Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

:colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

cat_herder
Mar 17, 2010

BE GAY
DO CRIME

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?
None of us have anything better to do on a Saturday night?

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

CourValant posted:

None of us have anything better to do on a Saturday night?

Well some of us would like to read something BUT

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Hexenritter posted:

Nah, I love the spergy in universe stuff. I almost wrote an orientation guide for new Athenian Technocracy subjects at one point

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

:shepspends:

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

:stare:

so, uh, I guess that means you guys want me to write more huh

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

Hexenritter posted:

:stare:

so, uh, I guess that means you guys want me to write more huh

Karia
Mar 27, 2013

Self-portrait, Snake on a Plane
Oil painting, c. 1482-1484
Leonardo DaVinci (1452-1591)

I- I'm sorry. I don't know how to tell you this, but...

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

:negative:

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug
:tinfoil: What are we doing now?

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

trying to guilt me into writing that guide :colbert:

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug

Hexenritter posted:

If you voted to kill Fabs and then go back in time to kill Oneoh then you wouldn't need to write it.

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

The next update should be done entirely in SA smilies.

Karia
Mar 27, 2013

Hexenritter posted:

I'd never do that! I'm trying to guilt you into writing more in general :colbert:

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

Blasphemaster posted:

The next update should be done entirely in SA smilies.

:black101: :commissar: :argh: :allbuttons:

What do you do?

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

Loel posted:

What do you do?

:heysexy: :science: :ssj: :roboluv: :pervert: :sparkles: :cthulhu:

Karia
Mar 27, 2013

:eng101: :sun:

:science: :supaburn:

:eng101: :30bux::30bux::30bux:

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Karia posted:

I'd never do that! I'm trying to guilt you into writing more in general :colbert:

Well that's alright then. And I'd like to. I've just been trying to mull some scenes or scene stems over in my head in the off hours while taking care of the missus. Just having a hell of a time trying to come up with engaging content.

I mean, I'm definitely down with taking requests if there are bits from any of my exhaustive character POVs people want to see.

We don't do smut though and the discord doesn't have an NSFW channel any more so no, outside of comic relief we won't be seeing Blackfinger's tentacle todger.

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

Hexenritter posted:

We don't do smut though and the discord doesn't have an NSFW channel any more so no, outside of comic relief we won't be seeing Blackfinger's tentacle todger.

I always knew you were a Todger Tease. :ocelot: :)

Karia
Mar 27, 2013

Hexenritter posted:

Well that's alright then. And I'd like to. I've just been trying to mull some scenes or scene stems over in my head in the off hours while taking care of the missus. Just having a hell of a time trying to come up with engaging content.

I mean, I'm definitely down with taking requests if there are bits from any of my exhaustive character POVs people want to see.

I get the feeling, just giving you crap. Writing is goddamn hard and real life keeps getting in the way. This stupid work project has a real way of draining all my enthusiasm for everything.

Just remember: if we can pressure you into writing more then we can go after Cour next.

quote:

Aww, shucks. I guess we just need someone to write about his... personal sidearm.

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

Karia posted:

Just remember: if we can pressure you into writing more then we can go after Cour next.

:argh:

Karia posted:

Aww, shucks. I guess we just need someone to write about his... personal sidearm.

Actually I haven't forgotten, one of my 'to-do's' is writing about Blackfinger's Sidearm AI.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Post more, Cour :mad:

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

Hexenritter posted:

Post more, Cour :mad:

That's the plan; the start to the year has been rough, both at work and at home. However, things seem to be calming down, so, I hope to be able to write a thing or two soon.

It'll be something 'lighter' in nature; I don't feel up to channeling 'Shuttle Mom' right now.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Loel posted:

What do you do?

This could literally be like any hundred different update post/responses in this thread rofl. It's perfect.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

CourValant posted:

That's the plan; the start to the year has been rough, both at work and at home. However, things seem to be calming down, so, I hope to be able to write a thing or two soon.

It'll be something 'lighter' in nature; I don't feel up to channeling 'Shuttle Mom' right now.

