Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DaStampede
Feb 8, 2018

I'm reading his Rangers baseball jersey was a top seller after a super bowl win. I guess the Yankees have that too if the Seahawks ever win again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

They should ask Russell Wilson what Pete Carroll was thinking throwing from the 1-yard line.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Yankees spring training is in Florida

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003

mcmagic posted:

The stupid thing is that Gardner was always pretty close to as good as Ellsbury. Some years a little better, some year a little worse, and they paid Ellsbury like a billion times as much. That must annoy gardner... Either way, there has been rumors about Gardner being traded for a number of offseasons.

I just want to endlessly dunk on 2007-era Baseball America and Sons of Sam Horn, which would continuously poo poo on Gardner while endlessly praising Ellsbury. Gardner was always, always better and in a way I'm happy Ellsbury is glued to the bench and gigantic useless sunk cost for the Yankees just to prove that point forever eternally.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Kim Jong Il posted:

I just want to endlessly dunk on 2007-era Baseball America and Sons of Sam Horn, which would continuously poo poo on Gardner while endlessly praising Ellsbury. Gardner was always, always better and in a way I'm happy Ellsbury is glued to the bench and gigantic useless sunk cost for the Yankees just to prove that point forever eternally.

I still can't believe they let Cano walk and signed Ellsbury thinking that was a reasonable attempt at replacing him.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Jesse Lippin-Foster at Bronx BP wrote up the team's PECOTA numbers and it's nothing shocking except for the Bullpen bit. I didn't realize Dellin was the best projected reliever and man I hope that comes true.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

if it was his weight that was preventing him from repeating his mechanics, then the 16 pounds he lost will be key to watch over the season

also an underrated aspect is that our large adult son Aaron Judge is already fast friends with our lord and savior Dongcarlo, who will help him cut down on the Ks as a fellow large man who hits dingers

so excited for this season!!

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Inspector_666 posted:

Jesse Lippin-Foster at Bronx BP wrote up the team's PECOTA numbers and it's nothing shocking except for the Bullpen bit. I didn't realize Dellin was the best projected reliever and man I hope that comes true.

If any team in history could just rip up defined bullpen roles it's the 2018 Yankees. Come on Booney.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Going to Yankee Stadium III for the first time this summer for my birthday, any of you goons have seat recommendations?

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

anywhere in the grandstand is solid, 400 level is cheap and good and you still get a solid view of the game

my dad has people who give him tickets on occasion through his work and I got to sit in field level for a game last year. that was an incredible experience, but I really want legends tickets just for the flex

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

Let the burning of pants commence. These things drive me nuts.

Does anyone else here think that the Yankees are done spending over the cap? I think most people are under the assumption that they are sticking under the luxury tax this year so that they can reset the tax rate and be big spenders again, but I get the feeling that they’re gonna be cheap as gently caress for the forseeable future. I don’t trust the Steinbrenner kids and feel like they just don’t have the same desire to win that their dad did.

It hurts to see the Sox spending a bunch of money to fix their biggest weakness, but the Yankees are not. Instead of improving the team, they decided to make do with a lot of question marks just to save some money.

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

ihatepants posted:

Does anyone else here think that the Yankees are done spending over the cap? I think most people are under the assumption that they are sticking under the luxury tax this year so that they can reset the tax rate and be big spenders again, but I get the feeling that they’re gonna be cheap as gently caress for the forseeable future. I don’t trust the Steinbrenner kids and feel like they just don’t have the same desire to win that their dad did.

It hurts to see the Sox spending a bunch of money to fix their biggest weakness, but the Yankees are not. Instead of improving the team, they decided to make do with a lot of question marks just to save some money.

Source your quotes

They got the fuckin MVP

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Seriously, the Sox signed Martinez as a response to the Yankees. It's not an improvement that the Yankees have to "answer" back to.

I hope that resetting the tax means they spend big next year and beyond, but if they don't because Andujar stepped up big at 3B, and they have Stanton instead of Harper it seems like a net win rather than the Yankees sinking into spending irrelevance.

I guess I would like to have seen the Yankees sign Yu, but it's not like they don't have a good rotation as it stands. The entire "Oh man the Yankees pitching is gonna be iffy" storyline should have died the second Tanaka declined his opt-out.

