Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I don't really see Hbomberguy being particularly contrarian for the sake if it. Like most of his videos aren't exactly hard sells, with his most contentious stuff being mostly argued badly by alt right idiots. Like saying Sherlock, The Killing Joke movie and Fallout 3 are bad, DS2 and NMS are okay and Bloodborne and Braid are good aren't exactly hot takes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

glam rock hamhock posted:

I don't really see Hbomberguy being particularly contrarian for the sake if it. Like most of his videos aren't exactly hard sells, with his most contentious stuff being mostly argued badly by alt right idiots. Like saying Sherlock, The Killing Joke movie and Fallout 3 are bad, DS2 and NMS are okay and Bloodborne and Braid are good aren't exactly hot takes.

I think people call him a contrarian because he thinks Dark Souls 2 is better than 1 (honestly I can see how someone would have that opinion, though, even if I don't) and the fact that he likes Batman v. Superman and the Star Wars prequels. Nothing else is all that controversial.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

Pigbuster posted:

The Star Wars prequels are very good because they introduced the best character, Ratts Tyerell, better known as "that guy in the pod race who makes a funny noise before running into a stalactite and dying".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bbY0ffM9QJs

RIP

If I could be a Star Wars character, I'd want to be some kind of Jedi. If I actually was a Star Wars character, I'd probably be that guy.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The lightsaber fights in the prequels were cool and I was sad the more recent films have almost none of that

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Sakurazuka posted:

The lightsaber fights in the prequels were cool and I was sad the more recent films have almost none of that

Hmmmmm, I'm going to say that one fight in The Last Jedi was the best in the whole series.

Yeah

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Pigbuster posted:

The Star Wars prequels are very good because they introduced the best character, Ratts Tyerell, better known as "that guy in the pod race who makes a funny noise before running into a stalactite and dying".

RIP

The dude who sells Obi-Wan death sticks in Attack of the Clones is named Elan Sleazebaggano

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Honestly as bad as the prequels are at least they settled with 3 movies there rather than going "3 movies and also another prequel and a Han Solo movie and a Boba Fett movie and a Jexter Dexter movie and-" *collapses face first into a massive pile of merchandise

I'm just tired of Star Wars.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

my 3ds battery is shot, goes from 100% to 0 in like 5 minutes. batteries are the worst!!

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Internet Kraken posted:

Honestly as bad as the prequels are at least they settled with 3 movies there rather than going "3 movies and also another prequel and a Han Solo movie and a Boba Fett movie and a Jexter Dexter movie and-" *collapses face first into a massive pile of merchandise

I'm just tired of Star Wars.
yeah disney is going to milk this franchise into the ground, its no surprise lucas regrets selling to them. at least when there were just six movies and that was it there was a certain amount of like, credibility to what was there. people cared about the prequels being bad because they constituted half the franchise. these days its already impossible to care about any individual star wars movie as its own thing.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Sakurazuka posted:

al-azad
May 28, 2009

The Last Jedi got me to love Star Wars again but if Abrams is on episode 9 I really fear he'll back peddle on everything.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I keep procrastinating on starting Celeste like I planned today, instead shitposting and watching random youtube nonsense

I'm... not sure why???

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

al-azad posted:

The Last Jedi got me to love Star Wars again but if Abrams is on episode 9 I really fear he'll back peddle on everything.
I was happy when Trevorrow was leaving Episode 9 but could hear the monkey's paw curling off in the distance when I read that Abrams was coming back.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

al-azad posted:

The amount of push back TLJ is getting over pretty much every mildly interesting thing in the movie makes me think Disney will just stick to remaking ANH again and again like they did with TFA and R1 until it stops making them money.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Raxivace posted:

I was happy when Trevorrow was leaving Episode 9 but could hear the monkey's paw curling off in the distance when I read that Abrams was coming back.

Still better than Lord and Miller being replaced by loving Ron Howard on the Solo movie.

Bobby The Rookie
Jun 2, 2005

Pigbuster posted:

RIP
Lizard man at 2:30 is also very good.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Part of me wants a Lando movie. The other part of me worries what they'd do to him.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

al-azad posted:

Hmmmmm, I'm going to say that one fight in The Last Jedi was the best in the whole series.