Yeah we've all been wondering where you've been buddy, hope things are getting better.

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

Hexenritter posted:

Yeah we've all been wondering where you've been buddy, hope things are getting better.

Thanks buddy, its nice to be missed. :respek:

Karia
Mar 27, 2013

Same sentiment. Your writing was kinda what prompted me to throw my own hat in the ring, so here's hoping everything calms down soon (so you can get back to writing for our entertainment.)

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

Karia posted:

Same sentiment. Your writing was kinda what prompted me to throw my own hat in the ring, so here's hoping everything calms down soon (so you can get back to writing for our entertainment.)

Awww . . . shucks, you guys . . . :sparkles:

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

quote:

From: Plautus Vindyne, Magos Informaticus 3°, Integration Studies
To: Kimiko Tantalus, Magos Prime 6°, Psychosocial Engineering & Doctrine, Integration and Orientation Project Overseer.
Re: Guide Preface

The basic draft of the document is geared toward populations of Standardised Technological Level 3 and higher, with a focus on removing religious dogma. MI2° Cestus Brule and MI2° Jiang Zhe are presently working on the STL1 and STL2 treatments for tribal and feudal uplifts respectively. - Plautus

Congratulations on the successful liberation of your world, $WORLDNAME, by the valiant forces of the Athenian Technocracy, led in your sector by $FLEETCMDR of $FLEETFLAGSHIP. If you are reading this, then you have undergone basic orientation and the formalisation of your citizenship within the Athenian Technocracy via legally binding oaths. You have also been given a Citizen Serial Implant, which carries your legal credentials, work history and assignment, credit balance and other pieces of information that will help you in your day to day interactions with the representatives and infrastructure of the Athenian Technocracy.

Do not tamper with or attempt to remove your CSI, as you will be unable to pay for goods and services, receive payment for your labour, access public property or many other amenities. You will also be flagged for interception by a peace officer.

You, as a full-fledged citizen of the Athenian Technocracy, are entitled to benefits such as
  • Prophylactic and ameliorative healthcare
  • Standardised education.
  • Aptitude testing
  • Vocational training
  • Vocational placement
  • Living space sufficient for you and your family based upon your world's population growth needs.
  • Relocation and placement to a station or world better suited to your aptitudes and vocation.
  • and many more. See Chapter 13, Benefits and Entitlements, speak with a Citizen Advisor or access the local infogrid and ask for citizen entitlements.

You are also permitted to spend your hard-earned Athenian Obolii on many of the wondrous new technologies and amenities that Athenian Technocracy worlds provide, such as genetic and synthetic modifications and enhancements, convenience products and home augmentations that may seem magical to you in light of the oppressive technological ignorance the Hegemon and Martian Technocracy forced upon you.

eh, I dunno, getting there

Hexenritter fucked around with this message at 12:36 on Feb 19, 2018

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

Hexenritter posted:

. . . Athenian Obolii . . .

A what now?

Also, I'd like to see the 'full menu' of 'magical technological improvements' please; gonna order on and off the menu! :)

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

CourValant posted:

A what now?

Also, I'd like to see the 'full menu' of 'magical technological improvements' please; gonna order on and off the menu! :)

Hooboy, that would be one exhaustive list.

Hexenritter posted:

Slice of Life: Bank of Mars Vaultworld Eta Vulpecula II, Northern Galactic Overquadrant

+++Update Type: Standard Operating Procedure Adjustment+++
+++Update Scope: Ubiquitous+++
+++Update Priority: Immediate, Priority 1+++
+++Issued By: Comptroller-General, Bank of Mars+++
+++Content Follows+++

Subsequent to cataclysm on Terra, all Hegemon-Technocracy treaties are considered void. Adherence to terms of such is no longer required by Technocracy law. Henceforth the Terran Denar is no longer accepted as valid, endorsed currency by the Bank of Mars. Martian Denar coinage is to be phased out in favour of the newly-minted Martian Sesterce on all Martian Technocracy worlds and installations. All future transactions shall use the Martian Sesterce or equivalent in precious minerals or metals.

