Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

I know jack poo poo about Traeger's other than:

1. My boss told me had one of the bigger ones and that's what he used in his backyard for everything.
2. I've seen at least a little bit of their infomercials when I'm up at 5 AM and am looking for the TV remote.
3. His wife bought him the "PTG" which I assume stands for Portable Traeger Grill.
4. He brought it to work today and we unboxed it and used it on two tri tips during a ~3 hour "safety luncheon."

And I was pretty impressed. For his use case (trailer camping) it seems perfect but this relatively little guy also had just enough grill space to do two tri tips at once and was definitely generating a ton of sweet smelling (hickory in this case) smoke. I'm sure the BTU per dollar cost of Traeger wood pellets is insane. And he also had Traeger branded beef rub which is kind of a lol to me. But still, pretty impressed.

I don't think it gets hot enough (around 450 max I think) to do a steak right unless you like medium well, but for a lot of stuff it'd work great. I had to turn down the heat on the tri tips or they would have ended up with way too much char.

I'm wondering if I could get away with replacing our gas grill with one of these. We have three grills and the only one the spouse will use is the gas grill and mostly for stuff like chicken tikka masala where flavor from the heat maybe doesn't matter much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

I love my Traeger, but it’s a great smoker and a pretty iffy grill.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

My dad is definitely buying a Big Green Egg probably either today or tomorrow. Only problem is he’s getting a Large. I tried to convince him to buy an XLarge, but he doesn’t want to because A) he says we don’t need that much space (I told him about the size differences between the various Eggs and a large Weber kettle and he didn’t care), and B) he thinks the XLarge would be “too heavy” (even though I told him it’d come in pieces and we could buy wheels and a handle for it). I offered to cover the price difference to get the XLarge with my own money but he refused that too.

So... that’s where I’m at right now. I’m pissed that he settled on the smaller one, but an Egg is an Egg so hopefully we’ll be happy with it? :shrug:

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Feb 9, 2018

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Anyone have any grill table recommendations? I have a Stok with a cast iron grate I love but the legs and wheels are pretty cheap, so I just want to mount the body to a setup like people do with Eggs. Bonus points if it has a fold down top, I'd really like to put it in our pool area and not have to roll it out from the garage when I use it.

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro

Bottom Liner posted:

Anyone have any grill table recommendations? I have a Stok with a cast iron grate I love but the legs and wheels are pretty cheap, so I just want to mount the body to a setup like people do with Eggs. Bonus points if it has a fold down top, I'd really like to put it in our pool area and not have to roll it out from the garage when I use it.

I think this is a thing you have to build and install your grill body into, or you buy a Weber Performer.

bastardInABasket
May 22, 2001
Fun Shoe
Can anyone share some examples of the types and amounts of woods that were used for some past cooks? The last time I made 2 slabs of baby backs on my 18.5 WSM, I used 2 fist sized chunks of apple wood. It was fine, and I'll probably try more later. I did 5 chunks of hickory on a brisket once, and that was ok too. Whats a good amount for a brisket if I were using oak? I still feel like I'm always guessing on the amount to use. I'm wondering how the amount changes for your various cooks. Is the amount based more on the length of the cook as opposed to the amount of food? If you were cooking 2 slabs of ribs, how much more wood would you add, if any, if you were also throwing on a butt at the same time?

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

E30User posted:

Can anyone share some examples of the types and amounts of woods that were used for some past cooks? The last time I made 2 slabs of baby backs on my 18.5 WSM, I used 2 fist sized chunks of apple wood. It was fine, and I'll probably try more later. I did 5 chunks of hickory on a brisket once, and that was ok too. Whats a good amount for a brisket if I were using oak? I still feel like I'm always guessing on the amount to use. I'm wondering how the amount changes for your various cooks. Is the amount based more on the length of the cook as opposed to the amount of food? If you were cooking 2 slabs of ribs, how much more wood would you add, if any, if you were also throwing on a butt at the same time?

Oh boy, opening a can of worms.

I usually just place chunks of wood along my charcoal path (I use the snake method, minion, whatever) and when it is done it is done. Does the meat get more smoke or not depending on length no one really knows. There are arguments about temps during this and everything else. Some say 3-4 hours is enough, at that point the meat won't accept anymore smoke.

It makes the world go around yapping about it. If you like what you are making continue on. If you think you can tweak it a bit to improve (which probably 99% of us do) then do that. That's the great thing about this hobby. It really is fairly cheap and you have to really screw up to not have something edible in the end. (And yeah, that does happen)

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Colostomy Bag posted:

Does the meat get more smoke or not depending on length no one really knows. There are arguments about temps during this and everything else. Some say 3-4 hours is enough, at that point the meat won't accept anymore smoke.

Yes, it does and yes, we do. Colder meat will take on more smoke flavor which is why it drops off after a few hours. Anyone who's had a bitter, oversmoked piece of meat knows it continue to accept more smoke. These aren't great mysteries.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

I don't add wood after the first two hours, but it doesn't really taste that smokey despite the smoke ring. Amazingribs.com says the same as above that it won't accept more at that point. I'll try adding more from here and see how she goes.

ada shatan
Oct 20, 2004

that'll do pig, that'll do

Larrymer posted:

I don't add wood after the first two hours, but it doesn't really taste that smokey despite the smoke ring. Amazingribs.com says the same as above that it won't accept more at that point. I'll try adding more from here and see how she goes.

smoke ring != smoke flavor.

