Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

taels
Oct 19, 2012

K:CID:X
Concerning the rep system and a good thief:
Quick is there a benefit to paying Miller pechek the money you owe him, that's a lotta gold right now but I don't really need it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

junan_paalla posted:

I saw some streamers die to that part over and over like a day after launch. If you mainline the main quest to that point without spending any time training, gearing up and getting used to the combat in between quests and skip the optional objectives to weaken the encounter, you're going to do about as well as a noodly-armed 19-year-old kid rushing into the situation would. I spent an hour watching a guy slap on the heaviest armor he can find and equip a weapon he can't swing properly, waddle in overburdened and start flailing at the NPCs and fail the quest over and over. Then proceed to die to the boss over and over until they land a clutch headshot, because they can't beat the boss in combat. And like half an hour later end up having to redo it because the game didn't save after the cutscene.

A 19 year old that's been training to be a blacksmith since he turned 12 or whatever should not be noodly armed. Guy should be pretty drat muscular, especially in the upper body.

Cool Post Beg
Mar 6, 2008

DADDY MAGIC

Scherloch posted:

I don't know if you ever got a response to this, but: do the traps one by one. Save before dropping, drop, run away and come back after a minute or so to pick it up. When you get to the last one, save before picking it up and then don't save, sleep, fast-travel or wait, just pick it up and ride straight back to the huntsman and turn it in. I kept running into the same issue, and some people on the internet told me that the game freaks if you do any of the things mentioned after picking up the last trap but before turning it in. I saved, picked up the last trap and galloped straight back to town and managed to get through the dialogue with the guy and complete the quest.

The infuriating part is, after a while I found similar internet posts so I tried just that, and after finally getting it just right (because the cages have a tendency for me to disappear half the time regardless of situation), I rode my horse all the way to that son of a bitch to get soft locked in a conversation that never started. As far as I am concerned if the reward for the quest isn't Bianka herself it's not worth the time I've put into it.

Knobb Manwich posted:

help i'm dying

e: unfortunately after a moment the visual bug goes away, I wasn't able to shoot him full of sword

I need the mod that adds weapon inventory to your quiver like a medieval Rock-It Launcher yesterday

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Charlz Guybon posted:

A 19 year old that's been training to be a blacksmith since he turned 12 or whatever should not be noodly armed. Guy should be pretty drat muscular, especially in the upper body.

My Henry has been slacking off in the tavern that whole time

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

taels posted:

Quick is there a benefit to paying Miller pechek the money you owe him, that's a lotta gold right now but I don't really need it

If you wanna live fast and loose you can sell the starter sword for like 190 and buy a cheaper weapon. Since the starting sword does like half damage until you level up agility a bunch you can get a weapon that does the same damage for way cheaper. Presumably by the time you get Agility up to 7 you'll probably have found a better weapon or enough money to buy one anyway

Rock Puncher
Jul 26, 2014
whats that wayfarer? You want to duel? I'd rather decline, strangle you and take all your poo poo

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Is sparring/training locked out until I finish the Ginger quest?

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

:aaaaa:
I forgot to comment on this earlier, but hot drat! That is loving amazing! I heard they used satellite imagery to build the terrain, and I have to say this feels more like a ~real place~ than any other game I've played. The landscape of Witcher 3 is beautiful and stark, but the landscape in KC:D puts the former Gold Standard almost to shame. It was mentioned in one of the reviews of the game, but their attention to detail and the many nods to realism have made the gritty reality of 1403 Bohemia feel more fantastical than any fantasy game.

Charlz Guybon posted:

They sold 500,000 copies in the first two days, so a sequel seems assured.

I have visited the Castle of Prague and it is awesome.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prague_Castle

It's too bad the Sedlec Ossary isn't all skeleton'd up yet, but maybe they could fudge the dates on that.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sedlec_Ossuary

Yeah, the city was walled in, so it creates a tight playzone for a DLC, and Prague Castle itself was abandoned during the Hussite Rebellions (spoiler alert for anyone who goes drinking with the priest in Uzhitz: they can totally burn a university professor at the stake), so there is certainly an interesting story to tell there. Pretty sure the Pope even declared a Crusade against the locals, so there's all sorts of fun to be had!

