Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ryonguy
Jun 27, 2013

Horse Clocks posted:

Sure. you can’t magically push more bits down an older wire.

But at least do the courtesy of either
A) conveying to users it’s not working right.
B) make the connector physically different

so when I try and plug the 2001 era cable into my 8k tv it either tells me it’s only able to negotiate 8k@10hz and maybe I should upgrade my cable.
Or the plug doesn’t fit in the socket.

Instead of exhibiting one of many behaviours that mask the incompatibility.

I hear you can put words on things that tells people what the things are and that would probably be simpler than demanding a new socket type every time bandwidth goes up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Keiya posted:

you made me expect Floppotron DuckTales and now I am sad.

:toxx: if The Floppotron ever does the DuckTales theme, I listen to it on repeat during my 45+ minute commute, daily for a week (3 days of work), and upload the entire dashcam + audio footage to YouTube.

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

Zemyla posted:

No, it only tries to kill you every couple of years https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZS9iSXKMLg

The weather looks like this afternoon in the Twin Cities. Just a normal day. It's warm so it's slushy like that. 20's is way too warm for this time of year. The people driving seem to be confused. Just drive in the track. Go slow, you'll be OK. Turn off your traction control and just drive your car. You'll get there. Even the guy filming seems to insist on driving outside the track. Just stay in the track. It's fine.

Once I realized I could turn my wife's car's traction control off, my day was brighter. The thing is un-drivable in snow with traction control on. With it off, it handles great.

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

Phanatic posted:

I test-drove a Model S and the regenerative braking worked just fine above 5-10 mph. Lift up off the gas and regen instantly starts slowing you down (which is kind of cool because you can modulate your speed up and down with just the gas pedal), at least at speeds up to the 70mph or so I pushed it to. Press your foot on the brake pedal and you get friction braking.

Why would the systems in hybrids only work at such slow speeds?

When you drive an electric fork truck, you normally slow and stop via "plugging" which means you put it in reverse and hit the foot-feed. This both charges the battery, and saves you on lining wear. You really only press the brakes if you have stop dead on a slope.

It would be nice if, as drivers, we weren't treated like children and the manufacturer would give us control to use those features. Plugging just takes practice. After a few hours, you do it without thinking. Much better braking control with a load and it only a few milliseconds switch to the mechanical brakes with your foot.

I don't want my car to drive it'self. I'd love it if it worked, but it doesn't. I don't want traction control, I don't want adaptive steering, I don't want pre-braking, I don't want ABS. I don't want a touch screen, I don't want to press a button instead of using a key, I don't want voice control, I don't want traction control, I don't want my lights to turn themselves on, I don't want my mirror to dim on it's own, I don't want backup cameras, I don't want proximity sensors.

It is *my* car. I am in command. I didn't practice left foot braking and threshold braking just so have some rat bastard computer tell me I'm doing it wrong. I know what my car does, and I can stop it faster that the PCM can.

/rant off

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Phanatic posted:

I test-drove a Model S and the regenerative braking worked just fine above 5-10 mph. Lift up off the gas and regen instantly starts slowing you down (which is kind of cool because you can modulate your speed up and down with just the gas pedal), at least at speeds up to the 70mph or so I pushed it to. Press your foot on the brake pedal and you get friction braking.

Why would the systems in hybrids only work at such slow speeds?

I love engine braking like this, vtwins own for it.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

I don't know what to say other than holy poo poo the gatekeeping in this post is insane, and also a lot of what you said is completely wrong re: human reaction times versus computers with assisted braking and other features.

I'm sure you want all cars to only have open diffs, three manual speeds, no seatbelts, plate glass, drum brakes, and a max speed of 52mph. Because if you can arbitrary choose which safety features you hate based on what you are used to, then so can I.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
I'm pretty sure drivers are treated like children because 50k people die every year in automobile accidents.

I mean, there are plenty of old cars without any of those features you hate so much. I myself want to get something from the 1970's and fix it up. But holy poo poo I would never put my family in one of those rolling death traps. How I survived for 8 years driving a VW Bug with a loving javelin for a steering column the world may never know.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Look everyone, it's The Cool Guy!