Yeah

I'm sorry, it seems you've mistakenly linked to the incorrect version

Yup.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

glam rock hamhock posted:

Still better than Lord and Miller being replaced by loving Ron Howard on the Solo movie.
Yeah that's another one. I don't even think Lord and Miller are great directors but they're more interesting than Ron Howard at least.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

chumbler posted:

Part of me wants a Lando movie. The other part of me worries what they'd do to him.

Isn't the Han Solo movie supposed to contain a good amount of Lando too

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Who's playing Han Solo...?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Don Glover

Edit: OK I didn't read but I honestly forgot Solo was in his own movie considering who everyone is actually talking about

CharlieFoxtrot fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Feb 19, 2018

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Sakurazuka posted:

Who's playing Han Solo...?
Alden Ehrenreich.

If you saw Hail, Caesar! he was the singing cowboy actor in that film.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Raxivace posted:

I hate it, the idea of a Star Wars movie as batshit as Book of Henry is so enticing. Suppose it'd probably be more on the Jurassic World side of things, though.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
me watching tfa in 2015: well i hate this less than the prequels
me watching rogue one in 2016: compared to the prequels these movies are literally devoid of anything approaching a unique or memorable creative vision

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Star Wars is just gonna be rebels vs. empire forever because that's the only story they know how to tell.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

George Lucas had the high ground all along

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

The Colonel posted:

me watching tfa in 2015: well i hate this less than the prequels
me watching rogue one in 2016: compared to the prequels these movies are literally devoid of anything approaching a unique or memorable creative vision

rogue one was very good though

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

exquisite tea posted:

Star Wars is just gonna be rebels vs. empire forever because that's the only story they know how to tell.
I don't even understand the political structure of the new movies, other than they found new names for "rebels" and "empire"

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I'm pleased to announce the next star wars is just a longplay of rogue squadron 2 on gamecube that I recorded

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

SirSamVimes posted:

rogue one was very good though
Man its not even the best heist movie in the last few years featuring Star Wars actors. Logan Lucky has it beat there.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Raxivace posted:

Man its not even the best heist movie in the last few years featuring Star Wars actors. Logan Lucky has it beat there.

it's more a war movie than a heist movie tbh

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Star Wars is dumb. I don't mean that in some "haha owned" way but in a "they have an entire section of Star Wars themed pet toys and costumes at the pet store" dumb way.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

rogue one was super sucky. movie was so bad

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

https://www.twitch.tv/playoverwatch

Puppybowl but with Overwatch and the puppies need to be adopted, live now

al-azad
May 28, 2009

SirSamVimes posted:

it's more a war movie than a heist movie tbh

I expected too much from Disney to double down on the war aspect. You see hints at the lovely aspects of the rebels with them assassinating civilians, you get to see the extremist insurgents but they're onscreen presence lasts all of five minutes, and you even get Jedi weaboo expats but hell if I could tell you either of their names.

Like a lot of Disney films it falls flat like an inch from the goal.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

al-azad posted:

you even get Jedi weaboo expats but hell if I could tell you either of their names.

they're the most entertaining characters with the best actors and they get shoved off to the side for half the movie

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

oddium posted:

rogue one was super sucky. movie was so bad

This is such a bad opinion, it has to be a troll.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Star Wars is dumb. I don't mean that in some "haha owned" way but in a "they have an entire section of Star Wars themed pet toys and costumes at the pet store" dumb way.

That's capitalism

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

al-azad posted:

I expected too much from Disney to double down on the war aspect. You see hints at the lovely aspects of the rebels with them assassinating civilians, you get to see the extremist insurgents but they're onscreen presence lasts all of five minutes, and you even get Jedi weaboo expats but hell if I could tell you either of their names.

Like a lot of Disney films it falls flat like an inch from the goal.

It would have been better if they went with the original plan of Jyn being a member of the extremists but apparently in the current state of the world having a protagonist who is basically a terrorist was too dangerous

• Locked thread