Also, :lol: at the last few pages:

Knobb Manwich posted:

If you're seriously saying "game mustn't be buggy because I personally haven't experienced a bug" you should probably stop. Maybe offer a prayer of thanks or buy a lottery ticket. My favourite trivial bug so far was stealth killing a sleeping guy, getting discovered and having to running away and fight the pursuers for a few minutes. Then I came back, went to loot the dead guy and found another dude sleeping on the body.

SnoochtotheNooch posted:

Idk what you want to hear but I haven’t had any bugs/graphical glitches. I even went toward a bush and started hump jumping into it trying to get stuck. I’ve been murdering randoms and seeing if I get weird Criminal tags but nope. The only thing I’ve noticed which may have been related to a bug is getting horrible rep in Rattay after killing some wayfarers out in the woods where there was nobody else around. But I was also robbing the gently caress out of everything at the start. And I accidentally tried to pickpocket the sword merchant right to his face and got chased out of town, I was like over an hour from my last save so I just waited around for them to forget.

MiddleOne posted:

You're an idiot. It is completely possible both for you to have a bug-free experience and for others to not have one.

SnoochtotheNooch posted:

I was just teasing that autist that got mad about me saying the bugs aren’t that bad. Also, those are minimal requirements dummy. As in “here’s what you have to have in order to have the bottom of the barrel experience playing this game.” Look at the recommended hw.

VanillaGorilla posted:

Hi, I have a plenty modern processor and a 1070 and I've still run into plenty of bugs that have nothing to do with performance. For example, I purchased permanent access to an inn room outside of Rattay and now the door to the room simply doesn't function anymore. Similarly, I've run into situations where the NPC scripting just starts to break down - for example, if I attempted to non-lethally solve the "witches" quest in Uzhitz, the encounter scripting would just break and you'd get stuck.

Similarly, plenty of people have pointed out that collision detection on stairs is pretty hosed. I've gotten Henry stuck in plenty of places just trying to move around normally.

None of that has poo poo to do with your build. I like the game but let's not pretend that it's surprising that a small-studio produced a super-buggy open world game. It's a tough thing to do.

I made this for the E:D thread but I guess we should have it here, too.

Charlz Guybon posted:

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

My Henry has been slacking off in the tavern that whole time

I think in both cases he would looks more like this, which is, at the very least, noodly armed (singular):

The Lone Badger posted:

Is sparring/training locked out until I finish the Ginger quest?

Pretty sure you can do it any time after the first session with Bernard, you just have to ask. Be warned: he will teleport you back to Rattay to do this.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Henry's mom has to wake him up at the crack of noon or some poo poo, he clearly doesn't give a poo poo about learning how to blacksmith and his dad knows better than to let his idiot son do anything but whittle the hilts of swords. He's noodly-armed for a reason.

taels
Oct 19, 2012

precision posted:

If you wanna live fast and loose you can sell the starter sword for like 190 and buy a cheaper weapon. Since the starting sword does like half damage until you level up agility a bunch you can get a weapon that does the same damage for way cheaper. Presumably by the time you get Agility up to 7 you'll probably have found a better weapon or enough money to buy one anyway

Eh kinda just curious if that makes any sort of difference. Quick googlefu led to a wiki page about a quest that appears to be data mined indicating so.

Soarer
Jan 14, 2012

I JUST CAN'T STOP TALKING ABOUT OTHER PEOPLE'S PONY AVATARS

~SMcD
So I'm riding along the road and just as it's getting dark I end up passing a camp. I figure I'll stop for the night and pull over. In the camp there is a chest so I check it out. Turns out it's loaded!

... so I guess I'm pretty set now...

Also it says "steal" but none of it is actually marked stolen after I took it.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

taels posted:

Do the quest instead, it's important.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Soarer posted:

So I'm riding along the road and just as it's getting dark I end up passing a camp. I figure I'll stop for the night and pull over. In the camp there is a chest so I check it out. Turns out it's loaded!