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

So... that’s where I’m at right now. I’m pissed that he settled on the smaller one, but an Egg is an Egg so hopefully we’ll be happy with it? :shrug:

Don't be pissed, the large is big and you're going to have tons of fun with it. You can fit a ton of stuff on it and if you get the fancy racks you can have layers.

https://ceramicgrillstore.com/colle...tomer-combo-bge

deathbagel
Jun 10, 2008

Hello smoking thread.

I decided I needed to start smoking meats and went out yesterday and purchased a Green Mountain Grills Daniel Boone with the Wi-Fi built in

This thing is magical. It was late by the time I got it all assembled and ready to go, so I just smoked a few chicken breasts on it but they were the tastiest chicken breasts I've ever eaten.

It was also super easy (I like super easy) thanks to the Wi-Fi and the app. I turned it on, set the temp to 250, went inside and put the rub on the chicken and waited until my phone told me we'd hit 250. Then I put the chicken on, stuck the probe into the thickest piece, closed the lid and went inside. My phone told me when the meat was at 165 and ready to pull off the grill. I then took it in and my roommates and I were all in agreement that it was quite amazing. I forsee a LOT of smoked meats in my future.

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

deathbagel posted:

Hello smoking thread.

I decided I needed to start smoking meats and went out yesterday and purchased a Green Mountain Grills Daniel Boone with the Wi-Fi built in

This thing is magical. It was late by the time I got it all assembled and ready to go, so I just smoked a few chicken breasts on it but they were the tastiest chicken breasts I've ever eaten.

It was also super easy (I like super easy) thanks to the Wi-Fi and the app. I turned it on, set the temp to 250, went inside and put the rub on the chicken and waited until my phone told me we'd hit 250. Then I put the chicken on, stuck the probe into the thickest piece, closed the lid and went inside. My phone told me when the meat was at 165 and ready to pull off the grill. I then took it in and my roommates and I were all in agreement that it was quite amazing. I forsee a LOT of smoked meats in my future.

Welcome to smoking meat! If you're looking for easy things to try on it, ribs, salmon and pork butt are all super simple and will come out amazing basically every time.

deathbagel
Jun 10, 2008

DiggityDoink posted:

Welcome to smoking meat! If you're looking for easy things to try on it, ribs, salmon and pork butt are all super simple and will come out amazing basically every time.

Thanks! I don't do fish but I'll definitely be trying a rack of ribs and some pulled pork. Of course, the primary goal is to tackle a brisket soon because there are no good BBQ places here in Northern Nevada so I just need to learn how to make my own.

I told my roommates that there were 3 rules for the new $700 smoker:
1) No fish, sea bugs or any sort of water based organisms.
2) Put the cover back on it after you use it.
3) If something delicious is made, save me a couple of bites!

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

deathbagel posted:

there are no good BBQ places here in Northern Nevada

Oh I dunno, I thought Butcher's Kitchen in Reno wasn't too bad.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

DiggityDoink posted:

For me pork butt is super simple and brisket is pretty simple but ribs aren't always that easy.

deathbagel
Jun 10, 2008

veiled boner fuel posted:

Oh I dunno, I thought Butcher's Kitchen in Reno wasn't too bad.

It's not bad, it's just not what I would consider good, very average, the flavor was alright but the meat that I had there (brisket, my favorite) was a bit tough for bbq. BJ's BBQ also isn't bad, but their food doesn't get as smoky as I like, it's usually cooked very well though and their Kick rear end Fries are amazing (and probably 5,000 calories.) I got spoiled when I lived in Phoenix. My friends and I went to a place down there (Thee Pitts Again) at least once a month because it was so amazing. Though I heard that they have gone downhill recently from my friends who still live there which makes me sad.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

deathbagel posted:

It's not bad, it's just not what I would consider good, very average, the flavor was alright but the meat that I had there (brisket, my favorite) was a bit tough for bbq. BJ's BBQ also isn't bad, but their food doesn't get as smoky as I like, it's usually cooked very well though and their Kick rear end Fries are amazing (and probably 5,000 calories.) I got spoiled when I lived in Phoenix. My friends and I went to a place down there (Thee Pitts Again) at least once a month because it was so amazing. Though I heard that they have gone downhill recently from my friends who still live there which makes me sad.

I've only been to Butcher's once and I would have said their brisket was above average but that's also qualifying that the average barbecue places brisket is crap (crazy dry seems to be the norm). I think even good places probably have some variation in quality though also.

Yeah I almost mentioned BJs also. The fries are indeed kick rear end. To me BJs is a pretty kick rear end diner/breakfast place that also happens to do barbecue. I love their shrimp and grits (which if the kick rear end fries are 5000 the grits are probably 8000).