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Sounds like when the Top Gear guys would wank on about how "connected" the "roadfeel" of the car would be when all the traction control settings were disabled.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

mostlygray posted:

I don't want ABS

I assume airbags take control out of your hands in case you decided to smash your face into your steering column?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

mostlygray posted:

It would be nice if, as drivers, we weren't treated like children and the manufacturer would give us control to use those features. Plugging just takes practice. After a few hours, you do it without thinking. Much better braking control with a load and it only a few milliseconds switch to the mechanical brakes with your foot.

Counterpoint: all the olds mixing up the brake and accelerator and murdering a bunch of people at farmers’ markets.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Vic posted:

I assume airbags take control out of your hands in case you decided to smash your face into your steering column?

ABS is anti lock brakes, has nothing to do with airbags. Maybe you meant SRS? I agree with the general sentiment though.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

ABS is anti lock brakes, has nothing to do with airbags. Maybe you meant SRS? I agree with the general sentiment though.
What I meant is if you do away with abs you might as well go with airbags as these were introduced as standard feature around the same time.

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

Platystemon posted:

Counterpoint: all the olds mixing up the brake and accelerator and murdering a bunch of people at farmers’ markets.

all them drat olds on their forklifts bitching about the prices on tomatoes

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Armacham posted:

I think he meant the opposite. The regenerative braking on a Prius doesn't work BELOW 7mph. Above 7mph is a combo of friction braking and regen braking.

Whoops, yeah, I accidentally the opposite word. At low speeds they can't make much braking force.

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

I don't know what to say other than holy poo poo the gatekeeping in this post is insane, and also a lot of what you said is completely wrong re: human reaction times versus computers with assisted braking and other features.

I'm sure you want all cars to only have open diffs, three manual speeds, no seatbelts, plate glass, drum brakes, and a max speed of 52mph. Because if you can arbitrary choose which safety features you hate based on what you are used to, then so can I.

I'm going to go balls out on my response here. Open diffs work. If you'd like both wheels spinning while going into the ditch, be my guest. 3 gears is plenty. Seat belts are good, safety glass is good, disc brakes are good, 60mph is a perfectly fine speed.

Humans are very good at heuristics. Machines are not. I don't need my car chattering my brakes like an old lady fighting off a bee with a broom handle. I've got it. If I'm in a turn and my front wheels break free,, I can left foot brake my rear end around a turn in a front wheel drive car. The traction control cannot. I can see that, though it's slippery right now, I'll get grip in 10 feet. The computer cannot. I know that I need to power through the snow because there is a hidden rise, the computer does not and will not let me power through.

I have spent every winter for over 10 years pushing stuck people up the hill in front of my house because their traction control leaves them stuck. You need to paddle your way up the rise. This is not old guy ranting, this is simple fact. Press the traction control off button and put your back into pushing the car and you can get them up the hill.

ABS has never saved me. Traction control has only hindered me. This is not arrogance. It is simple fact. I am not an exceptional driver. I just know my car. Don't take that away from me. I want my car to be an extension of myself. Not some nonsense machine that won't even *let* me make bad decisions.

If I die, it's by my own hand. Not because some piece of poo poo AWD system feels like it should get tail happy when that should never happen in AWD. AWD should skid evenly sideways.

Somehow, I've managed to never be in an accident in 25 years of driving normal cars. The first time I was EVER afraid of driving on snow, is when I drove my wife's car with the traction control turned on. The car was completely unpredictable. Maybe traction control is great on dry pavement, but it is not on a snow/ice mixture.

You are better at making complicated decisions than a computer. I assure you. You are fast, well trained, and decisive. You are much more skilled than any computer at moving a machine through space, even if you are a first time driver.

If one needs a computer to drive a car, one shouldn't be driving a car. I'd rather drive a Model T than a car that thinks it knows better than me.

If the car that thinks it knows better than me is right, then I shouldn't be driving. Just put a bullet in my head and throw me in the trash.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Bury me as I lived, a Freeman on the clutch

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

This is the weirdest luddite hill to die on.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
You don't get it, he's Steve McQueen reborn.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Trabant posted:

You don't get it, he's Steve McQueen reborn.

Or will be soon enough

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Are there any non-American people under 75 who still think ABS isn't great?