EDIT: I was a Headley and Frazier fan but look at their numbers, it's not an impossible performance for Andujar to follow-up on. And it's not like there was an obvious slam-dunk 3B/2B out there for the team to sign.

Inspector_666 fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Feb 20, 2018

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

Cool Buff Man posted:

Source your quotes

They got the fuckin MVP

They also have ??? And ??? At 2nd and 3rd, respectively. I love CC, but I’d rather have had Darvish for multiple years than CC for 1. They also still have $22M+ to spend and have just sat on it. I love prospects as much as any other fan, but most fail. I think a lot of fans are expecting Andujar and Torres to be as successful as Judge and Sanchez.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

ihatepants posted:

They also have ??? And ??? At 2nd and 3rd, respectively. I love CC, but I’d rather have had Darvish for multiple years than CC for 1. They also still have $22M+ to spend and have just sat on it. I love prospects as much as any other fan, but most fail. I think a lot of fans are expecting Andujar and Torres to be as successful as Judge and Sanchez.

Torres and Andujar don't have to be Judge and Sanchez though, they have to be Castro and Frazier/Headley. That seems doable, especially for guys who have ranked so highly on most prospect lists.

They really have around $12m to spend given that they need to set aside money for mid-season moves/benefits. I want to see them spend it but on who?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

ihatepants posted:

I would MUCH rather have CC for 1 year and go back into the market next year than sign Darvish long term.

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

Inspector_666 posted:

Seriously, the Sox signed Martinez as a response to the Yankees. It's not an improvement that the Yankees have to "answer" back to.

I don’t buy this at all. Martinez was listed as the Sox’s main target since the offseason began because everyone knew their biggest weakness was power hitting. This wasn’t a response to the Yankees.

quote:

EDIT: I was a Headley and Frazier fan but look at their numbers, it's not an impossible performance for Andujar to follow-up on. And it's not like there was an obvious slam-dunk 3B/2B out there for the team to sign.

I agree that there wasn’t one, but I just feel like second and third are gonna be a huge negative this entire season. I would have felt more confident in the team if they only had to fill in one of these spots with a rookie, instead of both.

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

mcmagic posted:

I would MUCH rather have CC for 1 year and go back into the market next year than sign Darvish long term.

As far as free agent talent, though, none really match what you would get out of Darvish. Keuchel is the only one that’s even worth looking at because there’s no way Kershaw is signing for any team but the Dodgers. They can always look to see what’s available in the trade market next year, I suppose.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

ihatepants posted:

I don’t buy this at all. Martinez was listed as the Sox’s main target since the offseason began because everyone knew their biggest weakness was power hitting. This wasn’t a response to the Yankees.

I agree that there wasn’t one, but I just feel like second and third are gonna be a huge negative this entire season. I would have felt more confident in the team if they only had to fill in one of these spots with a rookie, instead of both.

The Sox needed power no matter what the Yankees did, but the Yankees also didn't just rest on their laurels when it came to the lineup. That was poorly phrased on my part.

I think Andujar and Torres will be positives. But even if they're just 1 WAR players, which FA out there do you want to sign? I simply don't see their infield moves as being afraid of spending money rather than a lack of good FA options/trust in their player development.

I'm honestly more concerned about the Yankees falling back into their old doldrums of perpetually blocking prospects because they need a "proven veteran" playing every position than I am about them giving rookies a shot like they have been. If Andujar/Torres/Wade combine to kill the Yankees contention this year, the team was hosed anyway, it just came a year or two earlier.

Inspector_666 fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Feb 20, 2018

humpthewind
Jan 8, 2007

Noblest of all dogs is the hot-dog; it feeds the hand that bites it.
No free agent besides Darvish really moves the needle for the Yankees this year and Stanton replacing the poo poo show that was the dh position last year is a huge upgrade.

I believe the trade deadline will be the time the Yankees make their move for an infielder or pitcher depending on performance in the first half.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

ihatepants posted:

As far as free agent talent, though, none really match what you would get out of Darvish. Keuchel is the only one that’s even worth looking at because there’s no way Kershaw is signing for any team but the Dodgers. They can always look to see what’s available in the trade market next year, I suppose.