Word on the street is that is an end game chest that is supposed to be locked until you finish the main quest.

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
So I guess my game bugged out and won't let me save anymore. I really don't want to lose 2 hours of progress. Guess I'm just keeping the game open until I beat it or I lose interest.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

I forgot to comment on this earlier, but hot drat! That is loving amazing! I heard they used satellite imagery to build the terrain, and I have to say this feels more like a ~real place~ than any other game I've played. The landscape of Witcher 3 is beautiful and stark, but the landscape in KC:D puts the former Gold Standard almost to shame. It was mentioned in one of the reviews of the game, but their attention to detail and the many nods to realism have made the gritty reality of 1403 Bohemia feel more fantastical than any fantasy game.

Ahah, that makes sense. This picture:

Looks virtually identically, apart from some rotation, to what you see if you bug the alchemy bench and ascend into the sky in Rattay.

I mean, apart from all the cars, but still.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Soarer posted:

it helps somewhat, but you still need skill and levels to not die easy.

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
Oops nevermind I guess the game crashed and decided I have to replay that bullshit pestilence thing again

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011

Dapper_Swindler posted:

gently caress the the dickheads hunting ginger. they are tough as gently caress and i am cheap mother fucker who exploited the st george glitch. so i ended up just sneaking in at night and caving the ones head in and then just brute forced the other dude to death. i could have trained in stealth, but he wanted obscene prices and was a criminal, so i killed him

Throughout the mission the Captain yells at you if you do anything without letting him know first. If you do keep reporting back to him he’ll send a guard with you to the dying bandt and his friend in the woods. And if you find the two guys hunting ginger, run away and and report back, you can ask him for a hand and he’ll teleport you, himself and three Rattray Guards to their camp and shred them himself. Bernard is a beast.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

KyloWinter posted:

Oops nevermind I guess the game crashed and decided I have to replay that bullshit pestilence thing again

That being said, there is actually a bug that prevents you from saving more than ~300 times. You need to load your save, go into your Windows profile, delete all the saves from the KCD folder, then alt+tab back in and save again, which will put you back to save #1.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
I'm trying to do the archery competition to win the keg of wine for the wedding, but my game seems to freeze up on the loading screen when the archery master starts the competition (the little loading icon just spin and spins) every time. Has anybody else encountered the same problem? This is the only time it's happened so far in my game.

taels
Oct 19, 2012

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Do the quest instead, it's important.

I got that but you can do both, but i think not paying you get a hit to rep but an extra quest later

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Major Isoor posted:

That being said, there is actually a bug that prevents you from saving more than ~300 times. You need to load your save, go into your Windows profile, delete all the saves from the KCD folder, then alt+tab back in and save again, which will put you back to save #1.

I think this is only if you use the autosave mod. I'm just using the mod that makes saviour's schnapps non-consumable and my save is up to 400.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
if you have the super powerful sword you won't get much sword experience because you kill stuff in one hit

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Yeah, the city was walled in, so it creates a tight playzone for a DLC, and Prague Castle itself was abandoned during the Hussite Rebellions (spoiler alert for anyone who goes drinking with the priest in Uzhitz: they can totally burn a university professor at the stake), so there is certainly an interesting story to tell there. Pretty sure the Pope even declared a Crusade against the locals, so there's all sorts of fun to be had!

