I don't understand how someone can be so right about Bloodborne and Fallout 3 but so wrong about Dark Souls 2 at the same time.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Internet Kraken posted:

Might be due to copyright but I also think there's this weird internal decision to keep the stuff that appears in the RPG games separate from every other Mario game. There was a time back in the Gamecube/GBA era where that didn't seem to be the case. There were a lot more minor cameos then. But it seems like they actively avoid mixing characters from the two and I don't really get why.

I mean just as an example you have Odyssey where Mario travels across the world but despite visiting all these kingdoms you never see anything from the RPG games. They even made new species and places in them that are almost identical to stuff that was already in the RPG games.

tbh i'm fine with this as long as mainline mario doesn't just give up going to cool new locales again. all i want out of mario is fun 3d platforming in weird new places

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

FirstAidKite posted:

:sweatdrop:

It's the same name

oh i guess i've just literally never seen him post then, weird

and i wasn't talking about you, silly, you're never negative :)

Expect My Mom posted:

posting is a spectrum

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

precision posted:

oh i guess i've just literally never seen him post then, weird

I only really see him post in the Internet Critics thread in Rapidly Going Deaf but not very often

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

The Colonel posted:

smrpg has fun personality but it's not like, actively interesting to play. it's such a primitive implementation of action commands that the further you play into it the more obvious it is that the combat is kind of messy and only really works cause you can break it really easily

But you can have Bowser and Peach in your party so it is extremely good

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Harrow posted:

My only problem with hbomb is that I don't understand how someone can be so right about Bloodborne and Fallout 3 but so wrong about Dark Souls 2 at the same time.

To be honest I don't like his video game stuff much, other than the Dragon's Lair one, I much prefer him going insane about Dr. Who and him taking alt-right dickweeds to task

al-azad
May 28, 2009

My perception of Paper Mario is similar to the Mana series in that each one excels at something but frustratingly drops good aspects from the previous games in the series.

Like Sticker Star is a bad RPG but it really nails the level design with fun puzzles, platforming elements, or mini-games that call back Super Mario RPG (Sticker Star has the best Boo house in the series) but yeah that combat system is straight up garbage. Bowser doesn't even speak but on the other hand that dancing Blooper is the most memorable encounter in the series.

I just want them to combine the battles and partners from the original game with the level design of the current games but just like the Mana series they toss out what everyone loved from the last game and double down on the least interesting elements.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Speaking of posting, the secret is to not end your sentence with punctuation, like I never noticed until now but we’re all doing it

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

Jay Rust posted:

Speaking of posting, the secret is to not end your sentence with punctuation, like I never noticed until now but we’re all doing it

also dont forget to not capitalize your sentences

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

The Colonel posted:

tbh i'm fine with this as long as mainline mario doesn't just give up going to cool new locales again. all i want out of mario is fun 3d platforming in weird new places

I dunno, I'd like it if there was more crossover between the RPGs and the main series cause what's the harm? Like the Lochlady's in Odyssey could of been the jelly fish ladies from Superstar Saga. The snail people are nearly identical to the ones in that game too, right down to making soda. But I guess if you don't have any nostalgia for that stuff it doesn't really matter.

Harrow posted:

Actually, his DS2 video is completely correct.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
I stole all your punctuation and I'm using it in my FF8 fan re-translation!

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

th bst pstrs dnt pst vwls

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Jay Rust posted:

When I was a young child, I was very fixated on proper grammar and punctuation. It was very important to me that I type everything out perfectly. Never use internet shorthand.

it's weird to think back on that now lol

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I honestly sort of dread the day Hbomberguy makes his video defending the the Star Wars prequels

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Poops Mcgoots posted:

also dont forget to not capitalize your sentences

Sometimes do, sometimes don't. Keep 'em on their toes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

glam rock hamhock posted:

I honestly sort of dread the day Hbomberguy makes his video defending the the Star Wars prequels

:yikes:

Has he actually defended them or are you just guessing? Because... well, yikes

• Locked thread