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

mostlygray posted:

Cars were better in 1920s

Guy lives near a snowy slope, is angry that people don't die in traffic accidents that much anymore https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motor_vehicle_fatality_rate_in_U.S._by_year

You know a guy is crazy when he say ABS and EBD is fake news.

T.C.
Feb 10, 2004

Believe.
Dude, you're really wrong about ABS. I've repeatedly done writer driving courses for work. They put you on a runway and tell you to do all sorts of stupid and aggressive things so you get a feel for things. They measure your stopping distances in braking exercises. I've driven stick with manual brakes for most of my life and am comfortable that I do a good job in snowy conditions. That being said, I can't stop anywhere near as quickly as an ABS system. I've tried it in the same vehicle with threshold braking vs ABS at full application.

Slam those fuckers on as hard as you can. It takes trusting the system to actually get the full benefit. You are not better at braking than ABS.

I would really recommend that everyone find a huge empty parking lot somewhere in a suburb in the middle of the night. Get going at a good speed, and practice slamming the brakes on literally as hard as you can until it's instinct to not try and pick a pressure in an emergency. Especially if you started driving on a car before ABS was a thing. Most people have some amount of reluctance to really just floor the brakes hard.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

T.C. posted:

You are not better at braking than ABS.

Threshold braking can outperform ABS, but it requires a driver who knows his car extremely well and keep his head cool in an emergency, plus a dry, warm and even road surface where the level of grip is predictable. So good luck on that, wannabe race car drivers ;)

ABS' greatest benefit is that it allows you to steer while braking, and as a bonus it adapts to unpredictable grip much faster than any human driver can.

Everyone should do a couple of full-on ABS stops in their cars, at least once in a while. Just to get a feel for it.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

I for one welcome our AI-car overlords and their decision to take mostlygray off the roads.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

mostlygray posted:

I'm going to go balls out on my response here. Open diffs work. If you'd like both wheels spinning while going into the ditch, be my guest. 3 gears is plenty. Seat belts are good, safety glass is good, disc brakes are good, 60mph is a perfectly fine speed.

Humans are very good at heuristics. Machines are not. I don't need my car chattering my brakes like an old lady fighting off a bee with a broom handle. I've got it. If I'm in a turn and my front wheels break free,, I can left foot brake my rear end around a turn in a front wheel drive car. The traction control cannot. I can see that, though it's slippery right now, I'll get grip in 10 feet. The computer cannot. I know that I need to power through the snow because there is a hidden rise, the computer does not and will not let me power through.

I have spent every winter for over 10 years pushing stuck people up the hill in front of my house because their traction control leaves them stuck. You need to paddle your way up the rise. This is not old guy ranting, this is simple fact. Press the traction control off button and put your back into pushing the car and you can get them up the hill.

ABS has never saved me. Traction control has only hindered me. This is not arrogance. It is simple fact. I am not an exceptional driver. I just know my car. Don't take that away from me. I want my car to be an extension of myself. Not some nonsense machine that won't even *let* me make bad decisions.

If I die, it's by my own hand. Not because some piece of poo poo AWD system feels like it should get tail happy when that should never happen in AWD. AWD should skid evenly sideways.

Somehow, I've managed to never be in an accident in 25 years of driving normal cars. The first time I was EVER afraid of driving on snow, is when I drove my wife's car with the traction control turned on. The car was completely unpredictable. Maybe traction control is great on dry pavement, but it is not on a snow/ice mixture.

You are better at making complicated decisions than a computer. I assure you. You are fast, well trained, and decisive. You are much more skilled than any computer at moving a machine through space, even if you are a first time driver.

If one needs a computer to drive a car, one shouldn't be driving a car. I'd rather drive a Model T than a car that thinks it knows better than me.

If the car that thinks it knows better than me is right, then I shouldn't be driving. Just put a bullet in my head and throw me in the trash.

You are an idiot.

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.
I've driven cars without ABS and TCS. It's poo poo. Oh you can choose to drive on the edge like a "real man" (hello toxic masculinity). Good for you Dale Earnhardt. You'll end up the same way.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

Wow that car rant was off the charts crazy. I bet you also hate powered windows and prefer hand-crank.