Yeah, Bohemia despite being a wealthy center of power during this period is also wracked by a lot of unrest and is involved of a lot of broader European power struggles. It's the perfect place for a young man like Henry who's bootstrapped his way up from being a blacksmith apprentice to a wealthy man at arms to continue moving up the social ladder.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Real Cool Catfish posted:

Throughout the mission the Captain yells at you if you do anything without letting him know first. If you do keep reporting back to him he’ll send a guard with you to the dying bandt and his friend in the woods. And if you find the two guys hunting ginger, run away and and report back, you can ask him for a hand and he’ll teleport you, himself and three Rattray Guards to their camp and shred them himself. Bernard is a beast.

well poo poo. too late now i guess.

corn in the bible posted:

if you have the super powerful sword you won't get much sword experience because you kill stuff in one hit

hasnt worked like that for me yet. basically you need to have the appropriate strength/agility levels to unlock full potential with weapons.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Charlz Guybon posted:

Yeah, Bohemia despite being a wealthy center of power during this period is also wracked by a lot of unrest and is involved of a lot of broader European power struggles. It's the perfect place for a young man like Henry who's bootstrapped his way up from being a blacksmith apprentice to a wealthy man at arms to continue moving up the social ladder.

yeah, your living in the beginning of the end of feudalism.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
My main complaint re performance is dropping below 60-55fps so I'm playing on High with v high textures and models atm. Looks fine thoug ill try some of those ram useage tricks people are suggesting.

Othwr compliant is that geeting into conversation isnt very fluid. Always get that 3 second fade to black before the talking starts. It's nitpicky but I would like it to be more like TES where it seamlessly pops up the convo menu.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
If you have a super high sword skill and a good sword you can take on groups of 5 armored dudes by just perfect parrying them and Henry will instantly murder people like he's raiden

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof

Major Isoor posted:

There's no way I have 300 saves. It's like save 60. It wouldn't save after any quest, sleep, or let me even use a potion.

SnoochtotheNooch
Sep 22, 2012

This is what you get. For falling in Love
So far my biggest disappointment with this game is that after learning to read and becoming charismatic for being so well read, Henry still sounds like a dumb bland yokel. Also having murdered a bunch of innocent people now idk why he still has any qualms about doing something slightly illegal like robbing.

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

Man, Ulrich is a badass. I had a feeling a fight was inevitable so I stole everything but his underwear while he slept and he still showed up naked wanting to box me in full plate.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

I hope that someone comes up with a mod to reduce sway when drunk. It's kind of cool but makes me feel sick watching too much of it

SeaWolf
Mar 7, 2008
Trip Report:

So i went hunting east of Uzice to work on my bow skillz and killed a couple bucks and hares... but after i cooked them all outside town to avoid the poaching penalty and went back in to the trader and grocers and I still had plenty of meat to go back to Talmberk on a gallop to sell the rest.. or so I thought. The poor rear end 'trader' had practically no groschen on him so I said gently caress it, let's ride back to Rataje on the most direct path possible before nightfall. Can't fast travel because I've overloaded poor Pebbles and I'm still overloaded myself so we're gallopping all the way towards the marker. OOPS!!!! I forgot I finished the bandit quests for Cpt. Bernard and I'm on the bandit camps for Robard... and I ride right into the patrol for the camp I'm supposed to eliminate for him.

loving Cumans unhorse me when I ride right into them without even realizing it. Their archer fires an arrow into poor Pebbles and I'm thrown from the saddle! poo poo... got to drop all the cooked meat I'm carrying. That's a good 500 groshcen right there!! It's 3 of them and that archer against me. They keep outflanking me and I know I'm not going to win with a stab here and there against each one of them even in my brand new brigandier armor from the noble wayfaring knight I rematched and defeated for his armor!