Darvish is on the wrong side of 30 and has like 2100 innings of pro baseball on his arm. There is no way his next 5 years are going to be better than his last 5. It's just not a smart profile to sign in free agency.

If they go with Andujar and Torres they are going to have this 20m or so play with if they need to make a move during the season and they definitely have the trade chips. I really do think that Andujar will hit, it's all about his D.

mcmagic fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Feb 20, 2018

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003
How do you know the Yankees still won't sign a veteran IF for depth and competition?

This is the Yankees going back to their early 90s strategy of developing an in house core and then smartly supplementing it via FA. This is not them turning into the Mets. The Red Sox responded to NY's big acquisition today.

The rotation is good shape. I'm not sure if they'll be as crazy with spending as the past decade was, but it'd be a shock if they don't have a top 3 payroll every year moving forward. They're just being smarter though, and the economics of baseball are changing.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Kim Jong Il posted:

How do you know the Yankees still won't sign a veteran IF for depth and competition?

This is the Yankees going back to their early 90s strategy of developing an in house core and then smartly supplementing it via FA. This is not them turning into the Mets. The Red Sox responded to NY's big acquisition today.

The rotation is good shape. I'm not sure if they'll be as crazy with spending as the past decade was, but it'd be a shock if they don't have a top 3 payroll every year moving forward. They're just being smarter though, and the economics of baseball are changing.

The rotation is in much worse shape than the IF you ask me. Their 5th starter was terrible in the second half of last season so he's not a given and CC and Tanaka are both at least moderate injury risks.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

personally my only complaint about the Yankees is the thread title for this thread

all the people posting here aren't that bad! don't lump us in with Trump for god's sake

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003
It's a fifth starter, who had a sub-4 ERA, and a 4.22 ERA post ASG. Montgomery's numbers were strong outside of July. Everyone has risks. I don't think adding an actual fifth starter, who would be considerably worse than Montgomery and creates other problems, is that pressing. But would I rather have a Jaime Garcia type as my first or second replacement for an injury? Sure.

Teams that wouldn't trade places with the Yankees in an instant: Astros, Dodgers, Indians. That's about it. This is the second or third best team in baseball on paper with a consensus top 3 (they're probably 2nd behind the Braves) farm system.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Overreacting to the Red Sox signing JD Martinez is pretty loving lolworthy

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Its very Steinbrenner-esque.

I'm a little iffy on the rotation but there wasn't really anyone on the market I wanted the Yanks to go all out for, including Yu. I mean, I would have been happy with Yu but by all accounts the Yankees went for him and he passed. So I'm not a fan of just moving down the line and signing the next best available. The rotation isn't THAT much of a concern. They can go into April with this rotation and its a long season to see who becomes available in the minors or trading block.

Going into a season with 3 or 4 guys penciled in but question marks is a really, really, really good position to be in.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

The yankees traded a bunch of no-name prospects and starlin Castro for Giancarlo loving stanton and people are complaining that the Red Sox Signed JD Martinez, what a world

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, if you're a Yankee fan and you're not just fantasizing about Stanton-Judge-Sanchez I don't know what to say.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

I have literally spent a few days this winter watching home run compilations for the big three, the hype is so sick

I literally watched ESPN's simulcast of the first BP session lol

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Paul Zuvella posted:

Overreacting to the Red Sox signing JD Martinez is pretty loving lolworthy

He's VERY good.

Kim Jong Il posted:

It's a fifth starter, who had a sub-4 ERA, and a 4.22 ERA post ASG. Montgomery's numbers were strong outside of July. Everyone has risks. I don't think adding an actual fifth starter, who would be considerably worse than Montgomery and creates other problems, is that pressing. But would I rather have a Jaime Garcia type as my first or second replacement for an injury? Sure.

Teams that wouldn't trade places with the Yankees in an instant: Astros, Dodgers, Indians. That's about it. This is the second or third best team in baseball on paper with a consensus top 3 (they're probably 2nd behind the Braves) farm system.

Cobb and Lynn are pretty likely to be better than Montgomory. I would actually stick with him but it's not like there isn't room for improvement there and like I said, It's gonna be a sure thing that CC and Tanaka will at least spend some time on the DL.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

mcmagic posted:

He's VERY good.

