Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
Good game this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
It's very France so far, will be interesting to see if it can be properly Scotland.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Its a bit breathless so far, very few stoppages. Gray looks dead on his feet.

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012
Scotland within a score despite a litany of errors, if they cut them out they might actually be winning.

bigfoot again
Apr 24, 2007

Finn Russell quietly having an absolute shocker

MyChemicalImbalance
Sep 15, 2007

Keep on smilin'

:unsmith:

bigfoot again posted:

Finn Russell quietly having an absolute shocker

He's went backwards, between the missed touches and suspect passing he doesn't look half as impressive this year as he did the last couple.

Still tight enough going into the last 20 though.

sleep with the vicious
Apr 2, 2010
Did anyone tell France you don't have to take penalties?

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

France what are you doing?

MyChemicalImbalance
Sep 15, 2007

Keep on smilin'

Beauxis is French rugby personified.

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

My heart can't take this.

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012
The French frenched that up.

Also puts into perspective the difference in a game with break down refereeing. Scotland made a lot from Lacey tightening up on the French slowing down ball. Last week Nige gave them free rein. Although Lacey really did mess up the call on the last French maul.

Also, did Scotland kick the final penalty straight to touch?

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Good stuff Scotland. :toot:

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Good win for the jocks, finished strong as they did against Wales. Fortunately France hadn't scored 34 without reply.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

So Eddie Jones is flying in the Georgians for the England pack to train against this week. Not sure i can remember something like this happening before.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

Aramoro posted:

So Eddie Jones is flying in the Georgians for the England pack to train against this week. Not sure i can remember something like this happening before.

England warmed up behind closed doors with the Welsh before the Aussie series didn’t they?

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

Aramoro posted:

Think he's overestimating the Scottish front row a bit there.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Total Meatlove posted:

England warmed up behind closed doors with the Welsh before the Aussie series didn’t they?

Yeah, I'm more thinking about doing it during the 6 Nations.

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

:downsbravo: Niko matawalu

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

I love Leinster and I couldn't be happier that Jordie Barrett has signed with them on a short term deal.
The Ospreys are currently managing to beat The Southern Kings for the highly contested title of "The Worst Team In Rugby".

Tyma fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Feb 16, 2018

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Tyma posted:

The Ospreys are currently managing to beat The Southern Kings for the highly contested title of "The Worst Team In Rugby".

Got the BP though, somehow.

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012
If rugby is too skilled, too fast, and too warm for you, Eurosport has you covered. Snow sevens. Played on a small field covered in snow, with inflatable posts and inflatable touchline barriers, and a French announcer belting out commentary on a speaker, the best of the alpine rugby players battle it out to get frostbite.

:guinness:

There's one guy wearing a balaclava, and I have to assume that's the equivalent of the fancy dan winger in white boots.

I pay for this incredibly European sports channel.

Stitecin
Feb 6, 2004
Mayor of Stitecinopolis
I was watching highlights of the USA vs Chile match and they were making a big deal about Paul Lasike having been an NFL player. I was stoked, imagining a few NFL caliber athletes on the pitch making us a competitive tier 2 nation. Then since I haven't watched a NFL game in 5 years I looked up Lasike and found he's Auckland born and raised and had played D1 college rugby for BYU. gently caress, no code conversion trend starting after all.

Stitecin
Feb 6, 2004
Mayor of Stitecinopolis

Stitecin posted:

In other third tier nation news, Brazil beat Chile in Chile. A few years ago that would have been a shocking upset, but Brazil has really improved.

JK, Brazil still sucks at rugby. They got pumped 45-5 by Canada. Chile is 0-3 with a -79 cumulative points differential, and Brazil are second worst at 1-2 with -47 points differential.

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

Stitecin posted:

I was watching highlights of the USA vs Chile match and they were making a big deal about Paul Lasike having been an NFL player. I was stoked, imagining a few NFL caliber athletes on the pitch making us a competitive tier 2 nation. Then since I haven't watched a NFL game in 5 years I looked up Lasike and found he's Auckland born and raised and had played D1 college rugby for BYU. gently caress, no code conversion trend starting after all.