------

>>Athenian Technocracy Quantum Communications Node E-3716<<
>>Protocol Update: Finance & Foreign Policy<<
>>From: Bank of The Aethenium<<
>>To: All Registered Retail & Merchant Houses<<

To counter asset endorsement problems and hostile manipulation of the Athenian stock exchange, the Athenian Obol is the only recognised currency within Athenian space. In light of ongoing border expansion and prosecution of hostilities against the fanatic Hegemon and Hegemonist Technocracy, their currency carries no guarantee of endorsement within Athenian space. Commodities remain an acceptable equivalent. Traders with grandfathered import/export warrants are permitted to trade outside of Athenian borders after presenting them for review in person on Vaultworld Muspell. Failure to register a warrant in this manner may lead to smuggling charges and forfeiture of all assets.

Karia
Mar 27, 2013

This Citizen Serial Implant intrigues me. Here's betting it's got enough tracking, observation, and indoctrination stuff built in to make the Inquisition piss their pants in jealousy.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Karia posted:

This Citizen Serial Implant intrigues me. Here's betting it's got enough tracking, observation, and indoctrination stuff built in to make the Inquisition piss their pants in jealousy.

That's just the tip of the iceberg. It's your curriculum vitae, your work permit, your biometrics monitor, your cybersocial engineering, your brain chemical modifier, your secret police hacking your eyeballs, your cells being nanophaged when you become surplus to requirements, your cranial nuke when you try to hold up a liquor store and so much more! :)

Karia
Mar 27, 2013

And now you've got me inspired. Sheee-it, I was gonna go to bed early tonight, too.

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

Hexenritter posted:

Hooboy, that would be one exhaustive list.

All this talk of Sesterces and Obols is making me want to raise a legion or two-enty thousand.

Question Time
Sep 12, 2010

Hexenritter posted:

That's just the tip of the iceberg. It's your curriculum vitae, your work permit, your biometrics monitor, your cybersocial engineering, your brain chemical modifier, your secret police hacking your eyeballs, your cells being nanophaged when you become surplus to requirements, your cranial nuke when you try to hold up a liquor store and so much more! :)

Very nice. So now we use Anna's sorcery mixed with our hacking to turn every implanted person into a zombie? Or would that count as "going bad"?

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

Hexenritter, Imagine the recent huge-rear end firefights on the Dragon turned Belecim into several dozen Action-Figure sized Objectively Nutso Mengele-Analogues aaaaaaand GO!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karia
Mar 27, 2013

Slice of Life:
Valskye
Class II Agrarian World
Athenian Technocracy

They had killed his family without a hint of emotion or regret, and then with just as little care they had killed his goddess.

Salma Sevora stands in the middle of the concourse, sweating under his jacket. They had been confused when he’d put it on this morning. Don’t you remember that we installed the weather control last week? But he had ignored them, and now he can feel the sweat beading on his brow, and knows that soon it will drip down and sting his eyes with the salt and dirt. He’ll be glad of the pain, though it is nothing compared to the pain she had felt in this spot.

Salma is sure this is the place, but he can barely recognize it. The concourse has changed, the old shops and houses gone. Almost overnight new constructions had gone up, towering constructs of glass and shining metal. The people, too, had changed. Before, they had all recognized him, stopping to say hello, a kind word or a piece of candy for Anya.

Now the mass of bodies flows around him with the effortlessness of a single mind. He can see that mind in its blank faces, eyes alight and flickering with the strange glow of the network. He knows some of the faces, has to stop himself from calling out to the people they used to be. Jerrick, who had fixed the axle on his tractor when it had snapped on a log hidden under the snow two winters before. Alisha, who had been his girl-next-door with all it implied for two years until she had lost a foot on her father’s farm and been sent to the seminary. Batrin the butcher, who had given him extra- just our little secret- when he couldn’t pay to feed his daughter. The Immortal Empress had filled them, had shone through them with all the glory and grace She entailed, until they abandoned Her.