Have you had Brother's Barbecue or that take out only place on the edge of Sparks? I have not.

bird with big dick fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Feb 15, 2018

deathbagel
Jun 10, 2008

I haven't tried either of those. My M.O. is that I wait for friends to go eat places, then if they tell me those places are good I go and try them myself. Nobody I know has tried them yet, so I haven't gone out of my way to do so either.

If you try them, let me know if they are worth my time or not!

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro
s m o k e m e a t

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

deathbagel posted:

I haven't tried either of those. My M.O. is that I wait for friends to go eat places, then if they tell me those places are good I go and try them myself. Nobody I know has tried them yet, so I haven't gone out of my way to do so either.

If you try them, let me know if they are worth my time or not!

I will. I hadn't even heard of the Brothers place but I'd seen the takeout place because I don't live too far from there.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Smoking a tri tip. Only the second time I've done it. Hopefully the searing portion turns out better than last time.

https://myflameboss.com/cooks/196499

I'm also assuming that one of the temp probes is going to freak out like last time and gently caress up the chart but if so I need to figure out which one it is so I can throw it away. But so far all three are agreeing with each other.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Don’t forget to burp your eggs boys. It finally got me. I no longer have a widows peak.

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

Plum Island Animal Disease Research Center. Sounds charming.
Putting on a shoulder today, excited because I haven't cracked open the smoker in like 6 months. What a crime.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

McSpankWich posted:

Putting on a shoulder today, excited because I haven't cracked open the smoker in like 6 months. What a crime.

I just finished my shoulder last night :) 225 for a LOT of hours (11.5LBS)
will be rewarming it with some BBQ sauce for daytona 500 party tomorrow.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

veiled boner fuel posted:

For me pork butt is super simple and brisket is pretty simple but ribs aren't always that easy.

My brisket always takes forever.. Probably because I don't foil.. I need to try again and foil.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Going to do some baby backs today. I'm going to see how 2-2-1 works out for them. I did some spare ribs before just 6 hours straight on the smoker and they were a little tough for me and haven't tried ribs since.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

My dumbass opinions are only outweighed by my racism.

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.
Took a pack of dino beef ribs out of the freezer. In the past, no matter how long I marinate and braise they really seem to lack any inner flavor from the wine when smoked. If I slow cook in the crock they have plenty.

Perhaps I will smoke them a couple hours and then chuck them in the wine marinade in the slow cooker.

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

Larrymer posted:

Going to do some baby backs today. I'm going to see how 2-2-1 works out for them. I did some spare ribs before just 6 hours straight on the smoker and they were a little tough for me and haven't tried ribs since.

I usually do 3-2-1 even with baby backs, but ymmv.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

My dumbass opinions are only outweighed by my racism.

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.
Just returned from our local wally world. Pork spare ribs were still $1/lb.
Really beginning to miss our backup freezer that died last summer.

Tivac
Feb 18, 2003

No matter how things may seem to change, never forget who you are
My 30" MES died about 30 minutes into smoking 6 racks of st louis ribs :(

Finishing them in the oven, wish they'd got more smoke flavor on 'em first though.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

DiggityDoink posted:

I usually do 3-2-1 even with baby backs, but ymmv.

I did 2-2-1.25 and they were decent. Could have used a little more maybe. Most times I make anything on the smoker that isn't brisket I'm reminded that it isn't brisket. :yum: Wife concurs on this one, dunno what it is that it's just so much better than anything else I've tried.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
I prefer beef ribs. You could give those a shot.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

It is done. My dad bought the large Big Green Egg. Cost nearly two grand with all of the accessories we got with it.

It’ll be here Wednesday morning.

He wants me to grill/smoke something on it sometime this week. Maybe a pork roast.

:cool:

EDIT: We got it with the DigiQ Temperature Control System, which I’m hoping was a good purchase because it sounded awesome.

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Feb 19, 2018

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

It is done. My dad bought the large Big Green Egg. Cost nearly two grand with all of the accessories we got with it.

It’ll be here Wednesday morning.

He wants me to grill/smoke something on it sometime this week. Maybe a pork roast.

:cool:

EDIT: We got it with the DigiQ Temperature Control System, which I’m hoping was a good purchase because it sounded awesome.

Smoke a butt. They're nearly impossible to gently caress up so there's zero chance it will make him regret the purchase.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I think he suggested the pork roast because we already have it. Personally I’d like to do ribs or some tomahawk ribeyes or something.

I’ll make some suggestions and see what he says.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

pork butt is a long smoke but they're kind of hard to gently caress up.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Dad wants to start with the pork roast, because we already have it and he wants to get rid of what we’ve got before we buy more food.

I don’t know what specific cut of meat a “pork roast” is though, but when I find out I’ll let y’all know so I can get some recipe ideas.

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

Don't do steaks for your first cook. You need to do a lower temp cook so that the gaskets will properly cure

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Dad wants to start with the pork roast, because we already have it and he wants to get rid of what we’ve got before we buy more food.

I don’t know what specific cut of meat a “pork roast” is though, but when I find out I’ll let y’all know so I can get some recipe ideas.

Alright we get it, you're not going to listen to the thread for suggestions (again). :v:

Enjoy the egg, I hear they're nice.