Wouldn’t having to play for 80 50 minutes and take hits without a helmet pretty much destroy the remaining brain cells of pro American football players?

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

You've probably already heard but Ian Williams the Doncaster prop died during training today. He was 27 :smith:

Stitecin
Feb 6, 2004
Mayor of Stitecinopolis

lenoon posted:

Wouldn’t having to play for 80 50 minutes and take hits without a helmet pretty much destroy the remaining brain cells of pro American football players?

I think learning to take hits without a helmet would preserve their remaining brain cells. As for playing 50 minutes, you can say what you want about the game but pro American Football players are amazing athletes and if they trained for rugby they'd be fine. Besides, one of the most fundamental rugby skills is learning when you can rest... like backs during lineouts, mauls, scrums, phases to the opposite side of the formation, rucks that aren't composed of a single wing or the full back, etc..

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Looke posted:

You've probably already heard but Ian Williams the Doncaster prop died during training today. He was 27 :smith:

Yeah that's terrible news, possibly a pre-existing but undiagnosed condition?

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

:scotland:
Scotland starting XV is unchanged from the France game, hopefully looking to have more control through Laidlaw for 60 minutes and then upping the pace with Price. None of this will matter if Finn Russell keeps playing like absolute dogshit though.

Good new is that WP Nel is healthy again and on the bench so should add some stability to the scrum later on and in the rest of the tournament and Nick Grigg comes in on the bench for Chris Harris.

Sadly I think England are just too good for a misfiring Scottish side and it'll be a 7 point win for them.

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

skipping 12547 posts to say i accidentally clicked on the rugbyh league thread and boy was i confused

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

I just had a look and apparently there's a team called "Manly Seagulls", and now I'm considering of cheating on Rugby Union.

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

:toxx: England to win or my avatars can be changed to something gay and rugby.

Russell has gone to loving poo poo because he's too busy thinking about the Lambo he's going to buy with all his France money.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I think my mass effect is broken
I'd do a toxx again, but I'm stuck with this loving thing until the mid-year tests.

MyChemicalImbalance
Sep 15, 2007

Keep on smilin'

gently caress it, my Av is 10 years old and was strangely poignant after the Eagles finally won the superbowl but I believe in green and believe in Ireland.

:toxx: if Ireland don't do the grand slam Kevin Kolb will be replaced with the most EnglandRugby.jpg anyone can find.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Vagabundo posted:

I'd do a toxx again, but I'm stuck with this loving thing until the mid-year tests.

I still can't believe you thought the boks were going to beat Wales.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I think my mass effect is broken

bessantj posted:

I still can't believe you thought the boks were going to beat Wales.

They almost managed it, damnit.

:toxx:

If Ireland win with a Grand Slam, I will donate $50 to Rape Crisis Wellington* - $10 for each win.
If Ireland win, but with a loss to Wales, I will donate $25 to Rape Crisis Wellington and $25 to RainbowYOUTH

*If enough people request it, I will do the $25/$25 to both organisations.

The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

Vagabundo posted:

They almost managed it, damnit.

:toxx:

If Ireland win with a Grand Slam, I will donate $50 to Rape Crisis Wellington* - $10 for each win.
If Ireland win, but with a loss to Wales, I will donate $25 to Rape Crisis Wellington and $25 to RainbowYOUTH

*If enough people request it, I will do the $25/$25 to both organisations.

Do both. :)

Also... The blues / highlanders game is actually good.

The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

I'll do $50 to Rainbow Youth on the Chiefs to win the Super Rugby season.

ElectroMagneticJosh
Oct 13, 2006

Lets Volt In!!

The Rabbi T. White posted:

Do both. :)

Also... The blues / highlanders game is actually good.

Blues ahead at half-time? I don't know if I can handle the inevitable disappointment when the Highlanders come back in the 2nd half.

The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

Late hit with no arms - is that not an instant card???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

The deliberate knock on rule needs to be clarified, too. SBW got pinged for something that the Highlanders did exactly the same.