He's... fine? He is a terrible defensive player and is 30 coming off of a season where he outperformed his career OPS by 200 points. Calling JD martinez VERY good seems extremely shortsighted.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Paul Zuvella posted:

He's... fine? He is a terrible defensive player and is 30 coming off of a season where he outperformed his career OPS by 200 points. Calling JD martinez VERY good seems extremely shortsighted.

https://twitter.com/ktsharp/status/965772741705129984

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

JD Martinez is good.

The point is its so typically Yankee Fan to freak out about the Red Sox adding a good piece on the same day that the reigning NL MVP takes batting practice in a Yankee uniform.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

STAC Goat posted:

JD Martinez is good.

The point is its so typically Yankee Fan to freak out about the Red Sox adding a good piece on the same day that the reigning NL MVP takes batting practice in a Yankee uniform.

I'm not freaking out but I'm also not making plans for my world series flights yet which it seems like a lot of fans are.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Well that's also stupid. Its a long season and any one counting their playoff appearance in February is just a homer or a fool. Yankees are in a good position to do well with either set pieces or pencilled in options and a good system to supplement mid season. They won 3 games in the ALCS last year and got better. That's all you can reasonably ask for.

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

My complaint wasn't that the Sox signed Martinez, even though he is a very good hitter. It's that the Yankees are somehow scared to spend money to improve the team, even marginally, when the Sox are willing to spend over $230 million this season (~$60M more than the Yankees) I get that the Sox already reset their luxury tax, but it's not like the Yankees are hurting in revenue that they can't afford to pay that tax. Couple that with Steinbrenner's quote from a few years ago where he said you don't have to spend $200 million on a team, of course I am concerned that they would rather pocket the money than spend it on the team like George used to do.

The entire offseason had rumors about shipping out Ellsbury for salary relief so that they can make more moves, when they used to just eat those contracts in the past. The Sox just basically did that with Sandoval. Instead they're gonna keep Ellsbury on the team and limit the roster flexibility even more with possibly six outfielders, just because they can't afford to cut bait with a player they don't really need (or want?).

The fact that they have to "save" the $10M just so they can make a midseason move is incredibly annoying from a fan perspective that doesn't give a poo poo about the money.

ihatepants fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Feb 20, 2018

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

ihatepants posted:

My complaint wasn't that the Sox signed Martinez, even though he is a very good hitter. It's that the Yankees are somehow scared to spend money to improve the team, even marginally, when the Sox are willing to spend over $230 million this season (~$60M more than the Yankees) I get that the Sox already reset their luxury tax, but it's not like the Yankees are hurting in revenue that they can't afford to pay that tax. Couple that with Steinbrenner's quote from a few years ago where he said you don't have to spend $200 million on a team, of course I am concerned that they would rather pocket the money than spend it on the team like George used to do.

The entire offseason had rumors about shipping out Ellsbury for salary relief so that they can make more moves, when they used to just eat those contracts in the past. The Sox just basically did that with Sandoval. Instead they're gonna keep Ellsbury on the team and limit the roster flexibility even more with possibly six outfielders, just because they can't afford to cut bait with a player they don't really need (or want?).

The fact that they have to "save" the $10M just so they can make a midseason move is incredibly annoying from a fan perspective that doesn't give a poo poo about the money.

The Luxury tax is a bitch and it's very apparent that it makes the richest of the rich squeamish at this point. I think people just have to get used to Baseball having a salary cap until it is removed, which it 100% should.

The bigger question is, again, who do you want the yankees to spend money on? Yu Darvish obviously would be good and they should have went after him, but Andujar is one of the most highly regarded prospects in baseball, as is Torres. Both are major league ready, or are close to major league ready. Signing a dude obviously blocks them, so whats the point of signing a stopgap? If they get through spring training and Andujar doesn't seem ready, then Mike Moustakis can be had on a 1 year contract, most likely.

Spending money just to spend money would be loving dumb, and sometimes the best decision is to do nothing.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Trust me, the Yankees tried to trade Ellsbury. He won't wave his NTC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Yes that is what's keeping the yankees from trading ellsbury, not the fact that he sucks and is paid a lot of money.

• Locked thread