I turn tail and run. I have enough stamina to call Pebbles back to me and ride enough away to corner one of the Cumans. I shoot a few arrows in haste at him, missing each shot. He unhorses me again when he sprints up to me striking me 3 times knocking my stamina to nothing.
Kurva!!! I circle him preparing to block; out of breath waiting for the strike that takes me down. But I'm armored, I can take his lovely slashes against my plate and mail. He kicks me to the ground and I get up, parry his strike and stab at his head. He falters and I see my opportunity to strike. I slash at his unprotected shoulder and stab into his back when he cowers and covers the strike. I slay the heathen as he writhes on the ground and narrowly dodge and arrow from his archer compatriot who has finally managed to catch up to me.
The sky opens up, rain and lightning as if The Lord was angry with the events transpiring around me. I sprint towards him, bleeding and hurt and slash at him with all my might. In a blind rage just slashing and stabbing until he falls... until well after he falls. But in my raging sprint he's managed to lodge an arrow past my mail into my neck, I can no longer see to my right. I wheel to around to my left just as another member of the patrol falls on me and I flee as fast as I can along the road, back towards the town as fast as I can. No time to call Pebbles, I must flee on my own, my health failing me, I stumble onto the outskirts of the village just as dusk settles and I am saved by the townsmen who come rushing to my aid to take on this fully armored Cuman heathen while I gather myself and pummel him with attacks while the townspeople bludgeon him. I make my final strike and slay the whorechild. Success!! This bastard was the leader of the camp, who refused to give up the chase and paid dearly with his life. I call Pebbles over, tired and hurt. I mount the saddle and saunter slowly towards the gates of Rataje where I stumble into a bed, hurt and bleeding. Victory is mine!!! And a save... Jesus be praised O_O

edit: OK now I'm loving annoyed. I didn't get to save, I'm 'still in combat' according to the game even though I've ridden to the inn at the glade... couldn't do poo poo and then gallopped to neuhof and then back to rattay and I'm still 'in combat' so i can't loving save and now I've fallen into the moat and am completely stuck. I am really pissed that this epic battle and all my skilling up is going to be for nothing if i have to reload my last save from 2 hours ago. this is REALLY loving annoying.

edit2: aaaaand the game just crashed. That loving sucks. Worst game breaking bug EVAR. And I'm pretty sure Jesus didn't have anything to do with this. Jesus be praised.
I haven't been this pissed off at a game in a very, very long time. Not even Bethesda bugginess is this much of a dick punch

SeaWolf fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Feb 20, 2018

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
Havong Henry's manner change based on if you go the knight route and skills vs thetje bandit vs the grizzled merc.

I've got a point in strength amd two in main I haven't spent yet because I don't know what is the way I want to go.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"Negotiations were going well. They were very impressed by my hat." -Issaries the Concilliator"

DreamShipWrecked posted:

I hope that someone comes up with a mod to reduce sway when drunk. It's kind of cool but makes me feel sick watching too much of it

Have you tried drinking less?

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Soarer posted:

That's some good poo poo. St George's is the best longsword in the game, and if there's any better plate than the mag stuff I haven't seen it

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Just found out that the drunken lock picking perk can push you over the edge into picking Very Hard locks :getin:

adhuin posted:

Have you tried drinking less?

Have I tried what

(But really the head Bob makes me unable to drink anything but one beer no matter my drinking skills)

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Feb 20, 2018

beefart
Jul 5, 2007

IT'S ON THE HOUSE OF AMON
~grandmaaaaaaa~
I have a love hate relationship with this game. Like, the combat is infuriating and extremely satisfying in equal measure, and I can live with frame rate lockups in Rattay every 2 seconds because the rest of the game world is goddamn beautiful.

I’m sure people have talked about this to death in the last 50 pages, but what the hell is with that bathhouse sequence in Rattay? Did Czechs really bathe fully clothed in the 1400s? I mean, considering that there’s a quest later where you get shitfaced with a debauched priest and get your gently caress on like 5 feet from and his lady, it’s just goofy that you bathe in shirt and pants.

Soarer
Jan 14, 2012

I JUST CAN'T STOP TALKING ABOUT OTHER PEOPLE'S PONY AVATARS

~SMcD

Neurosis posted:

That's some good poo poo. St George's is the best longsword in the game, and if there's any better plate than the mag stuff I haven't seen it

I think I might hold off on using that stuff so I get to experience being a piss poor peasant for a little longer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rock Puncher
Jul 26, 2014

Gridlocked posted:

Othwr compliant is that geeting into conversation isnt very fluid. Always get that 3 second fade to black before the talking starts. It's nitpicky but I would like it to be more like TES where it seamlessly pops up the convo menu.

To be fair, I'd take a short fade to black in a TES game if it meant Bethesda's writing didn't make me feel like I'd been transported to a planet of spergs.