Even the Tagmata sailed on their stomach, and Valskye had kept that stomach filled for seven hundred years. In the old days, they had done even more. Salma remembered growing up with his father telling him the stories of the crusades, when Valskyans had leapt into the stars to stand arm-in-arm against the Great Enemy. This world had fought and died for the Empress. And now, in the month since the Technocracy had arrived, they had abandoned the Divine Sovereign in favor of this new machine god.

They had forgotten what that god had done the day it arrived.

Salma had taken Anya to the city that day, on this same street. It had been her birthday. Eight years old, old enough that he’d stopped worrying that the coughs or the chills would come for her and take her away. She had asked for a new dress, even though it was already getting cold, so she could have something to look forward to when summer started. Salma had pulled extra shifts for a week to tell her yes.

They’d gotten up early to catch the shuttle, had tried a dozen stores before she made her choice. A simple spun blue sundress, modest in length and cut. He had seen her joy at trying it on, and the faint longing when the store had boxed it up for the winter. Salma asked the attendant for a scarf, something she could wear home. Despite Anya’s protests she had glowed with pleasure and pride, and he was at peace. She’d insisted on carrying the box with the dress herself.

The siren had started while they were in line for the shuttle back. He’d only heard it once before, a false alarm when an out-system sensor thought the Brood were coming. Salma grabbed her and ran, muttering prayers under his breath. Metalline hold us, shield us, protect us in our hour of weakness. He could hear the anti-air start to fire, harsh cracks and booms that he could feel vibrating his bones, drowning out the panicked screams around him.

Not knowing where else to go he’d headed back towards the shop, shoving his way against the flow of people and clearing a path for her through the busy street. The path finally opened up, the shop visible just in front of them. He’d dragged Anya behind him in a final burst of speed when the first dropship fell out of the sky.

When he’d woken up in Medical he was holding the scarf, freshly laundered and not a thread out of place. They had apologized for the aggressive landing, scheduled him for orientation to get him used to the Citizen Serial Implant, and sent him home. Later, he found out that the ship hadn’t even been hit. The Technocracy just used the term ‘dropship’ as a strategic procedure.

When they’d torn down the church, leveling over it to make a landing pad for the spaceport, Salma had remembered the stories his father told him, the martyrs of the crusades. Celica the Redeemed. Saint Enselm of the Fiery Lance. Sister Marcia Who Lit the Way.

Salma the Father. That was how he’d like them to remember him.

His shoulders ache from the heavy ANFO under his jacket, and he can feel his right fist starting to cramp from his deathgrip on the trigger. It had been easy to make, everything he needed on the farm. Nobody had thought twice when he’d taken an extra barrel home, their eyes too glazed over from bowing before the heretical machine. But now they would notice.

He closes his eyes, finishing the prayer he’d started a month before. Metalline teach us, guide us, heal us. Metalline forge us, temper us, hone us. Strengthen us so we may forsake that weakness and stand for you. For we are your sheep, your children, and your sword. Amen.

And with his eyes still closed he thumbs the switch.

Even over the heat and pain he can hear the crowd screaming, finally shocked from their electronic stupor. The glory of the Empress shall cleanse you in righteous flames. She will return the terror you felt when the machines arrived tenfold, and you will remember why she is called Belle Dame sans Merci. And maybe… Anya can rest-

It all stops. The heat dies, the screams cut off instantly without even a hint of echo. Salma opens his eyes. He is lying on the street, flat on his back. The crowd is parting around him as effortlessly as ever, turning to just miss him without even pausing to glance down. The weight of the ANFO on his chest is gone, but he still cannot move.

A drone floats into his view, barely larger than his fist. It settles on his chest, fields glowing an annoyed yellow. It hums at him. “Citizen Sevora. You are frustrating us with your lack of progress. We thought after six months you would have started to learn.” He tries to curse at it, but cannot even move his mouth.

“Perhaps the tenth time will be the charm? Just try to remember this time that we’re the nice guys here. Unlike the Imperium, we’ll always give you another shot, courtesy of that little implant in your head.” It bobs side to side for a moment, fields glinting orange in frustration. “Though I really don’t know why I’m bothering to explain this again.

“After all: you aren’t going to remember it.”

Karia fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Feb 20, 2018