Anyway, to diverge the conversation, how about some camera chat. I recently bought a new phone, a brand new Xiaomi A1. I had been bothered for a while by the poor quality of my normal compact camera, a Panasonic Lumix model DMC-TZ35 from 2014, with which it's pretty hard to take decent shots indoors. I've always had the opinion that smartphone cameras were crap compared to a real compact camera, even older ones, but then I tried taking a picture of a Lego truck indoors in my living room, in the (winter) afternoon, with both cameras. To my surprise, the smartphone pictures were much, much better. Not blurry, better colors, less grainy, just a much better picture overall. Field of view was also precisely the same.

Am I doing something wrong with my compact camera, or have smartphone cameras evolved that much in just 3 years? I was just on a trip to the Angkor Wat temples in Cambodia, and dang I regret using my compact camera to take hundreds of pictures if my phone would have done a better job.

The only real benefit of the compact camera would be the superior zoom, but frankly I can't remember when I needed more than 2x zoom (which my phone has), other than taking some 20x zoomed super-long-distance pictures for fun, while on vacation.

Of course I could invest in a brand new compact camera, but I definitely don't want a big SLR-style camera, it should maximum be about the size of a pack of cigarettes.

Being small, portable and available is important for me with regards to a camera, and I'm also loving how pics taken on my phone are almost immediately synced to Google Photos. Should I just ditch the compact camera?

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

mostlygray posted:

sir this a mcdonald's drive-thru

F4rt5
May 20, 2006

anonumos posted:

I've driven cars without ABS and TCS. It's poo poo. Oh you can choose to drive on the edge like a "real man" (hello toxic masculinity). Good for you Dale Earnhardt. You'll end up the same way.

Yeah I grew up on cars with no modern amenities and ABS has saved my rear end a couple of times in situations that would otherwise end with me in a ditch. I still like turning off TC some times though, feeling the wheel slip point and modulating the gas yourself helps in those really tricky situations where the TC will just cut throttle and get you nowhere up that hill.

e: this is in winter country Norway where everyone has either spiked or non-spiked winter tyres (no all-seasons) and we have actual icy and snowy roads.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

:five: to whoever bought your new av.

sarcastx
Feb 26, 2005

I've had one experience where ABS performed worse than I knew I could on my own - queuing at the sloped driveway of a gas station in heavy snow. Despite my pressing the brake pedal at full force, the car seemed to have trouble interpreting between being actually completely stopped with having its brakes locked. As a result, the car kept stopping, then crawling forward, then repeating over and over. And as it was a '12 Legacy with an electronic parking brake there was nothing I could do. Happily the car ahead of me got a break in the traffic so I didn't run into it at 3mph.

I counter that memory with every time ABS has saved my rear end going much faster, in the dry, in the wet, in snow and slush.

mostlygray isn't entirely wrong about the "predictive" aspects of his rant - cars will get there, of course, and when they do, they'll be able to
*Apply varied brake force to individual brakes, which a human can't
*Distribute torque from left to right as appropriate, or front to back for AWD cars

And if an accident occurs, there's tons of stuff that occurs in a fraction of a second that reduces injury or assists in rescue that people don't even think about (seatbelt pretensioners, unlocking doors, engaging hazards, some cars even notify emergency services).

So I don't go to that gas station when it snows.

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.

Pilsner posted:

Wow that car rant was off the charts crazy. I bet you also hate powered windows and prefer hand-crank.

I actually wish modern cars had hand cranked windows. If the windows are iced shut in the winter, sometimes the power window motor isn't strong enough to roll the window down, with a hand crank you can apply more force to break the ice.

F4rt5
May 20, 2006

Konstantin posted:

I actually wish modern cars had hand cranked windows. If the windows are iced shut in the winter, sometimes the power window motor isn't strong enough to roll the window down, with a hand crank you can apply more force to break the ice.

Down. 1mm. Up. Down. 2mm. Up. Down *crack* YASS! up (no can do, motor burned)

This happened to me with a hand crank in the base level CX. Wore just snapped :(

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
I treated my wife to 90 minutes at the Porsche Driving Experience a few years ago. On the training track they have an area where a kick plate slaps your rear tires to the right or left as you drive over. The idea is you do it once with traction control and it's like, "whoa, what was that" and then you do it again with traction control turned off.

2 spins. That seemed to be the average. 2 to 3 complete 360's while the experienced driving enthusiast desperately tries to regain control. There are definitely situations where traction control can and should be turned off, which is why it's an on/off toggle on your dashboard. But to think you can outdrive a computer is some pretty sad hubris.

Pilsner posted:

Anyway, to diverge the conversation, how about some camera chat. I recently bought a new phone, a brand new Xiaomi A1. I had been bothered for a while by the poor quality of my normal compact camera, a Panasonic Lumix model DMC-TZ35 from 2014, with which it's pretty hard to take decent shots indoors. I've always had the opinion that smartphone cameras were crap compared to a real compact camera, even older ones, but then I tried taking a picture of a Lego truck indoors in my living room, in the (winter) afternoon, with both cameras. To my surprise, the smartphone pictures were much, much better. Not blurry, better colors, less grainy, just a much better picture overall. Field of view was also precisely the same.

Am I doing something wrong with my compact camera, or have smartphone cameras evolved that much in just 3 years? I was just on a trip to the Angkor Wat temples in Cambodia, and dang I regret using my compact camera to take hundreds of pictures if my phone would have done a better job.

The only real benefit of the compact camera would be the superior zoom, but frankly I can't remember when I needed more than 2x zoom (which my phone has), other than taking some 20x zoomed super-long-distance pictures for fun, while on vacation.

Of course I could invest in a brand new compact camera, but I definitely don't want a big SLR-style camera, it should maximum be about the size of a pack of cigarettes.

Being small, portable and available is important for me with regards to a camera, and I'm also loving how pics taken on my phone are almost immediately synced to Google Photos. Should I just ditch the compact camera?

It's all software. Your compact camera almost certainly has a bigger sensor and better lens, but your phone is rocking an 8 core CPU, gigs upon gigs of RAM, and a much better camera application to process those images so they look good. It's doing more with the images it's taking.

Compact cameras are a dead end. And I say that as someone who has some very good compact cameras that now never get used.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

sarcastx posted:

mostlygray isn't entirely wrong about the "predictive" aspects of his rant - cars will get there, of course, and when they do, they'll be able to
*Apply varied brake force to individual brakes, which a human can't
*Distribute torque from left to right as appropriate, or front to back for AWD cars

This already happens. There are 'virtual diffs' that are based entirely on braking the other wheels.

Hell, this whole statement is ridiculous, I live in a country with snow and mountains, and for shits and giggles I went down a far too steep hill in my minivan, I actually got up that hill without snowchains by letting the TCS do it's thing for a while. No one can tell me that turning it off and just putting the throttle down is any better than controling every brake individually and auto-throttling according to wheel slip. The car can literally inch itself forward this way in a way you never could.

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es
every single one of you is an idiot for not stopping by putting your feet through a hole in the floorpan fred flintstone style

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Krispy Wafer posted:

It's all software. Your compact camera almost certainly has a bigger sensor and better lens, but your phone is rocking an 8 core CPU, gigs upon gigs of RAM, and a much better camera application to process those images so they look good. It's doing more with the images it's taking.

Compact cameras are a dead end. And I say that as someone who has some very good compact cameras that now never get used.
I wish more phones had options for putting a better lens on it though, since that's the usual shortcoming of phones.

Motorola's Moto Z modular phone looks kind of neat, but the camera module is kind of pricey.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

Collateral Damage posted:

I wish more phones had options for putting a better lens on it though, since that's the usual shortcoming of phones.

Motorola's Moto Z modular phone looks kind of neat, but the camera module is kind of pricey.

The problem is putting a proper lens connector on a phone that already has zero real estate for anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS

mostlygray posted:

I’ve been an auto/truck differential specialist since 1986, and open differentials suck the dog’s rear end. While it’s true that under icy conditions, some traditional clutch-type diffs can lead to terrifying oversteer, Gleason type, hydraulic, or centrifugal diffs don’t. You can get stuck by the side of the road so easily with open diff(s) its a joke.

And at this point, unless you’re on gravel roads, ABS is wonderful, and I’m somewhat of an automotive Luddite as well. Driving an unloaded heavy-duty pickup without ABS is the shits, the rear will lock up at the drop of a hat. The first time I panic-stopped a pickup and the back didn’t try to kill me, I was a believer.